Jump to content
Jetsbb

Ian Rapoport implies Jets believed Jachai Polite was a better pass rusher than Josh Allen

Recommended Posts

He has to play at his college weight to be successful, which is too light to be an every down type of guy in the NFL. Unless you possess Von Miller type athleticism and talent, which he does not. Better than some of the other dumpster-fire picks he’s made over the years, but not a huge fan. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Mac also believed that Christian Hackenberg was worth a 2nd round pick, soooo....

 

 

This remains one of the biggest mysteries in sports. Many teams had Hack rated as an UDFA. What did the Jets scouts say? Did Macc overrule them or were they in agreement? If the latter, are those scouts still employed by the Jets? What was Macc's assessment? How could he have been so wrong?

You cant get a pick so high so wrong and there be no consequences. Media hasn't dug hard enough on this.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, derp said:

And Jordan Jenkins.

To be fair, Polite is the first one who was actually a good pass rusher in college - and was a projected first rounder before he completely bombed.

It’s a dice roll but when the alternative is Lorenzo Mauldin, ArDarius Stewart, or Nathan Shepherd...the gamble on the guy who has actually shown some talent for an important skill isn’t the worst thing he’s ever done.

It will be interesting to see what the new coaches, especially Williams, get out of him. Hopefully we are in for a pleasant surprise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jet_Engine1 said:
cred·i·bil·i·ty
/ˌkredəˈbilədē/
noun
  1. the quality of being trusted and believed in.

Dumb luck

1. The occasion when the uncredible get lucky.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SMC said:

This remains one of the biggest mysteries in sports. Many teams had Hack rated as an UDFA. What did the Jets scouts say? Did Macc overrule them or were they in agreement? If the latter, are those scouts still employed by the Jets? What was Macc's assessment? How could he have been so wrong?

You cant get a pick so high so wrong and there be no consequences. Media hasn't dug hard enough on this.

Had to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Team That Drafted Leonard Williams, Lorenzo Mauldin, and Dylan Donahue To Rush Passer Gives It One More Ol College Try

Always upbeat... that's our Shame.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

The JN Josh Allen Fan Club is going to have a meltdown. 

I'm one of them, and no, I'm not.

I listened to you, and a couple of others opinion of Allen and it tempered mine. I don't claim to be an expert at rating lineman. Of course I have an opinion, but I'll listen and learn from others, then accept the outcome once a selection is made.

Meltdowns only seem to be a thing for the "anti Macc even though he isn't getting fired I'll still bitch about every single thing he does" fan club here on JN.

39 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

All the Josh Allen fans are gonna go stage a coup in Mac's office

I'm one of those who wanted Allen from the beginning. I'm ok with the QW pick, and think Polite can be a good player.

I didn't get the guy I want, but if you told me in January we'd have the two we got, I'd never believe we could've pulled it off.

  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 14 in Green said:

I'm one of them, and no, I'm not.

I listened to you, and a couple of others opinion of Allen and it tempered mine. I don't claim to be an expert at rating lineman. Of course I have an opinion, but I'll listen and learn from others, then accept the outcome once a selection is made.

Meltdowns only seem to be a thing for the "anti Macc even though he isn't getting fired I'll bitch about anything he does" fan club.

I'm one of those who wanted Allen from the beginning. I'm ok with the QW pick, and think Polite can be a good player.

I didn't get the guy I want, but if you told me in January we'd have the two we got, I'd never believe we could've pulled it off.

Really good point. You would have gotten any odds you wanted.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, section314 said:

It will be interesting to see what the new coaches, especially Williams, get out of him. Hopefully we are in for a pleasant surprise.

I'm putting a lot of faith in Williams and the rest of the cs to bring out the best in our defensive unit. Hope it's not misguided.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He is a better pure pass rusher with better bend. He’s not in the same vicinity in terms of coverage, but I think we got 1st round pass rush talent here.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be fair, I've read others who, before the draft, also believed Polite was more developed as a pass rusher than Allen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Thai Jet said:

I'm putting a lot of faith in Williams and the rest of the cs to bring out the best in our defensive unit. Hope it's not misguided.

I believe the staff has the ability the bigger question is do the players have the desire? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No one really knows if polite will fulfill his potential. We'll just have to wait and see. 

As an aside, when I watch his game tape, I keep thinking of Jevon Kearse. But I think it's just the combination of his build and the iconic Gator uniform.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

He has to play at his college weight to be successful, which is too light to be an every down type of guy in the NFL. Unless you possess Von Miller type athleticism and talent, which he does not. Better than some of the other dumpster-fire picks he’s made over the years, but not a huge fan. 

Maybe, just maybe he can play at a heavier weight, when he does not have a hamstring injury.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

I'm putting a lot of faith in Williams and the rest of the cs to bring out the best in our defensive unit. Hope it's not misguided.

At this point, we don't have any other baskets to put our eggs in. I'm with ya.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Dumb luck

1. The occasion when the uncredible get lucky.

20190428_124019.thumb.jpg.cceaa19e4d49473926bb6ab91109ad0b.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

20190428_124019.thumb.jpg.cceaa19e4d49473926bb6ab91109ad0b.jpg

In my experience, you are a fictional character and have no credibility.

  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

In my experience, you are a fictional character and have bo credibility.

Let me guess.....65 years old, sitting on the veranda of your Boca condo, reading an actual newspaper and drinking coffee this morning? 

 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

I assume the first is Bosa so Jets believed Polite was a better pass rusher than Josh Allen

 

You're assuming quite a bit. Maybe they thought Allen and Polite were better than Bosa. Maybe they thought Oliver and Polite were better than either guy. You don't know. Yet you're stirring up a bunch of sh*t over nothing.

