Ian Rapoport implies Jets believed Jachai Polite was a better pass rusher than Josh Allen

Jetsbb

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

What has to happen for him to replicate his one year of production at UF? I think it’s fine if he can drop down to 230 and go after ORT’s, but can you play him full time at that point? Remember, this guy is ostensibly lining up where Jordan Jenkins currently plays and Jenkins is a pretty good player, imo. I really want to be optimistic about this particular pick because you take flyers on guys like this, but there are just soooooo maaaany issuuues that I can’t apply any expectation to the pick. It’s like when I had a man crush on Erasmus James and he flopped for similar reasons. I probably would have taken him off the board after he showed up at his Pro Day out of shape, dropped the 5.01, and blamed “bad advice.” Just too many red flags. 

I think I’m taking an optimistic view but I just don’t see that many red flags. Seems like theoretically it boils down to bad advice and immaturity - both which can be fixed.

He added more weight than he should have on bad advice, hurt himself, ran overweight and injured which he shouldn’t have, was poorly prepared for combine interviews which I’m sure was compounded by his bad performance, then tried to compete at his pro day still obviously not healthy and was terrible.

I’m probably putting way too much into the Pro Day interview but he seemed thoughtful and took ownership. The gist of it was basically I didn’t take it seriously enough and didn’t prepare myself, the people I lean on didn’t know what I was getting myself into and I didn’t, I messed up and I’m learning from it. And he said he wasn’t healthy but wanted to compete and run around with his teammates one more time. I feel like performing at his Pro Day was basically him trying to show good character after bombing the combine more than it was trying to time well. To me if he does that interview and says he doesn’t know what’s he did wrong, he’s just going to be himself, etc. I don’t know what the character issues are but it sounded like he was just not at all ready for what happened.

I do wonder what happens, interviews aside, if a) he says he’s not healthy and never runs or b) he tries to do the whole circuit at like 245. What was Burns, 248 and taller?

I feel like you bring him in, tell him CJ Mosley is his new best friend, cut 10-15 pounds, get the hamstring healthy, get back to the athleticism from college, work him in on passing downs, and try to get a little good weight on him over time and increase his reps.

The fun part is we’ll see. Other fun part is if he busts I think the GM is gone.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Larz said:

He also gets the ball out when he gets there 

I noticed that too. He doesn't just attempt to wrap up the QB to the ground. He simultaneously aims to use his arm to club the QB's throwing arm before he releases the ball. Or punch at the ball with his hand.  Pretty good pass rush technique he's perfecting...becoming a strip sack artist.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Not to quibble, but that goes back to my initial point about character and athleticism and needing one to counter failings with the other. Hunter and Houston both tested off the charts and IIRC Griffen was right up there as well. Unless Polite is secretly freaky athletic, it’s just a tough projection. 

It’s difficult to truly assess what his measurables are b/c his combine was performed at a weight much higher than what he played at during the year.  He could play at 240, not 255.

40 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

What has to happen for him to replicate his one year of production at UF? I think it’s fine if he can drop down to 230 and go after ORT’s, but can you play him full time at that point? Remember, this guy is ostensibly lining up where Jordan Jenkins currently plays and Jenkins is a pretty good player, imo. I really want to be optimistic about this particular pick because you take flyers on guys like this, but there are just soooooo maaaany issuuues that I can’t apply any expectation to the pick. It’s like when I had a man crush on Erasmus James and he flopped for similar reasons. I probably would have taken him off the board after he showed up at his Pro Day out of shape, dropped the 5.01, and blamed “bad advice.” Just too many red flags. 

230 is really light and that isnt who Polite is.  His combine weight that I saw was 258, which means he should play around 248 if he sheds that extra weight he put on.  That is more then heavy enough to be a full time OLB.

Also, from the little I watched, he doesnt seem to play like a lightweight pass rusher such as Arden Key who was 238 at the combine.  Polite seemed stronger and was able to rock Its with counter moves as opposed to being only able to win with speed.

Im excited for him as a player if he keeps his head on straight

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, BCJet said:

230 is really light and that isnt who Polite is.  His combine weight that I saw was 258, which means he should play around 248 if he sheds that extra weight he put on.  That is more then heavy enough to be a full time OLB.

Also, from the little I watched, he doesnt seem to play like a lightweight pass rusher such as Arden Key who was 238 at the combine.  Polite seemed stronger and was able to rock Its with counter moves as opposed to being only able to win with speed.

Im excited for him as a player if he keeps his head on straight

1. Assuming someone can “keep [their] head on straight is a huge ask.

2. If he played at around 230 when he was good and he couldn’t bulk up to 248 without moving like a refrigerator, why are we assuming he can be effective when he loses eight pounds?

3 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

I think the key guy here is Jamal.  He needs to take this guy under his wing and show him how to play and be a professional.  I don't care if he teaches him to talk trash, just teach him to take the game to heart like he (Jamal) does.

