Adam Gase?

UpperDecker317

My apologies if this is already another thread, however is anyone else curious about the absence of Adam Gase on Draft Day?

via NY Jets website:

1. Gase does not appear in any of the phone calls to our draft picks
  2. Gase does not appear in any of the post draft press conferences while Bowles did last year
  3. Gase does not appear in the photos of Quinnen arriving at facilities: https://www.newyorkjets.com/photos/quinnen-williams-arrives-at-1-jets-drive#bb11edc5-dc63-4c2c-80f7-628a5f41c506

Am i just over thinking this or is something going on?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was listening to this point  on JetsNation Podcast. It definitely added to the speculation that something is just not right. Why would he not be there? I cant think of any valid reason other than having the flu/vomiting/ect, and if that were the case it would have been reported. 

4 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Mac stated in his press conference that Gase was sitting next to him during the draft. I really just think Gase hates the attention. Which I like a lot actually.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

one of the criticisms of gase after he was hired, was that he allegedly clashed with the miami gm and ownership about player personnel.  for this draft i think the strategy was for him to keep a low profile so those issues wouldn't crop up, especially what was looking to be a 1st round pick of a defensive player.  

4 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Mac stated in his press conference that Gase was sitting next to him during the draft. I really just think Gase hates the attention. Which I like a lot actually.

I hope this is truly the case. I'm not sure if Im buying it though. There are parts of my job that I dont care for but simply "have to do." I would think a part of being an NFL HC is public relations (on Draft Day especially). Just seems weird............

one of the criticisms of gase after he was hired, was that he allegedly clashed with the miami gm and ownership about player personnel.  for this draft i think the strategy was for him to keep a low profile so those issues wouldn't crop up, especially what was looking to be a 1st round pick of a defensive player.  

Good point. I also think he hates the media and that the media takes his abrasiveness with them as a sign he is like this with everyone. Which isn’t necessarily going to be the case. At the end of the day he quit because Miami was reportedly going into full rebuild mode, not because he hated the GM. The media loves running with fake narratives when their feelings are hurt.

I think you’re making a good point. If you’re coaching or GM-ing in New York you have to be visible and relate to the public and fans even if you don’t like to. That’s part of the job. One of the key reasons Idzik was out so fast with the Jets not just because of personnel decisions but he totally couldn’t handle it. And the press hated him because of it. Look we all knew that Gase won’t win any personality contests  but the draft is a big deal even now on network TV. And he’s a rep of the organization. Whether you like Macc or not he was up front answered questions and the owner was around too. 

I think you’re making a good point. If you’re coaching or GM-ing in New York you have to be visible and relate to the public and fans even if you don’t like to. That’s part of the job. One of the key reasons Idzik was out so fast with the Jets not just because of personnel decisions but he totally couldn’t handle it. And the press hated him because of it. Look we all knew that Gase won’t win any personality contests the draft is a big deal even now on network TV. And he’s a rep of the organization. Whether you like Macc or not he was up front answered questions and the owner was around too. 

Totally disagree that you need to be visible. You need to win games. The Jets have had wonderfully visible coaches. They were fired because they couldnt win football games.

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I think you’re making a good point. If you’re coaching or GM-ing in New York you have to be visible and relate to the public and fans even if you don’t like to. That’s part of the job. One of the key reasons Idzik was out so fast with the Jets not just because of personnel decisions but he totally couldn’t handle it. And the press hated him because of it. Look we all knew that Gase won’t win any personality contests  but the draft is a big deal even now on network TV. And he’s a rep of the organization. Whether you like Macc or not he was up front answered questions and the owner was around too. 

Actually, no. He needs to win. 

5 minutes ago, CTM said:

The pictures thing is bizzare. Head coach should've been there to meet Q, so I have to imagine he was, does that mean he requested not to be photographed?

Nothing is bizarre. You have no idea what happened outside of a brief moment in time when a picture was taken. 

It's just dumb conspiracy theory nonsense.

7 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Maybe have been a negative in Miami but is exactly what we need here. Mac really needs a HC, O minded HC, to put pressure on him to draft O, especially Oline going forward. Mac loves to pick his D because that is what usually pops up first on his little BPA chart. Gase is the HC we needed 

6 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Totally disagree that you need to be visible. You need to win games. The Jets have had wonderfully visible coaches. They were fired because they couldnt win football games.

