Le'veon mistake?

CheezeMCRow

7 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

My old school thinking says that Le'veon is a dope for not wanting to be with his new teammates and show some good will by showing up BUT my new school thinking tells me that the modern day athlete does enough on their own to prep during the off-season where these voluntary workouts aren't a big deal anymore and "no shows" to these workouts is much to do about nothing but the media has to focus on something during this time of year.

Conclusion - this will all be forgotten when Le'veon starts reeling off 100 yd games during the season.  

And what hurts matters is a coach isn't allowed to say anything negative about player no-shows either, or he'll risk getting fined by the league .... so any story of no-shows (see also, Freddie Kitchen already being spineless with Odell in Cleveland) where the coach acts like it's "no big deal" is pure crap, since you know any coach worth anything would be furious at the message it sends the rest of the team, especially when guys like Le'veon and Odell are supposedly these new faces of their traditionally losing franchises.

Coughlin was the one guy who took a stand against player no-shows this offseason, and was immediately punished by the league for speaking the truth, so there ya go.

2 hours ago, CheezeMCRow said:

I'm not even concerned about his conditioning, I'm more concerned about his motivation now that he's been paid.

In response to your concerns, the New York Jets today announced a new salary structure.  All players now get paid minimum wage per hour for the year with a performance-based bonus at the end of the season.  This alleviates the concerns of Jets fans that the players won't play hard once they receive their money.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, CheezeMCRow said:

Anyone else starting to feel like signing this guy could be a brewing DISASTER?

Jets' Le'Veon Bell to Practice 'When It's Time to Play Football,' Skip OTAs: 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2834987-jets-leveon-bell-to-practice-when-its-time-to-play-football-skip-otas

This makes me feel BETTER about the signing. Dude doesn't want to sit on his millions or rack up yards for selfish reasons. HE WANTS TO WIN A RING. That's the kind of player I want, especially when its a proven superstar vet who doesn't need to prove anything and who would hurt the team immensely if he got injured or ran out of juice right as the Jets were making a playoff push. 

Furthermore, sounds like he knows full well how this looks and is ok with 'taking the heat' right now. It shows me that he isn;t ALWAYS like this and is a team first player when it really matters. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, CheezeMCRow said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2834987-jets-leveon-bell-to-practice-when-its-time-to-play-football-skip-otas

I said this before they sign this guy. He will end up getting hurt missing part of season then if he doesn't have a good year start blaming Darnold and the OL. I wanted Coleman.

• When many of us think about football and the NFL, we have visions of a prior era where team, God and Country were all that mattered.  We now live in a different time, and to the extent athletes with the extreme skill set of guys like Bell and Beckham choose to train on their own and not with their team, there is really nothing NFL teams can do about it other than avoid signing guys like that.  But there are only a few of them, so they will get signed, and they will exercise their preogative and individuality.
  • In the end, the players were snookered by the CBA.   Despite being paid enormous amounts of money, they fought very hard for the right not to have to even attend meetings in the offseason.  In return they bound themselves in rookie contracts and the franchise/transition tags while diminishing the quality of the product and potential revenue therefrom.    If the players were smart, there would be more mandatory meetings and practices but also more ability obtain market value of their services.  When the average NFL career is shorter than the average rookie contract, overall the players are getting a raw deal.  
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, CheezeMCRow said:

Correct. We can disagree with well thought-out articulate posts, but when they don't completely jive with your own opinion, it looks super weak and a poor reflection as a fan to simply bash them as meaningless and ridiculous. Both sides have valid points.

I'm honestly not understanding what you're talking about. The OP asked it the Bell signing was a disaster. I answered him. (Asking for opinion, giving opinions) what does your above post have to do with this?

8 hours ago, CheezeMCRow said:

GOOD GRIEF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Image result for gif of person screaming

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

- People point to the year off as a good thing, I tend to think that this might be the biggest negative against him.

He's not sitting out training camp.  He's sat out the voluntary OTAs, which have been over for days.  When training camp opens he practices with the team.

