Vikings used $75,000 bonus to keep receiver Jeff Badet from the Jets

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/vikings-used-dollar75000-bonus-to-keep-receiver-jeff-badet-from-the-jets/ar-AAATM7h?ocid=spartanntpVikings used $75,000 bonus to keep receiver Jeff Badet from the Jets

The Vikings don’t have a clear-cut No. 3 receiver behind Stefon Diggs and Adam Thielen. Jeff Badet possibly could be that guy.

Chris Tomasson of the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports that, earlier this year, the Vikings gave Badet a $75,000 signing bonus to keep the 2018 practice-squad player away from the Jets. That would seem to suggest that Badet has an inside track at a 53-man roster spot. The question is whether he has an inside track to the first spot on the depth chart behind Diggs and Thielen.

Badet told Tomasson that the Vikings “let out a little bit” of cash to keep Badet from joining the Jets, who wanted someone who could match the speed and skill of Robby Anderson. Badet was prepared to make the jump, until the Vikings stepped up.

Now, Badet says he’s ready to step up.

“Night and day,’’ Badet said regarding the difference between last year and this year. “My confidence level is up. I got a chance to go against Xavier Rhodes, Trae Waynes and [Mackensie Alexander] every day on the practice squad.”

Badet attended Friday’s rookie minicamp practice, but he has a groin injury. He’s expected to be ready to go with OTAs commence on May 21.

After three years at Kentucky, Badet transferred to Oklahoma, because he wanted to play with Baker Mayfield. Uninvited to the Scouting Combine, Badet ran the 40-yard dash in 4.27 seconds at the Oklahoma Pro Day in 2018.

Badet has said he’s the fastest guy on the Vikings. Of course, that only takes a player so far. After all, Troy Williamson was fast, too.

27 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

More Macc magic, we over paid Practice squad players and teams still took them.

Macc is in Bowles territory now with me, it needs to be his last pre-season.

Not trying to defend Mac , my guess is you are referring to the center taken bye Denver. The young man gambled on a roster spot and a chance to start. Don’t under estimate the Bowles/Bates affect in this decision. Just saying 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Bocajetfan said:

Not trying to defend Mac , my guess is you are referring to the center taken bye Denver. The young man gambled on a roster spot and a chance to start. Don’t under estimate the Bowles/Bates affect in this decision. Just saying 

Fair point, but it shows how bad the Jets organisation was at that point.

I still think Macc needs to go, and the power struggle is on in Florham Park. Mostly down to the stupid way the Jets set up their structure, where the Head Coach isn’t answerable to the GM. 

1 hour ago, BurnleyJet said:

Fair point, but it shows how bad the Jets organisation was at that point.

I still think Macc needs to go, and the power struggle is on in Florham Park. Mostly down to the stupid way the Jets set up their structure, where the Head Coach isn’t answerable to the GM. 

Plenty for fans to be down on Mac for. Just trying to be fair. The move to scup the kid and pay him was a good move just not enough too get him too stay. He saw an opportunity and took it. Not sure how a roster spot worked but most likely felt with Long having issues he should have been elevated and it wasn’t happening.

7 hours ago, jgb said:

Cousins played well last year probably his most efficient season ever

He does efficiency well, it's winning that he struggles with. Zero game winning drives in an 8-7-1 season. Sam had one in a four win year. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

If you look at many of the top QBs in the NFL, many were picked by GMs who were later fired.  

The model for Darnold to stay away from is Matt Stafford-FQB ability, but never surrounded by a good coach or team.  

To pick a good QB, teams are typically bad.  The GMs picking are often the ones who made the teams bad.  Once the team has the good QB, the pressure is on to surround the QB with good players.  

By October, even the Johnsons will be smart enough to see that Mac can’t build a team for Darnold.  Much of the damage was done before Darnold arrived.  Mac will also not get away with his maxing out the contract game with Darnold.  He need to be extended before year 5 if not year 4.  

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Efficiency wins championships? No! But dayyyyyyyyum that sh*t pays well!!!!!

If not winning a championship means a player is trash then the Jets have never had a good player since 1969. 

Kirk is settling in. Defillipo seems to have been overpromoted. Vikes OL was atrocious.  

Is he overpaid? Yep. But terrible? Come on now.

14 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

More Macc magic, we over paid Practice squad players and teams still took them.

Macc is in Bowles territory now with me, it needs to be his last pre-season.

lol  This is what did it huh?  The final straw!! 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, BurnleyJet said:

No, just pointing out the obvious. Do you want him as your GM, I know I don’t.

Not tired of the Macc sucks subject yet huh?  would it have been Macc magic if we signed this training camp fodder of a player? 

Did anyone know about this Badet guy before this thread?  Does he even matter in the slightest?  

It's a deadspin article on top of it. They have been pushing the Minny screws the Jets narrative for over a year.  Oh no!!! We lost Badet to the Vikes. Is this even worth the article to you? 

1 minute ago, GREENBEAN said:

Not tired of the Macc sucks subject yet huh?  would it have been Macc magic if we signed this training camp fodder of a player? 

Did anyone know about this Badet guy before this thread?  Does he even matter in the slightest?  

It's a deadspin article on top of it. They have been pushing the Minny screws the Jets narrative for over a year.  Oh no!!! We lost Badet to the Vikes. Is this even worth the article to you? 

