Jets Draft Earns High Marks; What Does it Mean?

JetNation

helmet.jpg

The New York Jets wrapped up the three-day long NFL draft after coming away with arguably the top player in the class, then adding one of the top pass rushers of 2018 in Florida’s Jachai Polite.  Offensive lineman Chuma Edoga projects as a possible starting left tackle and you can already feel the beginning of a cult following for battering ram tight end/fullback/H-back Trevon Wesco.

The class was rounded out with a coverage linebacker/special teams player in linebacker Blake Cashman while the oft-injured but highly talented Blessuan Austin was the team’s final pick in round six.

Gang Green’s approach was questioned by plenty of onlookers as the addition of a center and cornerback was expected but such a move never materialized.  The team is still racking up some high praise from draft pundits who seem to like many of the choices for a variety of reasons. 

Now, what does that praise mean in the grand scheme of things?  Nothing.  Not one thing can be taken from the high draft grades because while it’s fun to sit back and speculate as to who will do what, we know from experience that those grades are often nowhere close to what transpires on the field.  With that being said, let’s take a look at the early impressions the Jets draft class has had on a wide variety of evaluators.

NFL.com liked what the Jets did and graded them as an A-minus.  Weighting in on Jachai Polite, saying his tape “shows the power and bend to terrorize NFL quarterbacks”.

ESPN Mel Kiper saw this class as a B, but then hilariously dinged the Jets for a lack of picks due to their trade up for Sam Darnold last season.  Yes, just imagine, Mel.  If the Jets hadn’t traded up for Darnold, they could have stolen Daniel Jones in this year’s draft.

CBS Sports graded the Jets picks as a B-, with possibly the most impressive comment being that it was “hard to find” a weakness in the class.  In the end, the “weakness” they chose to go with was Jachai Polite’s off-field issues.

SNY says the grade comes down due to there being no “safe” picks outside of Quinnen Williams.  The result? A slightly above average C+.

PFFOpting for one reason or another to forego a letter grading system, the folks at Pro Football Focus handed the Jets a grade of “above average”.  PFF loved the selection of Blake Cashman, saying “But it’s the Blake Cashman pick at No. 157 for the Jets that takes the cake as the team’s best selection on Saturday.  Cashman earned a 90.0-plus overall grade this past season and tested out as one of the most athletic linebackers in the class at the combine en route to the No. 59 overall spot on PFF’s big board.”

North Jersey.com gives the Jets a B-, but criticised them for waiting as long as they did to address the cornerback position, but acknowledging that Blessuan Austin could become a starting cornerback should he return to his previous form.

So yes, fans and pundits will talk about and weigh in on who was taken where, but remember, until the pads go on and the results start coming in, the grades don’t amount to much of anything more than banter and speculation among the die-hards.

The post Jets Draft Earns High Marks; What Does it Mean? appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
oZ1kQJ58h64

Click here to read the full story...

It means nothing. Give it three years see how the players develop. No "expert" can predict how someone's attitudes will change when they go from having no money to having more than the average person will make in a lifetime over night. They also can't predict how guys will adjust from college where alot of these guys were great players facing lesser competition to the NFL where they will need to work to be good

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

3 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

It means the trolls, crybabies, and opposing team fans that infested JetNation during the draft  and crapped in every thread will be very disappointed

Wah we didn’t trade down to get Jonah wah!

Meanwhile I’m hearing Jonah is going to move to Center lolz

I find it encouraging that some folks find some things to like about some of our draft picks that I initially saw as dumb picks.   It is what is it at this point.  Besides that, we did pick up plenty of OL in the UDFA portion :)    

I watched the ESPN show Sunday night when they graded the draft. The question was posed..."now that Darnold, Rosen and Allen are all in the AFC east, who will be the best QB 5 years from now when Brady is finally done?"  McShay said " easy, Darnold, not even close." Kiper said Allen, and the two of them went on for about 2-3 minutes debating. Never even bought up Rosen.

8 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

I find it encouraging that some folks find some things to like about some of our draft picks that I initially saw as dumb picks.   It is what is it at this point.  Besides that, we did pick up plenty of OL in the UDFA portion :)    

I also like the fact that we didn't kick the can further down the road by trading away any future picks.

13 minutes ago, section314 said:

I also like the fact that we didn't kick the can further down the road by trading away any future picks.

They haven't as of yet, but I could see Macc using a 2020 pick to trade for a player before the season starts.

