Giants draft pick, CB Ballentine shot less than 24 hours after being drafted

His friend was killed, Ballentine was injured.  Tragic.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26627114/washburn-db-killed-giants-pick-hurt-shooting

A Washburn University defensive back was killed in a shooting Sunday morning in Topeka, Kansas, that also injured teammate Corey Ballentine, who was drafted by the New York Giants on Saturday.

Washburn president Jerry Farley confirmed that Dwane Simmons, 23, was killed in the shooting in a letter to the school Sunday. Ballentine is expected to make a full recovery, Farley wrote.

"Any time we lose a student it is a sad occasion, but it is particularly poignant to lose a student through such a senseless act," Farley wrote. "Both Dwane and Corey have been great examples and representatives of the football team and of Washburn University in general. This was a terrible way to end a day which should have been a day of celebration and a day to look forward to Dwane's upcoming year at Washburn and the beginning of Corey's professional career."

According to police, Ballentine was taken to a hospital with a non-life-threatening gunshot wound.

Simmons, a defensive back who was entering his senior season in 2019, had played in 22 games over three seasons at Washburn.

"Heartbreaking news about Dwane Simmons," Washburn coach Craig Schurig said in a statement. "Dwane is one of the most energetic and well-liked players I have ever coached at Washburn. Dwane's infectious smile and love for football and his teammates was truly inspirational. Our prayers of healing go out to his family, his parents Navarro and Yasmine Simmons and Chaquilla Williams."

Ballentine, a cornerback, was the 2018 Cliff Harris Award winner as the small college defensive player of the year and was one of three Division II players selected to the Senior Bowl. The 23-year-old ran a 4.47 40 at the NFL scouting combine and was selected in the sixth round; he was the last of three cornerbacks drafted by the Giants.

The Giants said they are aware of the situation and have spoken with Ballentine.

"Our thoughts are with Dwane Simmons' family, friends and teammates and the rest of the Washburn community," the Giants said in a statement.

Police said an investigation into the shooting is ongoing.

ESPN's Jordan Raanan contributed to this report.

Just now, RutgersJetFan said:

Takes a big man to crack jokes after a kid dies. Jesus with some of you. 

Get real -  if it was a Jets pick the moral majority here would be killing Mac for picking a kid of questionable character, because its another team now there's concern for the kid . 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 56mehl56 said:

Get real -  if it was a Jets pick the moral majority here would be killing Mac for picking a kid of questionable character, because its another team now there's concern for the kid . 

I think you may want to take a breath and think about the words you’re typing. Not a good look. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, RutgersJetFan said:

I think you may want to take a breath and think about the words you’re typing. Not a good look. 

Am I sad a kid died needlessly - absolutely . But I don't need you to come on here and question my integrity , especially when I read the drivel you spout endlessly on this forum. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

It worked for the war on drugs. 

Nothing has worked in the "war on drugs".  It is worse than ever.  Hope you were being sarcastic. The legalize drugs crowd is delusional.  Fact.

Drug Overdoses

Preventable drug-related poisoning deaths, or drug overdoses, are at an all-time high and increasing rapidly. In 2017, 61,311 people died from preventable drug overdoses – an increase of 450% since 1999. These deaths represent 87% of the total 70,237 drug overdose deaths in the United States, which also include suicide, homicide and undetermined intents.

The majority of preventable drug overdose deaths (70%) involve opioids, totaling 43,036 in 2017. Opioid Drugs include both prescription and illicit drug categories. The drug category most frequently involved in opioid overdoses and growing at the fastest pace is “synthetic opioids other than methadone.” This category includes fentanyl, fentanyl analogs and tramadol. The fentanyl category of opioids accounted for 26,211 preventable deaths in 2017, representing a 48% increase over the 17,696 total in 2016.

Heroin accounted for the second highest number of deaths, claiming 14,762 lives in 2017, a 1% increase over the 14,606 deaths in 2016.

The opioid category that includes morphine, oxycodone and hydrocodone (natural and semisynthetic opioids) was involved in 12,255 deaths in 2017.

20 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Yeah, I get it. Have to admit I thought of a few too.

For some reason, I suddenly became the "It's way too soon guy."

Hope there's no hard feelings, @jetstream23.

Mine involved "compensatory draft picks", but I immediately kicked myself in the nuts to make amends for the "bad taste moment".

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Nothing has worked in the "war on drugs".  It is worse than ever.  Hope you were being sarcastic. The legalize drugs crowd is delusional.  Fact.

Drug Overdoses

Preventable drug-related poisoning deaths, or drug overdoses, are at an all-time high and increasing rapidly. In 2017, 61,311 people died from preventable drug overdoses – an increase of 450% since 1999. These deaths represent 87% of the total 70,237 drug overdose deaths in the United States, which also include suicide, homicide and undetermined intents.

The majority of preventable drug overdose deaths (70%) involve opioids, totaling 43,036 in 2017. Opioid Drugs include both prescription and illicit drug categories. The drug category most frequently involved in opioid overdoses and growing at the fastest pace is “synthetic opioids other than methadone.” This category includes fentanyl, fentanyl analogs and tramadol. The fentanyl category of opioids accounted for 26,211 preventable deaths in 2017, representing a 48% increase over the 17,696 total in 2016.

Heroin accounted for the second highest number of deaths, claiming 14,762 lives in 2017, a 1% increase over the 14,606 deaths in 2016.

The opioid category that includes morphine, oxycodone and hydrocodone (natural and semisynthetic opioids) was involved in 12,255 deaths in 2017.

Dude

Is it bad that every time I hear an athlete got shot or something, I immediately assume that they were probably up to no good? Hopefully I'm proven wrong, but most of the time, it's because athletes get involved with gangs and drugs.