Jack Conklin

3 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Gotta make this happen idk why they’re letting him go 

Injuries I think.  Finished the year on IR, had ACL surgery in 2018, suffered a concussion early last year, etc.

It's really about the injury risk.  With that said, they may still want him but not at the price of the 5th year option.  Could look to see if he stays healthy and plays well in 2019 before they try to re-sign him.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

Barely an upgrade. Nah.

A huge upgrade. His pass protect win % has been over 80% each of the last 3 years.

I’d offer a 3rd for him, or Lee and a 5th. If nothing else, he’ll be on the market next year and hopefully we can sign him.

16 minutes ago, F00tballGuy69 said:

I think this would mean his contract is done AFTER this season, not that he's released immediately.  If I'm wrong, definitely bring him in.   I don't know all that much about him, other than the fact that he was a high pick a couple years ago.  

the 5th year option is for 2020 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Gotta make this happen idk why they’re letting him go 

You do this when the player is a high pick but isn’t worth the max salary, same as Leonard Williams. It doesn’t mean he sucks, but you still want the option of signing him at a lesser deal. Jamal Adams sucks.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3
  • Haha 2

Not a great fit.

I write about the Titans and the reason he fell out of favor here was because they switched from man blocking to zone blocking and it didn't fit him at all. The OL was much better when his backup played.

Gase runs zone blocking and Bell is successful in zone blocking scheme.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

12 hours ago, win4ever said:

Not a great fit.

I write about the Titans and the reason he fell out of favor here was because they switched from man blocking to zone blocking and it didn't fit him at all. The OL was much better when his backup played.

Gase runs zone blocking and Bell is successful in zone blocking scheme.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Well if that's true what Gase runs , than why did the Jets trade for  K Osemele .    K Osemele the Raiders got rid of because he didn't fit the blocking scheme anymore- zone blocking   ( he's best in power man on man blocking scheme) and the cost.

K Osemele lost a lot of weight 330 to 297 to try and fit into that kind of blocking scheme.    It's  going to be interesting what weight he tries to play at with the Jets, and how effective  he will be playing at that weight.  ( his whole  NFL career is him playing at 330 plus) .

Thats a big risk the Jets are taking there with Osemele .   It's not like they traded for R Hudson who can play in any system, but was made for the zone blocking system.

The Jets GM , and their coach better get on the same page.   Know the system you want to run on both sides of the ball , and than get the players that fit that system.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, F00tballGuy69 said:

I think this would mean his contract is done AFTER this season, not that he's released immediately.  If I'm wrong, definitely bring him in.   I don't know all that much about him, other than the fact that he was a high pick a couple years ago.  

Right it means he’s a UFA next year.  Conklin  was good then had some injuries.  Depth is always a good thing titans would probably trade him for next year’s 4th

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Didn't anybody here read that he was injured and that his measurables have significantly declined?  If the guy is 70% of who he used to be how does that help us...? We're better off taking a healthy Edoga than trading for a guy who was elite but may no longer have the physical ability to be who he used to be. His own team declined his option.So only an idiot wouldn't take that as a warning that maybe he's no longer the same player

• Sympathy 1

17 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

A huge upgrade. His pass protect win % has been over 80% each of the last 3 years.

I’d offer a 3rd for him, or Lee and a 5th. If nothing else, he’ll be on the market next year and hopefully we can sign him.

You's be crazy to offer a 3rd rd. pick!! We have our QB, LB's DL set for the foreseeable future. Next yr. we will be picking in 15 - 20 range in the draft..... we'll have a full arsenal of picks to grab a legit & INEXPENSIVE OL.

We're looking to build long term success.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, F00tballGuy69 said:

I know nothing about this man. Let’s spend assets on him.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Injuries I think.  Finished the year on IR, had ACL surgery in 2018, suffered a concussion early last year, etc.

It's really about the injury risk.  With that said, they may still want him but not at the price of the 5th year option.  Could look to see if he stays healthy and plays well in 2019 before they try to re-sign him.

If he stays healthy and they resign him before he hits the FA, t!tsans will pay out of their bunghole to keep him. 

17 hours ago, T0mShane said:

You do this when the player is a high pick but isn’t worth the max salary, same as Leonard Williams. It doesn’t mean he sucks, but you still want the option of signing him at a lesser deal. Jamal Adams sucks. 

You really should change your bottom signature to this.

Don't argue with me. Just don't and Jamal Adams sucks.

4 hours ago, Untouchable said:

One of the best RT’s in the NFL when healthy

Macc wont do it. He's enamored with signing JAGS on the OL. that are bargain basement prospects. He reached up for Shell with a late pick when he didn't need to and just refuses to invest in the OL with top picks. Getting quality OL prospects was way more important to address than DT this year. 

Macc the wack.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Heres a top OL ready to be scooped up and Macc walks away.  Macc the Wack.

tenor.gif

So you would give up a 3rd (like the OP suggested) for a guy who looks like will be a FA after this season? That's the only thing that smells here. If we trade for him and then lose him in FA we are out a 3rd. rd. pick next year.

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

You's be crazy to offer a 3rd rd. pick!! We have our QB, LB's DL set for the foreseeable future. Next yr. we will be picking in 15 - 20 range in the draft..... we'll have a full arsenal of picks to grab a legit & INEXPENSIVE OL.

We're looking to build long term success.

If healthy, (which is an important if for Conklin at this moment) he’s a top LT. I’d happily give up a 3rd to ensure that.

2 of our premiere position players (Darnold & Polite) are on our rookie deals. Would happily sign Conklin (if he passes medicals) to a deal that runs out when Sam is ready for a new contract.

13 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

If healthy, (which is an important if for Conklin at this moment) he’s a top LT. I’d happily give up a 3rd to ensure that.

2 of our premiere position players (Darnold & Polite) are on our rookie deals. Would happily sign Conklin (if he passes medicals) to a deal that runs out when Sam is ready for a new contract.

So if Conklin is so great, why wouldn't Tenn. pickup his 5th yr. option?

Just now, 32EBoozer said:

So if Conklin is so great, why wouldn't Tenn. pickup his 5th yr. option?

His backup looked good in his absence and is a lot cheaper.

Injuries, they feel he’ll just keep getting hurt.

Can’t afford to pay what he’s going to be asking after next season if they pick up his 5th year option. 

Of course there’s risk involved, but risk I think worth taking. Chanced are almost 0 that Mac would trade for him. But I definitely can see us trying to sign him in free agency.