Nate Shepherd and Foley Fat

TNJet

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Imagine typing something like this and then thinking you should put it in italics, for emphasis 

It wasn't put in italics by design, azzwipe.  Not everyone has an agenda or schemes out their responses with a predetermined slant.  The italics icon was highlighted by mistake and I didn't change it.  Thanks for noticing.  Now back to the troll, you have much work to do.

Imagine not trying to be the center of conversation and focus of discourse in every single thread.  No, I guess you can't.  The world doesn't revolve around "all things TOm Shane", contrary to your personal beliefs.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, MindOverMatter said:

It's like walking through the appliance section at a store needing a washing machine and buying a fridge because it's on sale and the value is too good to pass up. Like yeah you got a cool fridge, but you still need a washing machine...

Nothing wrong with having 6 fridges and no toilet. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

2 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Too early to tell.. However unlike the previous "regime", I'm sure they'll both get a shot to show that they can contribute at any level.  We'll then at least have an idea of what they can do. 

I remember being angry last year, when, during that shi#tshow of a season, Toilet and Co. refused to let Fatukaski get even a smell of the field, even though the season was lost, and the interior run defense and pass rush was pitiful. 

Shepard actually regressed during the course of the season, looking better during the preseason.  Poor coaching, player development and defensive schemes may have a lot to do with that.  We'll see.

Great post, totally agree. Can't understand all of the pessimism on this board. Day after day of gloom and doom. The roster right now is better than anything we've had in many years, including that BS 2015 bogus 10-6 unwatchable crap season and the subsequent 3 seasons of boring, talentless, uninspired, poorly coached crap we were forced to digest. We will see the difference in coaching philosophy immediately I believe. The days of playing scared and not to lose are (hopefully) gone. This offseason they (finally) added some serious football players with serious talent. Bell, Crowder, Osemelie, MOSELY, Quinnan, hopefully Polite who I absolutely love BTW and can't wait to see him terrorize Qb's from day 1. 

Ever notice sometimes how 1 player can change the entire look and performance of an offense or a defense? We saw this with Sam last year a little, I thought he brought everyone else's level up a bit when he played well.

Everyone needs to take a step back, look at the upgrade in overall talent. Everyone needs to take a step back and look at the upgrade in COACHING as well and for god's sakes, stop whining pessimism. Our future is looking great.

• Post of the Week 2

1 hour ago, TNJet said:

MM says that phrase in every interview. Watch one and you'll hear it. ?

All I here is "obviously"  and " from this persepective"   It's every sentence. lol 

I'll keep my ears open for moving forward and I'll thank you for bringing it to my attention for another light touch of aggravation. ? 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

All I here is "obviously"  and " from this persepective"   It's every sentence. lol 

I'll keep my ears open for moving forward and I'll thank you for bringing it to my attention for another light touch of aggravation. ? 

“We feel really good about”. Says this line more than anything. 

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

Great post, totally agree. Can't understand all of the pessimism on this board. Day after day of gloom and doom. The roster right now is better than anything we've had in many years, including that BS 2015 bogus 10-6 unwatchable crap season and the subsequent 3 seasons of boring, talentless, uninspired, poorly coached crap we were forced to digest. We will see the difference in coaching philosophy immediately I believe. The days of playing scared and not to lose are (hopefully) gone. This offseason they (finally) added some serious football players with serious talent. Bell, Crowder, Osemelie, MOSELY, Quinnan, hopefully Polite who I absolutely love BTW and can't wait to see him terrorize Qb's from day 1. 

Ever notice sometimes how 1 player can change the entire look and performance of an offense or a defense? We saw this with Sam last year a little, I thought he brought everyone else's level up a bit when he played well.

Everyone needs to take a step back, look at the upgrade in overall talent. Everyone needs to take a step back and look at the upgrade in COACHING as well and for god's sakes, stop whining pessimism. Our future is looking great.

I guess it's easier to be a skeptic and contrarian, but it must be a miserable way to live.  Love the team dynamic they're building on both sides of the ball, it's going to be a fun thing to watch.  Surprised that the rebuild is farther along that I anticipated in just one off-season.

Too bad we didn't have a few more draft picks, it would have been nice.  Price we had to pay for Sam, well worth it.  Really excited about the type of defense we are going to have.  Aggressive, attacking, dynamic.  No more "slow deaths" and surrender.

On the offensive side of the ball, I expect an up tempo, diverse, quick hitting balanced offense.  Wide open, but controlled.  No more three and outs for a full half of football.  Thank G-d.  The offensive line, with Osmele, and Wesco won't be pushed around any more in short yardage situations.  Crowder is going to give us what Santonio Holmes should have, with more consistent contributions.  Bell, healthy Enunwa, Herndon, Anderson, plenty of firepower.

