Jump to content
Maxman

A lot of talk about "neglecting the offense"

Recommended Posts

Great take Max.  Maybe we should send some of these guys on vacation, so they could come back with a fresh perspective and start making some sense.

For whatever circumstance that brought him to the Jets, we will soon all be glad that Quinnen Williams is a New York Jet.

  • Upvote 4
  • Like 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Butt Fumble 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I was on vacation during the draft but when I checked the board I was surprised at the outrage over the Q Williams pick. For months it was pretty clear that the top of the draft aside from Murray was going to be defense heavy. Sure we all wanted a trade, get more picks. But the QBs are all suspect, so nobody wanted to trade up. Macc is impossible to defend, so trust me, I am not trying to defend him. He leaves a lot to be desired and his best player available mantra leaves the Jets completely neglecting certain positions.

All that being said, with the 3rd pick the Jets made the right choice. Edge rushers are great, and hopefully the Jets got their guy in the 3rd round. But when you play Tom Brady he gets rid of the ball in 2 seconds, so pressure up the middle is important too.  They did the right thing taking Q Williams. I get all the outrage over draft failures of the past. But they are where they are right now.

The point of this thread is because I saw so many people saying the Jets are neglecting the offense. Trading down in round one and taking a center in round one and w wide recevier in round two would have been perfect. NOBODY wanted to trade up. So they took Williams and improved the defense which does improve the team. Seeing a lot of talk about how it is an offense first leage. That is true, but the Rams are the model that everyone is following and they were basically shut out in the Super Bowl. So drafting defensive players is still a requirement lol.

As far the offense that was the focus of free agency.

Le'Veon Bell is a guy that can take a significant step back and still be a 1,500 total yards per year back.

Jamison Crowder he is going to be a big part of this offense in the slot, think 700 - 800 yards per year.

Kelechi Osemele = huge upgrade on the oline.

We definitely hoped the draft board would fall a different way. But that doesn't mean they did the wrong thing standing at 3. You think Gregg Williams is a little excited about this defense right now? He sure is.

And we “almost” traded up into the 2nd for a WR. Did you hear?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think people just want a C and some Guards taken early at some point soon. I don't think many hold a grudge against the players selected when things have cooled down, but time has come for the O to get some love.

Wouldn't mind seeing C and G in rounds 1-3 next year. Then another early Oline the year after. Others may see it different, but it's well overdue for a offensive bias draft.

 

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Offense gets you to the playoffs while defense wins championships. You need both.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s not that offense was completely neglected but I was hoping, with Darnold and Gase, the team’s philosophy would change from defensive minded to offensive minded. Protecting Sam and getting him weapons would be the team’s far and away priority.

It seems we are still a defense first organization. And that’s just a little disappointing.



Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

24:25:31

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weisnewsli and other veteran centers are still out there as well. It’s April 

 

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was one of those who said Macc didn't do a ton to upgrade the offense.  I guess I should have clarified that I meant more "to help Darnold".  I do think our running game will improve this year.  And I will repeat my point that I think the Jets are going to try to emulate the Seattle Seahawks type of offense this year.  In other words, I think we'll be one of the most run-heavy teams in the league.  That's not to say Sam won't throw the ball around some too but I think the offense is going to go through Le'Veon Bell.  I hope he can survive for a couple of seasons (where he's getting guaranteed money) because I think the Jets are going to abuse him.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

It’s not that offense was completely neglected but I was hoping, with Darnold and Gase, the team’s philosophy would change from defensive minded to offensive minded. Protecting Sam and getting him weapons would be the team’s far and away priority.

It seems we are still a defense first organization. And that’s just a little disappointing.



Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

24:25:31

"Next year"

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of people bitching about Macc, generally, but I didn’t notice a lot of outrage over the Williams pick.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
I saw quite a bit over it. People were upset we didn't trade down even after seeing that we likely had no real trade partners

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

It seems we are still a defense first organization.

Not necessarily. Seems with Mac the Jets are a Best Player Available organization. If the BPA happens to be a defensive guy, that's what they take.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Except of course for Mac saying he had multiple offers to move down

He also said none of them were good enough

  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both of the rookies are going to play.  Wesco in particular should be an integral part of short yardage and goal line packages as well as a fair amount of pulls on runs.  Also could be a nice counter option for screens.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Maxman said:

I was on vacation during the draft but when I checked the board I was surprised at the outrage over the Q Williams pick. For months it was pretty clear that the top of the draft aside from Murray was going to be defense heavy. Sure we all wanted a trade, get more picks. But the QBs are all suspect, so nobody wanted to trade up. Macc is impossible to defend, so trust me, I am not trying to defend him. He leaves a lot to be desired and his best player available mantra leaves the Jets completely neglecting certain positions.

All that being said, with the 3rd pick the Jets made the right choice. Edge rushers are great, and hopefully the Jets got their guy in the 3rd round. But when you play Tom Brady he gets rid of the ball in 2 seconds, so pressure up the middle is important too.  They did the right thing taking Q Williams. I get all the outrage over draft failures of the past. But they are where they are right now.

