1 hour ago, JiF said:

Being a handful = not wanting to stay at Florida.  He wouldnt listen to Mullen and Grantham who tried to convince him to stay another year because that was "the best thing for his career".  That turned into - he's a handful, the coaches didnt love him, he doesnt listen, the team didnt love him...all of this materialized when he wouldnt stay.

Coming out of the Fall camp, the word around campus was Polite had by far the best camp, worked the hardest, set the tone for the D and was the best player on the team.  7 players were suspended for the opener, Polite was a captain that game. 

Pure rumor b.s.  Not a word of it is true.  

Thats great and all but I'm more concerned with the getting fat before the combine thing.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tom Shane-All Jet Beat reporters are neophyte, lazy hacks. Also, Tom Shane- Here is what Cimini said that supports my agendas.    

Yeah, that's not true at all.  He was voted a team captain by his teammates for numerous games.  (they do it by games at UF under Mullen).  Grantham loved him and compared him to Ware and Houston nume

That first step is insane.  This was stuff Florida fans got used to.  He was soooo much fun to watch.  Just electric.  Like I said in another thread, when you saw him get at step and start bending the

1 hour ago, KRL said:

People do realize that its pathetic that Cimini (beat writer for over 20 years) needs to go someone else to
generate a story HE SHOULD KNOW, if its true

Exactly....

15 minutes ago, CTM said:

Thats great and all but I'm more concerned with the getting fat before the combine thing.

Ok, but he stated in multiple interviews that he was told that he had to put on 15-20 lbs in order to compete in the NFL. It seems that happened and he didn't adjust well or couldn't handle the extra weight. He also talked about how he tweaked his Hamstring 10 days before the combine (probably from the additional weight). 

I understand that these are excuses, but he was awesome at Florida... who knows but I think with this team you have to take chances on higher upside players with their lack of game changing talent. 

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

That he’s a pain in the ass not particularly beloved by teammates and coaches or some such

I don't know. Normally I would think guys like Polite are a lost cause and surefire busts, but in watching interviews with Polite I get the feeling he is a good person, and does care about football but just really immature. He has no off field issues, so I think there is a chance that he can blossom for the Jets with proper coaching, encouragement and mentoring by his new teammates. The talent on the field is very high level.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, JiF said:

For sure but it also aligns to the bad advice part that Mullen and Grantham tried to use to convince him to stay.  Granted, there is clearly a selfish component to that perspective from the coaches.  

I'm highly suspicious of the what happened leading up to the draft.  That's why I was critical of the pick but if there is any truth to his side of the story, it's comforting because what I watched, doesnt add up to the testing.  It's like Grantham said, watch the tape, he's not a 4.8 guy on the field.  He said he's just behind Ware and Houston as the highest twitch athletes he's coached. 

The key is going to be having the right people around him and the Jets should do what it takes to get those people around him, even when not in the building.

The one story that always stands out to be was a story about Bryan Thomas' first year as a pro.  Granted, he never amounted to much, but, the story goes that during his first year with the Jets, the majority of his meals were from McDonald's and other fast food joints.

Think about it.  So many of these kids have everything done for them, hand to foot, even in high school.  They go to a big program like Florida and they live in special dorms, have set schedules on when to eat, all of their meals are carefully planned and prepared etc. etc.  Every single need is taken care of.

Then, they come out to the real world and they literally don't know how to live.  So, in Thomas' case, he just went to McDonald's every day.  Certainly many if not most kids figure it out really fast or get the right people around them to help them figure it out.  But I'm just hoping that Polite showed up at the combine the way he did because he hadn't yet figured out how to live on his own and didn't have the right people around him.  The combine reaction hopefully serves as a huge wake up call for him.

What you hear about him as a player and leader at Florida makes no sense when compared to what you saw at the combine.

• Upvote 3
2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Bringing down RBs and QBs at 240 isn't the problem.  It is getting walked by tackles.  If he stays light he will probably end up a situational pass rusher, like Rex used Maybin.  No shame in that, but also not ideal.

Bruce Irvin played at around 240 and he was fantastic in the right defense.

3 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

Yeah...this Polite guy....he never plays hard.  Just a terrible pick.

I am going to re-post this clip again for posters who scrolled through it on the first page.

