Le'veon mistake?

2 minutes ago, CheezeMCRow said:

New Jersey Generals fan actually.

I love how questioning a move by the all mighty lord Mac automatically makes you a Jets hater, and not simply a realist, based on his history of sustained ineptitude.

No religion please. Thanks. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, CheezeMCRow said:

New Jersey Generals fan actually.

I love how questioning a move by the all mighty lord Mac automatically makes you a Jets hater, and not a simple realists based on his history of sustained ineptitude.

Ya, everyone here hates Macc. You get nothing to complain about. 

As far as your thread.... Le’Veon Bell is allowed to work out on his own. This is his personal time still. Just because the draft is over doesn’t mean NFL players are expected to do this or attend that. Would it be nice to show up? Sure. Chances are he has already met a good deal of his teammates and Gase mentioned Bell getting a lot of good info on the offense when he was around Florham Park a month or two ago. There’s nothing to worry about, this is voluntary, fans have no right to be pissy. Le’Veon nicely explained to the fan on Twitter what works for him as a professional athlete.

leave it alone already.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Ya, everyone here hates Macc. You get nothing to complain about. 

As far as your thread.... Le’Veon Bell is allowed to work out on his own. This is his personal time still. Just because the draft is over doesn’t mean NFL players are expected to do this or attend that. Would it be nice to show up? Sure. Chances are he has already met a good deal of his teammates and Gase mentioned Bell getting a lot of good info on the offense when he was around Florham Park a month or two ago. There’s nothing to worry about, this is voluntary, fans have no right to be pissy. Le’Veon nicely explained to the fan on Twitter what works for him as a professional athlete.

leave it alone already.

I hear ya, and if it were any other player (maybe not named Odell) then it wouldn't concern me as much, but Le'veon doesn't exactly have the greatest reputation as a team guy, and you'd think (or at least hope) he's see the light, and want to at least make a good first impression with his new teammates, coaches, and fan base .... but we shall see.

I’m hopeful that Bell has a HUGE chip on his shoulder and giving his all to get ready. I’d like to think that he is doing things “his way” for this very reason. I worry he may burn out in the process though.

Time will tell. It could be great or it could be a disaster. I’m not worried until it becomes an issue. 

• Upvote 1

As long as he comes into mandatory camp fit and ready to work, then I don’t care.

But considering he took a year off, and got a monster contract, it isn’t a good look for him not showing up. Not the end of the world, but would have been good if he showed up.

5 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I’m hopeful that Bell has a HUGE chip on his shoulder and giving his all to get ready. I’d like to think that he is doing things “his way” for this very reason. I worry he may burn out in the process though.

Time will tell. It could be great or it could be a disaster. I’m not worried until it becomes an issue. 

Pretty sure he did this in Pittsburgh too. As long as he is here enough to develop chemistry with Sam. To be honest, he could walk in the day before our opener and handle the RB duties, but I am sure he will big a big receiving target too and that requires practice. If I am the Jets I target 250 carries for Bell, no more each year.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

He's doing things his way because that's how he's had success training in the off-season. I don't think Bell burning out is a concern considering the work load he always handled in Pittsburgh. One of the main reasons they trusted him with the ball so much was because his stamina/endurance from the training and preparation he has is insane.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MichaelScott said:

No, I dont think it's going to be a DISASTER by any means. We arent a contending team that is relying on him to be the last piece to get us to a superbowl. That might be a disaster. 

I'm fine with the signing because it's just money and it's worth a shot... BUT I do stand by my original feeling before we signed him that he is not going to be anything remotely close to what people are expecting or what he was in Pitt, for several reasons;

- We don't have the Steelers oline. Yes, at his best he can do more than anyone with less. This is the guy you would want to have if you're stuck with a subpar oline. But I think its naive to expect the same player behind our oline.

- Right now, I dont buy at all that Bell is motivated. I don't think football is his first priority and I think he will end up the most recent Jets player to check out after being paid. 

- People point to the year off as a good thing, I tend to think that this might be the biggest negative against him. Two years ago, when Bell sat out the entire offseason and didnt report until week 1, it took him the first 4 games of the season to get into shape and be effective. I remember this vividly because I had drafted him 1st overall and he was nothing for the first quarter of the season. That was after not working out with his team for one offseason. Now, he has been out of football for well over a year and STILL wont work out with his new team. And we think this is a good thing? 

