2018 Jets Defense

• 20.8 points per game (23rd)
  • 299.2 yard per game (29th)
  • 197.8 pass yards per game (25th)
  • 101.4 rush yards per game (26th)

1. 24th in the league on giving up first downs (278 being the least, 419 being the most)
    • 10th most passing yards on first down.
    •  12th most rushing yards on first down.
    • The Jets had the second best third down percentage in the league, with 33.8% conversion (the league average 39.1) This was a bright spot of a bad ranking defense. 
      • The jets defense gave up the 6th least penalties with 95. 
      • The least amount was 85, the most were 136
  2.   4th most points in 2018. 27.6 points per game (29.2 highest, 17.7 lowest)
    • 7th most rushing yards. 132.1 yards per game (154.9 highest, 80 lowest)
    • 9th most passing yards. 254.1 yards per game (275.9 highest, 179.2 lowest)

2018 Top 10 Tackle Leaders

1. Jamal Adams 86
  2. Avery Williamson 80
  3. Buster Skrine 52
  4. Morris Claiborne 44
  5. Darren Lee 43
  6. Daryl Roberts 41
  7. Trumaine Johnson 35
  8. Marcus Maye 30
  9. Leo Williams 27
  10. Neville Hewitt 26

Getting back guys back from injury like Marcus Maye and Trumaine Johnson should be an improvement. Daryl Roberts had strong numbers not starting the whole season as well, I think he will be a good replacement for Mo Claiborne, or good competition if he is brought back.  

Adding guys in free agency is huge. Maybe just only one guy, C.J Mosley. I understand not wanting to pay a middle line backer 17 per year, but with his ability to stop the run, and add pressure to the quarter back will make everyone around him better. Leo Williams and Jordan Jenkins will see a lot more action with opponents trying to scheme around Mosley. Brian Poole is a fine replacement for Buster Skrine, definitely a Gregg Williams pick, who's film has over 10 blitzes out of nickel packages. 

Q.Williams and Jachai Polite will bring instant help with run stopping and pressure on the quarterback. Henry Anderson played well, but 3 of his 7 sacks came in one game and out of the 22 solo tackles, only 2 of them were run stuffs. 

I know there is a lot of hype around our defense with new coaching and some of these additions. We are still far away in my opinion. In 2018 we were ranked the 25th total defense, 2019 maybe we finish in the better half in the league around 15th. For us to do this or better we would need these improvements in 2019 :

1. Jamal Adams and CJ Mosley to return to the pro bowl.
  2. Leo Williams double digit sacks
  3. Q.Williams bring half the hype he is getting
  4. Tru Johnson lead the team in interceptions with 6 (4 last year with 10 games played)
  5.  2 outside linebackers with 7 or more sacks. 
  6. Marcus Maye play a full season
  7. D.Jones/P.Nickerson take the 3 or 4 spot in corner back depth
  8. Henry Anderson and Copeland put up 2018 numbers

• Upvote 2

CJ Mosley brings an average of about 70-80 solo tackles... And is the play caller of the Def... Last year Lee was the play caller and they had to give that to Williamson which is not his shtick. Mosley, Williamson, Jenkins, Polite/Copeland...

Lee was out of position and always chasing, never could understand if it was his pre-read or just late diagnosing the play... and also for whatever reason Bowles/ Rodgers had the LBs line-up so close to the d-line that RBs would hit the LBs and always get 2-3 more yards on every play.  This is not something that Gregg Williams will allow. 

Just having these two changes will vastly improve the defense. Add to that an upgrade to McLendon and possibly a fast edge rusher. This is going to be a vastly different team. 

Another note... Williamson last year seemed to be the only player trying to strip the ball. Gregg Williams has already been seen practicing that and Mosley comes from a Def where they emphasize that.

So much is made of not having a 2nd CB at the moment... I think that will be resolved by August... Other than that this defense is relatively loaded.  

• Upvote 1

The 2018 Jets defense is just sound reinforcement as to why Toilet got canned. Ever since Toilet took over our defense plummeted to the bottom of all the major statistics. Mind you Todd Bowles was a defensive coordinator. At the very least he should have been able to get the defensive house in order and he couldn't even do that. Even Rex at his very worst always managed to have top defense.

But imo this is not a big deal. The defense still has the talent needed to be top 5. They just need a coach and not some slug that happens to be best friends with the HC. My belief is this defense will immediately get to top 10 this season assuming they can add another veteran cornerback.

26 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Todd Bowles is gone, we'll be a lot better.  It's ok to be optimistic again

I agree that Bowles lack of instilling discipline - especially on defense - led to a lot of bad tackling and guys that didn't hold the edge. I think that infuriated me more than missed tackles was a LB letting a QB or RB get outside contain. No excuse for that except that Bowles never held you accountable. He will never see another HC job.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, peebag said:

Can someone recommend a 2018 Alabama game that shows the "potential" for Quinnen Williams?

