Jets 4 biggest needs following the NFL Draft.

3 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I think the stupidity is about the same; it just gets expressed differently. Replace some of the unapologetic ignorance with a weird credulity that leads to conclusions like "Polite was 39th on Connor Rogers's big board and Macc got him at 68, so that pick gets an A."

Perhaps I confused stupidity with belligerence. United’s unflappability is just that disconcerting 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, slats said:

Jets are thin at WR and are missing a CB2. Signing a guy like Claiborne seems likely at CB. WR, they'll have to scheme around, and that's what the new head coach is here to do. Bell is an additional receiver, Montgomery is a WR/RB hybrid, Herndon can stretch the field, and they just drafted everyone's new favorite Jet, Trevon Wesco. 

I know it's sacrilege to to the Church of the Offensive Line here at JN, but Harrison stepped in last year and played well, and they have Toth behind him. They traded for a guard, drafted a G/T, added a C/G as a UDFA, and added everyone's new favorite player as a blocking TE. And there's always the mini-draft come late summer. The OL isn't nearly as bad as the true non-believers believe.  

They prefer to be called the Illuminati.

Please don't upset them.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

52 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Still feels like O-Line, WR, CB.  We have to presume for 2019 Polite will get his chance to be the big Edge guy.

But the O-line still feels liek a cobbled mess, WR is still a generally bottom-10-of-NFL unit, and CB.....well, if Trumain plays like he's paid, maybe we'll be ok'ish?

If Quincy stays healthy I like our WR group. A diva #1 is over rated 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, genot said:

Polite is a beast Tom. At least he has a chance to be. Think of the contradiction. Gary, blows up the combine and pro day. What doe's everybody say. 'Look at his game tape, that's what counts."Stay away". Polite's game tape is outstanding, and some of the same people say "Bad combine, bad pro day, bad pick".

He didn't have a "bad combine and pro day", he ate himself up to DT type numbers, had a sh*tty attitude, was the worst interview at the combine, and then doubled down 6 weeks later with a disaster of a Pro Day (which is designed to be player friendly) by running an OG-like 40 and then not even doing the rest of the drills....at his Pro Day

That's not a couple of bad workouts, that's a 4 month catalogue of bad decisions, laziness,  and zero accountability. 

I hope he figures it out. 

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I think the stupidity is about the same; it just gets expressed differently. Replace some of the unapologetic ignorance with a weird credulity that leads to conclusions like "Polite was 39th on Connor Rogers's big board and Macc got him at 68, so that pick gets an A."

I think that even if QW wasn't the guy you wanted at #3 overall, you'd have to concede that he should provide improvement in the pass rush department. Not pretending to be a college football guy, but I preferred Oliver and QW over Allen because I thought they were better players and that interior pass rush has become more important than edge rushing. 

Polite, who I knew nothing about before the Jets drafted him, would seem to be boom or bust. He had a productive college career, and he'll be surrounded by some leaders and coached by a madman, so if he keeps his head in it and keeps up I think he does have the potential to boom rather than bust. We'll see. He's in good position with opposing OL dealing with what's now a pretty formidable front three. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, CTM said:

If Quincy stays healthy I like our WR group. A diva #1 is over rated 

Enunwa is never healthy. Crowder coming off an injury as well. It's an insanely thin group for a young QB to work with. Add on an unreliable RB that they're relying on...kinda puzzling how thin they went on offense this offseason/draft.

Anderson, Enunwa, Crowder at receiver then pretty much nothing

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Enunwa is never healthy. Crowder coming off an injury as well. It's an insanely thin group for a young QB to work with. Add on an unreliable RB that they're relying on...kinda puzzling how thin they went on offense this offseason/draft.

Granted but as I said if they stay healthy I think it's a good group 

Center, T, (OL) WR, K.

I was hoping we wound have drafted a Kicker with our 7th this year. Truth is I’m not aware of the collegiate kickers at all but I’d imagine there was one worth drafting late.
Better than the DB who will most likely never see an NFL game.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Center:

https://reignoftroy.com/2019/04/27/usc-ol-toa-lobendahn-signs-with-as-undrafted-free-agent-after-2019-nfl-draft/

USC OL Toa Lobendahn signs with New York Jets as undrafted free agent after 2019 NFL Draft

Versatile USC offensive lineman Toa Lobendahn has signed with the New York Jets as an undrafted free agent, according to USC Athletics.

The New York Jets appear to be loading up on Trojans this NFL Draft weekend, adding USC offensive lineman Toa Lobendahn as an undrafted free agent.