Like every other negative feeling I have right now, I hope I'm wrong. But I feel pretty strongly that Bell is not going to turn out to what we hope he will be. He might not be Forte kind of bad, but I think it is not unrealistic to think that he is going to end up pretty pedestrian. 

Honestly, if he shows up, I don't think he makes it out of training camp without injury and I think we are going to go through this entire season with his availability in question every week because of a hamstring or some other injury most likely related to not being in football shape. 

Ridiculous post. There is no basis for any of this drivel.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MichaelScott said:

- People point to the year off as a good thing, I tend to think that this might be the biggest negative against him. Two years ago, when Bell sat out the entire offseason and didnt report until week 1, it took him the first 4 games of the season to get into shape and be effective. I remember this vividly because I had drafted him 1st overall and he was nothing for the first quarter of the season. That was after not working out with his team for one offseason. Now, he has been out of football for well over a year and STILL wont work out with his new team. And we think this is a good thing? 

I don't think the year off is a good thing, but I think your recollection is off.  Week 4 he had 144 yards rushing with 2 TDs and another 42 yards receiving.  If you think that isn't "in shape and effective" I can't help you.  If by week 4 he has 324 yards rushing with 3 TDs and another 98 yards receiving, will you be satisfied?  It sounds like you won't, but that is 1,300 rushing and almost 1,700 all-purpose. Yes, damn right that is a good thing. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, CheezeMCRow said:

I hear ya, and if it were any other player (maybe not named Odell) then it wouldn't concern me as much, but Le'veon doesn't exactly have the greatest reputation as a team guy, and you'd think (or at least hope) he's see the light, and want to at least make a good first impression with his new teammates, coaches, and fan base .... but we shall see.

Ok and that would be fair, only if, it were true that he is a bad teammate but from all indications he’s not. (aside from him souring on a few players at the end of it all) Ben Rothlisberger called him a great teammate midway into his season hold out. He also still maintains a close relationship with his eventual replacement, James Connor. Former Steelers and current Steelers heap praise. This was about getting his value. He pissed a few people off in the process. Oh well. Doesn’t mean he is a bad teammate. I won’t call him that until I see it here.

Ben Roethlisberger: Le’Veon Bell was a great teammate and football player

https://www.google.com/amp/s/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/14/ben-roethlisberger-leveon-bell-was-a-great-teammate-and-football-player/amp/

Again, you guys are overreacting.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't think the year off is a good thing, but I think your recollection is off.  Week 4 he had 144 yards rushing with 2 TDs and another 42 yards receiving.  If you think that isn't "in shape and effective" I can't help you.  If by week 4 he has 324 yards rushing with 3 TDs and another 98 yards receiving, will you be satisfied?  It sounds like you won't, but that is 1,300 rushing and almost 1,700 all-purpose. Yes, damn right that is a good thing. 

I was more referring that it took him until week 4 to look like himself. You can't look at those first 3 weeks and say that is up to his par. He was disappointing (compared to himself) and, at the time, everyone pointed to him not being in shape because he sat out the offseason. 

Maybe I should have been more clear. I'm really not against the signing. Like I said, its money, and I think they would have been foolish to not make an attempt to add him. If he is not injured, I think he will probably definitely be more effective than anyone else we would have had on the roster. BUT I dont think he is going to resemble the all world RB he was with the Steelers, and him choosing to not attend the teams off season programs, thus far, doesnt make me feel any better about that. That was really the point I was making in response to the OP 

22 minutes ago, Jethead said:

Ridiculous post. There is no basis for any of this 

You dont need to agree with me, and I could be completely wrong. I hope I am. But I brought up plenty of valid points. If you disagree that's fine. Your choice to dismiss them doesnt make them any less valid. 

My old school thinking says that Le'veon is a dope for not wanting to be with his new teammates and show some good will by showing up BUT my new school thinking tells me that the modern day athlete does enough on their own to prep during the off-season where these voluntary workouts aren't a big deal anymore and "no shows" to these workouts is much to do about nothing but the media has to focus on something during this time of year.

Conclusion - this will all be forgotten when Le'veon starts reeling off 100 yd games during the season.  

2 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

You dont need to agree with me, and I could be completely wrong. I hope I am. But I brought up plenty of valid points. If you disagree that's fine. Your choice to dismiss them doesnt make them any less valid. 

Correct. We can disagree with well thought-out articulate posts, but when they don't completely jive with your own opinion, it looks super weak and a poor reflection as a fan to simply bash them as meaningless and ridiculous. Both sides have valid points.