I would like to offer my draft #grades here. Pick by pick thanks 

1.3 Quinnen Williams: B+

Is Williams a very good prospect? Hell yeah. Will he be a very good, high-end player for the Jets for five years? Hell yeah. Will he be Aaron Donald and JJ Watt? Oh hell no. In a vacuum, this pick is an A because he’s a good player who will do things that actively help to win games in the NFL in 2019. We’ll even give Maccagnan the benefit of the doubt and say that no realistic opportunity to trade down existed, which is dubious because you can’t simultaneously maintain that Williams is “the best player in the draft” and that nobody else wanted him. That said, you have to factor in the present state of the roster under Maccagnan and ask yourself how Williams fits into the overall scheme and it’s a misfit in a bunch of different ways.

3a. Jachai Polite: B-/F

Next to Sam Darnold, Polite might be the most important draft pick of Mike Maccagnan’s career. If Polite is good, the defense has a chance to be incredible, which will propel the whole team into contention. But if Polite washes out, it will continue a trend of bad picks for Macc in the middle rounds that likely relegates him to being a lowly area scout for the rest of his life. Polite has a million red flags relating to his athleticism and willingness to work, but his stupid highlight reels show a player the Jets haven’t had on their roster since John Abraham’s rookie year. There’s an 8% chance Polite 1. Gets it together and 2. Is 95% more athletic than he showed in postseason workouts, but given Macc’s track record, you’ll take 8%.

3b. Chuma Edoga: C

Edoga moves well, he’s played well, and he dropped all the way to the bottom of the third based on being a lazy meathead. This is another player the Jets desperately need to work out because their entire offensive line is set to hit free agency in the next two years. Offensive linemen can be lazy and still have good careers, but there’s a lot of pressure to get this pick right because Edoga is the lone representative for the future of the Jets OL.

4. Trevon Wesco A

Let’s just be real and admit that nobody on this website knew who Wesco was prior to being drafted and Brian Baldinger said some wild sh*t about him being Baby Gronk. However, Wesco seems like a tough, relatively talented complementary piece to an offense that needs some reliable players. 

5. Blake Cashman B/D

Cashman was a walk-on at Minnesota who played well and isn’t a stiff, so the real question is when Darron Lee can be traded to make room for him. The shoulder issues are concerning because those never seem to go away with LBs. 

6. Blessuan Austin: FOH

No knees left, but hey Rutgers! 

GrADe: A+ if Polite can play; D- in the likely event he sucks.

1 hour ago, Sarge4Tide said:

It means the trolls, crybabies, and opposing team fans that infested JetNation during the draft  and crapped in every thread will be very disappointed

Despite picking early in each round for the majority of his picks, Macc has been operating on about a 25 % hit rate (and that's being generous) since he arrived here.  The odds are strongly against this one being much different. 

But hey, keep thinking we're rooting for Macc to fail and would be "disappointed" with a great draft class. 

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Macc has been operating on about a 25 % hit rate (and that's being generous) since he arrived here.  The odds are strongly against this one being much different. 

But hey, keep thinking we're rooting for Macc to fail and would be "disappointed" with a great draft class. 

It’s starting to sound like Gase was making the picks 

Draft Grades immediately after the draft mean absolutely nothing.  

Only the play of the players on the field, and the improvement of the team as a whole, matters.

We'll actually know how good or bad this draft is in about two years time.  

Everything else "grade" wise is just hot air tbqh, people justifying their own pre-draft biases and opinions, nothing more or less.

First 3 picks are all A+ for value and I see as long term starters for this team.

Round 4, while I don’t hate the Wesco pick or know much about him, I can’t see the need to trade down twice while there were good corner, ol and wide out picks waiting there. Could have easily taken Julian Love or Michael Jordan if we had stayed pat. 

So we trade down to add a 5th. And use it on a player that rates high on PFF. Okay, but he’s had multiple surgeries on both shoulders already. Then we take a swing in the 6th on another player who was injured all through college.

If we stayed where we were in the 4th or only traded down once I think we would have had 4 starters come out of this draft instead of 3. The additional 5th we got and the 6th we had were used on players I doubt will ever stay healthy enough to even make the team. That part bothers me the most. We could have another starter or at least a good depth piece. But we through it away for 23 year old rookies who will spend their careers on the PUP.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

3a. Jachai Polite: B-/F

Next to Sam Darnold, Polite might be the most important draft pick of Mike Maccagnan’s career. If Polite is good, the defense has a chance to be incredible, which will propel the whole team into contention. But if Polite washes out, it will continue a trend of bad picks for Macc in the middle rounds that likely relegates him to being a lowly area scout for the rest of his life. Polite has a million red flags relating to his athleticism and willingness to work, but his stupid highlight reels show a player the Jets haven’t had on their roster since John Abraham’s rookie year. There’s an 8% chance Polite 1. Gets it together and 2. Is 95% more athletic than he showed in postseason workouts, but given Macc’s track record, you’ll take 8%.

