Jets 4 biggest needs following the NFL Draft.

I don't agree on the Edge Rusher. Polite will do fine.  I see they just picked up Jabril Frazier from Boise St.. He could open some eyes.  Yes Jets didn't do anything at Wide Receiver in a Wide Receiver draft.  Hopefully we can get an undrafted WR. I see they signed Greg Dortch. He is undersized but explosive.  And yes the Center position is a needed position.  Again this was a fail for Mac. He could of drafted Galliard instead of Wesco.  Galliard was the All SEC 1st team center.  He just picked up Toa Lobendahn from USC as a undrafted free agent. Hopefully this can work out. He was a big time player at one time.  And another Fail was the Cornerback. Again he drafted an injured cornerback and we seen how that turns out with already having failures like Milner and Mcdougle. Should of drafted Jimmy Moreland who at James Madison was a man to man real good cover CB.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Tony The Wiz said:

I don't agree on the Edge Rusher. Polite will do fine.  I see they just picked up Jabril Frazier from Boise St.. He could open some eyes.  Yes Jets didn't do anything at Wide Receiver in a Wide Receiver draft.  Hopefully we can get an undrafted WR. I see they signed Greg Dortch. He is undersized but explosive.  And yes the Center position is a needed position.  Again this was a fail for Mac. He could of drafted Galliard instead of Wesco.  Galliard was the All SEC 1st team center.  He just picked up Toa Lobendahn from USC as a undrafted free agent. Hopefully this can work out. He was a big time player at one time.  And another Fail was the Cornerback. Again he drafted an injured cornerback and we seen how that turns out with already having failures like Milner and Mcdougle. Should of drafted Jimmy Moreland who at James Madison was a man to man real good cover CB.  

I dont know if this was a WR draft. I have heard that next year is supposed to be a huge WR draft. Or maybe I'm wrong.

Agree on C. It's the one major blemish on Macc's offseason.

CB is interesting if they bring Claiborne.

• Upvote 1

Still feels like O-Line, WR, CB.  We have to presume for 2019 Polite will get his chance to be the big Edge guy.

But the O-line still feels liek a cobbled mess, WR is still a generally bottom-10-of-NFL unit, and CB.....well, if Trumain plays like he's paid, maybe we'll be ok'ish?

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

CB 

The Jets failed to upgrade their cornerback depth in the draft – spending only one late-round pick on the position. Blessuan Austin out of Rutgers is a local product with good height, but he has major durability concerns after suffering two knee injuries. 

As it stands today, the Jets still have little to no depth at the position behind Trumaine Johnson. Darryl Roberts is still poised to start and Brian Poole is a solid slot corner, but that’s not a great line-up for a secondary that was torched in 2018. There’s a chance the Jets bring back Morris Claiborne, but that wouldn’t do much to improve the position more than return it to its 2018 state.

There aren’t many good cornerbacks left in free agency, so it looks like the Jets will roll with what they have or try to trade for a veteran like Chris Harris Jr.

• Upvote 1

Center 

If protecting Sam Darnold is the key to the 2019 season, the Jets didn’t do a good job of finding him a solid center. Jonotthan Harrison is still projected to start after the Jets didn’t sign a center in free agency or draft one this weekend. Yes, they upgraded the line with the addition of guard Kelechi Osemele, but otherwise, the unit remains almost identical to 2018. 

There were plenty of solid offensive linemen capable of playing center in the draft and the Jets instead decided to fill other positions. Third-round draft pick Chuma Edoga could be a solid contributor on the offensive line, but he won’t play center. The Jets will have to hope Harrison can build on his eight-start 2018 campaign as the team’s only true center.

WR

This need is more about depth than anything. The Jets have three solid options at wide receiver – Robby Anderson, Quincy Enunwa and Jamison Crowder – but after that don’t have any real players to rely on. Josh Bellamy and Charone Peake will be tasked more with special teams and Deontay Burnett is still raw. 

The Jets could have used a big-bodied wideout or a developmental player from the draft to add to the unit’s depth, especially in the later rounds. More weapons for Darnold is always positive, and the only offensive skill position the Jets drafted was tight end Trevon Wesco out of West Virginia (who was known more for his blocking ability than pass catching). There’s a chance Wesco becomes a diamond in the rough for the passing game, but it will take time for him to develop.

• Upvote 1

Edge Rusher

Jachai Polite could easily be the steal of Day 2 of the draft and could quickly develop into a starter for the Jets. But, the Jets still need a more polished edge rusher in case Polite doesn’t pan out. If Polite doesn’t pan out, the Jets are back to square one and their defense will suffer for it.