  • Confused 1
  • Butt Fumble 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Polite is a great player but he comes with several of these.

395841.png.810350c2542b082417d353184ab083e3.png  395841.png.810350c2542b082417d353184ab083e3.png  395841.png.810350c2542b082417d353184ab083e3.png

 

I think there's a reasonable chance his character concerns can be corrected. Some strong leaders and role models around him can bring his maturity up a few notches. It was like listening to a 9 year old at the combine... Anyway, that's an easier fix than drugs and thuggin' 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Bocajetfan said:

I believe the staff has the ability the bigger question is do the players have the desire? 

One can only hope so. You'd think they would, if anything, because of the $$ factor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, derp said:

And Jordan Jenkins.

To be fair, Polite is the first one who was actually a good pass rusher in college - and was a projected first rounder before he completely bombed.

It’s a dice roll but when the alternative is Lorenzo Mauldin, ArDarius Stewart, or Nathan Shepherd...the gamble on the guy who has actually shown some talent for an important skill isn’t the worst thing he’s ever done.

Totally agree with you that it’s fine to gamble on a high-end edge guy. The hesitation I have with this one is with Polite’s apparent history of character issues combined with the athletic testing. I think you can overcome one but not both. If he’s just immature, I guess they can wait him out, but then again you’re about to make an immature kid who flamed out in Gainesville fairly rich and bring him to NYC. If he pans out, he alone probably keeps Macc employed for another three years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of our biggest needs has been pass rush. 

We got a guy who will produce massive pass pressure up the middle and a guy who COULD  produce massive pass pressure off the edge. 

Looking forward to Mr Williams and Mr Polite meeting Mr Brady or rather the front and back of Mr Brady’s rib cage simultaneously and violently. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Let me guess.....65 years old, sitting on the veranda of your Boca condo, reading an actual newspaper and drinking coffee this morning? 

 

You got Boca right, but I gave that one to you.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Agreed, was just about to say the same thing.  If you watch the tape they are very similar.  

Polite has a much better arsenal of pass rushing moves right now. Allen has a better first step off the line and burst as well as a bigger frame. For that reason I think Allen has the higher ceiling, but he'll need to add to his arsenal to get there. NFL offensive lines will adjust to him quickly if he doesn't.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

One can only hope so. You'd think they would, if anything, because of the $$ factor.

I believe the biggest bust players are those just Happy with a first contract and not willing to put the work in for the second. That’s the mental side of the the player that is so hard to judge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Paradis said:

 

I think there's a reasonable chance his character concerns can be corrected. Some strong leaders and role models around him can bring his maturity up a few notches. It was like listening to a 9 year old at the combine... Anyway, that's an easier fix than drugs and thuggin' 

Possibly, and I hope you're right.  But giving a 9 year old about $1M and setting him loose in NYC isn't a great idea either. :P

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually agreed all season until the offseason seemed to separate the two.  Allen is definitely the better athlete but I think Polite has more tools in his toolbox due to the fact that he couldn't win consistently on speed alone like Allen could.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Maybe, just maybe he can play at a heavier weight, when he does not have a hamstring injury.

I think his disastrous combine numbers and hamstring injury are pretty indicative that he cannot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, section314 said:

It will be interesting to see what the new coaches, especially Williams, get out of him. Hopefully we are in for a pleasant surprise.

I would love a pleasant surprise but the drafting of Quinnen Williams, re-signing Anderson, even re-signing McClendon...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I'd rather draft someone with good tape and athletic ability but maturity concerns, vs someone with good maturity but tape and athletic ability concerns...

 

 

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

I think his disastrous combine numbers and hamstring injury are pretty indicative that he cannot.

Or his numbers were disastrous because of his hamsting injury, and when healthy he'll be fine.

He rushed into putting on the weight for the combine and hurt himself running.

This does not mean he can't do it, perhaps with proper preparation, training and supervision he can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well this was a Mac value play.  Great talent and upside and his belief that the vets will keep him in check.  

If anybody saw the undrafted list we got like 8 DL.  For a team with questionable OL depth they signed 2,  1RB and  1WR.

We will all know by the first preseason game what we really have from this draft. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Totally agree with you that it’s fine to gamble on a high-end edge guy. The hesitation I have with this one is with Polite’s apparent history of character issues combined with the athletic testing. I think you can overcome one but not both. If he’s just immature, I guess they can wait him out, but then again you’re about to make an immature kid who flamed out in Gainesville fairly rich and bring him to NYC. If he pans out, he alone probably keeps Macc employed for another three years. 

Fair point. I think the athletic testing you can basically throw out the window. He clearly had a bad hamstring, got bad advice and got too heavy, but he looks fast when you watch him. When I watched someone like Jarvis Jones coming out of Georgia years ago I expected him to test poorly and he did. Polite testing poorly was a surprise and I think it had multiple reasons.

The character issues...no documented major off field stuff. Seemed thoughtful in his interview at the Pro Day. This is where we see what CJ Mosley does I guess. I’m okay rolling the dice on the idea that an immature 21 year old can learn a lesson and grow up. I’ll take this one over those other guys.

This is an interesting draft. Maccagnan basically hit a double, swung for the fences a couple of times, and then hit a single. We’ll see how it shakes out. Not sure how much of the draft had to do with him. I don’t think he’s a good GM but I get the Hail Mary and hope it plays out. Like it way more than his traditional third round moves.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Polite pans out it's going to make our front 7 filthy. An edge presence causing one on ones vs Williamsx2 / Anderson is what this Ds been missing. The thing that scared me about JA was lack of PR moves besides speed rush. In the few min of film I've seen Polite use a few different moves, so I can see where the Jets are coming from on this one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...