Sorry Bean, I Love The Jets, but I genuinely don’t like M.M, he’s not a good GM.

His drafting outside of round one is terrible. His BAP philosophy is flawed, since all position groups aren’t created equal. 

He need to factor in that Q.B, Edge, LT, WR, CB are worth more to teams than D.T, S.S. 

He seem blind to this, he’s reputation affects players and agents opinion of him and rightly so. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

20 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Sorry Bean, I Love The Jets, but I genuinely don’t like M.M, he’s not a good GM.

His drafting outside of round one is terrible. His BAP philosophy is flawed, since all position groups aren’t created equal. 

He need to factor in that Q.B, Edge, LT, WR, CB are worth more to teams than D.T, S.S. 

He seem blind to this, he’s reputation affects players and agents opinion of him and rightly so. 

I hear ya. I don't have the same level of issue with Macc that many others do around here, but I can't disagree with this. I am one who believes in BAP, but to a degree. So I do have a problem with ignoring a dire need for BAP. I was just poking at the choice of topics for the original comment you made. Macc Magic and all that.  Badet lol 

Interestingly, what I can say is that i do see a logic behind what we may have been doing this year. Not sure if it's accurate, but try this. The 2019 draft was a very strong defensive draft by all accounts. Even the best offensive players would not have been as highly considered in years past. Take the OL as a particular position group to discuss. Many say Jonah Williams, Lindsrom, Dillard etc may not even have been 1st rdrs in drafts with more of an offensive tilt or even more balanced. Next years draft is supposed to be much stronger in OL and WR's from what I've seen so far. there are some guys here who know this stuff pretty well. 

Knowing that we are not going to fix everything in one season, could an argument not be made that this was the year to stock up on defensive talent and grab the offensive guys when the stock is thoroughly replenished? Taking the available offensive guys this year could be like going to a BBQ restaurant and ordering the salad. hmmm.... or something like that. 

As we dive into more of an analytic based philosophy, we drafted 4 out of 6 guys on D this year in a draft that was extremely heavy with defensive talent. 

Believe me, I was very frustrated with this years draft. I did a much deeper talent eval than ever before in my life and had some pretty strong ideas for what we should be doing. Macc went against everything I would have done outside of Chuma and Wesco. But it could be a very strong philosophy to buy the best of what the draft is strongest in rather than reach for need with players that are overvalued because of the weakness of their position. That raises the potential for busts when you do it that way. Which is the whole argument for BAP in a nutshell really.  

Just a thought.  Figured I'd lay it out while I wait for my call of duty to update on my PS4.  lol   What do ya think? 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, jgb said:

If not winning a championship means a player is trash then the Jets have never had a good player since 1969. 

Kirk is settling in. Defillipo seems to have been overpromoted. Vikes OL was atrocious.  

Exactly the jets have never had a good QB since 1969

11 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I hear ya. I don't have the same level of issue with Macc that many others do around here, but I can't disagree with this. I am one who believes in BAP, but to a degree. So I do have a problem with ignoring a dire need for BAP. I was just poking at the choice of topics for the original comment you made. Macc Magic and all that.  Badet lol 

Interestingly, what I can say is that i do see a logic behind what we may have been doing this year. Not sure if it's accurate, but try this. The 2019 draft was a very strong defensive draft by all accounts. Even the best offensive players would not have been as highly considered in years past. Take the OL as a particular position group to discuss. Many say Jonah Williams, Lindsrom, Dillard etc may not even have been 1st rdrs in drafts with more of an offensive tilt or even more balanced. Next years draft is supposed to be much stronger in OL and WR's from what I've seen so far. there are some guys here who know this stuff pretty well. 

Knowing that we are not going to fix everything in one season, could an argument not be made that this was the year to stock up on defensive talent and grab the offensive guys when the stock is thoroughly replenished? Taking the available offensive guys this year could be like going to a BBQ restaurant and ordering the salad. hmmm.... or something like that. 

As we dive into more of an analytic based philosophy, we drafted 4 out of 6 guys on D this year in a draft that was extremely heavy with defensive talent. 

Believe me, I was very frustrated with this years draft. I did a much deeper talent eval than ever before in my life and had some pretty strong ideas for what we should be doing. Macc went against everything I would have done outside of Chuma and Wesco. But it could be a very strong philosophy to buy the best of what the draft is strongest in rather than reach for need with players that are overvalued because of the weakness of their position. That raises the potential for busts when you do it that way. Which is the whole argument for BAP in a nutshell really.  

Just a thought.  Figured I'd lay it out while I wait for my call of duty to update on my PS4.  lol   What do ya think? 

I think we all want the same thing, it’s just sometimes we come at it from a different angle. None of us know what he may or may not have been offered for the #3rd pick?

I get that Q is rated very highly, but that guy seems scared to make trades in the early rounds. He seems to do it willy nilly in the later rounds.

It’s about getting value in the rounds after round one. Macc and his team seems to do a terrible job of that. Especially in the key picks from round 2 through 4.

Either way it’s not good, I hoping for once Polite and Chuma are home runs, history says not but here’s hoping.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, jgb said:

Kirk Cousins money needs to get you in the playoffs. If it doesn’t, that result is terrible because you overpaid. Nice fantasy football piece 

• Upvote 2