Jump to content

Maccagnan on why Jets didn't trade down


nyjbuddy

Recommended Posts

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001029382/article/mike-maccagnan-explains-why-jets-didnt-trade-down

Leading up to and during draft weekend, no team was pegged as a more likely mover-and-shaker than the New York Jets.

With the third overall pick and no second-round selections thanks to their trade up for Sam Darnold in 2018, Gang Green was thought to be a prime candidate to either trade down from the top five or trade up from their third round pick.

Instead, the Jets stayed pat on Thursday night, selecting arguably the draft's top prospect in Alabama defensive tackle Quinnen Williams, and then failed to move into the second round on Friday evening. New York selected Florida edge rusher Jachai Polite with their original third-rounder and then traded up to grab USC tackle Chuma Edoga.

Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan explained to NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport on the "RapSheet and Friends" podcast this week why New York opted not to fly around the draft.

"It was never a situation where we were trying to get out of the third pick," Maccagnan told Rapoport. "We actually felt very comfortable being there. We said very publicly we were going to get a very good player at 3. But we went through our process in talking to teams.

"I think when we were sitting there with our situation, I think we looked at the possibility of trading back or trading out of the spot. But when we were on the clock and talking to teams, there was never really a trade offer that we felt was strong enough to make us move basically when it was all said and done. That being said, we were very happy to take what we felt was one of the top players in the draft at that spot (Quinnen Williams) and went forward with it."

There was a thought-slash-rumor out thereon Thursday afternoon that the Jets could strike a deal with the division Buffalo Bills to move down to No. 9. Buffalo was eyeing Houston defensive tackle Ed Oliver and the Jets and Raiders (No. 4) were rumored to want him. Maccagnan says he wouldn't have been opposed to trading with an AFC East foe.

"When you trade within the division, you want to make sure it's at least fair for both sides at minimum because you're going to be facing those players all the time," the Jets GM said. "I wouldn't necessarily rule out trading with someone in the division if it's a trade that works out for the team both in the short and long term."

The Jets did not trade down, and Buffalo eventually got its man when Oliver fell to No. 9.

In recent days, another report has emerged that the Jets were interested to trading into the second round to grab Georgia speedster Mecole Hardman, who was grabbed by the Kansas City Chiefs at No. 56.

Maccagnan admitted that New York was interested in moving into the second round, but wouldn't say for which players and cited the difficulty in trading into a round with no picks.

"I think sometimes if you have a pick within the round, it's a lot easier to move up in the round," Maccagnan added. "But if you're trying to get back into the second round and you don't have a second-round pick per se in that year's draft, it makes it a little more difficult. There's a lot of situations where we had talked to teams and quite a few scenarios where teams opted to not want to make a trade and felt good about the players on the board and took the player respectively. But that's part of the draft process you go through.

"In the end we never found a team that was going to be in a position to facilitate a trade with us. We sort of stayed put, kept our picks, kept our future picks and we felt we got some good players in the third round."

Maccagnan sounded pleased with his third-round haul despite Polite's and Edoga's boom-or-bust potential. The GM wasn't bothered by Polite's reported poor pre-draft process, telling Rapoport that Ravens legend Terrell Suggshad a terrible 40 when he was coming out of Arizona State. On Edoga, Maccagnan liked the offensive lineman's arm length and foot quickness and his flexibility to play right tackle, left tackle or swing into guard.

When asked about the positions he hasn't addressed in New York's high-spending offseason, namely the center position, Maccagnan insisted the Jets aren't done making moves. It's a long way 'til September after all.

"Between now and when we play our first game, we have quite a bit of time left. There's still some players out there in free agency. There's still going to be potential trades. There can still be players that come available in preseason, whether it's during preseason in trades or in final cuts," Maccagnan said. "We like the players we have [at center] right now, but if we can make the position more competitive, we're definitely going to do that."

Amid unconfirmed rumblings that Maccagnan's job is in jeopardy, the Jets GM appears satisfied with what he and his team have built in their five seasons in New York. If the players they acquired and drafted this offseason don't pan out in 2019, however, Maccagnan could be looking for work elsewhere come January, ruing the trades he didn't make or the players he didn't take.

