Jets at 23 post draft power rankings

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

8 wins in the 5th year of the rebuild? Nowhere near good enough. But it’s probably where we’re headed, with Macc getting an extension afterwards.

That's my assessment.  "Nowhere near good enough" is more a subjective opinion of the current Jets regime.  No?  New CS and a second-year QB make things dicey for the Jets as each team in our division improved in the draft.  If you expect some kind of miracle ala the 1999 Rams who went 4-12 to 13-3 and a Super Bowl victory I'd say you're dreaming.

20 hours ago, bitonti said:

The games against Dolphins and Bills are divisional. even if those teams are hopeless this season, they will be absolute battles. As will the Giants - that game will be a war 

you didn't mention the game at Philly (they are 0-9 as a franchise) and at Baltimore (another super tough place to play) and getting visits from Dallas and PIttsburgh where the away fans could outnumber the home. They don't travel far but the schedule sucks. 

this is an accurate power ranking btw

there are many fans who think this is a 11 or 12 win team that's not these things go 

let's see if they can get to 500 

.500 is the floor, we made a huge upgrade with coaching.  That alone would have brought us close to .500, we have also been huge upgrades in talent.  Yes we are still not complete but we have more than enough to compete for a playoff spot barring disastrous injuries and that should be the expectation for all of us.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

8 wins in the 5th year of the rebuild? Nowhere near good enough. But it’s probably where we’re headed, with Macc getting an extension afterwards.

This is the 3rd year of a rebuild not the 5th, they blew it up after year 2.  I would be disappointed with 8-8 as I think we could win 9-10 games but 8-8 wouldn't be a disaster unless we were 8-3/7-4 and collapsed down the stretch.

9 minutes ago, Jetscode1 said:

That's my assessment.  "Nowhere near good enough" is more a subjective opinion of the current Jets regime.  No?  New CS and a second-year QB make things dicey for the Jets as each team in our division improved in the draft.  If you expect some kind of miracle ala the 1999 Rams who went 4-12 to 13-3 and a Super Bowl victory I'd say you're dreaming.

We are not a SB contender, we are a playoff contender.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

This is the 3rd year of a rebuild not the 5th, they blew it up after year 2.  I would be disappointed with 8-8 as I think we could win 9-10 games but 8-8 wouldn't be a disaster unless we were 8-3/7-4 and collapsed down the stretch. 

1st year of Macc era:  Competitive Rebuild

2nd year:  Hackenberg rebuild

3rd year:  Post-Fitzpatrick tear-down

4th year:  Darnold rebuild

5th year:  Competitive Rebuild

1 hour ago, Jetscode1 said:

I don't expect anything but disaster.  I'm just saying that Year 5 of the current GM's tenure should have us thinking 8-8 is a failure.  But its the Jets and Macc is a terrible GM, so of course that's a pipe dream.

1 hour ago, Jetscode1 said:

I have these thoughts in April and May as well but lately rooting for draft position in December

I will never, ever root for draft position.

Todd Bowles is gone, it's ok to have optimism again.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

1st year of Macc era:  Competitive Rebuild

2nd year:  Hackenberg rebuild

3rd year:  Post-Fitzpatrick tear-down

4th year:  Darnold rebuild

5th year:  Competitive Rebuild

Hackenberg was throwing a dart at a dartboard, they did plan to rebuild around him.  They were hoping to get lucky.  This rebuild started after 2016, it's year 3 and we should be a playoff contender.  The last 2 years with a competent coaching staff we are at least best .500 each season, it's ok to be optimistic.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I will never, ever root for draft position.

Todd Bowles is gone, it's ok to have optimism again. 

Hackenberg was throwing a dart at a dartboard, they did plan to rebuild around him.  They were hoping to get lucky.  This rebuild started after 2016, it's year 3 and we should be a playoff contender.  The last 2 years with a competent coaching staff we are at least best .500 each season, it's ok to be optimistic. 

Not when there's little to no evidence suggesting there are reasons to be optimistic.  Then you're just a Pollyanna.

this-is-fine.0.jpg

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Not when there's little to no evidence suggesting there are reasons to be optimistic.  Then you're just a Pollyanna.

this-is-fine.0.jpg

You don't have to be, you can be gloom and doom.  I feel great about this team for the first time in a long time.  I'm excited.

