Nate Shepherd and Foley Fat

TNJet

4 reasons why they won’t: Quinnen Williams, Leonard Williams, Henry Anderson, Steve McLendon. Plus there’s UDFA’s and the remainder of the offseason for the DL depth chart to crystallize.

Barring injury there’s no reason to expect Shepherd or Fatukaski to get significant snaps. And we burned a 3rd rounder on the former....yikes.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

4 reasons why they won’t: Quinnen Williams, Leonard Williams, Henry Anderson, Steve McLendon. Plus there’s UDFA’s and the remainder of the offseason for the DL depth chart to crystallize.

Barring injury there’s no reason to expect Shepherd or Fatukaski to get significant snaps. And we burned a 3rd rounder on the former....yikes.

new-york-jets-general-manager-mike-macca

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Too early to tell.. However unlike the previous "regime", I'm sure they'll both get a shot to show that they can contribute at any level.  We'll then at least have an idea of what they can do. 

I remember being angry last year, when, during that shi#tshow of a season, Toilet and Co. refused to let Fatukaski get even a smell of the field, even though the season was lost, and the interior run defense and pass rush was pitiful. 

Shepard actually regressed during the course of the season, looking better during the preseason.  Poor coaching, player development and defensive schemes may have a lot to do with that.  We'll see.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Yeah, they'll be backups/rotational players.

Ideally Shepard and Fat fill in the gaps over the next few years under their cheap rookie contracts while Anderson, Williams and Williams get the bulk of the action. Mind, that's not the BEST use of a third rounder but under the best case scenario it would just a result of getting an embarrassment of riches at D-line.

Like if Shep was starter quality and Williams and Williams were top 10-15 guys that's a good situation to have. But of course that's predicated on him and Fat being something of worth, and we have no real indication of that beyond them not being locker room problem.

21 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You don't know that . Todd country club Bowles is gone , you have no idea how GW will teach/utilize/motivate the players he has on the roster. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I put those 2 in different categories  - Sheppard at least got out there, played, made a contribution, put up some stats, etc.   Fatusaki was inactive for all 16 games (I think)

I expect Sheppard to at the very least to make the team and do something - Fatusaki hasn't done anything to make me confident that he is more than just a bubble player 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Do you guys see them with a significant role in Gregg's defense? I remember liking these guys in last years draft. Both are huge, at about 6-4, 315. I'm digging the youth movement on our DLine.

I hope so, but Shepherd fell off the face of the earth toward the end of last season. He isn't the youngest 2nd year guy (25?) either, so that's not encouraging. Especially for a 3rd round pick.

How about we go with the good old "Let GW get his hands on them, and see what he can do with 'em" approach?

Like you said, youth movement is good!

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Shephard will do very well as the rotational guy.  Like the Eagles coach said (even though he was talking about edge specifically)  Can't have enough effective D line guys. 

I am actually looking forward to seeing how a few of the guys we had on D can benefit from an aggressive scheme and some legit coaching.  Shep (that's what I'm gonna call him moving forward lol) is one I am most interested in. 

Others include Tru, Luvu, Fatukasi, Roberts, Adams and Maye. We have a lot of young guys that we haven't really seen their potential yet.  kinda exciting if we can allow it to be. Well... Almost. 

• Sympathy 2

2 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Shephard will do very well as the rotational guy.  Like the Eagles coach said (even though he was talking about edge specifically)  Can't have enough effective D line guys. 

I am actually looking forward to seeing how a few of the guys we had on D can benefit from an aggressive scheme and some legit coaching.  Shep (that's what I'm gonna call him moving forward lol) is one I am most interested in. 

Others include Tru, Luvu, Fatukasi, Roberts, Adams and Maye. We have a lot of young guys that we haven't really seen their potential yet.  kinda exciting if we can allow it to be. Well... Almost. 

Maccagnan is that you? Lol "moving forward" 

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Too early to tell.. However unlike the previous "regime", I'm sure they'll both get a shot to show that they can contribute at any level.  We'll then at least have an idea of what they can do. 

I remember being angry last year, when, during that shi#tshow of a season, Toilet and Co. refused to let Fatukaski get even a smell of the field, even though the season was lost, and the interior run defense and pass rush was pitiful. 

Shepard actually regressed during the course of the season, looking better during the preseason.  Poor coaching, player development and defensive schemes may have a lot to do with that.  We'll see.

As spoken by Don LaFontaine

• Haha 1

So what exactly was shepards upside when macagnan picked him in the 3rd round? U would clearly think any 3rd rounder is picked to be a starter in yeAr 1-2.  Barring injury that isn't happening,. He's A third rounder who's a rotational guy at best. I'm not a bash Macagnan guy but my god, this is a pick that is tough to defend. we mastered Effin up the second round pick decades ago, but now we struggle with the third.   Stewart was a disaster and the best we are getting out of Shepard is a rotational guy.   Can't win with this type of picking. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

If Shepherd can become a decent backup and rotational guy behind Henry Anderson (8-15 snaps per game) and Fatukasi can focus on NT / DT and maybe learn from McClendon then that's about the best we can hope for I think.

These are depth guys, especially with the addition of Q Williams.

2 minutes ago, Mac is a Tool said:

Nathan sheperd better turn into something worth while. He had a whole season of nfl coaching. I dont recall how old he is but heres hoping he isnt a bust

No he had a whole season of midget league coaching. Lets see what they can do with competent defensive coaches first.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Imagine typing something like this and then thinking you should put it in italics, for emphasis 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2