2020 WR CLASS

3 hours ago, Untouchable said:

I’d kill for Lamb in the 1st and Mims in the 3rd.

Would love to see us double dip at both WR and OL with our first 4 picks.

CeeDee Lamb, Creed Humphrey, Alaric Jackson and Denzel Mims would be a dream.

I posted somewhere in the draft forum we should just draft OL and WR all draft. lol.. I agree. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

I don't think you're being honest with your assessment.

The OT group is strong this year, but it's hardly anything is writing columns about to the tune of "One of the best ever, potentially"... meanwhile you have people who were paid to scout college talent stating this is the best class they've ever seen...

So, I respectfully disagree. The value is STILL receiver, regardless of which OT is on the board... Still lots to happen between today and April, but there's narrative here to not overact and put positional blinders on. 

I guess all I'm saying is OT is top heavy while WR is not just top heavy but deep. So if you are talking about a team that desperately needs to rebuild the O-line, even if they also need a bonafide WR, you gotta go OT in the first round to make sure you get one of those blue chip prospects. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, PepPep said:

I guess all I'm saying is OT is top heavy while WR is not just top heavy but deep. So if you are talking about a team that desperately needs to rebuild the O-line, even if they also need a bonafide WR, you gotta go OT in the first round to make sure you get one of those blue chip prospects. 

I hear you (and feel you).... I'm not advocating one way or another.... yet... I was using your post to platform the notion that we need to be smart and not use any blinders this year (we have a habit of using Dline blinders lol)

The OTs are looking good. The WRs are looking great... Your move Joe Douglas. 

4 hours ago, Stark said:

I posted somewhere in the draft forum we should just draft OL and WR all draft. lol.. I agree. 

Lets say we address CB in FA *shudders*

Its not crazy that we windup with WR, OT, OG, WR, C, OG, TE

I swear to god, if we spend one god damn pick, 7th or not, on a front seven guy not named OLB.... 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Paradis said:

I hear you (and feel you).... I'm not advocating one way or another.... yet... I was using your post to platform the notion that we need to be smart and not use any blinders this year (we have a habit of using Dline blinders lol)

The OTs are looking good. The WRs are looking great... Your move Joe Douglas. 

This franchise has failed miserably at waiting for mid to late rounds to select their offensive playmakers, miserably.  This needs to change.  The 2014 WR draft, failure, the 2017 RB draft, failure.  This notion that just because a draft is deep at a certain position that you can wait, is a flawed strategy.  A few of us around here have tried to illustrate this over the years.  

You are never going to solve ALL you’re problems in one draft, but you can really address a couple position groups in a single draft.  IMO you NEED to get 2 WRs and 2 O-linemen in this draft.  

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Stark said:

I'm on record, all offense, all offseason.  Throw UDFA's at D.  This team is basically already a bunch of UDFA's and they're a top 10 unit. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

This franchise has failed miserably at waiting for mid to late rounds to select their offensive playmakers, miserably.  This needs to change.  The 2014 WR draft, failure, the 2017 RB draft, failure.  This notion that just because a draft is deep at a certain position that you can wait, is a flawed strategy.  A few of us around here have tried to illustrate this over the years.  

You are never going to solve ALL you’re problems in one draft, but you can really address a couple position groups in a single draft.  IMO you NEED to get 2 WRs and 2 O-linemen in this draft.  

From you fingertips to gods ears.

I'm going to optimistically expect us to acquire 1 more pick in the top 2 rounds, likely via a trade back... giving us 5 picks in the first 3 rounds

I'd like to see something to this effect--

• WR T. Higgins
  • OT T. Adams (WU)
  • CB C. Dantzler (Miss St)
  • WR D. Smith (bama)
  • OG L. Stenberg (Kentucky)

47 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I'm going to optimistically expect us to acquire 1 more pick in the top 2 rounds, likely via a trade back... giving us 5 picks in the first 3 rounds

• WR T. Higgins
  • OT T. Adams (WU)
  • WR D. Smith (bama)

it will also be interesting if douglas pursues trading adams.  another first round pick this draft would be awesome, given the wr and OT talent.  the jets could come out of the first round with a stud wr and LT, then have (at least) 3 day 2 picks to get another OL and rb.  the jets really, really need a rb upgrade and bell will not be there next year.  

