Sign in to follow this  
JetNation

With Draft in the Books, Which Remaining Free Agents can Help Jets?

IMG_5642.jpg

The NFL draft is a wrap and there won’t be much news between now and the start of training camp.  But this doesn’t mean there aren’t some veteran free agents waiting to sign with a club who can help the Jets if given the opportunity in the coming weeks and months.  Let’s take a look at who would make sense and why.

CB Mo Claiborne: The former Jet can probably be had on a team-friendly one-year deal while providing an experienced starter to compete with Darryl Roberts and Derrick Jones.

C Stefen Wisniewski: Wisniewski or fellow free agent John Sullivan should be brought in to compete with Jonotthan Harrison if the Jets don’t pursue a center via trade.  None of the three would be viewed as a long-term solution, but after two years of Wesley Johnson and a failed Spencer Long experiment, either of the options should offer an upgrade.

OLB Shane Ray: As a “plan A” to upgrade your pass rush, Ray would be a potential disaster.  Now with Jachai Polite in the fold along with the addition of Quinnen Williams and pressure up front from Jordan Jenkins and Henry Anderson (7 sacks each) up front, Ray would be worth an audition as a situational pass rusher.

OLB Nick Perry: Perry, a veteran of seven NFL seasons picked up 18 sacks over the course of the 2016-2017 NFL seasons before slumping in 2018.  A bit older than the aforementioned Shane Ray at 29-years-old, the former Packer could bring some punch off the edge.

DE Muhammad Wilkerson: This one may sound crazy on the surface, but if you dig down and look at the numbers on a potential Wilkerson return…No, we’re not serious, and shame on you for thinking we were.

The post With Draft in the Books, Which Remaining Free Agents can Help Jets? appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
bzKqiHXYSJw

Click here to read the full story...

5 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Ezekiel Ansah could be an option.

Is a risk and we would have to play 4-3 but if he is on the field he can rush the passer

52 minutes ago, JetNation said:

IMG_5642.jpg

The NFL draft is a wrap and there won’t be much news between now and the start of training camp.  But this doesn’t mean there aren’t some veteran free agents waiting to sign with a club who can help the Jets if given the opportunity in the coming weeks and months.  Let’s take a look at who would make sense and why.

CB Mo Claiborne: The former Jet can probably be had on a team-friendly one-year deal while providing an experienced starter to compete with Darryl Roberts and Derrick Jones.

C Stefen Wisniewski: Wisniewski or fellow free agent John Sullivan should be brought in to compete with Jonotthan Harrison if the Jets don’t pursue a center via trade.  None of the three would be viewed as a long-term solution, but after two years of Wesley Johnson and a failed Spencer Long experiment, either of the options should offer an upgrade.

OLB Shane Ray: As a “plan A” to upgrade your pass rush, Ray would be a potential disaster.  Now with Jachai Polite in the fold along with the addition of Quinnen Williams and pressure up front from Jordan Jenkins and Henry Anderson (7 sacks each) up front, Ray would be worth an audition as a situational pass rusher.

OLB Nick Perry: Perry, a veteran of seven NFL seasons picked up 18 sacks over the course of the 2016-2017 NFL seasons before slumping in 2018.  A bit older than the aforementioned Shane Ray at 29-years-old, the former Packer could bring some punch off the edge.

DE Muhammad Wilkerson: This one may sound crazy on the surface, but if you dig down and look at the numbers on a potential Wilkerson return…No, we’re not serious, and shame on you for thinking we were.

The post With Draft in the Books, Which Remaining Free Agents can Help Jets? appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

bzKqiHXYSJw

Click here to read the full story...

While Claiborne wouldn't be exciting at all, its a good idea

• Upvote 1

Morris Claiborne has definitely had his day. The team has 3-4 young corners that need to be evaluated. Throw their butts on the field. Sink or swim time. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Joe the Breadman said:

Morris Claiborne has definitely had his day. The team has 3-4 young corners that need to be evaluated. Throw their butts on the field. Sink or swim time, or Tom Brady feast time.

Claiborne, Wisniewski and Perry all make sense.

Perry may be made of porcelain, but he’s an effective passrusher when healthy. Would be a nice guy to add to the rotation.

Ray isn’t even an upgrade over Copeland.

Ezekiel Ansah could be an option.

He only makes sense in a 4-3. While I’d like to fully support that switch, we’d then have no place for Avery Williamson in the starting lineup.

We’d also need another DE or would have to try to convert Henry Anderson or Jordan Jenkins to play there probably.

1 hour ago, Rolloffjet said:

Why does ever thread need to be hijacked to make a joke. 

ECA36F09-C08A-4CDB-A749-F12362F3E8EE.jpeg

Unfortunately, I don't think the suggestion of Wilkerson was meant to be a joke.

I don’t even like the thought of Wilkerson and he was a decent Jet until he signed that contract. I don’t know why but just the thought of him sickens me. I don’t feel this way about any other ex Jets. Strange. 

4 hours ago, Nixhead said:

I don’t even like the thought of Wilkerson and he was a decent Jet until he signed that contract. I don’t know why but just the thought of him sickens me. I don’t feel this way about any other ex Jets. Strange. 

As far as I'm concerned Mo Wilkerson never played for the Jets. 

15 hours ago, Nixhead said:

I hate Sheldon and Skrine worse as ex Jets. Atleast Mo was good a few seasons.

<walks onto stage shimmying to Marimba beat>

<shimmies>

<shimmies>

<shimmies>

<shimmies>

<Pauses to speak:>

Shane Ray dropped 14.5 sacks as a junior in the SEC and put up a Combine that makes Jachai Polite look like a quadriplegic by comparison, and he’s a street free agent three years later.

<shimmies>

<shimmies>

<exits stage left>

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

<walks onto stage shimmying to Marimba beat>

<shimmies>

<shimmies>

<shimmies>

<shimmies>

<Pauses to speak:>

Shane Ray dropped 14.5 sacks as a junior in the SEC and put up a Combine that makes Jachai Polite look like a quadriplegic by comparison, and he’s a street free agent three years later.

<shimmies>

<shimmies>

<exits stage left>

Forget to take your sensitivity pills today?

On 4/30/2019 at 12:18 PM, Philc1 said:

Is a risk and we would have to play 4-3 but if he is on the field he can rush the passer

Since Ansah is a huge injury risk I would stay away but if they must sign him they could stay in a 3-4 and rotate him in on passing downs to try and keep him fresh and injury free. Keeping Ansah on the field has always been the problem. The guy does get sacks in bunches and maybe could stay healthy if used properly. I would probably stay away though.

• Upvote 1

On 4/30/2019 at 5:20 PM, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Only if we can sign him long term. 

Mo only considers it if gets a huge singing bonus that exceeds the amount of the contract.

• Haha 1