3 hours ago, nyjunc said:

.500 is the floor, we made a huge upgrade with coaching.  That alone would have brought us close to .500, we have also been huge upgrades in talent.  Yes we are still not complete but we have more than enough to compete for a playoff spot barring disastrous injuries and that should be the expectation for all of us.

just to be clear, .500 is a 4 win improvement

you are expecting a 6 or 7 win improvement from last season. NAY, Demanding it.

and given the Jets franchise history, you see no problem with that level of optimism

this is our fanbase in a nutshell it's gotta be some kind of masochism. To purposely get one's hopes up so high... only to have them dashed quite expertly every single season. 

it's like wile - e - coyote type thinking  

here's how it goes 

crappy 4-12,

decent 7-9/8-8 maybe even 9-7 

playoff/SB contender (They are the same thing) 10-11 wins

they added 122 million in players and changed the laundry but Jets still have too many holes and a pervasive culture of losing  

they need to learn how to walk before they can run 

23 hours ago, nycdan said:

And really, almost everything hinges on Darnold.  If he's playing up to what we think his potential is, anything can happen any week.  If he regresses, then it's going to be a long season no matter what anyone else does.

Our season rides on Darnold. If he improves we improve, the rest of the roster is good enough to win 10-12 games with great QB play. If Darnold is great we will be good. If darnold sucks we will suck

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

and given the Jets franchise history, you see no problem with that level of optimism

this is our fanbase in a nutshell it's gotta be some kind of masochism. To purposely get one's hopes up so high... only to have them dashed quite expertly every single season. 

here's how it goes 

crappy 4-12,

they added 122 million in players and changed the laundry but Jets still have too many holes and a pervasive culture of losing  

With semi competent coaching last year we win around 7 games so the leap isn't as great as you might think. 

My expectation is 9 or 10 wins which would be a 5 or 6 game improvement.  In 1997 we improved by 8 games, in 2006 by 6 games, in 2015 6 games.  All with new coaches (obviously a little different in 97 with a HOF coach).  

With recent year 2 QBs:

Philly 6 game improvement from 16 to 17

Ten 6 games from 15 to 16

Hou 7 games from 17 to 18

Chi 7 games from 17 to 18

Rams 7 games from 16 to 17

This is not some crazy leap. Have some optimism, it's ok.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

With semi competent coaching last year we win around 7 games so the leap isn't as great as you might think. 

My expectation is 9 or 10 wins which would be a 5 or 6 game improvement.  In 1997 we improved by 8 games, in 2006 by 6 games, in 2015 6 games.  All with new coaches (obviously a little different in 97 with a HOF coach).  

With recent year 2 QBs:

Right now the Vegas line on Jets future is 7 wins. That means you need the team to get to 8 to win the bet. If they are getting to 10 or 11 this should be the easiest money ever

the difference between the Jets and those teams is first, none of those teams had TB12 in the division, cheating and benjamin buttoning his way to being the oldest QB ever to play 

(has anyone checked him for one of those "red woman" necklaces from GoT?)

so why are you wasting time arguing with me you can place that bet in NJ today 

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

here's how it goes 

crappy 4-12,

Tell that to the bears who went 4-12 to 12-4. They arguably didn’t fill all their holes. Improved qb play plus weak schedule may surprise some folks. Not saying we are going 4-12 but 8-8 as ceiling is absurd

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

With recent year 2 QBs:

didn't realize the recent 2 year QB had done that well in terms of improvement.  i think 9-7 is possible and would make for a fun year as long as Sam is improving.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Right now the Vegas line on Jets future is 7 wins. That means you need the team to get to 8 to win the bet. If they are getting to 10 or 11 this should be the easiest money ever

the difference between the Jets and those teams is first, none of those teams had TB12 in the division, cheating and benjamin buttoning his way to being the oldest QB ever to play 

is 7 wins a push (i.e. you get your money back)?  if so, i would put some money on the over.  i think they win more than 6 games.

if i could get 100x on the Jets winning the super-bowl i would probably put $100 on it so i could pay for going to the game.

