Jump to content

Rank the Jets drafts 2001-2017


WayneChrebet80

Recommended Posts

1. 2006 (Mangini/Tannenbaum): Ferguson, Mangold, Brad Smith

2. 2007 (Mangini/Tannenbaum): Revis and Harris 

3. 2001 (Bradway/Edwards): Santana Moss, LaMont Jordan, Kareem McKenzie, James Reed

4. 2004 (Bradway/Edwards): Vilma, Cotchery, Erik Coleman, Adrian Jones 

5. 2011 (Tannenbaum/Ryan): Wilkerson, Powell, Kerley

6. 2002 (Bradway/Edwards): Bryan Thomas, Jon McGraw, Chris Baker, Jonathan Goodwin 

7. 2013 (Idzik/Ryan): Sheldon Richardson, Brian Winters, Oday Aboushi, Tommy Bohanon,

1st Round Bust: Dee Milliner (Pick 9)

8. 2005 (Bradway/Edwards): Mike Nugent, Justin Milller, Kerry Rhodes, Sione Pouha 

1st Round Bust: Doug Jolley trade

9. 2017 (McCagnan/Bowles): Adams and Maye

10. 2009 (Tannenbaum/Ryan): Sanchez, Shonn Greene, Slauson

11. 2015: (McCagnan/Bowles): Leonard Williams

UDFA: Robby Anderson

Sent 12. 2016: (McCagnan/Bowles): Jordan Jenkins, Brandon Shell, Lac Edwards

Notable Busts: Darron Lee/Christian Hackenberg

13. 2014 (Idzik/Ryan): Quincy Enunwa

 Notable Busts:  Calvin Pryor/Jace Amaro

14. 2012 (Tannenbaum/Ryan): DeMario Davis

Notable Busts: Quinton Coples/Stephen Hill

15. 2008 (Mangini/Tannenbaum): Dustin Keller, Dwight Lowery

1st Round Bust: Vernon Gholston

16: 2010 (Tannenbaum/Ryan)

Notable Busts: Kyle Wilson/Vlad Ducasse

17. 2003 (Bradway/Edwards): Victor Hobson

1st Round Bust: DeWayne Robertson

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bad

38 minutes ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

1. 2006 (Mangini/Tannenbaum): Ferguson, Mangold, Brad Smith

2. 2007 (Mangini/Tannenbaum): Revis and Harris 

 

It's probably an unpopular opinion but I'd take Mangini back as a GM. He built a great roster that made Rex look good. If we had his roster with Sam it's a SB.

Edit: Just for anyone who thinks Tanny was making the moves. The dude was a pencil pusher who got run over by coaches; It was good under Mangini who did well outside Gholsten. ******* disaster under Rex

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, SayNoToDMC said:

Bad

It's probably an unpopular opinion but I'd take Mangini back as a GM. He built a great roster that made Rex look good. If we had his roster with Sam it's a SB.

Edit: Just for anyone who thinks Tanny was making the moves. The dude was a pencil pusher who got run over by coaches; It was good under Mangini who did well outside Gholsten. ******* disaster under Rex

The hit rate wasn’t really any better in those years. I give them credit for trading up to get Revis and Harris, but there were still a lot of bad picks in the three years he was here. That said acquiring 1 HOF and there other 10+ year starters is pretty good. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

That is an ugly recent history. It takes a good while to recover from that kind of consistently bad drafting.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Haven’t used a 1st round draft pick on an offensive position (non QB) since 2006 and only twice since 2001. It might be time to try something new. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What is a good percentage for the draft? 40%? Maybe 2 good starters and a contributor? 

 

The point is that if we were to pick a different organization, they may have a slightly better rate a couple of years, but overall, I would think several organizations hope for 2 to 3 solid starters at most and anything else is gravy.   

 

Getting Harris and Revis is a great haul particularly with a few picks.   The first Idzik draft (Sheldon) is not that bad considering it was a bad draft overall and it yielded 2 starters.   The milliner bust weighs it down.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, SayNoToDMC said:

Bad

It's probably an unpopular opinion but I'd take Mangini back as a GM. He built a great roster that made Rex look good. If we had his roster with Sam it's a SB.

Edit: Just for anyone who thinks Tanny was making the moves. The dude was a pencil pusher who got run over by coaches; It was good under Mangini who did well outside Gholsten. ******* disaster under Rex

I heard Mangini stole some of the Patriots draft board and that’s the only reason we winded up with a few stars.

