5th Year Option Status for 2016 draftees

jetstream23

Some rumors, some confirmed news starting to come out...

NFL Rumors: Leonard Floyd's 5th-Year Contract Option Picked Up by Bears

The Chicago Bears reportedly picked up the fifth-year option on linebacker Leonard Floyd's contract Wednesday, according to ESPN's Field Yates.

Floyd's deal now runs through 2020, and he is set to make $13.2 million in its final year, per Spotrac.

1786730995_ScreenShot2019-05-01at8_14_38PM.thumb.png.5189b6b1ab27c46a4c107ea9a33929bf.png

2000723331_ScreenShot2019-05-01at8_16_27PM.png.ab08e0b23eecdab2779bed4022663442.png

380901179_ScreenShot2019-05-01at8_17_04PM.png.17415ae6a83f0b0320c8dd1f63d45313.png

754568754_ScreenShot2019-05-01at8_18_31PM.thumb.png.b28e8ca8c7d9ac29fd34f8382366667d.png

54 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

FYI - No decision on Darron Lee yet.  The Jets have until May 3rd to decide.

I think the Jets have made up their minds they just haven’t told Darron Lee yet or the media. Hmmmm. I will go along with Dr Evil on this one.

Is it any surprise that Lee’s option hasn’t been picked up?

Lee’s so good that the Jets signed Mosley to a contract worth 18 mill per!

They are also paying Avery Williamson 6 mill base salary this season. 

I wonder is they tried to move him during the Draft?

A lot of people criticize the pick, but don't necessarily provide an alternative that would have made a ton of sense at the time. 

Not a great draft class all round. Conklin might be a free agent target next year for us.

1 hour ago, jamesr said:

A lot of people criticize the pick, but don't necessarily provide an alternative that would have made a ton of sense at the time. 

This is true. A huge percentage of Jets fans wanted Paxton Lynch, who was terrible - far worse than Lee. I was very happy with the Lee pick at the time, as I thought he was going to be a very versatile weapon on D.

In retrospect, the best thing would have been to trade up for Laremy Tunsil, which the Jets actually tried to do. But Macc didn't want to part with his 2nd rounder in the trade up....because he needed it so he could pick Christian Hackenberg.

10 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

FYI - No decision on Darron Lee yet.  The Jets have until May 3rd to decide.

May be waiting to see if a team interested in a trade for Lee would want that 5th yr. added.

Doubtful but worth waiting to see if there are any takers.

More exercised than I thought.  The pick there  was Fuller, Jackson or Clark.  But that is the problem-because the Jets were full on WR (Marshall and Decker, CB (Revis and Cromartie) and DT (enough said), Mac was not going to draft one of those.  

that is why this is so said.  

6 hours ago, varjet said:

More exercised than I thought.  The pick there  was Fuller, Jackson or Clark.  But that is the problem-because the Jets were full on WR (Marshall and Decker, CB (Revis and Cromartie) and DT (enough said), Mac was not going to draft one of those.  

that is why this is so said.  

Or Myles Jack or the Flacons LB. both better players, but not as durable. So it’s hard to make a case which of the 3 you’d rather have

And so I guess Mac can never have enough young defensive linemen but an extra CB or WR added to an aging position is too much ?

Raiders didn't excercise fifth year option on Karl Joseph.  No surprise there.   Rock solid  Ss playing the run in the box, but his lack of height killed him matching up against the Te.  ( only weakness) Surprised the Raiders never played him at FS .  

This is old news. Everyone knew what the Jets intentions were when they signed Moseley. The Jets probably knew they made a mistake taking Darron Lee shortly after the 2016 draft. But knowing what they clearly knew, WHY did they continue to put him in there?

3 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

This is old news. Everyone knew what the Jets intentions were when they signed Moseley. The Jets probably knew they made a mistake taking Darron Lee shortly after the 2016 draft. But knowing what they clearly knew, WHY did they continue to put him in there?

I love the Jets LBs going into 2019. Mosely, Jenkins, Williamson, Copeland, Hewitt. Versatile group with good depth, plus they added Cashman. 

3 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

You're talking about a HC who continued to play a center who couldn't snap the ball due to broken fingers. Says all you need to know. :-( 

Not a great draft class all round. Conklin might be a free agent target next year for us.
They just like to complain. If Lee were to have gotten better year by year and then had his best season last year showing that he was capable of improving most of the forum would still complain. The pick made sense though this was a Bowles type of player and Mac was giving his coach what he wanted.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

This is true. A huge percentage of Jets fans wanted Paxton Lynch, who was terrible - far worse than Lee. I was very happy with the Lee pick at the time, as I thought he was going to be a very versatile weapon on D.
In retrospect, the best thing would have been to trade up for Laremy Tunsil, which the Jets actually tried to do. But Macc didn't want to part with his 2nd rounder in the trade up....because he needed it so he could pick Christian Hackenberg.
I was on the Paxton lynch bandwagon and hated the Lee pick. The rumor was that Macc thought hackenburg was better than lynch and though it may not be true it is not far off.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

On 5/2/2019 at 10:24 AM, jetstream23 said:

806950578_ScreenShot2019-05-01at8_27_56PM.thumb.png.8312d4c91625f0b8b7639d869aa50541.png

I was listening to "Moving the Chains" on Sirius XM yesterday and they were talking about this is detail. It was really surprising to hear how many players from this class were not going to have their 5th year option exercised. Something like 2/3 from number 20-31 (No 32nd pick due to deflategate) were not going to.

Above pick #20 it's better, but not immune. Even guys like Eli Apple were already traded away from the original team and still didn't have the 5th year exercised. Interesting stuff. 

They were talking about this being a particularly weak class from #20 on in the first rd.  It should be added that one of the bigger reasons for declining the option is the price tag attached. Some teams may not want to pay the price of the 5th year option but still want the player. We might see some longer term contracts being drawn up for some of the guys on the declined list. 

Interesting re The Saints. I wasnt sure if that option year still worked the same if the player was traded.

I think I'm glad to see some options not being picked up. I think that option year can sometimes hurt a team when it come to resigning them because that 5th year price kind of sets the stage for what they are looking for (or looking to top) with their 2nd contract and in some instances that player isnt nessesarily worth the price of their option year, but the team may still want to resign him. 

Say for instance that if a team wanted to resign that player and a reasonable contract based on their performance is around 10mil/year, but you picked up that option that pays them 13/year. I would think said player is less likely to take a contact that averages below that 5th year tag.

Take Leo for example - The team could sit with him and show him his stats and illustrate that he should be lucky to get a contract that averages, say 11mil. But his 5th year option $ has already grossly overpaid him and he is not likely to take less. That option already screwed your market for him. If you declined and attempted to resign during/after year 4, you might have had a chance at him accepting something reasonable. 

(I dont want Leo back for anything close to his 5th year option price. Just using him as an example) 

Archived