I saw the NC game a/ Clemson

Texas A&M

Georgia

I didn't really see that much from him for those games.

I looked it up.  The draft network guy, Kyle Crabbs said LSU was his best film, and Oklahoma his worst.  Take that for what it is worth, they seem like kids. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, rangerous said:

its not just about the defense.  if the offense starts scoring points this defense will look a heck of a lot better, even without adding a guy like quinan williams.

I was about to post just this. The Jets ranked 21st in defensive DVOA. Unfortunately I can’t find quarter breakdown. But we were solid in the first half and one of the worse defenses in second half (particularly the 4th quarter).

Some of this was Bowles not being able to adjust. But a lot of it was that our defense was gased by the 4th quarter. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GreenFish said:

I was about to post just this. The Jets ranked 21st in defensive DVOA. Unfortunately I can’t find quarter breakdown. But we were solid in the first half and one of the worse defenses in second half (particularly the 4th quarter).

Some of this was Bowles not being able to adjust. But a lot of it was that our defense was gased by the 4th quarter. 

the good teams get good football players and figure out how to use them.

7 hours ago, Rsherman28 said:
  • 2018 Top 10 Tackle Leaders
  1. Jamal Adams 86
  2. Avery Williamson 80
  3. Buster Skrine 52
  4. Morris Claiborne 44
  5. Darren Lee 43
  6. Daryl Roberts 41
  7. Trumaine Johnson 35
  8. Marcus Maye 30
  9. Leo Williams 27
  10. Neville Hewitt 26

So, linebackers in blue, DBs in red.

Leo Williams was the only guy making tackles from the Def Line?

We have potential upgrades for almost half of the Front 7 with CJ Mosely, Quinnen Williams and Jachai Polite.  Adding them to 4 guys who did pretty well last year (Henry Anderson, Leo, Jenkins, Williamson) just seems like a major improvement opportunity, especially with Gregg Williams now stirring the drink on defense.

The optimist in me thinks we're one solid CB1 away from a potentially elite defense.

The pessimist in me says....this is the Jets.  I'll believe it when I see it on the field.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

We have potential upgrades for almost half of the Front 7 with CJ Mosely, Quinnen Williams and Jachai Polite.  Adding them to 4 guys who did pretty well last year (Henry Anderson, Leo, Jenkins, Williamson) just seems like a major improvement opportunity, especially with Gregg Williams now stirring the drink on defense.

The optimist in me thinks we're one solid CB1 away from a potentially elite defense.

The pessimist in me says....this is the Jets.  I'll believe it when I see it on the field.

All that sounds great but the real difference maker will be Darnold taking that next step most of us think he can take, and Lev Bell doing Lev Bell things on the field. Keeping the defense fresh with all the new pieces will do wonders.

1st year Jets head coaches typically have success so hoping for a 9-7 or better season, just because the off-season optimism is flowing.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, peebag said:

Can someone recommend a 2018 Alabama game that shows the "potential" for Quinnen Williams?

Texas A&M

Georgia

It's convenient that those are the only games you remember seeing. 

Shocked that every outlet didn't quote fans who just need to troll our players

21 minutes ago, MindOverMatter said:

All that sounds great but the real difference maker will be Darnold taking that next step most of us think he can take, and Lev Bell doing Lev Bell things on the field. Keeping the defense fresh with all the new pieces will do wonders.

1st year Jets head coaches typically have success so hoping for a 9-7 or better season, just because the off-season optimism is flowing.

Agreed on Darnold. The Jets will go only as far as he can lead them. But my reply was specific to the defense only. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Agreed on Darnold. The Jets will go only as far as he can lead them. But my reply was specific to the defense only. 

Yeah definitely, just saying that it can't be overlooked how much the offense can help out the defense this year. Could easily be the better unit.

I think with Williams running the defense Tru Johnson will have a rejuvinated year actually being able to press WR's. Poole is an obvios Skrine upgrade and his blitz ability and physicality is something Gregg Williams covets in his defense. People are sleeping on Roberts as a corner imo, he played well when he was at Corner, not so much playing FS though.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, peebag said:

Texas A&M

Georgia

Ahh yes we got a natural scout here fellas 

12 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

It's convenient that those are the only games you remember seeing. 

Shocked that every outlet didn't quote fans who just need to troll our players

I'm not trolling - everyone keeps saying this kid could be the 2nd coming of Aaron Donald and I'm not seeing it - just asking for info to games that showcases his potential.

2 minutes ago, peebag said:

I'm not trolling - everyone keeps saying this kid could be the 2nd coming of Aaron Donald and I'm not seeing it - just asking for info to games that showcases his potential.

Hard to see anything to this point other than him being a beast in college and the best DL in the draft