Granted, it's only one play.....but does this look like a kid who doesn't care and doesn't play hard?

If we had this kind of effort under Bowles we would have won more games. (Of course that means we probably wouldn't have drafted Sam...so Yay! Bowles!)

11 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

The key is going to be having the right people around him and the Jets should do what it takes to get those people around him, even when not in the building.

The one story that always stands out to be was a story about Bryan Thomas' first year as a pro.  Granted, he never amounted to much, but, the story goes that during his first year with the Jets, the majority of his meals were from McDonald's and other fast food joints.

Think about it.  So many of these kids have everything done for them, hand to foot, even in high school.  They go to a big program like Florida and they live in special dorms, have set schedules on when to eat, all of their meals are carefully planned and prepared etc. etc.  Every single need is taken care of.

Then, they come out to the real world and they literally don't know how to live.  So, in Thomas' case, he just went to McDonald's every day.  Certainly many if not most kids figure it out really fast or get the right people around them to help them figure it out.  But I'm just hoping that Polite showed up at the combine the way he did because he hadn't yet figured out how to live on his own and didn't have the right people around him.  The combine reaction hopefully serves as a huge wake up call for him.

What hear about him as a player and leader at Florida makes no sense when compared to what you saw at the combine.

Bryan Thomas was a rd 1 pick who stayed 10 years with the same team. He wasn't ed Reed but by Jets standards, that's a good pick 

Fwiw he came from University of Alabama Birmingham, the UAB Blazers

his pre-NFL nutrition may have also been McDonald's. 

3 hours ago, JiF said:

Being a handful = not wanting to stay at Florida.  He wouldnt listen to Mullen and Grantham who tried to convince him to stay another year because that was "the best thing for his career".  That turned into - he's a handful, the coaches didnt love him, he doesnt listen, the team didnt love him...all of this materialized when he wouldnt stay.

Coming out of the Fall camp, the word around campus was Polite had by far the best camp, worked the hardest, set the tone for the D and was the best player on the team.  7 players were suspended for the opener, Polite was a captain that game. 

Pure rumor b.s.  Not a word of it is true.  

This would be a great hot take video.

2 hours ago, Skeptable said:

Dude, Cimini shows in the Podcast that he doesn't know sh*t and Tony Pauline has an agenda against the Jets as being from NE... Every player in his mind was overdrafted... The podcast had okay points when they weren't just saying I had him at 120 and he was drafted at 92... blah blah blah... 

Isn't Pauline a Jets fan?

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, HelenOfTroy said:

If I ran into that prick Cimini I’d deck him with my purse, him and all the other smug reporters that love to repeat dirt they have no idea is true.

USC has been pro active for years now by amping up the academic assistance/tutoring program which focuses on a personalized, aggressive plan to allow athletes to graduate in three years and get on with their professional career.  

This approach may have been a factor in the huge spike in our athletes donating significant amounts of money to the university, and why they show up every chance they get to mentor the young ones.  Saban should champion this, while their athletic department may be well funded, the university itself is not.

I was on the 2nd paragraph before I realized it actually wasn't @T0mShane that wrote this.

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

if Polite and Edoga were perfect prospects the Jets don't draft them in rounds 3 and 4, respectively 

That's draft position 3A and 3B, but part me for correcting. We know from picks like this that the difference between 1st and 3rd rounders is off the field issues for the most part. 

• Upvote 1
35 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Bruce Irvin played at around 240 and he was fantastic in the right defense.

Didn't Bruce Irvin spend most of his time playing LB in a 4-3?  It's not quite the same thing as OLB for a 3-4 team or "EDGE."  Guys can certainly play at lighter weights, in certain schemes, but I doubt I am redoing my D for a 3rd round pick that bombed the combine. 

I checked, Irvin was 245 at the combine and I think they usually list him at 250 now.  Of course, he is 31 and it seems the Panthers and others have relied on him at DE in the 4-3.  The real question is what weight Polite has to be at to be fast.  The supposed cut off is 240.  Below that,  teams don't think you will hold up.  Polite came in at 258 and he was a slug.  If taking 10-15 lbs off, so be it.  If it is more like 25, it is probably going to be a problem. 