A poster on here said it. Sounds a little off the wall but it IS the Jets involved so lol..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tannenbaum has been one of the worst GMs of all-time pre-and post-Mangini, so there's no need to pretend that Tannebaum was the catalyst behind the '06 and '07 draft hauls. It's a damn shame no team has the guts to hire Mangini in even a support role, but I guess you have to give Vegas their scalps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Tannenbaum has been one of the worst GMs of all-time pre-and post-Mangini, so there's no need to pretend that Tannebaum was the catalyst behind the '06 and '07 draft hauls. It's a damn shame no team has the guts to hire Mangini in even a support role, but I guess you have to give Vegas their scalps.

2009-2010 back to back AFC Championship appearances teams built by Tannenbaum

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Tannenbaum has been one of the worst GMs of all-time pre-and post-Mangini, so there's no need to pretend that Tannebaum was the catalyst behind the '06 and '07 draft hauls. It's a damn shame no team has the guts to hire Mangini in even a support role, but I guess you have to give Vegas their scalps.

Was it back to Tannenbaums fault in 08 when they whiffed completely? 

D'brick was a Quinton Williams/ Jamal Adam's pick , a high floor guy out the shoot but was never really elite in the sense of multiple all pros 

Mangold was a great player but came at the expense of losing Abraham and was a somewhat rare at the time 1st round center 

Revis was a fantastic pick and doninate player

I completely agree those were the best Jets drafts in recent memory but he blew 2008 and he blew 2009 in Cleveland. Interestingly enough he came away with another very good CB in 2010, but its hardly a resume that requires some kind of conspiracy to prevent an NFL team from taking a flyer on a coach in the front office

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

2009-2010 back to back AFC Championship appearances teams built by Tannenbaum

This is the way I look at it.  The GMs job is to build a winning football team.   I think the GM’s of today think that their job is to pick a first round draft pick that does not bust, or to pick a great player on a bad team.  The GM is supposed to put together, by hook or crook, a team that wins.  To think that they can do that without selecting the coaches to coach them and the scheme they use is also delusional.  

Tanenbaum had his faults, but the Jets of Woody’s first 10 years were one of the best franchises in the NFL, or at least above average.  It’s not like we show up at the AFCCG every year.  Being a GM is also about finding FAs and managing the roster.  The Jets have not necessarily drafted much worse than the Patriots statistically.  

The Jets have been a bottom dwelling team over the last 8 years.   It starts at the top.   We laugh at the Bills and their Johnson-like owner, but I actually see the Bills doing better.   The Browns have going from dumpster fire to drafting well with all of their acquired picks.  

There will be no easy victories, and I think this year’s schedule could be Mac’s undoing.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, CTM said:

Was it back to Tannenbaums fault in 08 when they whiffed completely? 

D'brick was a Quinton Williams/ Jamal Adam's pick , a high floor guy out the shoot but was never really elite in the sense of multiple all pros 

Mangold was a great player but came at the expense of losing Abraham and was a somewhat rare at the time 1st round center 

Revis was a fantastic pick and doninate player

I completely agree those were the best Jets drafts in recent memory but he blew 2008 and he blew 2009 in Cleveland. Interestingly enough he came away with another very good CB in 2010, but its hardly a resume that requires some kind of conspiracy to prevent an NFL team from taking a flyer on a coach in the front office

You’ll remember that in 2009, the Browns GM (Kokinis) had a nervous breakdown and had to be escorted out of the facility, after which they hired Holmgren, who came in and kneecapped everyone in the organization so he could become coach and GM. As for 2008, Gholston clearly sucked, but Keller and Lowery played for a long time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You’ll remember that in 2009, the Browns GM (Kokinis) had a nervous breakdown and had to be escorted out of the facility, after which they hired Holmgren, who came in and kneecapped everyone in the organization so he could become coach and GM. As for 2008, Gholston clearly sucked, but Keller and Lowery played for a long time.

LMAO KELLER AND LOWERY 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

 

2. 2007 (Mangini/Tannenbaum): Revis and Harris 

This is evidence for the quality over quantity argument.  We had 4 picks that year.  4 PICKS!!!  Two of them became cornerstones of the Jets D for a decade, one being the first or second best defender the Jets franchise has ever had.

We should not have traded back in Round 4 this year.  Day 3 wasn't great.  Could have had CB Julian Love and a WR instead of the TE, ILB, injured CB.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, cant wait said:

LMAO KELLER AND LOWERY 

The combined receiving production of the eight skill position players Mike Maccagnan has drafted in five years:

153 catches, 1,808 yards, 8 TDs

 

Dustin Keller receiving production, five years:

241 catches, 2,876 yards, 17 TDs

------------------------------------------------

Jamal Adams, through two seasons:

1 INT, 18 passes defensed, 4 FF

 

Dwight Lowery, through two seasons:

4 INT, 25 passes defensed, 5 FF

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

\

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

The combined receiving production of the eight skill position players Mike Maccagnan has drafted in five years:

153 catches, 1,808 yards, 8 TDs

 

Dustin Keller receiving production, five years:

241 catches, 2,876 yards, 17 TDs

------------------------------------------------

Jamal Adams, through two seasons:

1 INT, 18 passes defensed, 4 FF

 

Dwight Lowery, through two seasons:

4 INT, 25 passes defensed, 5 FF

 

Keller was a 1st round TE and you are touting < 50 catches,  560 yards and 3 TD a year production?

