The 10 best and 10 worst Jets regular seasons of all-time based on Point Differential

lol, nope.  Just for the 1998 season alone Parcells is # 2.  We were 1-15 two years prior, for pete's sake. 

1) Ewbank
2) Parcells
3) Mangini (2006 and 2008 seasons, plus had a major say in us getting Mangold and Ferguson)
4) Walt Michels (final 2 seasons as HC:  16-8-1)
5) Rex Ryan
6) Joe Walton
7) Bruce Coslet
8 ) Herm Edwards
9)  Todd Bowles
10) Sammy Baugh
11) Pete Carroll
12) Bulldog Turner
13) Mike Holovak
14) Ken Shipp
15) Al Groh
16) Lou Holtz
17) Dick Kotite
18) Charlie Winner
I disagree. You can debate whether Rex is two or three but he is no worse than three. He also owns the most playoff wins in Jets history. So he should get the nod over tuna for that alone

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Skeptable said:

Revis was barely thrown at in 2009 so his numbers are skewed... 

That’s actually not true. In 2010 that was the case, but in 2009 he was actually one of the most targeted corners in the league. The scheme was basically designed to funnel targets at Revis, daring opposing QBs to throw at him, and they didn’t back down until 2010 when they realized that was a fool’s errand.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Skeptable said:

Lucas, and Mirer as Qbs... disgusting... Especially when Tupa (punter) comes in and shows them all up by having the best game at QB than either of them did all year. 

Parcells held on to Mirer too long. He didn't think Lucas could come in and play better than the former #2 overall pick. Lucas played very well and if he would have come in a game or two earlier we would have gone to the Super Bowl. no team was playing as well as we were at the end of that season. 

Post script: Parcells quits, Belly Quits, Keyshawn traded, 9-7 miss the playoffs, Groh quits, Terry Bradway hired, DB coach hired as HC.  :)  

On 5/1/2019 at 3:23 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

I was on pro-football-reference.com looking something else up and noticed that they provide the ability to sort by Point Differential for all-time results.  Here's how the best and worst regular seasons rank, based on Point Differential.  I also included the Coach, top Passer, Rusher and Receiver on those teams, as well at the player who received the top "Appoximate Value" on the team, per the site:

Jets 10 best regular seasons

1.  1998 (12-4):  +150 Point Differential  -- Parcells, Testaverde, Martin, Keyshawn Johnson (# 1 AV:  Mo Lewis)
  2.  1968 (11-3):  +139  -- Ewbank, Namath, Snell, Maynard (# 1 AV:  Maynard)
  3.  1985 (11-5):  +129  -- Joe Walton, O'Brien, McNeil, Shuler  (# 1 AV:  Klecko)
  4.  2009 (9-7):  +112  -- Rex Ryan, Sanchez, Thomas Jones, Cotchery  (# 1 AV:  David Harris)
  5.  1969 (10-4):  +84  -- Ewbank, Namath, Snell, Maynard  (# 1 AV:  Namath)
  6.  1982 (6-3):  +79  -- Walt Michaels, Richard Todd, McNeil, Wesley Walker  (# 1 AV:  Gastineau)
  7.  2015 (10-6):  +73  -- Bowles, Fitzpatrick, Ivory, Marshall  (# 1 AV:  Wilkerson)
  8.  2004 (10-6):  +72  --  Herm Edwards, Pennington, Martin, Moss  (# 1 AV:  Martin)
  9.  1981 (10-5-1):  +68  -- Michaels, Todd, McNeil, Walker  (# 1 AV:  Klecko)
  10.  2010 (11-5):  +63  -- Rex Ryan, Sanchez, Tomlinson, Braylon Edwards  (# 1 AV:  Pouha)