On 4/29/2019 at 10:19 AM, bitonti said:

The games against Dolphins and Bills are divisional. even if those teams are hopeless this season, they will be absolute battles. As will the Giants - that game will be a war 

you didn't mention the game at Philly (they are 0-9 as a franchise) and at Baltimore (another super tough place to play) and getting visits from Dallas and PIttsburgh where the away fans could outnumber the home. They don't travel far but the schedule sucks. 

there are many fans who think this is a 11 or 12 win team that's not these things go 

yep, it's probably a nice rational assessment of where the jets are.  it would be foolish to think that moving away from bowles would suddenly wake this team up and even signing guys like bell aren't going to be enough to cover all the holes.  but at the same time, in the nfl, it doesn't look like past performance is a real good indicator of future performance with the exception of a handfull of teams.  i don't think anyone thought seattle or green bay or even the giaints would do so poorly or even that the rams would look as strong as they did.  and even though new orleans was in it until the bad call play, they still hadn't been a real powerhouse for a few seasons before.  so many things have got to go right for teams to really do well.

imo this current jets team is closer to being a consistent 8-8 team than they have in a few seasons and a few nice bounces of the ball could easily propel them into the playoffs.  they will need to handle the teams in their own division first.  no mystery here.  if they can sweep the bills and the doltfins and then split with the patsies they'll be in really great shape.

24 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I never said 11, I said floor of 8-8 and I'd expect 9-10. I don't gamble.

8 minutes ago, rangerous said:

yep, it's probably a nice rational assessment of where the jets are.  it would be foolish to think that moving away from bowles would suddenly wake this team up and even signing guys like bell aren't going to be enough to cover all the holes.  but at the same time, in the nfl, it doesn't look like past performance is a real good indicator of future performance with the exception of a handfull of teams.  i don't think anyone thought seattle or green bay or even the giaints would do so poorly or even that the rams would look as strong as they did.  and even though new orleans was in it until the bad call play, they still hadn't been a real powerhouse for a few seasons before.  so many things have got to go right for teams to really do well.

imo this current jets team is closer to being a consistent 8-8 team than they have in a few seasons and a few nice bounces of the ball could easily propel them into the playoffs.  they will need to handle the teams in their own division first.  no mystery here.  if they can sweep the bills and the doltfins and then split with the patsies they'll be in really great shape.

Getting rid of Bowles alone gets us 3-4 more wins, he was that bad.

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Getting rid of Bowles alone gets us 3-4 more wins, he was that bad.

yep.  i think you are right but at the same time we see some pretty clueless coaches out there who luck into having a decent team but don't do much after the first or second season.

On 4/29/2019 at 10:19 AM, bitonti said:

Agreed that our schedule (deceptively) sucks:

-We have a "home game" against the Giants 

-Our first game against the Pats is on a short week of rest (we play Monday night week 2)

-We appear on MNF twice and both times we play on the road the following week (one being the Pats as mentioned directly above).  In other words, we have a short week plus a road game (travel, hostile environment, etc).

-We play the Eagles, who we've never beaten (and I think we rarely even look competitive against)

-Our bye is early (week 4).  I'd much rather have a bye later in the season when things start to get grueling.

-The last 3 weeks of the season (during a potential playoff push?) look like they'll be very tough (at Baltimore, vs Pittsburgh, at Buffalo).  

10 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I don't expect anything but disaster.  I'm just saying that Year 5 of the current GM's tenure should have us thinking 8-8 is a failure.  But its the Jets and Macc is a terrible GM, so of course that's a pipe dream.

I accepted the fact a long time ago that I'm not the owner and cannot wish away a GM who sucks at roster construction...with that said 8-8 is an improvement over last year...if Darnold shows solid improvement, that means our new HC is probably competent and maybe there is more to hope.  In our green world this is progress...I just want to see some meaningful games in November and December.

On 4/29/2019 at 11:40 AM, bitonti said:

week 1 home vs BUF - WIN (Jets often win home openers)

week 2 home vs CLE - WIN  (this is generous I'm still not sure they can cover Odell & Landry)

week 3 at NE - LOSS (In Cheatsboro, no one can hear you scream. Because the radios have been jammed)

BYE  (at 2-1, what does Adam Gase say to the God of Death Gregg Williams? Not today.) 