There are still some great veteran edge rushers left in free agency, and the Jets could benefit from bringing in a veteran to help out their younger players on the outside. Polite, Jordan Jenkins and Brandon Copeland are all, young, inexperienced or both. Shoring up the edge in case their young players underperform would be a good contingency plan for the season.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

CB 

The Jets failed to upgrade their cornerback depth in the draft – spending only one late-round pick on the position. Blessuan Austin out of Rutgers is a local product with good height, but he has major durability concerns after suffering two knee injuries. 

As it stands today, the Jets still have little to no depth at the position behind Trumaine Johnson. Darryl Roberts is still poised to start and Brian Poole is a solid slot corner, but that’s not a great line-up for a secondary that was torched in 2018. There’s a chance the Jets bring back Morris Claiborne, but that wouldn’t do much to improve the position more than return it to its 2018 state.

There aren’t many good cornerbacks left in free agency, so it looks like the Jets will roll with what they have or try to trade for a veteran like Chris Harris Jr.

Idk who Brian Poole is. I see Nickerson at slot corner. Kid's got some potential. 

6 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I dont know if this was a WR draft. I have heard that next year is supposed to be a huge WR draft. Or maybe I'm wrong.

Agree on C. It's the one major blemish on Macc's offseason.

CB is interesting if they bring Claiborne.

This Draft didn't have that A.J. Green or Fitzerald or Julio Jones.  But it was a deep draft. Wide receivers like Butler, Deebo, A.J. Brown, D.K., Marquis Brown and N'keal Henry were all first round material. And than you had other ones like Paris Campbell, Harmon and Boykin was not too far from them.     

19 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

How are we good at edge sir

I already know his answer here, and hoo boy is it a doozy:

On 4/1/2019 at 11:01 AM, UnitedWhofans said:

The pass rushing was a failure until they resigned Copeland. As long as they draft a pass rusher (Allen hopefully) to pair with him then we are fine there. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, slats said:

Jets are thin at WR and are missing a CB2. Signing a guy like Claiborne seems likely at CB. WR, they'll have to scheme around, and that's what the new head coach is here to do. Bell is an additional receiver, Montgomery is a WR/RB hybrid, Herndon can stretch the field, and they just drafted everyone's new favorite Jet, Trevon Wesco. 

I know it's sacrilege to to the Church of the Offensive Line here at JN, but Harrison stepped in last year and played well, and they have Toth behind him. They traded for a guard, drafted a G/T, added a C/G as a UDFA, and added everyone's new favorite player as a blocking TE. And there's always the mini-draft come late summer. The OL isn't nearly as bad as the true non-believers believe.  

Good Fair analysis

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

29 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

How are we good at edge sir

Polite is a beast Tom. At least he has a chance to be. Think of the contradiction. Gary, blows up the combine and pro day. What doe's everybody say. 'Look at his game tape, that's what counts."Stay away". Polite's game tape is outstanding, and some of the same people say "Bad combine, bad pro day, bad pick".

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

38 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

CB 

The Jets failed to upgrade their cornerback depth in the draft

If Q Williams and Polite work out as planned and Trumaine Johnson rebounds to his old self, you might be surprised in the second half of the season how much better the CBs look when the other team's  QB can't just sit back there and peacefully peruse his passing prerogatives.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, slats said:

Jets are thin at WR and are missing a CB2. Signing a guy like Claiborne seems likely at CB. WR, they'll have to scheme around, and that's what the new head coach is here to do. Bell is an additional receiver, Montgomery is a WR/RB hybrid, Herndon can stretch the field, and they just drafted everyone's new favorite Jet, Trevon Wesco. 

I know it's sacrilege to to the Church of the Offensive Line here at JN, but Harrison stepped in last year and played well, and they have Toth behind him. They traded for a guard, drafted a G/T, added a C/G as a UDFA, and added everyone's new favorite player as a blocking TE. And there's always the mini-draft come late summer. The OL isn't nearly as bad as the true non-believers believe.  

Lets not give up on Nickerson and Derrick Jones. Too early too do that.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Gotta be an automated program designed to simulate @Pac but less emotional and with the raw stupidity dialed back 6%

I think the stupidity is about the same; it just gets expressed differently. Replace some of the unapologetic ignorance with a weird credulity that leads to conclusions like "Polite was 39th on Connor Rogers's big board and Macc got him at 68, so that pick gets an A."

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, kelticwizard said:

If Q Williams and Polite work out as planned and Trumaine Johnson rebounds to his old self, you might be surprised in the second half of the season how much better the CBs look when the other team's  QB can't just sit back there and peacefully peruse his passing prerogatives.

Ok but are you willing to go into the season with a big ? at the starting CB position?