Jets at 23 post draft power rankings

For what it’s worth ahead of bills and tanking dolphins. One thing to note, lots of upcoming opponents not looking good this year. See giants, dolphins, redskins, bengals and bills. That’s 7 games there alone. 

Of course the pats are at 2 though 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001028927/article/nfl-power-rankings-new-orleans-saints-on-top-after-2019-draft

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The games against Dolphins and Bills are divisional. even if those teams are hopeless this season, they will be absolute battles. As will the Giants - that game will be a war 

you didn't mention the game at Philly (they are 0-9 as a franchise) and at Baltimore (another super tough place to play) and getting visits from Dallas and PIttsburgh where the away fans could outnumber the home. They don't travel far but the schedule sucks. 

this is an accurate power ranking btw

there are many fans who think this is a 11 or 12 win team that's not these things go 

let's see if they can get to 500 

Hard disagree. The Pitt game is at home and the ravens in Baltimore? Short trip. Eagles is a tough game but early. Didn’t even mention raiders at home which should be another w 

12 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Hard disagree. The Pitt game is at home and the ravens in Baltimore? Short trip. Eagles is a tough game but early. Didn’t even mention raiders at home which should be another w 

last year they had a game at Chicago. october 28. When the schedule was released, many thought it was a very winnable game

but the franchise hadn't won in Chicago since the year 2000 and something like 3-7 overall 

I said they would lose that game just because, and everyone said I was a jackass etc. 

but these franchise records all time, I don't know why they matter but they do 

the Jets lost 28-10 by the way 

as for the Eagles they've never beaten this team home or away. 0-10. it's more than a tough game. It's a terrible matchup, historically speaking. Again, there's no logical reason why the last 10 games should matter...except it's the same road trip, out of conference and some aspects line up. I'm not saying they will 100% lose that game but probably more like 75% just on history alone. 

Pitt is winnable but have you ever been to Ravens' stadium? It's loud AF and they don't give up. It's like the east coast version of arrowhead. Actual fans who don't care about traffic etc. There's a real home field advantage there. 

they also have 2 games vs NE

8-8 is a best case, don't shoot the messenger 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

last year they had a game at Chicago. october 28. When the schedule was released, many thought it was a very winnable game

but the franchise hadn't won in Chicago since the year 2000 and something like 3-7 overall 

I said they would lose that game just because, and everyone said I was a jackass etc. 

as for the Eagles they've never beaten this team home or away. 0-10. it's more than a tough game. It's a terrible matchup, historically speaking. Again, there's no logical reason why the last 10 games should matter...except it's the same road trip, out of conference and some aspects line up. I'm not saying they will 100% lose that game but probably more like 75% just on history alone. 

Pitt is winnable but have you ever been to Ravens' stadium? It's loud AF and they don't give up. It's like the east coast version of arrowhead. Actual fans who don't care about traffic etc. There's a real home field advantage there. 

can you share with us your w/l for each week?  

8-8 best case seems too negative.  i would be disappointed in anything less than 7 wins and i think 10 is possible (but a stretch).

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Imo we will fine out very early this year whether we have a shot or not to make some noise and it will come down to how the coaching staff looks.

I think a lot will also depend on the front 7.  With the resources we added this year: QW, Polite and Mosley, we have to be able to get to the QB.  Especially with the questions we have at the corner position.  If we can't get tot he QB, could  be a long season.

As currently constructed, I think we are a 7 win team, but it everything breaks right on defense; and if Darnold takes a step 9 wins and WC contention is not out of the question.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Lith said:

I think a lot will also depend on the front 7.  With the resources we added this year: QW, Polite and Mosley, we have to be able to get to the QB.  Especially with the questions we have at the corner position.  If we can't get tot he QB, could  be a long season.

As currently constructed, I think we are a 7 win team, but it everything breaks right on defense; and if Darnold takes a step 9 wins and WC contention is not out of the question.

If you want that to even come close to that happening, keeping Claiborne as far away from Florham Park is a must.

19 minutes ago, bitonti said:

So much about the Eagles game will hinge on the status of Wentz.  He's coming back from knee and back injuries.  Should be ready by Week 1 but no guarantees.  We play them week 5 after both teams have a long rest (week 4 is our bye and they have a Thu night game).  

And really, almost everything hinges on Darnold.  If he's playing up to what we think his potential is, anything can happen any week.  If he regresses, then it's going to be a long season no matter what anyone else does.

I don't agree 8-8 is best case but I do think it's a realistic projection and we could go 1, maybe 2 games in either direction although lower is a little more probable than higher IMO.  That's now.  Let's revisit it in August.  

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

can you share with us your w/l for each week?  