There is also the question of whether he is ever particularly fast.  Plenty of guys look fast in college and get to the NFL and seem slow.  I think Peter Warrick is the one that usually comes to mind.  I generally trust the stop watch more than people's eyes.  That is one reason why I have said Polite being so ridiculously slow actually helps him.  Watching highlights, nobody sees a 4.85 or 5.02 player, so it is easier to believe his excuses about the poor times.  4.75 and I'd probably just think he was full of sh*t.

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Didn't Bruce Irvin spend most of his time playing LB in a 4-3?  It's not quite the same thing as OLB for a 3-4 team or "EDGE."  Guys can certainly play at lighter weights, in certain schemes, but I doubt I am redoing my D for a 3rd round pick that bombed the combine. 

I checked, Irvin was 245 at the combine and I think they usually list him at 250 now.  Of course, he is 31 and it seems the Panthers and others have relied on him at DE in the 4-3.  The real question is what weight Polite has to be at to be fast.  The supposed cut off is 240.  Below that,  teams don't think you will hold up.  Polite came in at 258 and he was a slug.  If taking 10-15 lbs off, so be it.  If it is more like 25, it is probably going to be a problem. 

There is also the question of whether he is ever particularly fast.  Plenty of guys look fast in college and get to the NFL and seem slow.  I think Peter Warrick is the one that usually comes to mind.  I generally trust the stop watch more than people's eyes.  That is one reason why I have said Polite being so ridiculously slow actually helps him.  Watching highlights, nobody sees a 4.85 or 5.02 player, so it is easier to believe his excuses about the poor times.  4.75 and I'd probably just think he was full of sh*t.

Irvin played the LOLB position in Seattle's defense, which is more like what people understand a DE/LB tweener to be than what most 3/4 pass rushers actually do. You would platoon Polite with a safety there but it's not way off.

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Thanks, as I mentioned in a few other posts, that's just totally false.   

I agree.  I like the pick.  I was very happy with what we did on Day 2.  Picking Polite really surprised me, but in a good way.  We are never the team to take a chance on a talented kid who drops in the draft.  We got a 1st round talent in the 3rd.  No way of knowing if he will play to that level, but I love taking the chance.  This could be a home run if the kid has his head screwed on straight.

5 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Hasn't this been reported numerous times as Polite intentionally putting on weight based on some bad advice from his agent/handlers who thought NFL teams wanted to see an Edge rusher north of 255 lbs.?  The Jets should immediately get him on a path back to 240 and let him play at the weight that had no problem bringing down SEC running backs and sacking SEC quarterbacks.

Apparently they should have told Polite that he should be adding muscle, not weight, in the run up to the combine. If you watch him run the 40 at the combine, he has a bit of a gut. Next time, more veggies and protein, less White Castle. 

3 hours ago, Skeptable said:

Ok, but he stated in multiple interviews that he was told that he had to put on 15-20 lbs in order to compete in the NFL. It seems that happened and he didn't adjust well or couldn't handle the extra weight. He also talked about how he tweaked his Hamstring 10 days before the combine (probably from the additional weight). 

Perhaps I'm mistaken but I thought I read he was sloppy fat looking like he'd been sitting on the couch eating bon bons for 3 months

2 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Yes. He's the retard with the mustache losing his mind at the Kyle Brady pick in the draft blunders video.

Well in his defense, losing your mind over the selection of Brady over Sapp is hardly retarded

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Apparently they should have told Polite that he should be adding muscle, not weight, in the run up to the combine. If you watch him run the 40 at the combine, he has a bit of a gut. Next time, more veggies and protein, less White Castle. 

Exactly how stupid is this kid supposed to be?  Nothing against @JiF but even a Gator should know that he needed to add muscle, not fat.

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, WowOhWow said:

Cimini has a new podcast out and it's very good.  Highly recommend it.

One caveat - it's depressing as hell.  We are a very poorly run team.  Macc is terrible.

What's the name of the podcast?  I couldn't find anything when searching for "Rich Cimini".

6 hours ago, Skeptable said:

I understand that these are excuses, but he was awesome at Florida... who knows but I think with this team you have to take chances on higher upside players with their lack of game changing talent. 

He was awesome for one season at Florida.

9 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

My god.  I don't think I've ever seen someone almost bust up a play 6 yards in the backfield and then make the tackle 25 yards down the field.

LT.  Maybe Randy White as well.