Rewatched GB vs Jets from last season last night on NFLN

JohnnyLV

Was an interesting watch:

1. Anyone that does not think Darnold will be an Elite Top 5 QB should just watch the game. People want to discount how well he played the last 4 games, but he was awesome, and got no support and tons of bad penalties in that 4th quarter. He showed everything. Arm talent, quick release, keen awareness, movement in the pocket, escapability, ELITE ability to throw the ball when scrambling, command, accuracy and leadership. He played as well as Rodgers, and actually sort of almost looked like Rodgers in the way he played

2. Robbie Anderson was WAY more than just a vertical threat in the game. I think he could take another big step this year.

3. Neville Hewitt played a great game. He was good against the run, effective covering the slot, and also blitzed well. Definitely an under the radar guy to watch this summer

4. Darnold effectively neutralized the play of the OL with his movement and quick decision making and super fast release. I sort of see this game as a bit of a blueprint going forward.

5. Center was not an issue, so maybe Harrison will be OK this year

6. Herndon played really well

7. Our OL was NOT strong on run blocking. Hopefully Osemele and a much better back in Bell will help there (though I suspect we get more like the Jets version of LaDanian than the SD version of LaDanian from Bell this year)

8. We all know this but our defensive schemes especially in 4th quarter sucked

Some thoughts:

1. Can definitely see  Trevon Wesco having some impact. He can help in the run game as an effective edge blocker, possibly be used as FB or even ball carrier in short yardage, and will definitely be able to move the chains for us, both running normal routes and on delayed seams and wheels after an initial block

2. I think we can overcome the OL deficiencies with Darnolds skills and better scheme

3. Don't think center will be as big of an issue as last year, though we definitely need to upgrade it

4. We REALLY need Q to stay healthy (personally I wouldnt have extended Q, I don't think he will) and Crowder 

5. I think after Q, Crowder and Anderson the WR position is wide open. I favor Burnett as the 4th receiver, and I think the UDFA Dortch has a golden opportunity to make this team as a returner and YAC receiver in certain packages 

6. We REALLY need Williams to step up. Our defense was really painfully bad in both scheme and execution late. I am not sold on Williams at all, and I think even with all the resources we invest in D, 2019 might see our D being a bigger hurdle to wins than our O. It was pretty lousy last year, and I am not sure Quinnen Williams, and Moseley really move the bar all that much. 

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

2. I think we can overcome the OL deficiencies with Darnolds skills and better scheme

I would love to have a  better Oline, but one of the benefits of having Darnold is that he has amazing pocket awareness and escapability. As long as the Oline is decent, it won't be a problem for him because some of his best plays are improvised. 

The bigger concern is the Olines ability to block for Bell and his unconventional rushing style. Again, not the biggest issue, but still an issue. 

Good points, OP.  

One game where Darnold impressed me was the nearly non-contested loss versus Chicago. That D threw everything at Sam - and Darnold had nothing but substitutes on the OL, RB, and WR. And those substitutes did Darnold no favors, either. Yet Darnold didn't turn the ball over and made the best plays he could under duress for 60 minutes. A forgettable loss for most, but it was also for me another early instance when it was clear to me that we have our guy. 

I agree.  and the Texans game as well.  Remember that Bills game he became the youngest QB in NFL history to lead a 4th qtr comeback win.  if not for the D, he would have been the youngest to have three.  you could even argue he should have had it earlier in the season with the Browns.  people forget because of Baker, but when the Browns finally came back and took the lead, Sam marched right down the field and took it back!  and then.....our defense....

9 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

1. Anyone that does not think Darnold will be an Elite Top 5 QB should just watch the game. People want to discount how well he played the last 4 games, but he was awesome, and got no support and tons of bad penalties in that 4th quarter. He showed everything. Arm talent, quick release, keen awareness, movement in the pocket, escapability, ELITE ability to throw the ball when scrambling, command, accuracy and leadership. He played as well as Rodgers, and actually sort of almost looked like Rodgers in the way he played

2. Robbie Anderson was WAY more than just a vertical threat in the game. I think he could take another big step this year.

1. Can definitely see  Trevon Wesco having some impact. He can help in the run game as an effective edge blocker, possibly be used as FB or even ball carrier in short yardage, and will definitely be able to move the chains for us, both running normal routes and on delayed seams and wheels after an initial block

4. We REALLY need Q to stay healthy (personally I wouldnt have extended Q, I don't think he will) and Crowder 

5. I think after Q, Crowder and Anderson the WR position is wide open. I favor Burnett as the 4th receiver, and I think the UDFA Dortch has a golden opportunity to make this team as a returner and YAC receiver in certain packages 

Agree with first 2. Fan of Robby and have thought he gets too much grief, yes he did some boneheaded things but the guy can play.