Two years ago, when Bell sat out the entire offseason and didnt report until week 1, it took him the first 4 games of the season to get into shape and be effective. I remember this vividly because I had drafted him 1st overall and he was nothing for the first quarter of the season. That was after not working out with his team for one offseason. Now, he has been out of football for well over a year and STILL wont work out with his new team. And we think this is a good thing?

Actually, for a running back in mid career, sitting out a year might be a good thing to do.  Speed does not disappear at 30 in sprinting-Linford Christie won an Olympic gold medal in the 100 meter dash at the age of 32, an age RBs are supposed to be washed up. Getting hit limits a RBs career.  2018 Leveon didn't get hit all year and gave his joints and muscles a full year to heal.  He'll probably not only get another year in football to make up for the one he lost, he very likely will have another year or two on top of that.

Honestly, if he shows up, I don't think he makes it out of training camp without injury and I think we are going to go through this entire season with his availability in question every week because of a hamstring or some other injury most likely related to not being in football shape.

He's practicing with the team during training camp, so there is no injury risk.  And he should be stronger and in better shape the beginning of 2019 than he would have been in 2018 had he played. 

• Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, nyjets1969 said:

I said this before they sign this guy. He will end up getting hurt missing part of season then if he doesn't have a good year start blaming Darnold and the OL. I wanted Coleman.

I was into the idea of Coleman too until two things happened.

One;  It became obvious that Bell, whom I have watched a ton, became a realistic possibility.  Bell is, quite simply, the man.

Two; I actually spent more time watching Tevin play last year.  He is a really good athlete, but the guy's "feel" for the RB position just isn't there.   Sometimes, I thought Atlanta should have used him more in the passing game, but even in space he doesn't seem to gain enough yardage considering his speed.  Some have said that his hips aren't real loose.  Me?  I think his instincts are poor.

Bell's vision is exceptional.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, CheezeMCRow said:

New Jersey Generals fan actually.

I love how questioning a move by the all mighty lord Mac automatically makes you a Jets hater, and not simply a realist, based on his history of sustained ineptitude.

I'll bet money you have a Darron Lee Jersey.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Bell is the Jets best offseason move IMHO 

agree with Bell this only only matters when they start to play football 

Best RB Jets have had since Curtis who even said Bell was more talented than him. Humility Squared. Great signing. Obviously Macc has nothing to do with this. 🤪

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, CheezeMCRow said:

Look I wasn’t a huge fan of his but it’s way to early for this topic

Yeah it’s not great optics but it’s possible he’s doing different training than what he would be doing in the OTA’s. He was at floram park during the strength and conditioning. Seems like he’s just continuing that on his own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

It' was a voluntary camp held 4 months before the season. 

The only place there is any concerned hand wringing about Bell not being there is amongst a defeatist portion of the fan base, and a message board full of people who love to complain about anything that might support their "concerns" regarding the player.

BTW Ask the Raider coaches and fans how happy they are that Crowell attended their camp. Could you imagine what this place would be like if Bell had torn HIS acl ligament last week and was out for the '19 season?

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jetmech said:

Yeah it’s not great optics but it’s possible he’s doing different training than what he would be doing in the OTA’s. He was at floram park during the strength and conditioning. Seems like he’s just continuing that on his own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

and that's just it, my concern was never really his physical conditioning, but more the mental aspect, especially since he hasn't played in so long and he's on a brand new team, already having to field questions about his me-first mentality plaguing him throughout his Pittsburgh days BEFORE he no-showed any Jets team function.. You'd figure now he has a new contract, and a fresh start, he'd want to actually meet his new teammates, coaches, and media, and let's be honest, start to get used to what it's like in New York compared to Pittsburgh (very different media and pressurized monsters) just to squash all the bad vibes that dog him, and take a role as a veteran leader setting positive examples (even if he has to fake it).

His ambivalence towards any of that is just disappointing is all. Not the sky falling, just disappointing.

