How Do The Jets Break .500 This Season?

slats

I'll start....

1. The coaching staff. Gase needs to be the guy Peyton Manning gushes over and not the dog that @FidelioJet and @bitontialternate taking craps on. He and Williams have to work together rather than kill each other. DCs like offenses that control the clock and I believe Gase wants to attack on offense, so we'll see where that goes. If these guys are still on speaking terms by mid-season, the Jets are probably having a good year. 

2. Sam Darnold. Of course, right? This guy is the key. If he makes a big second year jump, the sky is really the limit for this team. Adding guys like Bell and Crowder could easily help move his comp% number up by 5 or 10 points. If Wesco works his way into 25-33% of the offensive plays, it'll be because he can pass protect, run block, and make a key catch here and there. All things Sam and the offense need. 

3. Pass rush. Jets gave up nearly 1000 more passing yards and 11 more TD passes than they got last year. CB is still a major question mark on this team, so it's the pass rush that really has to step up. Williams & Williams need to push the pocket and get pressures, QB hits, and sacks. If Polite earns passing down snaps and looks more like his tape than the fears generated by his workouts, the Jets might have a defense that can get off the field on third down. 

On top of that, the Jets'll need some luck. Some good health on the OL and at WR and CB. These are already thin groups that can't afford an injury. This Dortch kid earning a roster spot and the returner job would be huge. They really have nothing else there. 

Recent history bodes well as new Jets' coaches tend to have good first years. Herm, Mangini, and Rex all went to the playoffs in their first year, and Bowles had his lone winning season in his first year. So there's that. 

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, slats said:

This Dortch kid earning a roster spot and the returner job would be huge. They really have nothing else there.  

Valentine Holmes could be a factor. he's a sick athlete and the job of fullback is basically kick returner

2 minutes ago, peebag said:

They have to be extremely lucky.

They're hoping the rookies\udfa's\other teams flotsam can come in and be competent starters day one

I think Bell, Crowder, Osemele, and Mosley are a little more than just other teams' flotsam. 

Agree on the luck with rookies, though. Polite and Wesco being solid, part-time contributors would be a huge plus. 

Score more points then their opponents score against them more often than not.

Seems pretty simple, really.

Personally, asking for .500 is asking to for too little at this point.

It's sad how low we are setting our expectations already.  Some fans I've read have already written off 2019 altogether.  It's kinda pathetic, really.

11 minutes ago, slats said:

I think Bell, Crowder, Osemele, and Mosley are a little more than just other teams' flotsam. 

Agree on the luck with rookies, though. Polite and Wesco being solid, part-time contributors would be a huge plus. 

I wasn't including the FA's we picked up in my statement, you assumed.

6 minutes ago, Joe the Breadman said:

The Jets actually have a somewhat favorable road schedule this year ...I think that could factor in as well. I think the team can win 6-7 games this season. With a little luck 8-9 wins is not completely unrealistic.

I agree, but I always say it's not WHO you play but WHEN you play them.  2011 is the prime example I always give:  you swap the Raiders and Broncos games and Jets win two more games and make playoffs.  They played the Raiders early in the year and lost.  I think the very next week their big-time RB (can't remember his name, but he killed us) went out for the year with an injury and Raiders sucked from then on.  at that time, Broncos had Orton at QB and were losing bad.  they then got "Tebow magic" and we know how that went later in the season when the Jets played them.

getting back to this year:  we have like 7 games in a row that on paper look real good.  unfortunately. they are not until 2nd half of the season.  If they are 1-6 at that poin, what good is that? their toughest games are at the start of the season.  I think Jets would be better served to play the "easier" games to start, build some confidence, then use that confidence to beat the better teams.  

On the bright side, if the Jets start off good, we can really go on a big roll!!

45 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Simple, really....win the exact amount of games that they lose.

17 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Personally, asking for .500 is asking to for too little at this point.

You guys realize that when I say, "break .500," I mean to win more games than they lose, right? 

4 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Going to go out on a limb here but is math different in Canada? Is the metric system different for fractions?

I guess it depends on the definition of “break” maybe that’s different in Canada 

6 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

we have like 7 games in a row that on paper look real good.  unfortunately. they are not until 2nd half of the season.  If they are 1-6 at that poin, what good is that? their toughest games are at the start of the season.  I think Jets would be better served to play the "easier" games to start, build some confidence, then use that confidence to beat the better teams.  

I generally hate the early bye week, but maybe it could be a good thing this year just for that reason. 

I think the answer is Darnold, full stop. The front office has basically been ******* the same chicken for five years now, the coaching staff is full of sociopaths, the OL is mediocre to bad, the skill players don't inspire confidence, and the pass defense has an outside chance of being truly atrocious, but if Darnold makes a leap it really turns down the volume on all that stuff.

Just now, dbatesman said:

I think the answer is Darnold, full stop. The front office has basically been ******* the same chicken for five years now, the coaching staff is full of sociopaths, the OL is mediocre to bad, the skill players don't inspire confidence, and the pass defense has an outside chance of being truly atrocious, but if Darnold makes a leap it really turns down the volume on all that stuff.

So, like most other clubs

15 minutes ago, CTM said:

Stay healthy + Darnold makes a leap = over 500

9 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

No doubt Darnold is the key. I think the Jets largely sucked last year because Bowles was awful and Darnold spent most of the year on a learning curve. If Gase is decent and Darnold builds off his last month, the team could be good. Add an actual pass rush? Yeah. 

9 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

It is what the NFL basically breaks down to these days. QB covers a number of sins

Sure, but I think it's more true of us than of other teams because our roster is so poor overall that we don't have any margin for error if Darnold doesn't make a jump.

6 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Of course it is, but like what Ryan Fitzpatrick did with a few months of good football.

It is an unfottunate way that football has broken

No doubt, but I'm thinking of it more the opposite way. FO had Buffalo (2nd), Baltimore (3rd), and Cleveland (7th) as top-10 pass defenses last year, so you could make an argument that if their second-year starters stagnate or regress, they could still play hide-the-QB and lean on their defenses and maybe make a wild-card push if they get a few breaks. If Darnold stagnates, what unit are we leaning on?

4 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Of course it is, but like what Ryan Fitzpatrick did with a few months of good football.

It is an unfottunate way that football has broken

Things would be more balanced if they let cornerbacks play more aggressive and let up on some of the penalties. The allure of football is the “team” aspect. It’s too favored for QBs. Oh well. 

9 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

No doubt, but I'm thinking of it more the opposite way. FO had Buffalo (2nd), Baltimore (3rd), and Cleveland (7th) as top-10 pass defenses last year, so you could make an argument that if their second-year starters stagnate or regress, they could still play hide-the-QB and lean on their defenses and maybe make a wild-card push if they get a few breaks. If Darnold stagnates, what unit are we leaning on?

If Darnold stagnates, The Jets are in big troubl.e Like the majority of NFL teams that do not get good qb play. Maybe the Jets are in more trouble, but then what is the point? 

The two biggest keys to the season are:

1) Darnold making the classic second year jump that a lot of premiere QBs make.

2) The defensive coaching staff getting this defensive front 7 to play up to its potential. Between the Williams duo, Henry Anderson, and Mr. Polite, there is a fair amount of physical talent on the defensive line, in particular. How good can these guys be? 

I fully anticipate Gase to be a much better overall HC than Bowles. 

sorta thread related..  but not preCISEly...

in the end, it's Bell/Darnold....  

2ndarily...   The question I asked myself yesterday------- is there a throw Peyton could make that Sam cannot?

My answer was------------------- i dont think so... plus he can extend the play 

Archived