I believe its a combination of both. While ultimately it is wins that weighs most, if a HC is not made available at all for the media, the media will make life difficult that could/would lead to being fired. 

I believe its a combination of both. While ultimately it is wins that weighs most, if a HC is not made available at all for the media, the media will make life difficult that could/would lead to being fired. 

Losing football games gets you fired. Winning games shuts the media up. Period.

Just now, freestater said:

It's very odd. Can't think of another example of this. Especially with a new HC. Nobody in the org has even addressed it, have they?

Of course it’s odd. Especially since the assistants were openly filmed talking to he players.

Look even Belichick communicates with the public and you saw the video of his phone conversation with his first round pick. You have to at least show you’re on the same page with the org and the owner. The guy has only been here a few months. He’s  not going to control the entire org in that period of time. And he doesn’t have the track record he was just fired. So when your top pick visits the complex you’re supposed to be around and take pics, Even if he didn’t agree with the pick. 

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Of course it’s odd. Especially since the assistants were openly filmed talking to he players.

I mean...there's nothing strategic about filming "hey kid! We're excited to have you! Can't wait to get you out on the field! " 

It just gives cause for narratives you dont want persisting anyway. When there are reports of a rift already, between FO and CS, why go out of your way to add fuel to the fire?

43 minutes ago, UpperDecker317 said:

My apologies if this is already another thread, however is anyone else curious about the absence of Adam Gase on Draft Day?

via NY Jets website:

1. Gase does not appear in any of the phone calls to our draft picks
  2. Gase does not appear in any of the post draft press conferences while Bowles did last year
  3. Gase does not appear in the photos of Quinnen arriving at facilities: https://www.newyorkjets.com/photos/quinnen-williams-arrives-at-1-jets-drive#bb11edc5-dc63-4c2c-80f7-628a5f41c506

Am i just over thinking this or is something going on?

Hmmmm that DOES seem very odd indeed. Hope there's nothing to it.

14 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Boston media isnt big? Belichick isn’t visible. And when him and Parcells were both here they were visible to an extent. But they werent out there giving away the gameplan every second so fans felt better about the team.

Don't need Gase to give away any information. But when there is a report that the GM will by fired because he is clashing with the HC already, and the HC is not visible at the draft it leads to speculation of incompetence/circus like. 

20 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Again, no you do not. If he wins, no one will care about the other crap. 

You only need to be warm and fuzzy if you are trying to hold on to a job that you're failing at.

Al Davis, late owner of the Raiders ...........  " JUST WIN BABY ! "

15 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Losing football games gets you fired. Winning games shuts the media up. Period.

There are many former NY coaches who won enough to hold onto their jobs but the media made life difficult because they weren't available or were not good speaking with them. Joe Girardi quickly comes to mind. 

Don't need Gase to give away any information. But when there is a report that the GM will by fired because he is clashing with the HC already, and the HC is not visible at the draft it leads to speculation of incompetence/circus like. 

Yeah a report by someone who had a kid that was employed by Bowles. Really believable. Dont believe everything the media tells you is all I can say.

Look even Belichick communicates with the public and you saw the video of his phone conversation with his first round pick. You have to at least show you’re on the same page with the org and the owner. The guy has only been here a few months. He’s  not going to control the entire org in that period of time. And he doesn’t have the track record he was just fired. So when your top pick visits the complex you’re supposed to be around and take pics, Even if he didn’t agree with the pick. 

Maybe he did but they didnt film it. If they go 11-5 idc if he talked to the kid all year.

Belicheck is difficult with the press and usually gives one word answers:

The Press 

"Oh that just gold cold Bill.  He is just that old snapping turtle!  Doesn't if you stupid questions and who can blame him."

Adam Gase shows up to his job interview without a hat and is pilorized for how he looks.

The Press after the Draft

"His absence is proof there's a riff between Macc and Gase.  He doesn't even show during the draft!"

There are many former NY coaches who won enough to hold onto their jobs but the media made life difficult because they weren't available or were not good speaking with them. Joe Girardi quickly comes to mind. 

The Yankees are a totally different situation. Thats a manager who came after a manager that won A LOT.

Archived