8-8 best case seems too negative.  i would be disappointed in anything less than 7 wins and i think 10 is possible (but a stretch).

week 1 home vs BUF - WIN (Jets often win home openers)

week 2 home vs CLE - WIN  (this is generous I'm still not sure they can cover Odell & Landry)

week 3 at NE - LOSS (In Cheatsboro, no one can hear you scream. Because the radios have been jammed)

BYE  (at 2-1, what does Adam Gase say to the God of Death Gregg Williams? Not today.) 

week 5 at PHI - LOSS (0-10 becomes 0-11, just because)

week 6 vs DAL - LOSS (away fans take over the stadium becomes a DAL home game)

week 7 vs NE - LOSS (I want to believe they beat TB12 at home. Boy I want to believe that)

week 8 at JAC - WIN (Jets have revenge and usually can stop the run)

week 9 at MIA - WIN (Assuming Fitz/Rosen is a cluster-F  _ Jets are 4-4 at this point)

week 10 vs NYG - WIN (probably the game of the year, in terms of whether they go to the playoffs or not)

week 11 at WAS - WIN (the Skins are awful)

week 12 vs OAK - WIN (they are in the tank, this is favorable schedule part) 

week 13 at CIN - LOSS (if AJ Green/Joe Mixon are healthy this will be tough road game) 

week 14 vs MIA - LOSS (would be generous with a sweep projection) 

week 15 at BAL - LOSS (Ravens stadium is a tough place to play, Lamar is ascending) 

week 16 vs PIT  - WIN (Somehow even tho the Steelers fans travel well) 

week 17 at BUF - LOSS (last week of the season in Buffalo with the season on the line sounds super cold).  

there's 8-8 and i feel like that's generous

it could go other ways (they lose to Jacksonville, beat Cinci)  or (they beat Dallas and lose to the Giants) etc but basically they have to go 4-2 in the division or better (sweep both BUF and MIA) to get to 9-7 

seems hopeful. they aren't 10-11-12 wins good yet.

• Upvote 1

8-8 is reasonable but the upside has more potential than that imo.  Heath is a factor to of course.  The big plus it that we have a QB and a couple of playmakers which make games much more fun and interesting to watch.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

For what it’s worth ahead of bills and tanking dolphins. One thing to note, lots of upcoming opponents not looking good this year. See giants, dolphins, redskins, bengals and bills. That’s 7 games there alone. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001028927/article/nfl-power-rankings-new-orleans-saints-on-top-after-2019-draft

My opinion....Dolphins won't be as bad as people think.  Bills won't be as good as people think.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

The games against Dolphins and Bills are divisional. even if those teams are hopeless this season, they will be absolute battles. As will the Giants - that game will be a war 

you didn't mention the game at Philly (they are 0-9 as a franchise) and at Baltimore (another super tough place to play) and getting visits from Dallas and PIttsburgh where the away fans could outnumber the home. They don't travel far but the schedule sucks. 

there are many fans who think this is a 11 or 12 win team that's not these things go 

That's the 1st step

2 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

The schedule is not super easy but not super tough IMO.  I think if Darnold takes a massive leap forward this year, the team is capable of winning anywhere between 8-10 games with a little luck.  

I know what you meant here, and I agree with you, but just go back and look at how you expressed it. I laughed because I feel the same way you do and would've expressed it the same way.

We're so conditioned to seeing poor play from this team, we're almost afraid to predict a decent season without hedging our bet with every qualifier we can think of.

As far as my prediction, the first 6 games should tell our story. If we can go 3-3, we're going to have a decent .500ish type team. Go 4-2, I'm thinking playoff berth.

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

And I am sure there is a blog by a Pats fan somewhere bemoaning the grave injustice of them being ranked number 2. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, bitonti said:

week 2 home vs CLE - WIN  (this is generous I'm still not sure they can cover Odell & Landry)

week 3 at NE - LOSS (In Cheatsboro, no one can hear you scream. Because the radios have been jammed)

BYE  (at 2-1, what does Adam Gase say to the God of Death Gregg Williams? Not today.) 

week 7 vs NE - LOSS (I want to believe they beat TB12 at home. Boy I want to believe that)

week 9 at MIA - WIN (Assuming Fitz/Rosen is a cluster-F  _ Jets are 4-4 at this point)

week 10 vs NYG - WIN (probably the game of the year, in terms of whether they go to the playoffs or not)

week 13 at CIN - LOSS (if AJ Green/Joe Mixon are healthy this will be tough road game) 

week 15 at BAL - LOSS (Ravens stadium is a tough place to play, Lamar is ascending) 

week 17 at BUF - LOSS (last week of the season in Buffalo with the season on the line sounds super cold).  

it could go other ways (they lose to Jacksonville, beat Cinci)  or (they beat Dallas and lose to the Giants) etc but basically they have to go 4-2 in the division or better (sweep both BUF and MIA) to get to 9-7 

i don't think losing to Miami and buf in the last 1/4 of the season is being generous.  i think 8-8 is very possible and 9-7 is what i am hoping for.  

but i think i am generally an optimist

7 hours ago, bitonti said:

I can tell you are reaching with us losing to Cincy

8 hours ago, peebag said:

well if they don't get the Oline fixed, here's a pic of Sam running the offense

d2f.gif

Good news is, he’s used to crappy line play...thankfully his ability to scramble and make plays out of nothing is one of his greatest strengths.

hopefully, it will look more like this....

8 hours ago, bitonti said:

Good points.  It's actually looking quite hostile.  I was considering going to the Raven's game due to my wife being a Raven's fan and her side of he family living in Baltimore. Now that I think about it, that may be a miserable day. lol 

I also think Buffalo had an exceptional offseason. They are going to be much tougher than recent tradition would suggest. And they Shellacked the Darnoldless Jets last season anyway.  I wouldn't sleep on the Bills. they are taking things much more seriously these days. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, bitonti said:

8 wins shows improvement.  I'd take it.  Anything more is gravy.