5. Blake Cashman B/D

Cashman was a walk-on at Minnesota who played well and isn’t a stiff, so the real question is when Darron Lee can be traded to make room for him. The shoulder issues are concerning because those never seem to go away with LBs. 

GrADe: A+ if Polite can play; D- in the likely event he sucks.

On Polite: we constantly criticize GMs for drafting workout warriors when the tape shows a lack of production.  Here, it's just the opposite, his tape is amazing and his workouts suck.  I'm taking the positive spin on things that this kid got some horrible advice to gain weight, caused him to get a hammy injury and everything just snowballed downhill from there.  If he is the guy on tape rather than the the guy at the combine, he could produce 10+ sacks in this defense, especially with Williams2 garnering attention in the middle.

On Cashman:  Cashman is the kind of pick that if the Patriots had drafted him, all of these talking heads would be gushing about how it was the steal of the draft.  I think he can surprise as well.

But in general, I agree, this is the biggest boom or bust draft I've seen from Macc.

Well, I've watched as much of these guys as I can on You Tube, and a few of them on live TV, so I might as well give my opinion.   How I did this was not only watch their high light videos, but went into You Tube and typed in (school name) vs ?.  What you'll get is a lot of full games of the teams they played for.  The big schools will have a lot, as in Alabama's case, the small schools, not so much.  (Fortunately most of the Jets picks were from bigger schools, and there was a lot of games)   then fast forward to their side of the ball, and try to pick them out. You can also try typing in players name, vs.  If the player has a large following, you'll get quite a few games focusing on him. It certainly isn't scouting type film, but you can get a pretty good feel what the player is doing.

Quinnen Williams:  Tons of stuff on Williams and Bama.   Guy is Super consistent, and brings his A game every week.  Dominating.  gave him an A, talent wise he is an A+.  Reason it was an A for me is, it's not a real need position for the Jets.

Jachai Polite: IMO this is the guy Macc's future is going to be tied to.  This is the boom or bust guy at a dramatic need position.  Polite is an enigma.  When you watch his game tape all you see is a relentless, very fast guy, gives you 100% every play. Plays side line to side line, one of the best first steps I've seen in quite some time.  Strictly based on the game tape Polite IMO is hands down the best ER in this draft.  And should have been an early 1st off his game tape.

Polite came to the combine totally unprepared.  Came in 15 lbs overweight, put up some of the worst #'s in memory, then went out and interviewed poorly.  Yikes

Paraphrasing a young man who knows him very well, " He's a nice guy, who is a monster on the field.  First step is unblockable one on one, gives you 100% on the field.  When he's not on the field he wants to have fun, not work"

Polite originally said, he tried to bulk up a bit, and pulled a hammie.  I'm not sure I'm buying that.  He's since owned his screw up at the combine.  IMO when the season ended, he kicked back, and thought his game tape was going to make him a millionaire.

He's now back to his game weight (area of 240)

High risk, High reward.  I'm going to go with the idea that he is a good kid who now realizes he cost himself millions, and is going to show up for camp ripped, and play at the same level he played for the Gators.  If that happens Polite will be the steal of the draft, I'm hoping it will  A

Chuma Edoga:  I'm not so sold on this pick even though I suspect Sam had a lot to do with it.

Guys game tape is really inconsistent.  One week he looks great, next week he looks like he's in a fog. He's had a failed drug test a few years ago, (don't know what for) Seen draft reports that he has a bad attitude.  I'd give the guy a C, but because IMO Sam is behind him, B

Trevon Wesco:  IMO this might be the second big steal of the draft.  We've all seen the video's of this guy.  Not a guy you to want to get hit by.  Just as a blocking TE he is worth a forth rounder.  Only caught 1 ball in 2017.  Some where after the mid point of the 2018 season the CS realized Wesco had great hands, and started throwing him the ball between his KO's of LB's and S's.  Guy is really impressive.  Tremendous hands, and for a big TE (273, think he's the biggest in this class) he is really agile and smooth.  Head coach at WVU said he was the best player on the team.  That's a team that was loaded with offensive talent.   Get your jersey's early on Wesco, he's going to be a fan favorite soon A+

Cashman:  Hey, another tiny LB'er LOL  This one is a hard player with a lot of speed.  Not much tape to see.  Will be an excellent ST'er, perhaps get reps with the nickel.  Major draw back is 3 shoulder surgeries.  Big risk, but it's a late rounder C

Austin:  May, or may not ever take a snap in the NFL.  Back to back blown knees.  Ouch.

When he was healthy, 2 years ago, looked like a 2nd round pick.  Wish the kid well, but I've got to give the pick a D

For what it's worth, that's my opinion.  Think the Jets had a very good draft.

43 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

I'm taking the positive spin on things that this kid got some horrible advice to gain weight, caused him to get a hammy injury and everything just snowballed downhill from there.