Edit:

Here is a link to the interview: https://omny.fm/shows/rap-sheet-friends/ep-35-gm-mike-maccagnan-gives-the-inside-story-of 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Raiders tried to trade back and get Ferrell later and the phone didn’t ring for them. Whatever offers the Jets were hearing were trash and then this board would have gone crazy at Mac for not getting enough. Plenty to criticize Mac about but this isn’t one of them.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Macc is a terrible GM and this inability to trade back isnt a 2019 issue, it's been an issue throughout his time as the Jets GM. The Jets always are offered trash draft offers because Macc doesnt know how to negotiate a counter offer and then close on fair draft trades. Multiple times the Jets took who was considered the "best prospect in the draft", so if that is considered factual, then why is it that the Jets are never able to trade back with such awesome talent on the board? Why is it that Macc cant find 1 of the other 31 teams willing to give up fair value to have the opportunity to draft such top talent? It's because Macc isnt a draft trade negotiator. 

Many GM's will start out with asking for the world during a trade, Macc has to find that midway point where they're satisfied with his counter offer.  But he's not a good GM, hence why folks continue to think that it's about the offers coming in and never once thinking about Macc's inability to counter offer. 

It will be an upgrade when Macc is finally removed from that position that he was clearly never prepared for 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Multiple times the Jets took who was considered the "best prospect in the draft", so if that is considered factual, then why is it that the Jets are never able to trade back with such awesome talent on the board? Why is it that Macc cant find 1 of the other 31 teams willing to give up fair value to have the opportunity to draft such top talent? It's because Macc isnt a draft trade negotiator. 

I could be wrong on this but it doesn't feel like teams trade up to the top 5-10 of the 1st round unless it's for a QB.  If you're going to give up a bunch of assets, it had better be worth it.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I could be wrong on this but it doesn't feel like teams trade up to the top 5-10 of the 1st round unless it's for a QB.  If you're going to give up a bunch of assets, it had better be worth it.  

My thinking precisely. the value of the position would have to be highly significant for teams to bankrupt their draft. The same people that are villifying the pick of DT at #3 because it won't generate wins are the same people that are villifying Mac for not getting someone else to give up the ship for the same player. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

Macc is a terrible GM and this inability to trade back isnt a 2019 issue, it's been an issue throughout his time as the Jets GM. The Jets always are offered trash draft offers because Macc doesnt know how to negotiate a counter offer and then close on fair draft trades. Multiple times the Jets took who was considered the "best prospect in the draft", so if that is considered factual, then why is it that the Jets are never able to trade back with such awesome talent on the board? Why is it that Macc cant find 1 of the other 31 teams willing to give up fair value to have the opportunity to draft such top talent? It's because Macc isnt a draft trade negotiator. 

Many GM's will start out with asking for the world during a trade, Macc has to find that midway point where they're satisfied with his counter offer.  But he's not a good GM, hence why folks continue to think that it's about the offers coming in and never once thinking about Macc's inability to counter offer. 

It will be an upgrade when Macc is finally removed from that position that he was clearly never prepared for 

I think the problem is his inability to make a decision that may be criticized. He's so worried about the perception of not getting enough in a trade return that he's not doing whats in the best interest of the team but what's in the best interest of his career. That's evident from his comments in that article and years past where he's blamed the offers coming in on why he didn't trade down.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Raiders tried to trade back and get Ferrell later and the phone didn’t ring for them. Whatever offers the Jets were hearing were trash and then this board would have gone crazy at Mac for not getting enough. Plenty to criticize Mac about but this isn’t one of them.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There were 2 players superior to the rest. 1 of them was available at 3, neither were available at 4. That matters. He even said he had two teams that called about a trade.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

You guys realize you can’t just trade down at will?

Exactly. Trade backs are all about position. He traded up for Sam Darnold (QB), that's the only reason teams are giving up draft assets. 

We've come a long way from starting David Clowney & David Nelson for god sakes. Robbie Anderson, Quincy Enunwa, Crowder, Herndon & Le'veon Bell. 

With Sam Darnold at QB. Please stop hating.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I could be wrong on this but it doesn't feel like teams trade up to the top 5-10 of the 1st round unless it's for a QB.  If you're going to give up a bunch of assets, it had better be worth it.  

