Despite Stature, Jets Undrafted Free Agent Receiver Stands out on Game Days

JetNation

Dortch.jpg

As the names of undrafted free agents begin rolling in for the New York Jets, we’ll be taking the time to review as many of them as possible as extensively as possible, and one player that has jumped out right away is Wake Forest wide receiver Greg Dortch.

Undrafted perhaps due to his size (5′ 7” 173), the diminutive receiver would have almost certainly heard his name called during the draft if only he’d been a few inches taller and a few pounds heavier.  “I was talking to a scout from another team this week who was fawning over him like he was Wes Welker” was how New York Daily News reporter Manish Mehta responded to a question about which undrafted free agents fans should be keeping an eye on as a guest on JetNation radio.

Greg Dortch fields the draft class' highest receiving grade since 2017 from the slot – he's on our list of pass-catchers to watch for Day 2 of the #NFLDraft (via @PFF_Cam)https://t.co/KnJQBXYqI2 pic.twitter.com/CHEVFCcEpe

— Pro Football Focus (@PFF) April 26, 2019

Aside from the obvious (speed/quickness), Jets undrafted slot WR Greg Dortch consistently shows excellent hands for Wake Forest. pic.twitter.com/snG7eynFZp

— Glenn Naughton (@AceFan23) May 2, 2019

During his time at Wake Forest, Dortch accounted for over 30% of his team’s total yards as he racked up 1,800 yards and 17 touchdowns over the past two seasons as a receiver.  As a return man, Dortch added over 1,000 combined yards on kicks and punts, bringing a pair of punts all the way back for a score.

One would have to assume his primary competition for a roster spot will be Deontay Burnett when training camp opens up.

The post Despite Stature, Jets Undrafted Free Agent Receiver Stands out on Game Days appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
aLYHGxgbzBM

Click here to read the full story...

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Maxman said:

We will watch him have an amazing camp, make him the last cut and then cringe as New England picks him up.  :)

So true....

I don't think Burnett is his competition.  It sounds like he's in the running to be a specials returner.  That really pits him more against Cannon, no?

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

So true....

I don't think Burnett is his competition.  It sounds like he's in the running to be a specials returner.  That really pits him more against Cannon, no?

If he can hold onto the ball he'll win the job over Cannon.

1 minute ago, pdxgreen said:

If he can hold onto the ball he'll win the job over Cannon.

4 minutes ago, nycdan said:

So true....

Exactly 

10 minutes ago, Maxman said:

We will watch him have an amazing camp, make him the last cut and then cringe as New England picks him up.  :)

Well with Bowles yes, with Gase, he likes smaller WRs so hopefully that won't happen. Like you said when we embarrassingly could not find a role for Whitehead who showed greatness with Pats and Chargers. Of course they had real offenses compared to our fake version back then and hopefully that stops now with Darnold and Gase, but as we say "we shall see". 

8 minutes ago, nycdan said:

So true....

Maybe if he can make it on STs we can even use him for his speed on end around plays. We need someone for those type of plays and you really need both speed good hands, and even being smaller can help in those cases.

20 minutes ago, nycdan said:

So true....

True.  Cannon has no place on this roster.  None.  

He is dynamic.  Definitely could be an asset from day 1 in the return game and might get some snaps at WR in certain situations.  Looking forward to see how he matches up against NFL level competition.

56 minutes ago, themeangreenkillingmachine said:

He’s got lots of competition for returning kicks between the guy we signed from the giants and Ty Montgomery. Cannon I don’t even think deserves a mention. 

I think Momtgomery makes all these guys dispensable 

Isn't Josh Bellamy who we signed also a returner.

This kid looks exciting....but uphill battle for him.

5 hours ago, Maxman said:

And then he'll end up wanting to stick it to us every chance he gets because we were the ones who gave him his first opportunity (a la Danny Woodhead).

5 hours ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Well with Bowles yes, with Gase, he likes smaller WRs so hopefully that won't happen. Like you said when we embarrassingly could not find a role for Whitehead who showed greatness with Pats and Chargers. Of course they had real offenses compared to our fake version back then and hopefully that stops now with Darnold and Gase, but as we say "we shall see". 

Well Danny only rushed for like 160 yards in preseason game 4 so clearly he had no chance at making the roster. We cut him because of McKnoghts draft position. And admitted it. God we suck sometimes as an organization.

20 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

From what I can see, the guy looks legit.  Also that's the first video about a prospect that doesn't have that annoying "hype" music.  Loved it!

I honestly think his chance is probably at least 75% to make the roster unless he has forgotten how to catch punts. He will be competing against the Aussie and Cannon for the role.And god I hate that music most of the highlight videos have

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I honestly think his chance is probably at least 75% to make the roster unless he has forgotten how to catch punts. He will be competing against the Aussie and Cannon for the role.And god I hate that music most of the highlight videos have

I think the Aussie is  a RB and we need depth there.  It's possible both Dortch and the Aussie will make it.  Cannon can show himself to the door though.

6 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

6 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Cannon is making this team  in some way.  It may be on injured reserve or the practice squad but there is almost zero chance macagnan is cutting yet another draft pick so quick.  

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Isn't Josh Bellamy who we signed also a returner.

This kid looks exciting....but uphill battle for him.

Not sure if he’s ever returned kicks. The giants guy is Quadree Henderson. UDFA returner of the giants last year. Basically a clone of Greg Dortch. 

A lot of guys brought in here for a position (KR/PR) that has been halfway killed by rule changes

2 hours ago, JetBlue said:

I think the real sleeper is Jeff Smith from BC.  

Yup.

Tough player to really judge because he played with a really bad QB. The good news is that when you are a college WR playing with a bad QB you tend to go overlooked because you aren't playing in a offense putting up arcade game stats.

Put Smith, and his 4.34 speed/6.87 3 cone), on Oklahoma with Kyler Murray and he probably gets drafted pretty high. 

I think macc is evolving as a talent evaluator. 

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Yup.

Tough player to really judge because he played with a really bad QB. The good news is that when you are a college WR playing with a bad QB you tend to go overlooked because you aren't playing in a offense putting up arcade game stats.

Put Smith, and his 4.34 speed/6.87 3 cone), on Oklahoma with Kyler Murray and he probably gets drafted pretty high. 

I think macc is evolving as a talent evaluator. 

OMG, that is funny.

Archived