Options At Center

I do think we will be going into 2019 training camp and someone else other than Jonotthan Harrison will be  starting or at least competing for the starting Center position. 

I don't see what some people say was a "good 8 starts at center last year" 

He finished with a PFF grade of 54.1 in the 8 games as starter which is below average. To compare, that is only 9 points over Spencer Long's below average grade of 45.4. The rest of the line had average grades in 2018 which is hopeful. 

• Kevin Beachum 65.9 above average
  • Brian Winters 62.6 average
  • Brandon Shell 62.7 average 

Out of the 8 games started he was flagged for offensive holding 4 times. Back to back games with a holding penalty in 11-25 and 12-02. We won 7 out of 8 games while he was starting. All other 3 wins cam with Spencer Long ?

I would like to bring in Stefen Wisniewski and Donald Penn to compete for starting jobs next year via free agency. 

Potential trade as well for a veteran with 1 year left on there contract. 

1. Rodney Hudson OAK
  2. Joe Staley 9ers
  3. Bryan Bulaga Packers
  4. Marcus Gilbert Cards

Interesting to hear peoples opinion on what scenario or player they would like to bring in for center this year.  

3 minutes ago, Rsherman28 said:

I do think we will be going into 2019 training camp and someone else other than Jonotthan Harrison will be  starting or at least competing for the starting Center position. 

He finished with a PFF grade of 54.1 in the 8 games as starter which is below average. To compare, that is only 9 points over Spencer Long's below average grade of 45.4. The rest of the line had average grades in 2018 which is hopeful. 

Out of the 8 games started he was flagged for offensive holding 4 times. Back to back games with a holding penalty in 11-25 and 12-02. We won 7 out of 8 games while he was starting. All other 3 wins cam with Spencer Long ?

I would like to bring in Stefen Wisniewski and Donald Penn to compete for starting jobs next year via free agency. 

1. Rodney Hudson OAK
  2. Joe Staley 9ers
  3. Bryan Bulaga Packers
  4. Marcus Gilbert Cards

Interesting to hear peoples opinion on what scenario or player they would like to bring in for center this year.  

A lot of miles and injuries on the players you listed.

No Thanks! We can get by this year and address in FA or 2020 draft.

Wizniewski would be the only one I would bring in .

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, freestater said:

I dont think Macc sees a problem at center. He's perfectly satisfied playing moneyball with Sam's protection 

Remember when Bradway thought that he did not need Pete Kendall and that Adrian Clarke could do the job?

Mac is betting his job on this decision.  Very stupid.   I would have taken Michael Jordan or Gaillard. 

Paradis did not want to come here.  They did not like Morse.  Without a second we were not getting Jenkins or McCoy.  Polite is a much better risk than McGovern who can’t pass block.  I will give you all that.  But I think a potential Center was worth it more than some of the other picks.  At least he could say he tried.  

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, static14 said:

Maybe Toth is ready to step up? 

This and they also signed the USC center as an UDFA. They also have a decent amount of cap room left and could bring in someone like Wisnewski.

Some centers may now be available post draft for trade or post June 1 cut

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

This and they also signed the USC center as an UDFA. They also have a decent amount of cap room left and could bring in someone like Wisnewski.

This^^^.  We have no idea if Sam told those guys that Lobendahn can be the guy at some point.  Id be all for signing Wisnewski and getting Lobendahn some time if he pans out.

17 minutes ago, varjet said:

Remember when Bradway thought that he did not need Pete Kendall and that Adrian Clarke could do the job?

Mac is betting his job on this decision.  Very stupid.   I would have taken Michael Jordan or Gaillard. 

Paradis did not want to come here.  They did not like Morse.  Without a second we were not getting Jenkins or McCoy.  Polite is a much better risk than McGovern who can’t pass block.  I will give you all that.  But I think a potential Center was worth it more than some of the other picks.  At least he could say he tried.  

Tanenbaum got rid of Kendall because he didn’t get along with Mangini

Harrison was ok at Center last year.  Let’s see if he develops

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, Rsherman28 said:

1. Rodney Hudson OAK
  2. Joe Staley 9ers
  3. Bryan Bulaga Packers
  4. Marcus Gilbert Cards

Brick is younger than Donald Penn. 

3 minutes ago, Lith said:

Agreed.  Bring in a vet like Wisniewski or Sullivan and let these guys compete: Harrrison, Toth, Lobendahn, and vet.  If Harrison wins the competition, so be it.  Then he has earned the job.  If nobody steps up in camp, then Macc may have to pull a rabbit out of his hat on cut down day or swing a trade for a legit starter.  As long as Harrison has competition this summer, then I am okay with him starting if he does enough to win the job.

If they wait until next week then bring in a FA center then we know Mac is learning to manage the roster.

If we get a comp pick next year he goes up a full grade in my book. 

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, NYs Stepchild said:

If they wait until next week then bring in a FA center then we know Mac is learning to manage the roster.

If we get a comp pick next year he goes up a full grade in my book. 

How the **** do you expect them to get a comp pick next year?  For those huge contracts Terrance Brooks and Buster Skrine signed?  Do you mean for 2021?

• Upvote 1

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

How the **** do you expect them to get a comp pick next year?  For those huge contracts Terrance Brooks and Buster Skrine signed?  Do you mean for 2021?