I've got a feeling a lot of mouths are going to be shut this year.

As for Quinnen Williams, he's the player I wanted most in the draft.  Plenty of people around here destroyed anyone who supported his selection.  Don't understand it.  Too obvious?  Not the flavor of the day?  Blind Obstinance?  Can't figure it out.

Love the pick of Polite too.  Saved 12million dollars on an edge rusher that we got with a third round pick.  Big pickup.  Also like the linebacking corps in general.  Hewitt, Luvu, Jordan, are all going to reek havoc on offenses.  Moseley is the best inside linebacker in the league, [excepting maybe Keuchly] and they criticize it here.  Unbelievable.  Avery Williamson as a backup?  Embarrassment of riches. 

Jamaal Adams is going to continue to get better, and a healthy Marcus Maye is a big addition.  What a hitter.  Little bit concerned with the secondary.  Trumaine Johnson must rebound, and some of the young kids need to step up.  Poole is a nice addition.  Nasty.  I like that.

Not a finished body of work, but the roster is shaping up nicely.  Like you said, a lot to be excited about. Regards, my friend. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

You don't know that . Todd country club Bowles is gone , you have no idea how GW will teach/utilize/motivate the players he has on the roster. 

No but I know we just used a # 3 overall pick on a DT with Leo, McLendon, Shepherd and Fatukaski all on the roster.

A lot of you like to assume the HC has a major say in who we draft. Why didn’t Gregg Williams tell Macc we’re set on the DL and trade down for whatever he can get?

People said the same exact thing last year. 

Yep. It’s not us who are pessimists. We’re realists. 24-40 under this GM caused that.

I’d love to be optimistic about this team, but unfortunately it’s a rudderless ship until the GM is fired. Give fans a reason to believe and they’ll believe.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

4 reasons why they won’t: Quinnen Williams, Leonard Williams, Henry Anderson, Steve McLendon. Plus there’s UDFA’s and the remainder of the offseason for the DL depth chart to crystallize.

Barring injury there’s no reason to expect Shepherd or Fatukaski to get significant snaps. And we burned a 3rd rounder on the former....yikes.

I disagree- a bit. McLendon is pretty much a goner next year. He is a FA next year and I don;t see the Jets bringing him back with the youth they have now on the D-line. The only interior D-lineman they draft was QW. The UDFAs on the D-line look more to me to be camp bodies. I looked into them a little bit and was not that impressed. Maybe I'm wrong, but Shepherd and Fatukasi have the edge as the primary backups to Leo, QW, McLendon, and Anderson- depending on the formation. Obviously, we will see what happend with injuries, but I think Shepherd in particular the Jets are still very much high on and he will get some early opportunities with the new coaching staff.   

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, PepPep said:

I disagree- a bit. McLendon is pretty much a goner next year. He is a FA next year and I don;t see the Jets bringing him back with the youth they have now on the D-line. The only interior D-lineman they draft was QW. The UDFAs on the D-line look more to me to be camp bodies. I looked into them a little bit and was not that impressed. Maybe I'm wrong, but Shepherd and Fatukasi have the edge as the primary backups to Leo, QW, McLendon, and Anderson- depending on the formation. Obviously, we will see what happend with injuries, but I think Shepherd in particular the Jets are still very much high on and he will get some early opportunities with the new coaching staff.    

Who plays NT this year if its not McLendon?  Are we seriously going to put Quinnen Williams there?

13 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Hewitt, Luvu, Jordan, are all going to reek havoc on offenses.

Take a closer look at the UDFA LBs/Edge rushers they signed. These guys will give Luvu, Hewitt, Wint, Copeland a run for their money. These guys play hard and have a nose for the ball, very productive in college and have a knack for getting after the QB. Frazier, Allison, Phillips, Reed, etc.   

13 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Jamaal Adams is going to continue to get better, and a healthy Marcus Maye is a big addition.  What a hitter. 

The two UDFAs Ramirez and Battle are like Jamal Adams clones (exaggeration intended). Big hitting safeties that have play-making ability and play like their hair is on fire, with attitude. They may supplant Middleton and Miles as the backups. Loved the tape I watched on both of these guys. 

• Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Who plays NT this year if its not McLendon?  Are we seriously going to put Quinnen Williams there?

Yes. He played plenty of NT in Bama and Gregg Williams prefers interior linemen who are more athletic and can get to the QB. Now, obviously if its a clear running play they may go with McLendon but QW can play all over the line and that includes NT. In general, these players will rotate. Leo, Anderson, McLendon, QW, Shepherd, etc. I don't get why its so difficult to comprehend. Defenses do this in the NFL all the time. 

• Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Yes. He played plenty of NT in Bama and Gregg Williams prefers interior linemen who are more athletic and can get to the QB. Now, obviously if its a clear running play they may go with McLendon but QW can play all over the line and that includes NT. In general, these players will rotate. Leo, Anderson, McLendon, QW, Shepherd, etc. I don't get why its so difficult to comprehend. Defenses do this in the NFL all the time. 

This is exactly why I was so confused about all of the consternation and hand wringing over the Quinnen Williams pick.  Those who don't see this either didn't do their due diligence on the player, or had another agenda.  "Just another run stuffing DT".  So far from the truth.

His versatility and talent is going to make him a force all over the interior defense. Greg Williams probably can't wipe the smile off of his face.  I know I can't.  Didn't really want McClendon back.  Play is slipping, thought it was time to move on.  You're right he'll be gone after this season. 

The strength of the Inside Linebacking corps, Moseley and Williamson, is also going to give the defense more flexibility with the defensive lineman.  We have never had this kind of diversity of talents amongst the Defensive Linemen and Linebackers, at the same time on a defense before.  I know I'm gushing, but I love the way this defense is being constructed.  Dangerous group. 

I am going to check out the UDFA linebackers and safeties you mentioned.  Hope you're right.  I always like better.  Who wouldn't, except a few here on this board.  Glad to here about the safeties.  Miles was exposed last year.  Very good special teamer.  Backup safety, not so much.  Saw a little tape on Battle.  His speed is a concern.  We'll see.  Regards.  Good posts, as always.

31 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I get how rotations works.  I just think its an enormous waste of resources to put Quinnen Williams at NT at all.  You don't draft NT's at # 3 overall, you draft pass rushing 3-4 DE's at # 3 overall.  Even if its just for this year, I don't want QW playing NT. 

Trade Leonard Williams for whatever we can get, and start McLendon at NT with QW and Henry Anderson at 3-4 DE, with Fatukaski, Shepherd, etc. as rotational pieces. 

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I get how rotations works.  I just think its an enormous waste of resources to put Quinnen Williams at NT at all.  You don't draft NT's at # 3 overall, you draft pass rushing 3-4 DE's at # 3 overall.  Even if its just for this year, I don't want QW playing NT. 

Trade Leonard Williams for whatever we can get, and start McLendon at NT with QW and Henry Anderson at 3-4 DE, with Fatukaski, Shepherd, etc. as rotational pieces. 

They did draft him third overall so I sure hope it wasn't with the intention of not at least taking a shot on him being as good as he's supposed to be.

Trading LWilliams to get McLendon on the field would be a waste of talent and snaps. I would think that they only saw McLendon as a contingency in the first place since they could have given the same money to Pennel for two years. It would be great if Fatukasi and Shepherd are useful as rotational pieces but the chances of either of them doing much seem pretty remote.

Something like Seattle was doing when they won the super bowl seems to fit. That was basically 4-3 with 3-4 personnel. LWilliams 5T or over the TE, Anderson 3T, QWilliams 1T. Then we only need to come up with one edge guy to play DE/OLB opposite LWilliams, ideally Polite but whoever it is will have the advantages of lining up wide and having QWilliams next to him. 5T/1T mostly cover two gaps but not always. Mebane played seasons at both 3T and 1T for them and they would switch it a lot when he was in there at either spot. It would be interesting to see QWilliams there considering that his skill set is basically the job description, and he and LWilliams (god this name game sh*t is already excruciating) don't have to get pulled on passing downs. Mosley MLB, Lee WLB. Probably have an extra safety in there a lot to avoid having Williamson in coverage.

I don't know if that specifically is any good, but you get the point. The lineup is hastily assembled and strange looking but it's isn't like it's just unworkable or even inconvenient to that point that it's not even worth taking the season before making a decision on LW.

23 hours ago, Mac is a Tool said:

Nathan sheperd better turn into something worth while. He had a whole season of nfl coaching. I dont recall how old he is but heres hoping he isnt a bust

He’s taken “the road less traveled “ to the NFL. Hoping there is a burning desire to improve. If he hasn’t developed over the off season he might not make the roster out of camp. Every year new crop comes in looking to take your job!

22 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No but I know we just used a # 3 overall pick on a DT with Leo, McLendon, Shepherd and Fatukaski all on the roster.

A lot of you like to assume the HC has a major say in who we draft. Why didn’t Gregg Williams tell Macc we’re set on the DL and trade down for whatever he can get?

Because we weren't.

I can't wait to see Foley fat Nathan Shepherd under Gregg Williams defense it's going to be awesome stay tuned for the chilling episode jet fans.. s*** to getting deep in jet land.. Jets should start Williams at defensive end Williams at defensive end Shepherd at nose tackle and rotate in Anderson and FATS!!!

• Upvote 1