The point of this thread is because I saw so many people saying the Jets are neglecting the offense. Trading down in round one and taking a center in round one and w wide recevier in round two would have been perfect. NOBODY wanted to trade up. So they took Williams and improved the defense which does improve the team. Seeing a lot of talk about how it is an offense first leage. That is true, but the Rams are the model that everyone is following and they were basically shut out in the Super Bowl. So drafting defensive players is still a requirement lol.

As far the offense that was the focus of free agency.

Le'Veon Bell is a guy that can take a significant step back and still be a 1,500 total yards per year back.

Jamison Crowder he is going to be a big part of this offense in the slot, think 700 - 800 yards per year.

Kelechi Osemele = huge upgrade on the oline.

We definitely hoped the draft board would fall a different way. But that doesn't mean they did the wrong thing standing at 3. You think Gregg Williams is a little excited about this defense right now? He sure is.

I can’t wait to see how many but fumbles you get for this post! @Beerfishand his cohorts will be coming after you.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Maxman said:

I was on vacation during the draft but when I checked the board I was surprised at the outrage over the Q Williams pick. For months it was pretty clear that the top of the draft aside from Murray was going to be defense heavy. Sure we all wanted a trade, get more picks. But the QBs are all suspect, so nobody wanted to trade up. Macc is impossible to defend, so trust me, I am not trying to defend him. He leaves a lot to be desired and his best player available mantra leaves the Jets completely neglecting certain positions.

All that being said, with the 3rd pick the Jets made the right choice. Edge rushers are great, and hopefully the Jets got their guy in the 3rd round. But when you play Tom Brady he gets rid of the ball in 2 seconds, so pressure up the middle is important too.  They did the right thing taking Q Williams. I get all the outrage over draft failures of the past. But they are where they are right now.

The point of this thread is because I saw so many people saying the Jets are neglecting the offense. Trading down in round one and taking a center in round one and w wide recevier in round two would have been perfect. NOBODY wanted to trade up. So they took Williams and improved the defense which does improve the team. Seeing a lot of talk about how it is an offense first leage. That is true, but the Rams are the model that everyone is following and they were basically shut out in the Super Bowl. So drafting defensive players is still a requirement lol.

As far the offense that was the focus of free agency.

Le'Veon Bell is a guy that can take a significant step back and still be a 1,500 total yards per year back.

Jamison Crowder he is going to be a big part of this offense in the slot, think 700 - 800 yards per year.

Kelechi Osemele = huge upgrade on the oline.

We definitely hoped the draft board would fall a different way. But that doesn't mean they did the wrong thing standing at 3. You think Gregg Williams is a little excited about this defense right now? He sure is.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You draft BPA 

7 minutes ago, GREENLANTERN said:

If BPA is a DT for the next 33 years and that’s what we do, that makes absolutely NO sense whatsoever.

At some point(should have been this year) the team has to draft for need. Other wise with this BPA philosophy we could have 33 DT’s running around on offense, defense, and special teams.

Wouldnt that look pretty.

So I agree with identifying your needs then drafting BPA for those needs.

To draft BPA just to draft BPA is insane.

Esoecially when we have a franchise quarterback and we have to protect our investment.

If Darnold goes down who’s gonna be our QB to win games?

This is my point exactly.

Now I’m a defensive guy but 90% defense over the last 15 years is stupid. That’s not a healthy balance(and they still haven’t won anything).

This is the frustrating part.

That being said, I think Q Williams is a great kid and will be a great player and I wish him luck and all the best.

 

 

You draft BPA in the first round particularly top 10. Injuries, a bust, off to another team via free agency all may happen which all of a sudden leaves you with a need at a position that was viewed as a strength. If need meets BPA like last year with Darnold great otherwise BPA 

  • Like 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To me the Jets were in a no lose situation. Either you were going to get arguably the best player in the draft or you could trade down and build the OL. I would have preferred them to trade down but with no top QB's in the draft that were worth trading up for the Jets did the right thing in taking Williams.

Now the rest of the draft ? I'm kinda meh on. This team has such a lack of depth that picking a CB who has not played much because of injury did not make alot of sense to me. To me that was a wasted pick.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

To me the Jets were in a no lose situation. Either you were going to get arguably the best player in the draft or you could trade down and build the OL. I would have preferred them to trade down but with no top QB's in the draft that were worth trading up for the Jets did the right thing in taking Williams.

Now the rest of the draft ? I'm kinda meh on. This team has such a lack of depth that picking a CB who has not played much because of injury did not make alot of sense to me. To me that was a wasted pick.

Maybe they are in the running for Harris or Rhodes? Either 1 would be a stop gap while this kid Austin rehabs. There are still options for the Jets to improve the team that takes the field in 2019. Still work to do in the 2nd round of free agency with pre & post camp moves.

