Maccagnan on why Jets didn't trade down

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And are you guys seriously trying to say that a good GM wouldn't be able to pump fake that someone was looking to move up for Haskins or Daniel Jones?  Really?  That's negotiating 101, and Macc has never proven able to do that. 

There was no market at #3.  And, watching the Raiders take Ferrell, the Giants take Daniel Jones, etc. almost have me sighing in relief with what we did at #3.  Those two god-awful picks are the 2 exact reasons that the Jags got Josh Allen and the Bills got Ed Oliver.  Allen should have gone #4 (at worst #6) and then Oliver would have been a Jaguar.

With knucklehead moves like this there's no wonder we couldn't trade back from #3.  Heck, the Redskins didn't move up a single spot and got Haskins at #15.

I'm fine with Macc not selling a $1 bill for 75 cents.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

So, let’s say that Maccagnan makes that hypothetical trade with the Redskins, getting his clock cleaned on the value chart in the process, and then goes into the draft with those picks. Which draft haul would you prefer: 

As is:

1. Quinnen Williams

3a. Jachai Polite

3b. Chuma Edoga 

4. Trevon Wesco

5. Blake Cashman

6. Blessuan Austin 

Or (post-clock cleaning)

1. Brian Burns, EDGE, FSU

2. Greedy Williams, CB, LSU or Erik McCoy, C, TAMU

3a. David Montgomery, RB, Iowa State

3b. David Long, CB, Michigan or Connor McGovern, C, PSU

3c. Chuma Edoga, OT, USC

4. Trevon Wesco

5. Blake Cashman

6. Kelvin Harmon, WR, NC State

7. Mike Weber, RB, Ohio State

This is why Maccagnan saying he couldn’t get “fair value” is a canard. The question isn’t about value for any one pick, it’s about how that return can improve the roster over the course of the rebuild. Clearly, the second draft better positions the Jets moving forward, even if you take some short-term hurt on the value chart. The first draft is fine if those 500 points you saved on the value chart we’re going to suit up for you on Sundays, but it’s not. They’re gone and no one remembers how many points you saved the team when that team is 4-12 three years later 

Hypothetical being the key word here because we don't know if Washington ever offered anything. They got the guy they were rumored to love at pick #15. 

Mac is unable to ever look at the big picture and essentially “see the board” or the team as a fluid thing. 

I understand what he was saying about how hard it is to move up in the 2nd without a 2nd rounder to deal but while draft capital is important we have 3 more years where we have cap space to fill in holes that may exist if we trade a future pick. Once we hit the 2021 draft, our GM needs to be acquiring future picks to fill in spots that we can’t fill in FA because Sam will be making $25 million.  

Maybe they like Jonathon harrison and didn’t need to move to get McCoy but how has there never been a single player that Mac aggressively targeted in his tenure as GM that he was willing to “overpay” for?  Could you imagine if he refused to part with a 2020 first rounder and Denver had moved up last year and took Sam?  Was a 2020 first THAT much more important then a couple second rounders?  

And if his strategy is to acquire more picks  how often has he ever traded down for a future pick?  He acquired a 5th this year which was great and then moved down again for no discernible reason. 

Its tough to think he has a grasp of how to manage the draft very well. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Macc is a terrible GM and this inability to trade back isnt a 2019 issue, it's been an issue throughout his time as the Jets GM. The Jets always are offered trash draft offers because Macc doesnt know how to negotiate a counter offer and then close on fair draft trades. Multiple times the Jets took who was considered the "best prospect in the draft", so if that is considered factual, then why is it that the Jets are never able to trade back with such awesome talent on the board? Why is it that Macc cant find 1 of the other 31 teams willing to give up fair value to have the opportunity to draft such top talent? It's because Macc isnt a draft trade negotiator. 

Many GM's will start out with asking for the world during a trade, Macc has to find that midway point where they're satisfied with his counter offer.  But he's not a good GM, hence why folks continue to think that it's about the offers coming in and never once thinking about Macc's inability to counter offer. 

It will be an upgrade when Macc is finally removed from that position that he was clearly never prepared for 

You would have been the first one complaining if he traded this pick for under-value. Ridiculous unless you knew what was being offered.

