The Mini Camp Thread

59 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

I like Q's attitude.  Didn't like the pick but if he can be dominant, I'll eat my words.   

Despite what you think of the pick (I was not thirlled with it either), its hard not to like this kid:

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

23 minutes ago, Lith said:

Despite what you think of the pick (I was not thirlled with it either), its hard not to like this kid:

That was pretty cool. Thanks for posting it.

Sometimes its easy to forget that those huge guys in helmets and pads are just young kids. Then, one of them comes across like QW does here on this video... You're right. How can you not want to root for him?

Why ex-Rutgers standout Blessuan Austin thinks he can become Jets’ version of Richard Sherman

Updated 3:23 PM; Today 2:56 PM

Gallery: New York Jets Spring 2019 minicamp practice

1 share

By Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Former Rutgers cornerback Blessuan Austin was the last player the Jets drafted this year — 196th overall, in the sixth round.

But now that he is in the NFL — albeit still recovering from his second torn ACL in as many seasons — he plans to make everybody forget he was drafted so low.

“I want to be the best to ever play this game at my position,” Austin said Friday, when the Jets began their rookie orientation weekend.

Austin made one thing clear Friday, when he arrived at the Jets’ facility: He is plenty confident.

false

If not for ACL tears during both his junior and senior seasons, Austin might’ve been a second- or third-round draft pick. Or at least that’s what some draft analysts believe. Austin was asked Friday about having second- or third-round potential, when healthy.

“I feel like I’m better than that to be honest with you,” he said. “Nobody cares what round you went in when you get to this level. So now that I’m here, I’m just trying to prove myself.

“It never really mattered to me what round. I just needed to get my foot in the door. Now, it’s time to stay here and be the best to ever do it. I’m not trying to get back to the player that I was [before the knee injuries]. I’m trying to be better than that.”

Austin (6-foot-1, 198 pounds) is a long-armed corner who always liked studying a fellow long corner, Richard Sherman. It’s not lost on Austin that Sherman is a former fifth-round pick who probably will wind up in the Hall of Fame. Can Austin become the Jets’ version of Sherman?

Austin knows he has a long way to go still. But whenever he does get on the field, he believes his size will help him “immensely” in press coverage.

“And my ability to move and transition the way I do at my size, I feel like that’s what separates me from other corners,” he said.

Buy Jets tickets: StubHub, SeatGeek, Ticketmaster

While Austin spoke boldly about his hopes for life in the NFL, he was less forthcoming about his surgically repaired knee. He said his rehab is going “smooth,” but declined to say what percentage health his knee is at. And he wouldn’t speculate on if he’ll be ready for Week 1.

But even after tearing his ACL twice, he never doubted he’d wind up in the NFL.

“I never doubt myself or who I am,” he said. “My parents raised me that way.”