By that criteria Herndon was the best pick in history seeing as how he basically matched those averages as a 4th rd rookie.

You shameless biased boob

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You’ll remember that in 2009, the Browns GM (Kokinis) had a nervous breakdown and had to be escorted out of the facility, after which they hired Holmgren, who came in and kneecapped everyone in the organization so he could become coach and GM. As for 2008, Gholston clearly sucked, but Keller and Lowery played for a long time.

You want to die on the Mangini and Idzik hill have at it. Both guys sucked

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The combined receiving production of the eight skill position players Mike Maccagnan has drafted in five years:

153 catches, 1,808 yards, 8 TDs

 

Dustin Keller receiving production, five years:

241 catches, 2,876 yards, 17 TDs

------------------------------------------------

Jamal Adams, through two seasons:

1 INT, 18 passes defensed, 4 FF

 

Dwight Lowery, through two seasons:

4 INT, 25 passes defensed, 5 FF

 

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA KELLER AND LOWERYA3AD59F4-8FEB-4DF4-AA1F-1C41404D3AD4.gif.09165d43bc043c96d1e03322fe7ca4b0.gif

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, CTM said:

\

Keller was a 1st round TE and you are touting < 50 catches,  560 yards and 3 TD a year production?

By that criteria Herndon was the best pick in history seeing as how he basically matched those averages as a 4th rd rookie.

You shameless biased boob

what else do you expect from a guy who wants to trade the jets all-pro safety for solomon F thomas?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, CTM said:

\

Keller was a 1st round TE and you are touting < 50 catches,  560 yards and 3 TD a year production?

By that criteria Herndon was the best pick in history seeing as how he basically matched those averages as a 4th rd rookie.

You shameless biased boob

1. Keller only played half a season in his final year, so that average is skewed. 

2. The poster I was replying to said "LMAO KELLER..."

3. Check out those Jamal Adams numbers compared to Dwight Lowery. My God. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, CTM said:

You want to die on the Mangini and Idzik hill have at it. Both guys sucked

Jets fans hate those guys because they were smart men. Jets fans hate smart people and embrace idiots. Can't get enough of stupid. They formed cults around Rex and Herm and wouldn't be shaken. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Jets fans hated Mangini and Idzik because they were smart men. Jets fans hate smart people and embrace idiots. Can't get enough of stupid. They formed cults around Rex and Herm and wouldn't be shaken. 

LMAO IDZIK

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

1. Keller only played half a season in his final year, so that average is skewed. 

2. The poster I was replying to said "LMAO KELLER..."

3. Check out those Jamal Adams numbers compared to Dwight Lowery. My God. 

Jamal Adams sucks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, cant wait said:

LMAO KELLER AND LOWERY 

Dwight Lowery had more career touchdowns than Devin Smith, Charone Peake, Ardarius Stewart, Chad Hansen, Jordan Leggett and Trenton Cannon.  I think he had the same as all of them combined, which equals Herndon's output.  He had more sacks than Darron Lee and more career interceptions than Maccagnan's entire draft class.  All five years, and it is not even close.  Six more interceptions than all of them combined.  The difference is more than the total by our 2 "safeties for the decade." Herndon and McGuire are the only two players drafted by Maccagnan with more career yardage (rushing and receiving combined) than Lowery's 317 INT return yards. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

Dwight Lowery had more career touchdowns than Devin Smith, Charone Peake, Ardarius Stewart, Chad Hansen, Jordan Leggett and Trenton Cannon.  I think he had the same as all of them combined, which equals Herndon's output.  He had more sacks than Darron Lee and more career interceptions than Maccagnan's entire draft class.  All five years, and it is not even close.  Six more interceptions.  The difference is more than the total by our 2 "safeties for the decade." 

LOL right that’s why he played a whopping 3 years here

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Jets fans hate those guys because they were smart men. Jets fans hate smart people and embrace idiots. Can't get enough of stupid. They formed cults around Rex and Herm and wouldn't be shaken. 

Well I can't disagree with the second point. Not so sure I'd categorize Mangini and Idzik as smart men, but certainly not the meathead, quasi alpha male types many are drawn to

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.


×
×
  • Create New...