I just can’t buy that this guy took some “advice” to get fat before the Combine. It’d be like someone giving you “advice” to show up to a job interview sh*tfaced and naked. 

1 - Quinnen Williams - A good player but a total luxury pick for a team that has leo williams and resigned Henry Anderson for pretty big dollars.  How do they get all of these guys on the field enough at one time to justify the investment?  Same issue as they have had in the past.  Willaims has to be a massive difference make and early and when I say difference maker I mean a lot of sacks, forced turnovers etc.

2 - Polite - I can see why they drafted him as it seems his tape suggests a much higher level of play than a 3rd round player.  The weight and work out metrics are troubling.  At least they drafted a guy here that if he works out seems to have a pretty high upside.

3 - Edoga - A shocking oline choice.  Once again some good and some bad comments about this player but drafting a potential future starting tackle in the 3rd is a good thing.

4 - Wesco - I hate this pick originally but people have convinced me he may be a good useful player.  I'm just not sure what % of snaps he will be on the field though.  He has to catch the ball when it gets thrown to him and not commit penalties, the hall marks of the lousy TE/HBs we have had for years.

5 - Cashman - I actually like this pick other than the shoulders held together with duct tape but with many Mac picks it just illustrates a previous horrible pick (Darron Lee).  This guy sounds like a tougher nosed version of a guy we used a 1st rounder on.

6 - Austin - Awful awful pick.  Bad injury history, the player himself does not seem startling and mac has used many later rounders on cbs.  Roll the dice with a Wr or an olineman rather than yet another late round CB. 

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

6. Blessuan Austin: FOH

No knees left, but hey Rutgers! 

This is totally wrong.  He has one knee!  He just had consecutive season ending ACL surgeries on the same knee.  I'm pretty sure his other knee is fine.  FWIW, I read a piece about how he could be a "late round steal" for the Giants because they have an in at the Hospital for Special Surgery that did the kid's ACL.  Presumably, the Jets also have connections there. 

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

This is totally wrong.  He has one knee!  He just had consecutive season ending ACL surgeries on the same knee.  I'm pretty sure his other knee is fine.  FWIW, I read a piece about how he could be a "late round steal" for the Giants because they have an in at the Hospital for Special Surgery that did the kid's ACL.  Presumably, the Jets also have connections there. 

This pick was bad judgment.   Harmon was the pick there.  Austin could have been a UDFA or a 7th round pick, if we did not trade our 7th round pick to move up ONE SPOT for Edoga.  

4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Wah we didn’t trade down to get Jonah wah!

Meanwhile I’m hearing Jonah is going to move to Center lolz

I’d like to track Jonah Williams career.  I initially wanted a trade down and then make him the 1st Rd pick, because I’m first and foremost about wanting the Jets to surround Darnold with everything he needs to make him a superstar as quickly as possible, JJ Watt already knows that’s going to happen, he told him right after the game, then I heard a few days before the draft that his “explosiveness” grade and his “flexibility” grade were really lacking for a lineman that was supposed to go in the 1st Rd, if true it really means the Jets hands were tied with the talent so skewed to Defense this year and any offers to trade down were probably just teams trying to heist Pick 3.

if it’s true that Josh Allen has only that 1 speed move to his game, that would have been a very dangerous pick to make with Q. Williams being the much safer route to go...and they did.

I won’t say I’m ecstatic about this draft, although I will be if QW becomes Reggie White (someone said that was a possibility), but I won’t ding the Jets for how it went down, there were limitations to what they could do.

3 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

First 3 picks are all A+ for value and I see as long term starters for this team.

Round 4, while I don’t hate the Wesco pick or know much about him, I can’t see the need to trade down twice while there were good corner, ol and wide out picks waiting there. Could have easily taken Julian Love or Michael Jordan if we had stayed pat. 

So we trade down to add a 5th. And use it on a player that rates high on PFF. Okay, but he’s had multiple surgeries on both shoulders already. Then we take a swing in the 6th on another player who was injured all through college.

If we stayed where we were in the 4th or only traded down once I think we would have had 4 starters come out of this draft instead of 3. The additional 5th we got and the 6th we had were used on players I doubt will ever stay healthy enough to even make the team. That part bothers me the most. We could have another starter or at least a good depth piece. But we through it away for 23 year old rookies who will spend their careers on the PUP.

I really hate the way Maccagnan drafts in the later rounds and it has been consistent for everyone of his drafts, he drafts older players almost exclusively who have virtually no upside at this point.

Granted those picks have a very low probability of success anyway, but why draft guys who really don’t have a chance to play at the highest level at all from the moment you draft them? They’re already as good as they are ever going to get.

Archived