Jets 10 worst regular seasons

1.  1976 (3-11):  - 214 Point Differential  -- Lou Holtz/Mike Holovak, Namath, Clark Gaines, David Knight  (# 1 AV:  Gaines)
  2.  1975 (3-11):  -175  -- Charlie Winner/Ken Shipp, Namath, Riggins, Rich Caster  (# 1 AV:  Riggins)
  3.  1996 (1-15):  -175  -- Dick Kotite, Reich, Murrell, Chrebet  (# 1 AV:  Murrell)
  4.  1989 (4-12):  -158  -- Walton, O'Brien, Johnny Hector, Jo-Jo Townsell  (# 1 AV:  Erik McMillan)
  5.  1995 (3-13):  -151  -- Kotite, Esiason, Murrell, Chrebet  (# 1 AV:  Matt Brock)
  6.  1963 (5-8-1):  -150  -- Ewbank, Dick Wood, Mark Smolinski, Bake Turner  (# 1 AV:  Turner)
  7.  1962 (5-9):  -145  --  Bulldog Turner, Johnny Green, Dick Christy, Art Powell  (# 1 AV:  Larry Grantham)
  8.  2016 (5-11):  -134  -- Bowles, Fitzpatrick, Forte, Enunwa  (# 1 AV:  Leonard Williams)
  9.  2014 (4-12):  -118  -- Rex Ryan, Geno Smith, Ivory, Decker  (# 1 AV:  Sheldon Richardson)
  10.  2005 (4-12);  -115  -- Edwards, Brooks Bollinger, Martin, Coles  (# 1 AV:  Ty Law)

My first immediate thought:  Their AV system must be highly flawed, given that Sione Pouha got the top ranking on that 2010 team.  Also David Harris had a higher score than Revis in 2009.  Strange.

I'm also surprised that 9-7 2009 team had such a better Point Differential than the 2010 team that went 11-5.  Schedule strength may have played a big factor as we went from a last place schedule to a 2nd-place schedule.  But still.

Lastly, Joe Walton was HC for our # 3 best season and also our # 4 worst season four years later.  Crazy.

Very interesting. Thanks for putting that together.

I noticed Kotite's two seasons both made the top 5 worst. Boy am I glad I went to every single one of those home games. They were the worst of times, they were the worst of times. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

3) Mangini (2006 and 2008 seasons, plus had a major say in us getting Mangold and Ferguson)

Total clown shoes. 0-1 playoff record. Only won games in 2008 because Favre told Schottenheimer to **** off. Jets only won one more game once Favre obviously was hurt although no one will admit to it. He should be down where you have Groh, who's too low, and Holtz was actually worse than Kotite, Kotite just dragged it out longer. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, slats said:

Total clown shoes. 0-1 playoff record. Only won games in 2008 because Favre told Schottenheimer to **** off. Jets only won one more game once Favre obviously was hurt although no one will admit to it. He should be down where you have Groh, who's too low, and Holtz was actually worse than Kotite, Kotite just dragged it out longer. 

The Jets weren't winning because of favre, he was holding them back and he folded once it got cold.  

Kotite is definitely above holtz.  I would put kotite above Bowles because as bad as he was as a HC he brought in a ton of talent and left the team in a good situation for a real HC.  

7 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Parcells held on to Mirer too long. He didn't think Lucas could come in and play better than the former #2 overall pick. Lucas played very well and if he would have come in a game or two earlier we would have gone to the Super Bowl. no team was playing as well as we were at the end of that season. 

Post script: Parcells quits, Belly Quits, Keyshawn traded, 9-7 miss the playoffs, Groh quits, Terry Bradway hired, DB coach hired as HC.  :)  

There's no chance we go to the SB with Lucas but at least we would have made the playoffs.  

18 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I was so excited about that season (and young, lol) that I stayed up ALL NIGHT drinking and partying with my cousins.....Vinny went down, Tupa came in, and I went to bed. 

Funny...similar story. Up late drinking....felt like I was run over by a truck and could barely even get up to watch the game.   Immediately started shots when vinny went down.