34 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

it will also be interesting if douglas pursues trading adams.  another first round pick this draft would be awesome, given the wr and OT talent.  the jets could come out of the first round with a stud wr and LT, then have (at least) 3 day 2 picks to get another OL and rb.  the jets really, really need a rb upgrade and bell will not be there next year.  

I don't like anyone yet at RB this year. We blew it the last 2-3 years with looots of opportunities for deep drafts at RB... this year, you can pay top dollar for Swift or Etienne, and then it's a waste land of one dimensional/athletically limited backs...

best bang for your buck is Florida's Perine in middle rounds IMO

11 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I don't like anyone yet at RB this year. We blew it the last 2-3 years with looots of opportunities for deep drafts at RB... this year, you can pay top dollar for Swift or Etienne, and then it's a waste land of one dimensional/athletically limited backs...

best bang for your buck is Florida's Perine in middle rounds IMO

i like the LSU rb.  but i can see them going the FA route for them.  they can't go into next season with no running game again.

51 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i like the LSU rb.  but i can see them going the FA route for them.  they can't go into next season with no running game again.

Good call, I keep forgetting he's eligible..... yea given how well LSU is doing - he's going get some natty spotlight time. My problem with the top tier is that they'll be overdrafted i think.... We'll see. Still early. 

7 hours ago, cant wait said:

the early hype is “best class ever” for offense skill positions. that 3rd round pick from the giants is looking pretty sweet right now 

I think the “best class ever” tag applies to only the WR group, not all offensive skill positions.  The RB and TE classes aren’t really loaded.  

19 hours ago, Paradis said:

• WR T. Higgins
  • OT T. Adams (WU)
  • WR D. Smith (bama)

Assuming everything stays status quo with the current picks here’s my extremely early mock

WR Tee Higgins

C Tyler Biadasz 

OT Walker Little

WR Denzel Mims   

RB Najee Harris. 

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Assuming everything stays status quo with the current picks here’s my extremely early mock

WR Tee Higgins

C Tyler Biadasz 

OT Walker Little

WR Denzel Mims   

RB Najee Harris. 

I see you're as high as I am on Mims... complete package there. 

You like Harris that much hey? Too many quiet years for me to pay that price because he woke in '19

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

I see you're as high as I am on Mims... complete package there. 

You like Harris that much hey? Too many quiet years for me to pay that price because he woke in '19

The more I watch Mims the more I like him.  Him and Higgins are perfect compliments, throw in Crowder in the slot and you finally have a complete group.  

4th round may be a little rich for Harris, but I do like his game.  He’s better as a receiver than I thought prior to this year.  

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

The more I watch Mims the more I like him.  Him and Higgins are perfect compliments, throw in Crowder in the slot and you finally have a complete group.  

4th round may be a little rich for Harris, but I do like his game.  He’s better as a receiver than I thought prior to this year.  

I’m still waiting to feel inspired by anyone in this running back draft class

9 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

I think the “best class ever” tag applies to only the WR group, not all offensive skill positions.  The RB and TE classes aren’t really loaded.  

the quote I heard was specifically “WR + RB” but I’m not really familiar enough yet to really have a good opinion right now but I would seem to agree it seems to be mostly WR talent at least at the top

https://mobile.twitter.com/draftnetworkllc/status/1204423221732360192

On 12/11/2019 at 9:20 AM, sec101row23 said:

WR Tee Higgins

C Tyler Biadasz 

OT Walker Little

WR Denzel Mims   

RB Najee Harris. 

I like this mock but I think I would approach it differently. I am NOT confident coming out of it with Walker Little as my LT acquisition. I'm not sure he will transition to a LT at the NFL level and he is certainly not a guy I can rely on to plug and play at the OT position. 

I know you guys love Higgins and I would love to get a play-making WR right off the bat but I'm going OT with the Rd. 1 pick and taking a guy I am confident can step in start like Leatherwood or Wirfs or Wills or A.Jackson, a guy who projects to be a LT at the next level. 