I am talking about 2020. We are actually right on the cusp of the last comp pick. 

If we cut one FA before the season we should get one. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Harrison 

He's not a top-flight guy, but he was certainly better than Spencer Long last year.

Plus, he has significant starting experience with the Colts before he joined the Jets.

He's a guy you will always be looking to upgrade, but he's also a legit NFL Center with starting experience.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

54 minutes ago, Rsherman28 said:

1. Rodney Hudson OAK
  2. Joe Staley 9ers
  3. Bryan Bulaga Packers
  4. Marcus Gilbert Cards

1 PFF is not the end all and be all for evaluating players

2 Harrison was starting at the end of the year when we had several guys injured and the line was in chaos.  That isnt the best scenario for looking your best.  With a stable and improved line he should do better.

3 Harrison started at center for the Colts for nearly a season.  Maybe look at his grades in that scenario and see if they are any better?  

4 Its easy to say bring in this guy but if he costs 10 Million a yr over the guy youve got and isnt a slam dunk major upgrade then its probably not money well spent.  Clearly Mac and Gase dont want to fail and not having a viable starter on your team would be a big risk.  Maybe they decided to spend their money elsewhere?

33 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Tanenbaum got rid of Kendall because he didn’t get along with Mangini

Harrison was ok at Center last year.  Let’s see if he develops

This.... can we at least let Harrison get into camp and see how he handles the William brothers?? If he can hold his own against Q then there's a pretty good chance he can hold up against 90% of the league's NT.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

I am talking about 2020. We are actually right on the cusp of the last comp pick. 

The chart that I saw has us as 6 lost and 7 gained, with Mosley the unmatched one.  Wouldn't they have to overcome 2?  Maybe I am missing something, but who can they even cut?  Bellamy?  Compton? Catanzaro?  I think Mosley, Bell, Crowder and Siemien are all locks.  You are right, he is closer than I thought, but I can't see it happening.

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/

When the Pats cut Pennel, does he come off the chart?

13 minutes ago, section314 said:

One guy to watch might be Brandon Fusco, who was released by Falcons yesterday. Listed as a G, maybe has some C experience. Played for Vikings before Falcons.

Kyle Friend, an ex-Jets UDFA, was let go by the Browns just after the draft.

I liked him when he was here before, and he has been on the fringes of a number of NFL rosters (Steelers, Panthers, Cards) over the past few years.

Could be worth a look to see how far he has developed over the last couple of years.

• Upvote 3

Draft luxury players.

Play 'we can get by' with the health of the most important player on the team times 100.

At the very least they need to bring in  some vet as insurance.

I can't believe people are so casual about this position after what happened last year....and the year before.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

The chart that I saw has us as 6 lost and 7 gained, with Mosley the unmatched one.  Wouldn't they have to overcome 2?  Maybe I am missing something, but who can they even cut?  Bellamy?  Compton? Catanzaro?  I think Mosley, Bell, Crowder and Siemien are all locks.  You are right, he is closer than I thought, but I can't see it happening.

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/

When the Pats cut Pennel, does he come off the chart?

There is a good chance Catanzaro and/or Compton don't make the roster. 

30 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

He's not a top-flight guy, but he was certainly better than Spencer Long last year.

Plus, he has significant starting experience with the Colts before he joined the Jets.

He's a guy you will always be looking to upgrade, but he's also a legit NFL Center with starting experience.

I believe when we acquired him from the Colts it was because he was doing a pretty poor job and getting thrown around like a rag doll? I would still see if the Steelers would take one of next year's pics for BJ Finley.

38 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Everything you just said is false.  That's not how comp picks work. 

You don't get comp picks by cutting players.  And its not a matter of how many UFA's you sign or let go.  It's the quality of players signed and let go as UFA's.  Le'Veon and Mosley both count as 3rd round compensatory values.  The entirety of players that got signed away from us don't add up to one Le'Veon. 

There is a 0 % chance of us receiving a Comp pick in 2020.  Literally 0 %. 

I'm somewhat surprised Travis Swanson isnt someone that has been brought in.  Typically, you see a few players come in with a new coach that knows the system and can be an extension of him as they're implementing their playbook,  What better position to have come over with you than a Center?  Has Gase brought anyone in that knows his offense?  If we're using the magical PFF, he was graded out in the 60's.

Could be an option...

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

I'm somewhat surprised Travis Swanson isnt someone that has been brought in.  Typically, you see a few players come in with a new coach that knows the system and can be an extension of him as they're implementing their playbook,  What better position to have come over with you than a Center?  Has Gase brought anyone in that knows his offense?  If we're using the magical PFF, he was graded out in the 60's.

Could be an option... 

Maybe he was in the same boat as Ja'Wuan James and didn't like Gase's blocking schemes. 

Otherwise you're right, there's no reason he shouldn't be an option.  Was on the Jets roster for 5 months last year AND started under Gase for 11 games. 

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Maybe he was in the same boat as Ja'Wuan James and didn't like Gase's blocking schemes. 

Otherwise you're right, there's no reason he shouldn't be an option.  Was on the Jets roster for 5 months last year AND started under Gase for 11 games. 

Other than Peyton Manning, is there anyone anywhere that likes Adam Gase and anything that he does? 

• Haha 1