• Haha 1

so when people are saying this Jets team which was 4-12 last year and going to the playoffs with an 11 win season 

what they are actually saying is this Jets team is among the ten best in franchise history 

I'm not sure if that's just a low bar or what... but still, given they don't have a cornerback 2 or a center it seems hopeful 

On 5/1/2019 at 4:02 PM, T0mShane said:

This is great work but, bar none, the worst Jets season is the one where Testaverde blew his Achilles out in the opener. Worse than a parent dying in your arms. Don’t at me. 

I was on a plane, flying back to start a new semester.

My room mate picks me up, "Did you hear, your QB got hurt."   It was like that serious kick in the nuts, you know, where you get both of them.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I was on a plane, flying back to start a new semester.

My room mate picks me up, "Did you hear, your QB got hurt."   It was like that serious kick in the nuts, you know, where you get both of them.

I was at that game, good seats with my pops. we had just unwrapped aiello's sandwiches (pre 911 when you could bring in food and not be searched like a criminal) when Vinny T just crumpled against air

i remember my pops blaming the turf the whole ride home. Which to long island, post game - is a long ride  

if anyone ever wonders why I can't just root for the team like a normal person, that's just one incident, among hundreds 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, slats said:

While Mangini was here, we acquired Revis, Ferguson, Mangold, and David Harris in the draft.  I know Tannenbaum gets all of the credit for that around here, but somehow he forgot how to draft when Mangini left.  Strange. 

43 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

While Mangini was here, we acquired Revis, Ferguson, Mangold, and David Harris in the draft.  I know Tannenbaum gets all of the credit for that around here, but somehow he forgot how to draft when Mangini left.  Strange. 

He was a garbage coach who gets way too much credit around here but can't latch onto an assistant defensive backs coach job in the NFL. Don't see too many NFL front offices bringing him in for his drafting prowess, either. 

Listing him ahead of Michaels, Rex, Walton, and Edwards is absurd, for starters. Listing him ahead of Coslet or Groh is questionable at best. 

And where did you form your opinions on the likes of Baugh, Winner, and Bulldog Turner? I'm probably twice your age and don't have firm opinions on those guys. 

11 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

They were rolling at the end

fricking Mirer

didnt tupa start a game too, he was even better than Mirer

that was the most depressing season, and rollercoaster, with how well they finished

33 minutes ago, slats said:

He was a garbage coach who gets way too much credit around here but can't latch onto an assistant defensive backs coach job in the NFL. Don't see too many NFL front offices bringing him in for his drafting prowess, either. 

Listing him ahead of Michaels, Rex, Walton, and Edwards is absurd, for starters. Listing him ahead of Coslet or Groh is questionable at best. 

And where did you form your opinions on the likes of Baugh, Winner, and Bulldog Turner? I'm probably twice your age and don't have firm opinions on those guys.  

Bad coach, yes.  But he played a big role in acquiring the talent that led to our successful 2009 and 2010 seasons.  So for that I give him the # 3 spot on a list of a bad coaches outside of Weeb and Parcells.  It's those 2 and then everybody else.  And I'll never understand why there are so many Parcells haters here. 

I was a big Bulldog Turner hater.  Didn't you see my many posts about him?

48 minutes ago, slats said:

Okay, we agree. 

Yep.

1) Ewbank
2) Parcells

3) Mangini   Bad Coach
4) Walt Michels  Bad Coach
5) Rex Ryan  Bad Coach
6) Joe Walton  Bad Coach
7) Bruce Coslet  Bad Coach
8 ) Herm Edwards  Bad Coach
9)  Todd Bowles  Bad Coach
10) Sammy Baugh  Bad Coach
11) Pete Carroll  Bad Coach
12) Bulldog Turner  Bad Coach
13) Mike Holovak  Bad Coach
14) Ken Shipp  Bad Coach
15) Al Groh  Bad Coach

16) Lou Holtz  Bad Coach

17) Dick Kotite  Awful Coach
18) Charlie Winner  Awful Coach

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Arent you the same guy that mocks people who say Bowles heavily influenced Mac drafts?