They added 3 Olineman, OK, Chuma & Wesco (270Lb TE). If they can protect Sam, Gase puts in an offense to free guys up, Sam will be in business. Sams developments & how fast he picks up Gase system will be the most important part to the offensive puzzle. Anderson, Quincy, Crowder, Herndon, Wesco, Bell, Montgomery are plenty of weapons.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jets have to compete against the Pats for the Division.  That insures you of at least one home play off game. And the best way to do that is to dictate new terms of engagement in the passing game to the Pats. And QW is the guy to do just that, with his up the middle pass rush.  And QW will help to unleash Leo in that interior pass rush effort too, by freeing him of double teams.

When you're pushing the pocket into Tom Brady, and flushing him out of it, forcing him to complete passes on the move, his efficiency will significantly go down.  Let Brady sit in the pocket all day, or sense the outside pressure, and allow him to step up further in it, he'll consistently make completions and beat you.  

A strong pass rush up the middle against Brady gives Jets the best chance to beat the Pats.  Simply trying to outscore the Pats is not the best way to play them.  Taking Tom Brady out of his comfort zone and rhythm is.

I call it playing Q-ball. Q-ball Brady into the left pocket. Q-ball Brady into the right pocket, Q-ball Brady into the side pocket, Q-ball Brady into a funeral pyre!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Crowder is the only one of those three free agents who will likely be here after the 2020-21 season. Osemele’s contract is up after next year and Bell has his out after 2020 and unless you want to pay a 29 year old back $17+ million in retirement money ($15.5 million cap hit next year) they’re going to have to cut him or renegotiate his deal. Bell averaged 4.0 yards per carry the last full year he played, so you’re not exactly getting an ascendant player as it is, and you only want him around for two years anyway. Likewise, Winters is up after next year, too, so basically your entire offense other than Sam, Herndon, Enunwa, and Crowder hits free agency after 2020 and there’s a viable replacement (Edoga) for exactly one of those spots. Here’s a fun stat for you: in 2020, the Jets will be handing more money in cash to their two ILB’s than they’ll be paying the entire offensive line group. 

Maccagnan isn’t building an offense, he’s setting himself up to have to buy one after next season. Tough way to “rebuild.” 

Another interesting tidbit is that in 2020, before resigning or signing anyone to fill in on offense, the Jets only have about $50 mil in cap space, which is only 19th most in the league. Even teams like the Pats, Giants, Cowboys, and Rams are going to have more money to spend.

 

DB6F31CE-BF27-438B-A974-5ACA5400480F.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

To me the Jets were in a no lose situation. Either you were going to get arguably the best player in the draft or you could trade down and build the OL. I would have preferred them to trade down but with no top QB's in the draft that were worth trading up for the Jets did the right thing in taking Williams.

Now the rest of the draft ? I'm kinda meh on. This team has such a lack of depth that picking a CB who has not played much because of injury did not make alot of sense to me. To me that was a wasted pick.

But you can’t make a realistic assessment of this draft without putting it in the context of the previous 4 seasons. At what point does he learn from his mistakes? He has a failing strategy. Next season the Jets will also pick in the first 6 rounds and once again he’ll pick a defensive linemen because they are usually BAP .... it never ends 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Another interesting tidbit is that in 2020, before resigning or signing anyone to fill in on offense, the Jets only have about $50 mil in cap space, which is only 19th most in the league. Even teams like the Pats, Giants, Cowboys, and Rams are going to have more money to spend.

I presume that is without Leo.  So stupid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, GreenReaper said:

Jets have to compete against the Pats for the Division.  That insures you of at least one home play off game. And the best way to do that is to dictate new terms of engagement in the passing game to the Pats. And QW is the guy to do just that, with his up the middle pass rush.  And QW will help to unleash Leo in that interior pass rush effort too, by freeing him of double teams.

When you're pushing the pocket into Tom Brady, and flushing him out of it, forcing him to complete passes on the move, his efficiency will significantly go down.  Let Brady sit in the pocket all day, or sense the outside pressure, and allow him to step up further in it, he'll consistently make completions and beat you.  

A strong pass rush up the middle against Brady gives Jets the best chance to beat the Pats.  Simply trying to outscore the Pats is not the best way to play them.  Taking Tom Brady out of his comfort zone and rhythm is.

I call it playing Q-ball. Q-ball Brady into the left pocket. Q-ball Brady into the right pocket, Q-ball Brady into the side pocket, Q-ball Brady into a funeral pyre!

This is great as words on a page, but Belichick essentially took Donald out of the Super Bowl.  You think anyone’s actually worried about Quinnen Williams?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You don’t pass on a talent like q.

we didn’t get the chance to trade back unless you wanted to get fleeced. I don’t get the outage either 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Except of course for Mac saying he had multiple offers to move down

Why doesn’t he reveal what those offers were? Is he afraid of the backlash because they were decent ? I knew he would get cold feet, and instead make the lowest risk possible..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...