ding ding ding!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Five years in, unfortunately, this is the only team that any man could have assembled. Restrained by cruel fate year after year to be both stuck in one draft slot but fortunate enough to have the best player in the draft fall to that draft slot, Maccagnan—just one mortal man—did what he could. Hark, you query, how could a player be both “the best player in the draft” and still generate no interest from teams drafting behind the Jets? A solid question, I suppose, but we have to give Mike Maccagnan the benefit of the doubt, for as we’ve seen, he’s a shrewd negotiator who knows very well the real value of talent. If Warren Buffet were to invest his fortune into cryptocurrencies and go bankrupt in five years, we would believe him when he said that owning a lot of digital currency was the best available way to allocate his resources, and we’d believe him. Granted, Mike Maccagnan has never built a Buffet-like fortune, but he did help scout college talent for the Houston Texans during a period where they went 55-96, so that’s kinda like building a fortune. The point is, when you look at the roster today, realize that no one—NO ONE—could have done a better, more courageous job of building it, because there was nothing else to be done. Nothing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Five years in, unfortunately, this is the only team that any man could have assembled. Restrained by cruel fate year after year to be both stuck in one draft slot but fortunate enough to have the best player in the draft fall to that draft slot, Maccagnan—just one mortal man—did what he could. Hark, you query, how could a player be both “the best player in the draft” and still generate no interest from teams drafting behind the Jets? A solid question, I suppose, but we have to give Mike Maccagnan the benefit of the doubt, for as we’ve seen, he’s a shrewd negotiator who knows very well the real value of talent. If Warren Buffet were to invest his fortune into cryptocurrencies and go bankrupt in five years, we would believe him when he said that owning a lot of digital currency was the best available way to allocate his resources, and we’d believe him. Granted, Mike Maccagnan has never built a Buffet-like fortune, but he did help scout college talent for the Houston Texans during a period where they went 55-96, so that’s kinda like building a fortune. The point is, when you look at the roster today, realize that no one—NO ONE—could have done a better, more courageous job of building it, because there was nothing else to be done. Nothing.

This.  Macc is horrendous.  The faster we can get him away from our team the better we will be.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, WowOhWow said:

This.  Macc is horrendous.  The faster we can get him away from our team the better we will be.

Talk to me after this season. If the Jets go down in flames I'm right there with you but if we finally see a team that actually gets BETTER as the season progresses, unlike the last 8 years, than all you Macc haters will have to take your medicine line men & like it. No one knows sh*t until the beginning of December. 50 years, I think we should all have the patience for another 8 months. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

in the first two rounds mccagnan likes to window shop except for last year when he knew he had to get a qb or his job was gone.  it's way easier and cheaper to move around in rounds 3-7 and that's what he prefers to do.  next year the jets will pick in their designated spots in the 1st and 2nd round regardless of the rumors.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We got screwed the moment Justin Herbert decided he didn't want to come out this year.  If he'd have declared we would have gotten back everything we lost to the Colts.  But he didn't... and since I am an Oregon fan... I can live with that.  ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Macc is a terrible GM and this inability to trade back isnt a 2019 issue, it's been an issue throughout his time as the Jets GM. The Jets always are offered trash draft offers because Macc doesnt know how to negotiate a counter offer and then close on fair draft trades. Multiple times the Jets took who was considered the "best prospect in the draft", so if that is considered factual, then why is it that the Jets are never able to trade back with such awesome talent on the board? Why is it that Macc cant find 1 of the other 31 teams willing to give up fair value to have the opportunity to draft such top talent? It's because Macc isnt a draft trade negotiator. 

Many GM's will start out with asking for the world during a trade, Macc has to find that midway point where they're satisfied with his counter offer.  But he's not a good GM, hence why folks continue to think that it's about the offers coming in and never once thinking about Macc's inability to counter offer. 

It will be an upgrade when Macc is finally removed from that position that he was clearly never prepared for 

Very possible,  but we don't have any concrete info to support your main point here about his ability to counter.  I'm not saying it isn't true, as I have the same lack of info. Just a tough point to nail down. 

What I can add is that this is the first offseason where I really dug into evaluations of lower rd players. Generally I would just listen to posters here or watch a highlight vid or two for info on the guys outside of the first or even 2nd rd predictions. I dug in deep and worked on 6 different teams mocks this offseason. Not one was the Jets unfortunately. Having this knowledge and understanding, while obviously not a real scout or anything, made watching Macc navigate through the draft very frustrating. I honestly would have done things very differently. So I have a greater understanding of why some of the more draft oriented fans become so irritated with Macc's choices. 

I think Macc's problem is a little different from the point you were making although they can tie together to produce similarly frustrating results.  I feel he is a prisoner to his systems and thought processes. Ultimately governed by fear.  Fear of wavering from those ideas removes the potential to make some of the moves and draft day trades in particular that we would all like to see. 

 The idea of trusting the board is fine, but I think need somehow has to penetrate the board to some degree. (That's merely one aspect of it of course)  Maybe I don't understand completely, but I don't see that with Macc. Cashman is a strong example of that but there are many others.  I didn't like how we operated this draft and looking back at some of the other years, I can totally understand why people would feel the way they do about this guy. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, pdxgreen said:

We got screwed the moment Justin Herbert decided he didn't want to come out this year.  If he'd have declared we would have gotten back everything we lost to the Colts.  But he didn't... and since I am an Oregon fan... I can live with that.

the raiders would have traded up with the 49ers and we'd have bosa.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

the raiders would have traded up with the 49ers and we'd have bosa.