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Bad coach, yes.  But he played a big role in acquiring the talent that led to our successful 2009 and 2010 seasons.  So for that I give him the # 3 spot on a list of a bad coaches outside of Weeb and Parcells.  It's those 2 and then everybody else.  And I'll never understand why there are so many Parcells haters here. 

I was a big Bulldog Turner hater.  Didn't you see my many posts about him?

He directly cost us Manning and Belichick ?

Great coach though 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yep.

1) Ewbank
2) Parcells

3) Mangini   Bad Coach
4) Walt Michels  Bad Coach
5) Rex Ryan  Bad Coach
6) Joe Walton  Bad Coach
7) Bruce Coslet  Bad Coach
8 ) Herm Edwards  Bad Coach
9)  Todd Bowles  Bad Coach
10) Sammy Baugh  Bad Coach
11) Pete Carroll  Bad Coach
12) Bulldog Turner  Bad Coach
13) Mike Holovak  Bad Coach
14) Ken Shipp  Bad Coach
15) Al Groh  Bad Coach

16) Lou Holtz  Bad Coach

17) Dick Kotite  Awful Coach
18) Charlie Winner  Awful Coach

Rex took over from Mangini, replaced a HoF QB with Mark Sanchez, and made it to the AFCCG two years in a row. He's head, shoulders, and belly over Eric Mangini on his worst day. Walt Michaels could coach circles around Eric, but our historically bad ownership inexplicably pulled the rug out from him the year he lost the AFCCG. Herm won playoff games. Walton got to the playoffs a couple times and won a game. Sammy Baugh did more with less than Mangini. 

Michaels should be up there with Parcells, and you could make the argument that he was better. Next is Rex, no matter how cool it is on this board to hate on him. You should drop Mangini down there with Mike Holovak, who you only first heard of when compiling this list. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, slats said:

Rex took over from Mangini, replaced a HoF QB with Mark Sanchez, and made it to the AFCCG two years in a row. He's head, shoulders, and belly over Eric Mangini on his worst day. Walt Michaels could coach circles around Eric, but our historically bad ownership inexplicably pulled the rug out from him the year he lost the AFCCG. Herm won playoff games. Walton got to the playoffs a couple times and won a game. Sammy Baugh did more with less than Mangini. 

Michaels should be up there with Parcells, and you could make the argument that he was better. Next is Rex, no matter how cool it is on this board to hate on him. You should drop Mangini down there with Mike Holovak, who you only first heard of when compiling this list. 

80 is probationary member of T0m's posse, the talking points need to be followed to a T at this stage. Rex, Mac bad. Idzik, Mangini good.

Once a full member he can deviate a little

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

I was at that game, good seats with my pops. we had just unwrapped aiello's sandwiches (pre 911 when you could bring in food and not be searched like a criminal) when Vinny T just crumpled against air

i remember my pops blaming the turf the whole ride home. Which to long island, post game - is a long ride  

if anyone ever wonders why I can't just root for the team like a normal person, that's just one incident, among hundreds 

That was the last year with the old artificial turf, they went to grass for the best 3 years before installing field turf in 03

1 hour ago, CTM said:

He directly cost us Manning and Belichick ?

Great coach though 

I will always appreciate BP taking us out of the dark ages as a HC but as a GM he killed us.  He absolutely cost us BB and Manning and possibly Brady.  If we keep BB he has his same staff in place he brought yo foxboro and chances are we draft Brady and the dynasty is ours.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I will always appreciate BP taking us out of the dark ages as a HC but as a GM he killed us.  He absolutely cost us BB and Manning and possibly Brady.  If we keep BB he has his same staff in place he brought yo foxboro and chances are we draft Brady and the dynasty is ours.

100%.

