What kind of numbers does Quinnen Williams need to initially justify his #3 selection in year one?

How many sacks to initially justify the #3 slot  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one.

• 5 sacks, 30+ tackles, 7 TFL
    • 8 sacks, 45+ tackles, 10 TFL
    • Higher.

FTR, I’m not saying he HAS to have a certain amount of sacks in his rookie season or he is a bust. I’m asking how many does he need to reasonable justify his #3 selection as it would stand in YEAR ONE and looking forward..

I’m going to say 8 sacks, 45+ tackles and hopefully a few FF’s. 

I expect him to be great straight out of the gate 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

FTR, I’m not saying he HAS to have a certain amount of sacks in his rookie season or he is a bust. I’m asking how many does he need to reasonable justify his #3 selection as it would stand in YEAR ONE and looking forward..

Is that too high or does it sound about right?

depends on what defense we play ... If its a 3-4 forget a lot of sacks

4 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

where do you envision they mainly fit him in at with Henry and Leo in mind.

Nose Tackle?

In a 3-4 I don't think there is any other choice 

In a 4-3 they would have the Williams bro's at DT which has the potential to be dominant up the middle disrupting pocket passers like Tom Brady. More options to run stunts in a 4-3 as well since QW has the speed to make that work. Cool things is hes just a baby at 20 years old

• Upvote 2

I expect him to be good out of the gate as well. He’s already pretty polished technique wise (rip and swim especially), and he’s not exactly having a huge learning curve other than playbook and maybe some consistent hand usage. He reads and reacts very quickly and has shown he can handle different gap responsibilities. 

That being said, most of the hatred of the pick is because Mac can’t build a roster properly and ignores offensive line. If we had signed Paradis at a minimum and maybe a corner, a lot of people would be more on board with this pick. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

Numbers are kind of dumb. What you want to see from your DT/DE is constant disruption.  Blowing up plays. Opening up others to make plays. As the #3 overall pick he should be able to slide in next to Leo and not only impact every game but open up Leo to more opportunities as well. 

• Upvote 3

Gotta realize too if his stats are weak, but Leo/Anderson has a career year Quinnen is clearly a major factor of that production as well. Having said that if he does indeed elevate the play of the rest of our Dline, we're winning games and he puts up the 1st stat in the poll I won't care! It'd be well worth it

• Upvote 1

His job in my opinion is to disrupt the offense in any way possible. It doesn't have to be by sacking the QB but by hitting him from time to time, letting him know he is there and watch out. Defending against the running game by pushing them back. He should also be the team leader with Jamal Adams pushing the players

Those are my expectations of Williams!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Well, if we consider the “we need Quinnen so that we get more production out of Leonard” logic/argument, then we should also be talking about:

1.) What stays from Leo will justify the Wuinnen pick?

and

2.) Who must we select next year in order to unlock Quinnen’s potential?

• Sympathy 1

31 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Darnold struggled mightily last year.  So he shouldnt have been the number 3 pick?

Darnold's success as a 21 rookie was heavy influenced by the piss poor coaching and talent on offense. Much more variables to account for than a elite DT prospect who comes with Alabama pedigree. QW doesn't have to dominate straight out the gate, but struggling would be concerning.

Sack production for DT/NT drafted (2018):

1 (12). NT, Vita Vea, 3 sacks

1 (13). NT, Daron Payne, 5 sacks

1 (29). DT, Taven Bryan, 1 sack 

2 (57). DT, P.J. Hall, 0 sacks 

3 (69). DT, B.J. Hill, 5.5 sacks

3 (72). DT, Nate Shepard, 0 sacks

...after this, nobody has more than 0.5 sacks. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Darnold struggled mightily last year.  So he shouldnt have been the number 3 pick?

Not after the "light went on".  Darnold is a superstar in the making..ask JJ Watt..."you're going to be a great Pro".

He was the highest ranking QB in the NFL over the last 4 weeks, basically playing 1 on 11.

When was the last time a Jet QB "led" ANYTHING (GOOD) over a 1/4 season time frame?

Lots of his "struggles" could be chalked up to 1. Being a Rookie (so they are forgiven), but also 2. and I think this applies much more, you had a stone cold idiot as his Head Coach, a guy having plays run to protect his own job from the very first play in Year 1 through his firing after a gifted way way too long 4 years.  He even stuck Darnold with a Center who couldn't get him the ball cleanly for 9 GAMES, not caring he was risking injury to Darnold, again, using the Veteran Spencer Long so he would have a built in excuse..."hey GM paid him, I play him, not my fault". Bowles put Darnold in 3rd and Long with 2 consecutive runs into the middle of the line I don't know how many times.

Williams, was again THE consensus pick, and no surprise because that's how Maccagnan rolls, he is not too good at this GM thing and I think he knows it, and he is protecting his own job.  But I can't ding him on this pick at all, I've seen enough tape and read enough to be ok with it.

Hope for the best, like with any draft pick.

And hey, it could be much much worse...Daniel Jones could be the Jet QB for the next 5 years haha.

3 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

I expect him to be great straight out of the gate 

He needs exactly 7 sacks.  No more, no less.