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

So, let’s say that Maccagnan makes that hypothetical trade with the Redskins, getting his clock cleaned on the value chart in the process, and then goes into the draft with those picks. Which draft haul would you prefer: 

As is:

1. Quinnen Williams

3a. Jachai Polite

3b. Chuma Edoga 

4. Trevon Wesco

5. Blake Cashman

6. Blessuan Austin 

Or (post-clock cleaning)

3c. Chuma Edoga, OT, USC

4. Trevon Wesco

5. Blake Cashman

This is why Maccagnan saying he couldn’t get “fair value” is a canard. The question isn’t about value for any one pick, it’s about how that return can improve the roster over the course of the rebuild. Clearly, the second draft better positions the Jets moving forward, even if you take some short-term hurt on the value chart. The first draft is fine if those 500 points you saved on the value chart we’re going to suit up for you on Sundays, but it’s not. They’re gone and no one remembers how many points you saved the team when that team is 4-12 three years later 

I don’t think the 2nd option positions us better for the future.

Mainly because I don’t think Burns is going to be some sort of dominant edgerusher and Greedy plays like a festering vagina.

I thought Bosa was easily the best edgerusher in this draft, then you had a drop off to a guy like Josh Allen, and then another drop off to a jumbled group of Burns, Sweat, Ferrell and Gary.

I know a lot of people aren’t psyched about the Quinnen pick, but at least he has a great chance to become a dominant interior DL and a key cog on this team for a decade. He’s also thankfully more of an athlete than guys we’ve picked in the past along the defensive line.

I’m also not nearly as convinced as many others that we’re totally f*cked for not having drafted a center. Harrison at least played at a competent level and I’m pretty sure the Jets will eventually bring in a vet like Wisniewski or Sullivan to push him in camp.

Overall, I’m pretty content with what was done in the offseason. 

• Upvote 1

As much as I wanted to move down, I can't really argue his....argument. Especially moving up in the second round. Just too hard with no pick. And that's fine, you did what you had to do to get a franchise QB. So you suffer for one year. It's worth it. 

I do feel like Mac looks for too much or almost the perfect trade sometimes, that's where he needs to get better. 

If Macc wins Executive of the Year again, he will be only the second executive in ththe history of the NFL to win the award at least twice. Bill Polian being the first. 

We could be talking about one of the greatest executives ever this time next year. How is there even a chance of that happening?

4 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

We got screwed the moment Justin Herbert decided he didn't want to come out this year.  If he'd have declared we would have gotten back everything we lost to the Colts.  But he didn't... and since I am an Oregon fan... I can live with that.  ?

Imagine, if you will, the trade possibilities if you had a top 10 pick going into the much anticipated 2018 draft with a young QB already in the fold.

7 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Raiders tried to trade back and get Ferrell later and the phone didn’t ring for them. Whatever offers the Jets were hearing were trash and then this board would have gone crazy at Mac for not getting enough. Plenty to criticize Mac about but this isn’t one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly.  Look I was a supporter of trading down but not for a big discount like it appears was the case

• Thumb Down 1

8 hours ago, nyjbuddy said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001029382/article/mike-maccagnan-explains-why-jets-didnt-trade-down

Leading up to and during draft weekend, no team was pegged as a more likely mover-and-shaker than the New York Jets.

With the third overall pick and no second-round selections thanks to their trade up for Sam Darnold in 2018, Gang Green was thought to be a prime candidate to either trade down from the top five or trade up from their third round pick.

Instead, the Jets stayed pat on Thursday night, selecting arguably the draft's top prospect in Alabama defensive tackle Quinnen Williams, and then failed to move into the second round on Friday evening. New York selected Florida edge rusher Jachai Polite with their original third-rounder and then traded up to grab USC tackle Chuma Edoga.

Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan explained to NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport on the "RapSheet and Friends" podcast this week why New York opted not to fly around the draft.

"It was never a situation where we were trying to get out of the third pick," Maccagnan told Rapoport. "We actually felt very comfortable being there. We said very publicly we were going to get a very good player at 3. But we went through our process in talking to teams.

"I think when we were sitting there with our situation, I think we looked at the possibility of trading back or trading out of the spot. But when we were on the clock and talking to teams, there was never really a trade offer that we felt was strong enough to make us move basically when it was all said and done. That being said, we were very happy to take what we felt was one of the top players in the draft at that spot (Quinnen Williams) and went forward with it."

There was a thought-slash-rumor out thereon Thursday afternoon that the Jets could strike a deal with the division Buffalo Bills to move down to No. 9. Buffalo was eyeing Houston defensive tackle Ed Oliver and the Jets and Raiders (No. 4) were rumored to want him. Maccagnan says he wouldn't have been opposed to trading with an AFC East foe.

"When you trade within the division, you want to make sure it's at least fair for both sides at minimum because you're going to be facing those players all the time," the Jets GM said. "I wouldn't necessarily rule out trading with someone in the division if it's a trade that works out for the team both in the short and long term."