In Rd. 2 I'd take Biadasz but its very unlikely he will be there. the Jets pick 9th in the second round and he is projected to go mid to late first round. I don't see him falling past the Niners in the first round. So, in Rd. 2 I'm going with a CB. The value will be there. I expect 3, MAYBE 4 CBs to go in rd. 1. If the Jets can get 1 of Terrell, CJ Henderson, Diggs, or Adebo I'm really high on all of those prospects as potential #1 CBs that can play on the outside. 

Now, in Rd. 3 you look at the WR position. Maybe you double dip. Big fan of Mims, Ayuk, Jefferson, Wallace, Tyler Johnson, Peoples-Jones, KJ Hill. The list goes on. THIS is the reason you wait until Rd. 3 to draft a WR. I get that you have to draft to the strength of the draft. But EARLY in Rd. 3 is not exactly letting all the good prospects go by. A lot of these guys will still be available and they are quality receiving prospects. You're not exactly rolling the dice.  

Take care of OT in Rd. 1, take the best available CB in Rd. 2 unless a guy like Biadasz or another top target falls, then use one or both of your Rd. 3 picks on WR.    

On 11/21/2019 at 9:04 AM, sec101row23 said:

Came into this thread to talk about this kid. Outside of Ceedee Lamb, who I think is the perfect player for the Jets offense, I think AGG is my 2nd favorite WR in this class. 

If you stick AGG on Alabama  I think he is the #1 WR prospect in this class instead of Jeudy. 

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Came into this thread to talk about this kid. Outside of Ceedee Lamb, who I think is the perfect player for the Jets offense, I think AGG is my 2nd favorite WR in this class. 

If you stick AGG on Alabama  I think he is the #1 WR prospect in this class instead of Jeudy. 

He's certainly on my radaar, the dude can straight up ball. But again, I'm sticking to a Blue Chip LT prospect in Rd. 1 and hopefully a top CB prospect falls to us in Rd. 2. But if not, yes, AGG and a slew of other top WRs are in consideration once we address LT. 

On 12/14/2019 at 9:07 AM, Lith said:

One less guy available next year.  Devonta Smith returning to Bama.

I get it if I'm Smith. I think he's vastly underrated, and deserves to be as coveted as Ruggs for example. Bigger Tyler Locket... Sucks for us, thought we might be able to get away with one taking Smith on Day 2

PS JJAW is every bit as useless as I predicted. 

I think the Jets can live without drafting a shutdown CB this season in the early rounds. The same goes for an edge rusher. They should take some reasonable chances in free agency to solve those issues this off-season, and if they want to take flyer on a CB or Edge Rusher after Round 3, I'm OK with that. But the O line should dominate the draft and they should take a shot at a WR. I'd like to see the first 3 rounds play out like this:

RD 1 - Tristin Wirfs OT Iowa (based on the needs of other teams, I think this is a fait accompli)

RD 2 - Creed Humphrey C Oklahoma

RD 3 - Ben Bredeson G Michigan

RD 3 - Antonio Golden Gandy WR Liberty

You could flip the RD 3 selections and go with Tyler Johnson WR Minnesota if he is there and Bredeson or Darryl Williams G/C Miss. St. may still be available with the later 3rd round pick, but I don't want to take any gambles building the O line so they may have to take some guys a little ahead of their draft grade.

And I know there will likely be detractors for Golden Gandy, but jeezzz the kid can catch and I think teamed with Sam, he could become Anquan Bolden i.e. a guy who is going to take balls away from d-backs. I figure if we keep Anderson and Thomas, throwing Gandy in with Crowder gives the Jets 4 very good WRs. With Herndon and Smith at TE, Sam will have plenty of options. We just gotta give Sam a run game and a clean pocket to make it all work.

• Upvote 1

Jets badly need oline and WRs/play makers.

Draft has some very high end guys in these positions.

Now is the time for the GM to have the nuts to make a trade that brings us at least one more 1st round and or say 2 picks.

We have a SS and a DT that generated a lot of interest at the deadline that could fetch a lot.  Is this gm different for once?  Bold enough and having the balls to reshape the roster?  I doubt it but one can hope.

• Upvote 1