• Upvote 1

On 5/2/2019 at 1:51 AM, funaz said:

Rex was the 2nd best coach in the Jets history. Better than Tuna, just below Ewbank. I wish we kept Rex.

Rex had the good fortune to be Ray Lewis's defensive coordinator and then get hired to coach a pretty good team that Mangini put together.  He ran it into the ground and then went and ruined a very good Buffalo defense, to boot.   I like his personality but in terms of football, the best thing he had going for him was timing.

10 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Rex had the good fortune to be Ray Lewis's defensive coordinator and then get hired to coach a pretty good team that Mangini put together.  He ran it into the ground and then went and ruined a very good Buffalo defense, to boot.   I like his personality but in terms of football, the best thing he had going for him was timing.

The team he built went 4-12 before adding Brett Favre the following year. His last season, the great drafter added key pieces like Vernon Gholston for Rex to work with and Brett walked. This, “the team that Mangini built,” nonsense is complete nonsense. 

If Favre stuck around another year, he very well might’ve won himself and Rex a Lombardi. 

35 minutes ago, slats said:

The team he built went 4-12 before adding Brett Favre the following year. His last season, the great drafter added key pieces like Vernon Gholston for Rex to work with and Brett walked. This, “the team that Mangini built,” nonsense is complete nonsense. 

If Favre stuck around another year, he very well might’ve won himself and Rex a Lombardi. 

Favre sabotaged the season, they wouldn't have won anything with him because he never wanted to be here.  If we got the 2009 version of favre we could have won but that guy would never have showed up here and let's not forget favre cost his team to the 2009 NFC championship game.

51 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

I love how mangini gets the credit as GM, the facts are tannenbaum had success with mangini, mangini never had success without tannenbaum.  If mangini was as good as evaluating college talent as some of you think he would have been hired in a front office.

Rex took the same team mangini couldn't get to the playoffs and brought them to the AFC championship game with a rookie QB.  There is no comparison btw Rex and mangini

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

Favre sabotaged the season, they wouldn't have won anything with him because he never wanted to be here.  If we got the 2009 version of favre we could have won but that guy would never have showed up here and let's not forget favre cost his team to the 2009 NFC championship game.

I wasn’t a fan of signing Favre, but this is nonsense. They only won games that last season after going 4-12 the previous year because Brett Favre was doing what he wanted to do until his arm broke and Mangini wasn’t willing to break his iron man streak and left him in there. Mangini’s coaching was boring and bad, a terrible combination. 

4 hours ago, CTM said:

80 is probationary member of T0m's posse, the talking points need to be followed to a T at this stage. Rex, Mac bad. Idzik, Mangini good.

Once a full member he can deviate a little

They all suck, we're just arguing over which sucks least.  Idzik is better than Macc because at least Idzik had a plan, he just executed it poorly.  And while Mangini was a terrible coach, he at least understood personnel to a degree.  Rex's scheme got figured out by the league after 2 seasons AND he sucked at evaluating talent.  

Just because my views match Shane's on this one doesn't mean they're wrong.  

4 hours ago, CTM said:

Arent you the same guy that mocks people who say Bowles heavily influenced Mac drafts?

Yes, because its an easy way to excuse the GM.  However, Tannenbaum was the GM while Mangini and Rex were here, yet his drafts were completely different and terrible when Rex arrived.  That's not a coincidence.  When the HC legitimately has an impact on picking some of the greatest Jets we've ever had, that's noticeable.

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes, because its an easy way to excuse the GM.  However, Tannenbaum was the GM while Mangini and Rex were here, yet his drafts were completely different and terrible when Rex arrived.  That's not a coincidence.  When the HC legitimately has an impact on picking some of the greatest Jets we've ever had, that's noticeable.

The reality is all 3 coaches had a tremendous influence. Tannenbaum had a decent draft under Rex and a terrible one under Mangini. Manigini had a terrible one in Cleveland.  You are basically talking about a handful of picks either way, hard to rely on that as a pattern of behavior.

• Upvote 1