The Jets used a third round draft pick to grab offensive tackle Chuma Edoga on Friday night. Now, Edoga and Lobendahn will meet back up with fellow Trojans like Sam Darnold, Deontay Burnett and Leonard Williams in New York.

CHECK OUT: New NCAA scandals highlight reasons to bring back Reggie Bush

Lobendahn was one of several promising offensive lineman USC added in the class of 2014. He ranked No. 133 nationally in the 247Sports composite and was rated as the No. 9 offensive guard in the class.

As a spring enrollee, Lobendahn had the chance to make an early impression and he did just that. He won a starting job right off the bat at left guard, playing that position for eight games before showing off his noteworthy versatility by sliding over to left tackle for the final five games. He was named a Freshman All-American first teamer by multiple publications.

Versatility became Lobendahn’s calling card in Year 2 as well. He started five games at right guard at the beginning of the 2015 campaign, but switched to center to once again help USC deal with injuries. However, with hopes high for his career in that spot, it was a major disappointment when he suffered a season-ending knee injury.

RELATED PRODUCT
Women's Cardinal & Tradition Racerback Tank
Women's Cardinal & Tradition Racerback Tank
Buy Now!

MORE: Cameron Smith taken in fifth round by Minnesota Vikings

The 2016 season was supposed to be his big bounce back, but during the season opener he suffered another devastating knee injury.

Finally back healthy in 2017, Lobendahn lost the competition with Nico Falah for USC’s starting center job, but still earned All-Pac-12 second team honors as USC’s starting left tackle.

In his senior season, Lobendahn finally managed to start the entire season at his preferred position of center. Unfortunately, things didn’t exactly go to plan. He struggled with snapping problems throughout the year, though he was still named an All-Pac-12 honorable mention.

5 hours ago, Tony The Wiz said:

This Draft didn't have that A.J. Green or Fitzerald or Julio Jones.  But it was a deep draft. Wide receivers like Butler, Deebo, A.J. Brown, D.K., Marquis Brown and N'keal Henry were all first round material. And than you had other ones like Paris Campbell, Harmon and Boykin was not too far from them.     

Bottom 1st rd. talent. No top 10 talent

• Upvote 1

Cb is light years away from being as important on thus team as is the oline, and not just center and pass rusher.  If this dude polite or one of the other guys can do it fine.

One really good pass rusher makes all of your secondary much better.

Center and OT are #1 and 2 on my list.  (hopefully the usc dude will show some promise) We drafted an edge guy early so we have to hope he turns out.

After the last two years of wes johsnon and spencer long Center should have been and still should be #1

I believe that no team is ever built perfect and every year you need to replace or fix a position. The Jets will be needing like in the article a WR , CB, OL mainly center. But one thing the article left out was the need for depth at each position!!! I believe the need for a good backup is necessary especially when someone goes down during a game.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Burnett looked good in limited action and has chemistry with Darnold.  I would have liked to have taken a receiver but this is.what happens when you don't have a 2nd round pick.   Our TEs with the addition of Wesco, may be the best we have had in years.  They can add a vet receiver  in training camp.

• Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, kelticwizard said:

If Q Williams and Polite work out as planned and Trumaine Johnson rebounds to his old self, you might be surprised in the second half of the season how much better the CBs look when the other team's  QB can't just sit back there and peacefully peruse his passing prerogatives.

People think that if our Online isn't the 09 oline its garbage. If our CB's don't look like Revis and Cromartie we are in trouble. Our Oline was middle of the ground last year. It's far from the bottom, but also far from the top. 

Our offensive weapons are not horrible. Bell, Anderson, Herndon, and enunwa is enough skill positions for a decent QB to make work.  This year doesn't matter how great our darft is unless Darnold takes that next step.

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, Tony The Wiz said:

I don't agree on the Edge Rusher. Polite will do fine.  I see they just picked up Jabril Frazier from Boise St.. He could open some eyes.  Yes Jets didn't do anything at Wide Receiver in a Wide Receiver draft.  Hopefully we can get an undrafted WR. I see they signed Greg Dortch. He is undersized but explosive.  And yes the Center position is a needed position.  Again this was a fail for Mac. He could of drafted Galliard instead of Wesco.  Galliard was the All SEC 1st team center.  He just picked up Toa Lobendahn from USC as a undrafted free agent. Hopefully this can work out. He was a big time player at one time.  And another Fail was the Cornerback. Again he drafted an injured cornerback and we seen how that turns out with already having failures like Milner and Mcdougle. Should of drafted Jimmy Moreland who at James Madison was a man to man real good cover CB.  

