C Corey Linsley - Possible June 1st cut/trade?

Jetsfan80

The Packers just drafted Mississippi State Center Elgton Jenkins with a 2nd round pick (# 44 overall).  Could this mean C Corey Linsley (27) will come available? 

If cut after June 1st, Linsley's dead cap hit drops from $5M to $3M, and the cap savings go up from $3.2M to $5.2M.  The Packers currently only have about $9M in cap space, and are projected to have only $18M in 2020.  Linsley's contract expires after 2020.  Linsley also graded out as the # 6 C in the NFL per PFF last season. 

Its possible Linsley isn't the Packer OL who ends up on the chopping block, but if not, there doesn't seem to be a place for Jenkins currently.  29-year old LG Lane Taylor (# 26 G per PFF) would be an option, but his cap savings would only amount to $3.4M after June 1, with a $2.1M dead cap hit. 

Seems too good a guy to cut, especially as the rookie hasn't even put pads on yet.

More likely the rookie gets some play as a guard with the plan to move to center somewhere down the line.

7 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

I wouldn't trade a pick..... but I would sign him if cut loose tpo compete. I'm OK with seeing how Harrison looks in camp.

I don't know a lot of about the guy but if he plays at anywhere near the level PFF has him ranked (#6 C in the NFL) and is 27 years old - I would absolutely give up a pick for him - especially if you're only paying him $5mm.

Heck would give up a pick as early as a 3rd rounder for that. 

6 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Seems too good a guy to cut, especially as the rookie hasn't even put pads on yet.

More likely the rookie gets some play as a guard with the plan to move to center somewhere down the line.

Packers have  cap issues heading into next year. They won't be quick to cut/trade Linsley but if Jenkins looks good it could be a place they could free up some cap space to make another move or for next year. 

14 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Perhaps, but the Packers are in pretty dire cap shape because of all their mega-contracts. 

Rodgers counts $26.5M against the cap this year, $32.6M next year.  Davante Adams counts $10.9M this year, $16.6M next year.  They just signed EDGE guys Za'Darius Smith and Preston Smith to big deals.    They're going to have to pay big money to LT David Bakhtiari soon, as his contract expires after 2020.  They have a bunch of other starters (Bryan Bulaga, Kenny Clark, Aaron Jones, Jimmy Graham, Mike Daniels, Kyler Fackrell, Kevin King, Josh Jones, Mason Crosby) hitting free agency either this year or next. 

Not saying its a lock they look to move Linsley, only that he makes the most sense from a financial sense. 

40 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The Packers just drafted Mississippi State Center Elgton Jenkins with a 2nd round pick (# 44 overall).  Could this mean C Corey Linsley (27) will come available? 

If cut after June 1st, Linsley's dead cap hit drops from $5M to $3M, and the cap savings go up from $3.2M to $5.2M.  The Packers currently only have about $9M in cap space, and are projected to have only $18M in 2020.  Linsley's contract expires after 2020.  Linsley also graded out as the # 6 C in the NFL per PFF last season. 

Its possible Linsley isn't the Packer OL who ends up on the chopping block, but if not, there doesn't seem to be a place for Jenkins currently.  29-year old LG Lane Taylor (# 26 G per PFF) would be an option, but his cap savings would only amount to $3.4M after June 1, with a $2.1M dead cap hit. 

Good stuff here 80.

Linsely sounds like someone the Jets could really use. I really hoped we could've had a chance to get Jenkins in the draft. I can't see the Packers taking him that high and sitting him, so I can see them looking to make a deal with someone for the veteran.  

Maybe we can offer them our old standby trade chip, Darron Lee?

Thinking about it some more, how you can expect the Packers to trade a good OL who makes fair money when they will be continually in contention with Rodgers’ contract and a good OL is absolutely critical to competing?  I agree it would be more efficient for them to trade Linsley, but if someone gets hurt they are up the creek?

So the Packers are supposed to trade Linsley who is one of 5 OL but the Jets are supposed to keep Leo, Henry, McClendon, Shepherd, Foley, and Quinnen (plus the other guys) for their 3 man DL?

Enough with this fantasy about the Packers "getting rid" of Linsley. It's not happening. He's one of the best centers in the NFC. They drafted Jenkins to compete for a job at guard and to be a backup center. He can even play tackle if needed. The Packers are in win-now mode -- what possible reason, short of a bout of insanity, would cause them to cut one of their best players? And the guy who hands off to Rodgers, no less. 

The best the Jets are going to do to upgrade C this year is to sign Wisniewski and have him compete with Jon Toth.

The only rational reason the Jets did not reach for guys like Gaillard and Michael Jordan is that they believed Jon Toth was their secret weapon.  Otherwise drafting another TE and a small LB with bad shoulders was just looney.  

Actually, if Linsley is that good, and the Packers have too many OL, offer them a second round pick.  All the decent centers in recent years go in the first 2 rounds of the Draft. 

9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'd explore a trade for him rather than hope he gets released, then hope he chooses the Jets. His contract is a fixed cost through 2020. The Packers probably would take a 6th to 7th rd pick for him to shed his salary.

2019 Yearly Cash: $6,150,000

2020 Yearly Cash: $8,500,000

9 hours ago, jamesr said:

Agreed. So jet fans are so use of Mac neglecting the OL, they don’t realize a lot of teams not only value the OL and plug solid starters all across the line, they also value “quality depth”  A word mac has never used about the OL because he doesn’t even to fill “ quality starters “ on the OL ha

1 hour ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Unless it’s a top 10 pick, They are not that valuable if Mac is making the picks ? we need a center bad Thai 

I wanted us to sign UDFA C/G Tyler Guathier out of Miami but Beliprick beat us to him for big UDFA money.

32 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Is he really THAT expensive at $5M if he’s a Top 10 Center according to PFF? Seems odd to try to replace him with a premium pick in Round 2 if he’s that good.

Agreed teams DON'T cut top 10 O linemen.

10 hours ago, varjet said:

Mac could basically save this job if he can pull something like this off.  

Linsley would be worth a decent draft pick plus potentially one of our surplus defenders.  

We'll even throw in Darron Lee to sweeten the offer!

5 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

let me guess you wanted to take a center in the 1st-2nd round but don't want to part with a 5th rounder for a 27 year old starting caliber center?

The Seahawks paid a 2nd round pick and player for 5th year option Sheldon. 

If you want to make GB gamble on Elgton and save cap space, you will have to tempt them. 

Every single Jet fan on this board wanted us to trade back into the 2nd round for an unknown college center but now we don't want to trade our 2020 second rounder for a veteran center ranked 6th in the NFL who's 27 years old & could be the rock Sam needs throughout his rookie contract for a measley 5 million a year when we're 30 million under the cap? 

I'll never understand this fan base. TRADE DOWN...TRADE DOWN...uh, no one is giving up much....WHO CARES...TAKE ANYTHING! 

This offseason would be a SLAM DUNK if they could obtain a Center like Lindsey. Harrison & Toth as depth at Center and both Guard spots. 

Next year Jets could just concentrate on LT, CB & WR.

Archived