The pick would have just cost that much more then.  Raiders had a load of picks but we were already trying to deal with them this draft.  Only way they'd have dealt with the Niners was if there were multiple teams looking to move up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Macc is a terrible GM and this inability to trade back isnt a 2019 issue, it's been an issue throughout his time as the Jets GM. The Jets always are offered trash draft offers because Macc doesnt know how to negotiate a counter offer and then close on fair draft trades. Multiple times the Jets took who was considered the "best prospect in the draft", so if that is considered factual, then why is it that the Jets are never able to trade back with such awesome talent on the board? Why is it that Macc cant find 1 of the other 31 teams willing to give up fair value to have the opportunity to draft such top talent? It's because Macc isnt a draft trade negotiator. 

Many GM's will start out with asking for the world during a trade, Macc has to find that midway point where they're satisfied with his counter offer.  But he's not a good GM, hence why folks continue to think that it's about the offers coming in and never once thinking about Macc's inability to counter offer. 

It will be an upgrade when Macc is finally removed from that position that he was clearly never prepared for 

Actually your just biased and stupid. It takes two to make a trade. And why ever trade an elite player for a lesser one unless you truly believe you're getting least equal value.

Drafting is an inexact science. Darnold. L.Williams.Q.Williams. Adams. All fine picks . After the top picks no pick is a sure thing. Gittleman took  a guy reputed to be the 7th or 8th ranked QB at 6.

so be happy MacCagnan wasn't as stupid as you obviously are and trust me YOU make Gittleman look like a genius by comparison.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, billneftleberg said:

Drafting is an inexact science. Darnold. L.Williams.Q.Williams. Adams. All fine picks . After the top picks no pick is a sure thing. Gittleman took  a guy reputed to be the 7th or 8th ranked QB at 6.

Not a sure thing means that it is okay to miss on all of them?  Wait, I'm sorry. I will give you Jordan Jenkins, but not the punter or Shell.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, nyjbuddy said:

"That being said, we were very happy to take what we felt was one of the top players in the draft at that spot (Quinnen Williams) and went forward with it."

It must be very exciting to manage to get one of the top players in the draft when you select #3 overall.  If he isn't one of the top 3, what the **** are you doing?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Raiders tried to trade back and get Ferrell later and the phone didn’t ring for them. Whatever offers the Jets were hearing were trash and then this board would have gone crazy at Mac for not getting enough. Plenty to criticize Mac about but this isn’t one of them.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly. If the Raiders traded down and managed to get a great haul I could the bashing of Macc. But no one in the top of the draft traded down this year. I am sure at least 1 or 2 teams tried. 

The team most likely to trade up were the Skins to get Haskins, instead they stayed at 15....and got Haskins. 

It was just a really weak QB class this year (outside of Murray) so teams weren't desperate to trade up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

There were 2 players superior to the rest. 1 of them was available at 3, neither were available at 4. That matters. He even said he had two teams that called about a trade.

Had to be the two “phantom “ teams that Gettleman swears were after Daniel Jones.?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, choon328 said:

I think the problem is his inability to make a decision that may be criticized. He's so worried about the perception of not getting enough in a trade return that he's not doing whats in the best interest of the team but what's in the best interest of his career. That's evident from his comments in that article and years past where he's blamed the offers coming in on why he didn't trade down.

I don’t know about that.  He took Hackenburg in the second round and made a major trade up to number three a month before the draft. One of those moves crashed and the other seems to have been a major success. Both were big-time decisions that could be criticized. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Raiders tried to trade back and get Ferrell later and the phone didn’t ring for them. Whatever offers the Jets were hearing were trash and then this board would have gone crazy at Mac for not getting enough. Plenty to criticize Mac about but this isn’t one of them.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lies. Truth is Macc refused to trade back because he wouldn't have gotten same value in trading up for Darnold (the three 2's). It would have made him appear dumb but he's already a buffoon in the eyes of the football world. Even two 2's and a 4 spread out over 2 years would have been better than nothing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Raiders taking Ferrell at 4 without trading back is a far bigger waste of draft resources than taking the best player in the Draft at #3.

I love what we did with our first 3 picks....as much as I hate what we did with our final 3 picks. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.


×
×
  • Create New...