Shhhh,... this does not fit Jetnation narrative, lol. See what he does with Frank Pollack - In general I think most people are undervaluing the new coaches. This is no longer going to be a BS relaxed ho-hum environment. I think this will be the biggest difference and more than some fans think.

Wesco as a blocking TE means, hopefully, see you later Tomlinson and should be an improvement.

Q needs to kick the injury bug, JETS paid him and are praying because Robby proved he was the WR that should have gotten that extension IMO. Robby might be in line to get a large payday if he picks up where he a Darnold left off.

Burnett, I like the kid. He made some plays at the end of the season and was not afraid to lay out or take a hit to make a catch, and hands catches at that. 

10 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

though I suspect we get more like the Jets version of LaDanian than the SD version of LaDanian from Bell this year)

Agree with mostly everything but this. LT was like 32 when he got to the Jets. Bell is in his prime at 27 and coming off a year of rest.

11 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

(though I suspect we get more like the Jets version of LaDanian than the SD version of LaDanian from Bell this year)

Tomlinson was 31 when he joined the Jets and he ran for more than 900 yards with the 4.2 average and caught 52 passes his first year as a Jet. 

Bell is 26 and coming off a year off where his body completely healed. 

3 minutes ago, Stark said:

Wesco as a blocking TE means, hopefully, see you later Tomlinson and should be an improvement.

Off topic but I think Wesco is going to be one powerful SOB when he gets in a NFL weight room for a year or two...good luck moving him.

if he can occasionally make the over the middle chain moving grab ... all the better. 

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

Agree with mostly everything but this. LT was like 32 when he got to the Jets. Bell is in his prime at 27 and coming off a year of rest.

More importantly, Bell has 1200 carries in his NFL career prior to coming to the Jets, LT had about 2800 carries before came aboard. 

Two things that kind of got swept under the rug here a lot is that the jets were horrible run blocking and horrible against the run.  Getting osemele and wesco really help the run blocking, and when you have someone like bell, you need to spring him loose b/c the returns will be better.  Having Q and Mosley should really help the run D.  

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Having Q and Mosley should really help the run D.  

And as much grief as we give Leo for lacking in pass rush impact, he DOES at least stuff runs real well. Jordan Jenkins, Henry Anderson, Jamal Adams on run support, Mosley, Williamson, Quinnen...all these guys are great stuffing the run. No excuse for any team to run on us for the next 5 years damnit lol.

19 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Off topic but I think Wesco is going to be one powerful SOB when he gets in a NFL weight room for a year or two...good luck moving him.

if he can occasionally make the over the middle chain moving grab ... all the better. 

Just think of the pick plays they can use with this guy! Have Wesco clear out the LB and have Crowder run underneath.... how can you stop that. Patriots did this all the time with Gronk and Edelman.... unstoppable.

17 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Just think of the pick plays they can use with this guy! Have Wesco clear out the LB and have Crowder run underneath.... how can you stop that. Patriots did this all the time with Gronk and Edelman.... unstoppable.

And this was probably an Adam Gase pick considering how badly he wanted the blocking TE from the Browns. Gase is probably thinking the same thing on that thought about the potential pick plays next year. If it works out then it’s going to be fun watching Crowder get open over the middle or Le’Veon Bell springing free for 27.

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I would love to have a  better Oline, but one of the benefits of having Darnold is that he has amazing pocket awareness and escapability. As long as the Oline is decent, it won't be a problem for him because some of his best plays are improvised. 

The bigger concern is the Olines ability to block for Bell and his unconventional rushing style. Again, not the biggest issue, but still an issue. 

I understand where you're coming from regarding the OLine but I really hate the idea that Macc and the Jets seem to have.  They appear to be of the mindset that because our QB can complete passes while scrambling and running for his life we can de-prioritize the OLine.  That's like saying just because I have good insurance I should drive my car at 90 mph without wearing a seatbelt.

I'd rather us have the mindset that Darnold's skills lend themselves to our offense using some designed rollouts and having him move to create different planes to throw from.  Let's use his escapability and throw-on-the-run skills by choice, rather than necessity.

Now with Bell, as you said, he has an unconventional rushing style.  He's patient, he likes to wait a little before deciding where he's going to go.  He kind of sets up his blocks and eyes the second level to see where the LBs are going.  That's okay if your OLine can sustain blocks and maintain them (without holding) long enough for him to be effective doing this.  I'm not sure that we have the guys for that yet but I do think our biggest OLine upgrade was Frank Pollack, the new coach from Cincy.  Hopefully he can choreograph this blocking scheme the way it needs to be for Bell to be effective.