week 5 at PHI - LOSS (0-10 becomes 0-11, just because)

week 6 vs DAL - LOSS (away fans take over the stadium becomes a DAL home game)

week 7 vs NE - LOSS (I want to believe they beat TB12 at home. Boy I want to believe that)

week 8 at JAC - WIN (Jets have revenge and usually can stop the run)

week 9 at MIA - WIN (Assuming Fitz/Rosen is a cluster-F  _ Jets are 4-4 at this point)

week 10 vs NYG - WIN (probably the game of the year, in terms of whether they go to the playoffs or not)

week 11 at WAS - WIN (the Skins are awful)

week 12 vs OAK - WIN (they are in the tank, this is favorable schedule part) 

week 13 at CIN - LOSS (if AJ Green/Joe Mixon are healthy this will be tough road game) 

week 14 vs MIA - LOSS (would be generous with a sweep projection) 

week 15 at BAL - LOSS (Ravens stadium is a tough place to play, Lamar is ascending) 

week 16 vs PIT  - WIN (Somehow even tho the Steelers fans travel well) 

week 17 at BUF - LOSS (last week of the season in Buffalo with the season on the line sounds super cold).  

there's 8-8 and i feel like that's generous

it could go other ways (they lose to Jacksonville, beat Cinci)  or (they beat Dallas and lose to the Giants) etc but basically they have to go 4-2 in the division or better (sweep both BUF and MIA) to get to 9-7 

seems hopeful. they aren't 10-11-12 wins good yet.

Reasonable, although Cincy is a bad team.... I'd be surprised to see us lose that one.

Everyone thinks bc the Jets got better this off-season it automatically means it'll translate into wins. Other teams got better too. The Bills upgraded their receiving core, RB room and their offensive line (massively). On defense they added Oliver to the #2 unit in the NFL. If their QB takes any jump from last year they could easily win 10 games. If we're all assuming Darnold will then I'd think Allen will as well. As constructed now the Bills are a better all around team.

The Jets need to bring in a legitimate #2 CB and pray that Trumaine returns to Pro Bowl form or they'll be screwed on defense. Drafting a DT at 3 will mean nothing if they can't cover in the secondary.

On offense they still have a massive hole on the line at Center. If they can address those two issues I'd put them on par with the Bills. If they don't I'm not sure they beat the Bills this year.

On April 29, 2019 at 11:40 AM, bitonti said:

week 1 home vs BUF - WIN (Jets often win home openers)

week 2 home vs CLE - WIN  (this is generous I'm still not sure they can cover Odell & Landry)

week 3 at NE - LOSS (In Cheatsboro, no one can hear you scream. Because the radios have been jammed)

BYE  (at 2-1, what does Adam Gase say to the God of Death Gregg Williams? Not today.) 

week 5 at PHI - LOSS (0-10 becomes 0-11, just because)

week 6 vs DAL - LOSS (away fans take over the stadium becomes a DAL home game)

week 7 vs NE - LOSS (I want to believe they beat TB12 at home. Boy I want to believe that)

week 8 at JAC - WIN (Jets have revenge and usually can stop the run)

week 9 at MIA - WIN (Assuming Fitz/Rosen is a cluster-F  _ Jets are 4-4 at this point)

week 10 vs NYG - WIN (probably the game of the year, in terms of whether they go to the playoffs or not)

week 11 at WAS - WIN (the Skins are awful)

week 12 vs OAK - WIN (they are in the tank, this is favorable schedule part) 

week 13 at CIN - LOSS (if AJ Green/Joe Mixon are healthy this will be tough road game) 

week 14 vs MIA - LOSS (would be generous with a sweep projection) 

week 15 at BAL - LOSS (Ravens stadium is a tough place to play, Lamar is ascending) 

week 16 vs PIT  - WIN (Somehow even tho the Steelers fans travel well) 

week 17 at BUF - LOSS (last week of the season in Buffalo with the season on the line sounds super cold).  

there's 8-8 and i feel like that's generous

it could go other ways (they lose to Jacksonville, beat Cinci)  or (they beat Dallas and lose to the Giants) etc but basically they have to go 4-2 in the division or better (sweep both BUF and MIA) to get to 9-7 

seems hopeful. they aren't 10-11-12 wins good yet.

You're delusional if you think the Jets are beating the Raiders.  Jets defense should be very tough to run against . Big deal  how do you think the Jets defense is stopping the Raiders passing attack. ( Wr's - Antonio Brown, Tyrell Williams , Keelan Doss , Hunter Renfrow, Rbs - Josh Jacobs, Jalen Richard Fb undrafted Fa Alec InGold Wisconsin ,   Te's Darren Waller 6'6 245 4.46 ( stole him off Ravens practice squad  late last year) , Lsu Te Moreau etc.   They can attack Jets on every level in the passing game.