The Jets did not trade down, and Buffalo eventually got its man when Oliver fell to No. 9.

In recent days, another report has emerged that the Jets were interested to trading into the second round to grab Georgia speedster Mecole Hardman, who was grabbed by the Kansas City Chiefs at No. 56.

Maccagnan admitted that New York was interested in moving into the second round, but wouldn't say for which players and cited the difficulty in trading into a round with no picks.

"I think sometimes if you have a pick within the round, it's a lot easier to move up in the round," Maccagnan added. "But if you're trying to get back into the second round and you don't have a second-round pick per se in that year's draft, it makes it a little more difficult. There's a lot of situations where we had talked to teams and quite a few scenarios where teams opted to not want to make a trade and felt good about the players on the board and took the player respectively. But that's part of the draft process you go through.

"In the end we never found a team that was going to be in a position to facilitate a trade with us. We sort of stayed put, kept our picks, kept our future picks and we felt we got some good players in the third round."

Maccagnan sounded pleased with his third-round haul despite Polite's and Edoga's boom-or-bust potential. The GM wasn't bothered by Polite's reported poor pre-draft process, telling Rapoport that Ravens legend Terrell Suggshad a terrible 40 when he was coming out of Arizona State. On Edoga, Maccagnan liked the offensive lineman's arm length and foot quickness and his flexibility to play right tackle, left tackle or swing into guard.

When asked about the positions he hasn't addressed in New York's high-spending offseason, namely the center position, Maccagnan insisted the Jets aren't done making moves. It's a long way 'til September after all.

"Between now and when we play our first game, we have quite a bit of time left. There's still some players out there in free agency. There's still going to be potential trades. There can still be players that come available in preseason, whether it's during preseason in trades or in final cuts," Maccagnan said. "We like the players we have [at center] right now, but if we can make the position more competitive, we're definitely going to do that."

Amid unconfirmed rumblings that Maccagnan's job is in jeopardy, the Jets GM appears satisfied with what he and his team have built in their five seasons in New York. If the players they acquired and drafted this offseason don't pan out in 2019, however, Maccagnan could be looking for work elsewhere come January, ruing the trades he didn't make or the players he didn't take.

MacCoffee's answers never EVER instill confidence that he knows what he was doing. He is awful.

8 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Raiders tried to trade back and get Ferrell later and the phone didn’t ring for them. Whatever offers the Jets were hearing were trash and then this board would have gone crazy at Mac for not getting enough. Plenty to criticize Mac about but this isn’t one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like there are two people on this board anyway that just can't seem to understand that.

13 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Well it all comes down to player evaluation right?  Quinnen Williams better be one hell of a lot better of a player than Oliver.

I wanted Oliver more than anybody and I'm not big on giving the benefit of the doubt. But as common sense ought to dictate, our myriad problems aren't because the 15-year college scout for an expansion team doesn't know how to evaluate talent. In his other capacities, whatever. The draft was all defensive line at the top so there's not even the question of valuation across positions. QW was the best or second best player in the draft according to everyone. Given the limited information I can't justify defaulting to Maccagnan got it wrong.

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

As is:

1. Quinnen Williams

3a. Jachai Polite

3b. Chuma Edoga 

4. Trevon Wesco

5. Blake Cashman

6. Blessuan Austin 

Or (post-clock cleaning)

3c. Chuma Edoga, OT, USC

4. Trevon Wesco

5. Blake Cashman

Your right that haul of players would be a great. I’d say the only way he is vindicated is if Q Williams turns into Suh or Arron Donald.

Personally I think he’s just Leonard Williams 2.0. Or is that Mo Wilkerson, Sheldon Richardson, Quentin Coples?

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Five years in, unfortunately, this is the only team that any man could have assembled. Restrained by cruel fate year after year to be both stuck in one draft slot but fortunate enough to have the best player in the draft fall to that draft slot, Maccagnan—just one mortal man—did what he could. Hark, you query, how could a player be both “the best player in the draft” and still generate no interest from teams drafting behind the Jets? A solid question, I suppose, but we have to give Mike Maccagnan the benefit of the doubt, for as we’ve seen, he’s a shrewd negotiator who knows very well the real value of talent. If Warren Buffet were to invest his fortune into cryptocurrencies and go bankrupt in five years, we would believe him when he said that owning a lot of digital currency was the best available way to allocate his resources, and we’d believe him. Granted, Mike Maccagnan has never built a Buffet-like fortune, but he did help scout college talent for the Houston Texans during a period where they went 55-96, so that’s kinda like building a fortune. The point is, when you look at the roster today, realize that no one—NO ONE—could have done a better, more courageous job of building it, because there was nothing else to be done. Nothing.