Last thought....we haven't had a mauling OLine in a while but the addition of Osemele does start to change that.  The Jets seem to be okay with "tacticians" at the OT and Center spots.  Beachum isn't a bruiser but he's smart and can mirror pass rushers pretty well, staying between them and the QB.  Our new OT draftee Chuma Edoga is in the same mold....not huge at 6'3" and 304 lbs. but has good feet and very good passblock efficiency numbers coming out of college.  It could be that the Jets are fine with an "every other guy" approach on the line regarding big, strong maulers.  If the Jets say that LT.......C......RT need to be smart and effective pass blockers while .....OG.....OG..... can be the big guys who push people around, match up with NTs, etc. then that could be a good strategy.  I think the best thing in the world that could happen to the Jets is they find out over the next 12 months that Chuma Edoga can be their starting LT longterm.  That would really free up this team to focus on replacing Harrison and/or Winters next year.

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Good point, I thought Bell was older. If we can LT 27 year performance we will all be very happy. Still, a year off, he gets paid, will he have the hunger to be what he was?

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Good point, I thought Bell was older. If we can LT 27 year performance we will all be very happy. Still, a year off, he gets paid, will he have the hunger to be what he was?

Bell has been playing at a HOF level..... he needs to add 4 more seasons of elite level play. If the Jets can give him a good OL to help, I think he wants the gold jacket and will bust his butt.

59 minutes ago, section314 said:

Just curious.....how did Claiborne play, especially mid 3q to the end of the game?

In the end part of the game the Jets were doing the super soft secondary coupled with blitzing thing so hard to tell. Rodgers missed some open receivers but essentially once Darnold scored the easy Touchdown to go up 35-20 Bowles went ultra soft with the defense. It's actually shocking we lost this game

11 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

In the end part of the game the Jets were doing the super soft secondary coupled with blitzing thing so hard to tell. Rodgers missed some open receivers but essentially once Darnold scored the easy Touchdown to go up 35-20 Bowles went ultra soft with the defense. It's actually shocking we lost this game

The defensive genius of Todd Bowles/Casey Rodgers. :)

7 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

If I had to pick the weakest group of the 2018 team I keep seeing the pass defense and specifically the CBs. I get the OL frustration shown by so many but IMO Mac's biggest fail is with this group. If Williams cant resurrect Johnson and if Roberts and Poole aren't upgrades to Claiborne and Skrine, it will be another long season ...

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

3. Neville Hewitt played a great game. He was good against the run, effective covering the slot, and also blitzed well. Definitely an under the radar guy to watch this summer

4. Darnold effectively neutralized the play of the OL with his movement and quick decision making and super fast release. I sort of see this game as a bit of a blueprint going forward.

6. Herndon played really well

7. Our OL was NOT strong on run blocking. Hopefully Osemele and a much better back in Bell will help there (though I suspect we get more like the Jets version of LaDanian than the SD version of LaDanian from Bell this year)

8. We all know this but our defensive schemes especially in 4th quarter sucked

Some thoughts:

3. Don't think center will be as big of an issue as last year, though we definitely need to upgrade it.

We shouldn't be wondering if your young QB can overcome or compensate for a bad OL. Our idiot GM is supposed to do his job and provide Sammy with great protection. No offense but it almost seems like your making excuses for Mac? Trust me. There are no excuses for Mac. The predicament we're in having to rely on our up and coming QB to OVERCOME a bad OL is 100% an irresponsible move on the part of Mac. Sammy, last year and this, should NOT have to worry about getting the ball out fast to try and compensate for a bad OL. That's supposed to be already installed so the kid can build confidence, because it's confidence that will build him into a franchise QB.

5 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

We shouldn't be wondering if your young QB can overcome or compensate for a bad OL. Our idiot GM is supposed to do his job and provide Sammy with great protection. No offense but it almost seems like your making excuses for Mac? Trust me. There are no excuses for Mac. The predicament we're in having to rely on our up and coming QB to OVERCOME a bad OL is 100% an irresponsible move on the part of Mac. Sammy, last year and this, should NOT have to worry about getting the ball out fast to try and compensate for a bad OL. That's supposed to be already installed so the kid can build confidence, because it's confidence that will build him into a franchise QB.

Gosh no in terms of making excuse for McCoffee. He is incompetent. But I was just looking at what we can reasonably do with the hand we are dealt at this point.

Archived