.Raiders offense line despite getting rid of Osemele is much improved.   LT K Miller Lg Gabe Jackson C R Hudson RG D Good ( this only spot thats up for grabs . Rt Trent Brown( so massive that's eats up the top pass rushers - See Dee Ford, Von Milker - Yea but a rookie J Polite going to do better against him Lmao.

Raiders defense is where you will see the most improvement really addressed this in Fa, and the draft.   Biggest improvement is in their secondary.  Like night and day the difference what they had last year versus this year.    Very deep group  now that gives the DC so many options.   Lb corps - with the addition of Brandon Marshall , V Burlict to go with their young lb's Marquel Lee, Tevon Coney( undrafted Fa ,  Q Bell 6'6 240 4.38 ( think m Zimmer double A gap- when they do blitz he's going to destroy the Qb - shortest distance between two points is straight line.   

Raiders defense line is very young and talented. Last year defensive rookies ( Pj Hall , M Hurst, and A Key  best group they drafted in sometime.   All those players will see a big jump in their second year. Throw in this year crop C Ferrel ( simply destroyed J Williams in the championship game) , Maxx Crosby - See Snacks Mel Kiper scouting report.   Said biggest draft sleeper once he adds strength will becunblockable. 

The Raiders might not be a playoff team .   Worst schedule ever given to a team ( 7 games straight on the road - that's included a London trip that counts as home game. Very tough division - the Chargers , and Kc are very tough.     Still every Raider fan counting the Jets game as a victory.    Just like they do every time they play the Jets.  Throw it early and often, than go with the running game. 

10 hours ago, Jetscode1 said:

I accepted the fact a long time ago that I'm not the owner and cannot wish away a GM who sucks at roster construction...with that said 8-8 is an improvement over last year...if Darnold shows solid improvement, that means our new HC is probably competent and maybe there is more to hope.  In our green world this is progress...I just want to see some meaningful games in November and December.

You do realize Bowles and Macc won 10 games in their first year together and just missed making the playoffs. How has that ‘improvement’ been working out? Yes we are a better, more competitive team this year than last but we are light years away from being a legit playoff team. 

52 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

You do realize Bowles and Macc won 10 games in their first year together and just missed making the playoffs. How has that ‘improvement’ been working out? Yes we are a better, more competitive team this year than last but we are light years away from being a legit playoff team. 

Are you trying to be snarky?  Not sure what your point is here.

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 10:50 AM, bitonti said:

last year they had a game at Chicago. october 28. When the schedule was released, many thought it was a very winnable game

but the franchise hadn't won in Chicago since the year 2000 and something like 3-7 overall 

I said they would lose that game just because, and everyone said I was a jackass etc. 

but these franchise records all time, I don't know why they matter but they do 

the Jets lost 28-10 by the way 

as for the Eagles they've never beaten this team home or away. 0-10. it's more than a tough game. It's a terrible matchup, historically speaking. Again, there's no logical reason why the last 10 games should matter...except it's the same road trip, out of conference and some aspects line up. I'm not saying they will 100% lose that game but probably more like 75% just on history alone. 

Pitt is winnable but have you ever been to Ravens' stadium? It's loud AF and they don't give up. It's like the east coast version of arrowhead. Actual fans who don't care about traffic etc. There's a real home field advantage there. 

they also have 2 games vs NE

8-8 is a best case, don't shoot the messenger 

8-8 is best case? What's worse case? 3-13? Not shooting the messenger, just think he doesn't know what he's talking about. Which is fine because you are in good company here.

1 hour ago, Ken Shroy said:

8-8 is best case? What's worse case? 3-13? Not shooting the messenger, just think he doesn't know what he's talking about. Which is fine because you are in good company here.

i believe the poster is a traditional "SOJF".  it's been the correct positioning the last few years.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jetscode1 said:

Are you trying to be snarky?  Not sure what your point is here.

Not at all. Lets not be oversensitive. You stated 8-8 would be a 'improvement'. Macc has been on the job 4 years. His 1st year went 10-6 and floundered the next 3. That 10-6 record  was not indictive of his influence on the team. Fitz was solely responsible for the resurgence and he lucked into the starting job at that.  I would not be jumping up and down if we go .500  8-8 would be like kissing your sister.  Playoffs. Period. How many years are the Johnson's going to give this bum to make the playoffs.  Its ludicrous.