Coulda, shoulda, woulda 

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

There was no market at #3.  And, watching the Raiders take Ferrell, the Giants take Daniel Jones, etc. almost have me sighing in relief with what we did at #3.  Those two god-awful picks are the 2 exact reasons that the Jags got Josh Allen and the Bills got Ed Oliver.  Allen should have gone #4 (at worst #6) and then Oliver would have been a Jaguar.

With knucklehead moves like this there's no wonder we couldn't trade back from #3.  Heck, the Redskins didn't move up a single spot and got Haskins at #15. 

I would have taken 75 cents in a heartbeat.  We already paid just 75 cents for Darnold.  We could afford to take the hit. 

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I would have taken 75 cents in a heartbeat.  We already paid just 75 cents for Darnold.  We could afford to take the hit. 

It's not a dollar for 75 cents. It's a bill for change. That's all you get to know. Choose. These are tough assessments. The people who are in the best position to weigh the options lean very heavily on the chart. Which makes more sense than whatever thought process leads to 3x2 to go from 6 to 3, and anything to move from 3 to anywhere, are both good.

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

This is a truly brilliant post and should be pinned or stickied or whatever they call it and when anyone questions Mac trading back, anyone would just need to point “scoreboard” and end the discussion. Or drop the mic or whatever kids are doing these days. 

Well done, Sir. 

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, JetsFanatic said:

You would have been the first one complaining if he traded this pick for under-value. Ridiculous unless you knew what was being offered.

That’s a BINGO!

No, we just say bingo. 

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

Looks like there are two people on this board anyway that just can't seem to understand that.

Bingo. 

1 hour ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

I wanted Oliver more than anybody and I'm not big on giving the benefit of the doubt. But as common sense ought to dictate, our myriad problems aren't because the 15-year college scout for an expansion team doesn't know how to evaluate talent. In his other capacities, whatever. The draft was all defensive line at the top so there's not even the question of valuation across positions. QW was the best or second best player in the draft according to everyone. Given the limited information I can't justify defaulting to Maccagnan got it wrong.

In the end your job as a gm is to get it right as often as wrong and to occasionally get it really right with shrewd moves.   Hate to put the kind of expectations on what will be a good player in Q Williams but he has to be better than good, better than Leo Williams, at least as good and impact as mo wilk in his one or two good years.

This is the 3rd overall pick in the draft and the jets have drafted good but not great and non impact DTs for years.  It's as much about positional value as 'bpa' at this point imo.

We are going to have 3 'best players in the draft' on our D thus coming season, two DTs and a S.  The day that translates into a top 5 defense is the day I give Mac a break.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

In my mock draft I had Macc trading down twice, and all I received from the picks were swapping of 1st round picks and a 2nd for this year. All folks could do is whine abour how little I got in return for that 3rd pick, even when I explained that the value was in future drafts and was irrelevant to show in the mock. And it STILL wasnt good enough to stop the complaining over a "mock". 

In otherwords, im probably the last person to do what you said. 

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

In my mock draft I had Macc trading down twice, and all I received from the picks were swapping of 1st round picks and a 2nd for this year. All folks could do is whine abour how little I got in return for that 3rd pick, even when I explained that the value was in future drafts and was irrelevant to show in the mock. And it STILL wasnt good enough to stop the complaining over a "mock". 

In otherwords, im probably the last person to do what you said. 

Add in “the best QB prospect since Andrew Luck” and the best RB in football we should win 7 games...LOL

11 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

In the end your job as a gm is to get it right as often as wrong

The whole point is that it's not binary. You don't think high floor was a consideration with LWilliams and Adams? That where we are from a team building standpoint wasn't a consideration in upside vs mitigation of risk? That multiple things don't go into both of those, pointedly including job approval among the airplanes flying banners contingent?

Because if everything is that simple I am definitely not pro-Maccagnan. Since it isn't I can find lots of things to argue now that everybody is a deranged truther.

1 minute ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

The whole point is that it's not binary. You don't think high floor was a consideration with LWilliams and Adams? That where we are from a team building standpoint wasn't a consideration in upside vs mitigation of risk? That multiple things don't go into both of those, pointedly including job approval among the airplanes flying banners contingent?

Because if everything is that simple I am definitely not pro-Maccagnan. Since it isn't I can find lots of things to argue now that everybody is a deranged truther.

I resent this comment.  I am not a deranged truther.  I am simply deranged.