Jamal Adams sucks.

• Thumb Down 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

I think the key guy here is Jamal.  He needs to take this guy under his wing and show him how to play and be a professional.  I don't care if he teaches him to talk trash, just teach him to take the game to heart like he (Jamal) does.

Definitely Jamal who is only been in the league 2 seasons, and maybe the older Mosely too.  And room him with QW, an excellent rookie role model. They both have a lot in common as SEC pass rushing penetrators with lots of TFLs, and football experiences to share.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

No one really knows if polite will fulfill his potential. We'll just have to wait and see. 

As an aside, when I watch his game tape, I keep thinking of Jevon Kearse. But I think it's just the combination of his build and the iconic Gator uniform.

Maybe it's this

Related image

Image result for polite pass rush gif

Image result for polite pass rush gif

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Polite has a much better arsenal of pass rushing moves right now. Allen has a better first step off the line and burst as well as a bigger frame. For that reason I think Allen has the higher ceiling, but he'll need to add to his arsenal to get there. NFL offensive lines will adjust to him quickly if he doesn't.

That's not what you see on the tape... Tape shows Polite with the much better 1st step & burst. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

Where is our UF poster to give us the full behind the scenes of his character issues prior to the combine?

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

@JiF is not a fan 

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

I think you are referring to @JiF

If you would have told me in Jan the Jets could get Polite in the 3rd round, I would have laughed.  He was a monster for the Gators.  He was extremely disruptive and it’s was almost like every sack you expected the ball to come out.  

That said, I’m a believer in the testing when it comes to pass rusher and Polite is going to be a long shot to be effective in the NFL.

His character issues are whatever.  He’s not like a turd of a human, he’s just not the sharpest tool in the shed. 

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

2. If he played at around 230 when he was good and he couldn’t bulk up to 248 without moving like a refrigerator, why are we assuming he can be effective when he loses eight pounds?

Hamstring.

17 minutes ago, JiF said:

If you would have told me in Jan the Jets could get Polite in the 3rd round, I would have laughed.  He was a monster for the Gators.  He was extremely disruptive and it’s was almost like every sack you expected the ball to come out.  

That said, I’m a believer in the testing when it comes to pass rusher and Polite is going to be a long shot to be effective in the NFL.

His character issues are whatever.  He’s not like a turd of a human, he’s just not the sharpest tool in the shed. 

Good to hear your take on it. I’m shocked his agent even let him run at his combine or pro day at all i mean woof. He clearly has speed and can dip and bend, just a big mystery what his actual true athletic numbers are. Though for a 3rd rounder i can live with it, if he had an impeccable offseason we probably don’t come close to drafting him. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, JiF said:

I think that has bearing on his testing to be honest with you. Whoever was advising Polite prior to the draft should be sued for negligence. First, he put on about 20lbs of sloppy before the combine. Then, he does not get prepped for the combine interviews. I'm a big believer in testing as well, but if Polite wasn't prepping the right way due to bad advice, I have to take the testing with a grain of salt because, on tape, he looks fast as hell. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, maury77 said:

I think that has bearing on his testing to be honest with you. Whoever was advising Polite prior to the draft should be sued for negligence. First, he put on about 20lbs of sloppy before the combine. Then, he does not get prepped for the combine interviews. I'm a big believer in testing as well, but if Polite wasn't prepping the right way due to bad advice, I have to take the testing with a grain of salt because, on tape, he looks fast as hell. 

There was an article posted somewhere here today in which the Florida D coach spoke about him.  The coach said that he’s got an incredibly quick first step, he’s more quick than fast.  He may not have the fastest straight line speed but if you can get past a slower tackle you’re going to get sacks.  

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He added 20 pounds in a couple of months. That's not natural. 

He may be a guy that needs to play at 240-245 and not 250-255.. He also may do better gradually packing on the weight.

Either way, every player taken after 2nd round comes with risks.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

He is an elite pass rusher.

He was too light.

He tried to bulk up too quickly for the combine and it backfired.

The question is whether he will just be a situational pass rusher or if he can get big enough to be an every down player. 

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

He added 20 pounds in a couple of months. That's not natural. 

He may be a guy that needs to play at 240-245 and not 250-255.. He also may do better gradually packing on the weight.

Either way, every player taken after 2nd round comes with risks.

Agree with all of this. Here’s hoping 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, maury77 said:

Bad advice?

9 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

He is an elite pass rusher.

He was too light.

He tried to bulk up too quickly for the combine and it backfired.

The question is whether he will just be a situational pass rusher or if he can get big enough to be an every down player. 

I thought the reports were that he looked sloppy fat 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Maybe it wasn't on the people who were prepping him and it was all on him. It's not like he went to some tiny school and they had no experience when it comes to testing and preparation. Even the biggest moron in the world could figure out what would be expected in the pre draft process.