12 minutes ago, CheezeMCRow said:

and that's just it, my concern was never really his physical conditioning, but more the mental aspect, especially since he hasn't played in so long and he's on a brand new team, already having to field questions about his me-first mentality plaguing him throughout his Pittsburgh days BEFORE he no-showed any Jets team function.. You'd figure now he has a new contract, and a fresh start, he'd want to actually meet his new teammates, coaches, and media, and let's be honest, start to get used to what it's like in New York compared to Pittsburgh (very different media and pressurized monsters) just to squash all the bad vibes that dog him, and take a role as a veteran leader setting positive examples (even if he has to fake it).

His ambivalence towards any of that is just disappointing is all. Not the sky falling, just disappointing.

On 5/7/2019 at 10:43 AM, CheezeMCRow said:

Cool backpedal, bro. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, slats said:

Cool backpedal, bro. 

it's not a backpedal at all. I see far more bad coming from the Bell signing than good over the course of his contract, simply because of his attitude and potential negative influence on a young roster and impressionable green qb. Doesn't mean i wont pull for him all the same to do well, it simply means I don't see this being a quick fix win-win everyone likes to fantasize about it being.

His mental stamina and tolerance playing in new york  will be tested daily (especially with Odell now being gone, and Bell now soon finding himself in the media crosshairs as the Odell void-filler), and being as he hasn't shown a very thick-skin in the past when it comes to receiving criticism from former teammates, media, or even fellow players taking jabs at his rap album, THAT'S the main concern--his getting accustomed to what it truly means to be a star athlete in new york carrying HEAVY expectations now as the focal point for a brand new team.

• Thumb Down 1

On 5/7/2019 at 10:48 AM, jetstream23 said:

He'll be fine on the field me thinks.

Not an ideal situation but the guy apparently is working hard, not sitting on his ass eating pizza and making rap albums.  Well...at least not the sitting and eating pizza parts.

I give him 5 years after the NFL and he will be working at McD's.

19 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

We cry for nice things and when we finally get them, we cry that they not good

I never wanted them to sign Bell simply for this kind of thing and the inevitable team distractions that will accompany him every step of the way here in new york. I instead wanted them to focus less on getting a 'star name' to pat themselves on the back for getting back page headlines, and more on revamping their ENTIRE offensive line, which has been terrible for quite awhile now. 

The trade for Osomele was nice, but also a minimal upgrade over carpenter. Looks good on paper, but Osomele was also terrible last year with the raiders believing his best days are behind him. And the rest of the line was completely neglected. What's most concerning about that is Bell, more than most backs NEEDS a big time oline to create holes he can patiently wait behind and pick and choose his holes, which may be tough going with this group.... Not to mention Sam was the worst qb in the nfl under pressure last year, so the fact that Mac completely neglected the team and potential franchise qb's most glaring need is shameful, especially with all that cap space. Feels like a golden opportunity wasted. 

• Thumb Down 3

4 minutes ago, jvill 51 said:

FTFY

haha, i love how when someone dares criticize any move the legendary Mac makes, it automatically means you're a Jets hater and fan of another team. Being a fan is more than just blind obedience to Mac, Manish Mehta .... and Bart Scott.

• Thumb Down 2

2 minutes ago, CheezeMCRow said:

haha, i love how when someone dares criticize any move the legendary Mac makes, it automatically means you're a Jets hater and fan of another team. Being a fan is more than just blind obedience to Mac, Manish Mehta .... and Bart Scott.

Yeah, you said the same thing yesterday and it wasn't convincing then either. Trust me, a great number of Jet fans have anything but "blind obedience" to any of those guys. Its just not that hard to spot a troll.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, jvill 51 said:

Yeah, you said the same thing yesterday and it wasn't convincing then either. Trust me, a great number of Jet fans have anything but "blind obedience" to any of those guys. Its just not that hard to spot a troll.

Apologies if logic doesn't sit well. 

1 hour ago, CheezeMCRow said:

Sound advice from a proven champion ..... oh ..... wait .....

Guess all that nonsense about different opinions based on well thought out beliefs was just a load of shlt that doesn't apply to someone else's opinions, just yours.