35 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

This is a truly brilliant post and should be pinned or stickied or whatever they call it and when anyone questions Mac trading back, anyone would just need to point “scoreboard” and end the discussion. Or drop the mic or whatever kids are doing these days. 

Well done, Sir.  

Scoreboard?  You think Macc apologists can just say "scoreboard" and call it a win?

No, that's not how this works.  Not when he has a 24-40 overall record and has proven he can't make a good draft day trade to save his life.  At some point you have to look at the body of work and realize we aren't getting the true "BPA" with these picks, and that our GM is an awful negotiator. 

5 straight years of getting schooled in the draft.  That's your "scoreboard". 

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Scoreboard?  You think Macc apologists can just say "scoreboard" and call it a win?

No, that's not how this works.  Not when he has a 24-40 overall record and has proven he can't make a good draft day trade to save his life.  At some point you have to look at the body of work and realize we aren't getting the true "BPA" with these picks, and that our GM is an awful negotiator. 

Of course there is value to be had in working the board but I don't think you really miss out on a whole lot if you just never trade. Even if it can be considered a discrete edge it still increases your variance.

4 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Of course there is value to be had in working the board but I don't think you really miss out on a whole lot if you just never trade. Even if it can be considered a discrete edge it still increases your variance. 

Fair.  I just don't think its good business to always be trading up like we do.  We've only traded down once I believe, back in 2015 from 70 down to 82.  And then we traded the picks we gained to move up again. 

If you're going to be stick and pick, stay that way.  Don't move picks to move up 1 slot, like we did for Bryce Petty. 

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Geezuz. 

THIS specific draft in THIS specific round. 

THIS year and the lack of a trade down in THIS first round. 

I’m neither defending nor indicting Mac for the last 5 years. 

I’m talking about one specific move, or rather non-move. 

"But when we were on the clock and talking to teams, there was never really a trade offer that we felt was strong enough to make us move basically when it was all said and done"

That is a quote from Macc. Right in that quote he says they got offers while on the clock but none strong enough to trade out of the pick. Can we please stop with the narrative that nobody was trying to trade up with the Jets? It's incorrect. Macc didn't have the nerve to accept an offer bc the only decent thing he's done is take the consensus best player after they fall to him in the 1st round. He is a passive, risk averse GM which goes against everything you need when you have a young franchise QB on a cheap contract. There is a very short window to take advantage of that. The GM needs to be very aggressive in putting pieces around him to make a run at a Super Bowl before you have to completely change your strategy when the QB gets his second contract. Get rid of this douche already.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Who are these “elite players” you speak of?

you dumbass  wouldnt recognize an elite player if he bit you on the ass

criticize all you like its what your good at, but you have absolutely no skill at recognizing a quality football player

youve proven that ad nauseum

4 minutes ago, billneftleberg said:

you dumbass  wouldnt recognize an elite player if he bit you on the ass

criticize all you like its what your good at, but you have absolutely no skill at recognizing a quality football player

youve proven that ad nauseum

NAME THE ELITE PLAYER BILL

3 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

I can agree with this.  I wanted Oliver, but I understand Williams.   It's not like he picked Clelin Ferrell at 3 or anything. 

51 minutes ago, choon328 said:

"But when we were on the clock and talking to teams, there was never really a trade offer that we felt was strong enough to make us move basically when it was all said and done"

That is a quote from Macc. Right in that quote he says they got offers while on the clock but none strong enough to trade out of the pick. Can we please stop with the narrative that nobody was trying to trade up with the Jets? It's incorrect. Macc didn't have the nerve to accept an offer bc the only decent thing he's done is take the consensus best player after they fall to him in the 1st round. He is a passive, risk averse GM which goes against everything you need when you have a young franchise QB on a cheap contract. There is a very short window to take advantage of that. The GM needs to be very aggressive in putting pieces around him to make a run at a Super Bowl before you have to completely change your strategy when the QB gets his second contract. Get rid of this douche already.

just because you get a subpar offer doesnt mean its of sufficient quality that you accept anything

i guess you think he should have accepted 3 5th round picks for number 3 overall

you have zero idea what he was offered or how the players in those spots were evaluated. none of us do Years ago I was one of several jets fans interviewed before the draft by ESPN, AND i WAS QUOTED AS SAYING IF I RAN THE JETS DRAFT I WOULD TRADE THE 3RD OVERALL PICK FOR THE NUMBER 4 OVERALL AND JOHNNY JOHNSON. 4 HOURS LATER THAT TRADE ACTUALLY HAPPENED. ESPN made a big deal of it, But as i said then it was a logical guess and no fan is qualified for more than that.

truth is youre not in the room so what do you know