I agree about the Edge "need."  I think these few additions, Polite, etc. and even returning Copeland will be just enough for Gregg Williams to keep outside pressure honest and make it a threat to opponents.  But make no mistake, the Jets pass rush will come from our DLine.  Williams x 2 and Henry Anderson will be getting to the QB better than the Jets DLine has in previous years.  Jenkins is still a threat and let's see what Gregg does with Mosely, Adams, etc.  It also seems to this point that the Jets may ride Darron Lee through the 2019 season and I see two positives from that....1) Gregg Williams could use him differently and hopefully use him better  2) Lee is in a contract year and will likely be leaving it all out there on the field this season.

• Upvote 1

Lets see what this cat can do....

View image on Twitter

Congratulations to our Boy Toa @godswarriorr. The NY Jets are lucky to have you. We are so very proud of you and love you. ??????. @zach_scho46 @bdrs55 @jschoen_9 @CTFletcherISYMF

1 minute ago, JetsMetsDevilsPA said:

Lets see what this cat can do....

View image on Twitter

Congratulations to our Boy Toa @godswarriorr. The NY Jets are lucky to have you. We are so very proud of you and love you. ??????. @zach_scho46 @bdrs55 @jschoen_9 @CTFletcherISYMF

Lets just hope he doesnt get catfished the way Manti Teo did.....

I don't understand why most posters think the off-season has just ended.  It hasn't.  There will be solid vets that become available via trade or being cut.  I'm way more concerned about CB1 than I am about CB2 at this point.  If Trumaine doesn't get back to being a decent, let alone shutdown, corner then the defense will suffer badly.  But I digress.  I'm not comfortable with Roberts starting and I fully expect Mac to sign a vet to play or at least provide competition at that spot.  And I'm anxious to see what Derrick Jones can do if he's put on the field.

As for center, it's remarkable how so many posters think a third or fourth round pick can fill that gap day one.  They can't.  Now, I would have liked for Mac to have drafted a project center but that would not have moved the needle this year.  I expect Mac to go out and pull off a trade or signing of a veteran center.  Corey Linsley of the Packers might be available.

As for WR every year is supposedly a big year for receivers.  We watch highlight reels of WR making circus catches and think he can fill that void.  Maybe some can, but most don't.  Especially the ones that Mac has drafted.  His WR picks have been dreadful.  The Eagles and Niners have an abundance of WR and I would be poking around to see if Mac can pluck someone from those teams.  Darren Lee for a young prospect?

Mac pulled off a great post-draft trade two years ago when he sent Calvin Pryor to Cleveland for Demario Davis.  Davis played well for us that year, until Mac upgraded the position further by signing Williamson.  Pryor is out of the league.  Mac is very good at trades and I think more will follow shortly.

There were a great deal of holes on this team, mostly due to Mac's lousy drafting.  I think he has addressed many of them this off-season.  If he can trade or sign a veteran center and trade for a big WR most of those remaining holes will be filled at least for this year.  

As you can see I try to have a realistic view of this team and Mac.  When he has stunk, I say so.  When he doesn't something good, I say so.

Try it sometime.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Except nobody says this about edge rushers. It’s how you get Gholston, Courtney Brown, and Erasmus James.

Obviously you gone know about Gholston and his game taoe.  He was as a non facture in the majority of hope games

21 hours ago, slats said:

Jets are thin at WR and are missing a CB2. Signing a guy like Claiborne seems likely at CB. WR, they'll have to scheme around, and that's what the new head coach is here to do. Bell is an additional receiver, Montgomery is a WR/RB hybrid, Herndon can stretch the field, and they just drafted everyone's new favorite Jet, Trevon Wesco. 

I know it's sacrilege to to the Church of the Offensive Line here at JN, but Harrison stepped in last year and played well, and they have Toth behind him. They traded for a guard, drafted a G/T, added a C/G as a UDFA, and added everyone's new favorite player as a blocking TE. And there's always the mini-draft come late summer. The OL isn't nearly as bad as the true non-believers believe.  

The teams long term handling of the oline is simply indefensible no matter how hard people try.

Hey I agree Harrison played much better than long because he could actually snap but we have had wes johsnon and spencer long back to back, two of the worst centers in team histoy and our solution is to hope the next guy on the depth chart is going to be good.  And the word 'serviceable' should never be uttered after your team who has had no Qb for 20 years appears to have found a franchise guy.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1