Patriots to sign OT Jared Veldheer to 1-year, $6.5M deal

The New England Patriots are set to add veteran depth to their offensive line.

New England plans to sign offensive tackle Jared Veldheer later in the week, NFL Network's Ian Rapoport and Tom Pelissero reported, via sources informed of the situation. Veldheer previously had a free-agent visit with the Patriots last week.

Pelissero adds Veldheer is expected to sign a one-year deal worth up to $6.5 million and the contract should be finalized after the league-wide deadline passes for counting toward compensatory picks.

The 6-foot-8, 321-pound Veldheer provides plenty of experience with 118 career appearances and 113 starts on his nine-year career spent with the Oakland Raiders (2010-13), Arizona Cardinals(2014-17) and Denver Broncos (2018). He originally entered the league as a third-round pick with the Raiders.

Veldheer, who turns 32 on June 14, also brings a versatile skill set when considering he possesses the ability to play both tackle positions, center and guard.

With the Patriots, he would provide depth behind left tackle Isaiah Wynn and right tackle Marcus Cannon.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001030156/article/patriots-plan-to-sign-veteran-tackle-jared-veldheer

14 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

I wonder if there are still concerns about that T they drafted in the first round last year. I think he had a season ending injury in camp, which caused them to sign Trent Brown off the street. 

Thinking the same thing. I think Wynn moves inside TBH

15 hours ago, Maxman said:

Chances are he will play until he is 42 and make 11 pro bowls.

That reminds me of a point I was thinking of the other day.  What are the odds that Tom Brady is still playing after Sam Darnold/Josh Allen/Josh Rosen all retire?

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

That reminds me of a point I was thinking of the other day.  What are the odds that Tom Brady is still playing after Sam Darnold/Josh Allen/Josh Rosen all retire?

Forget Darnold or the Josh's - brady* will play for as long as guerrero*, ernie* & belichick* are around.

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Nothing like *playing with the Patriots* to rejuvenate one's career as an O-Lineman. 

* cheating

FTFY

by the way the pats tackle situation is worse than the Jets. I won't bore everyone with the details. You have google, use it. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Bore us please. 

okay... twist my arm why dont ya

***LEFT SIDE STORY ***

so they lose Trent Brown at left tackle, who was a good not great player (he's now the highest paid offensive lineman in football, thanks to Jon Gruden)

they also lost LaAdrian Waddle to the Bills. Doesn't sound like much but started seven games due to injury.  

Their projected starter for this season is Isaiah Wynn, as some might remember as a Cordy Glenn like prospect from a couple drafts ago. He's short by tackle standards 6'2" and only 33 1/3 arm length. (Cordy Glenn has 35 1/3 inch arms btw) Left tackle is where wynn played at UGA but it's a projection at the NFL level. He would have a year to prepare, except Wynn tore his Achillies' tendon during the first game of last year's preseason. so Wynn, who is a 1st round pick, has zero snaps as an NFL starter, and possibly not the correct attributes required for the position. He's taken mental snaps or whatever but essentially a redshirt rookie starting week 1 for Brady's blind side.

***RIGHT SIDE STORY***

on the right side, Marcus Cannon is 31 and injury prone (he's been in the league 8 years and never completed a full 16 game season once)

Jared Veldheer also is 31 and hasn't finished a season healthy since 2015 

They drafted Yodny Cajuste out of WVU with the 101st pick in the 3rd round this year as a Cannon replacement. But the Veldheer signing shows what they think of his chances of being ready right away. 

beyond that they have Cole Croston who is young and strong as far as I can tell has never taken a real snap. Certainly never started. 

***COMPARED TO THE JETS***

Kelvin Beachum is not Tony Boselli but he has gotten through 2 16 game seasons, doing an acceptable job (at least as good as Trent Brown, if only he were allowed to hold as much) 

Brandon Shell is one of the most underrated Jets. He's still young, and a load in the run game when he wants to be. A pretty decent ROI on a 5th rd pick and his bloodline relations to Art Shell means he's going to get about 1000 chances even if the Jets give on him (which as long as Mac is accepting paychecks, they wont)

Tom Compton has starting experience at RT when he was with Washington in 2015 (even though he's more of a guard at this point his career). Most fans forgot they signed this dude but he's country strong and could push winters at RG 

Chuma Edoga the 3rd pick is a Kelvin Beachum replacement... in about a year. Those USC recruits are often excellent athletes. I am not going to pretend I know the future on this player but he was drafted a few picks before Cajuste, who seems like more of a RT type (altho with BB starting Wynn who people thought was a RT type, who can say?)  

***CONCLUSION***

So, if you didn't know anything about the Jets or the Pats and the horrible baggage involved with their W-L records, and the NFL started an expansion team and let you picked a group of four tackles to start a team with,  which group of players would you rather have for your football team, tomorrow? 

I would make  a poll but I won't spam the board with a new thread

the choice would be Wynn/Cannon/Veldheer/Cadjuste/Crolston or Beachum/Shell/Compton/Edoga/Qvalue

btw I hate Qvale but we are talking 5OT here probably neither guy makes their team unless injury strikes 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, bitonti said:

okay... twist my arm why dont ya

***LEFT SIDE STORY ***

so they lose Trent Brown at left tackle, who was a good not great player (he's now the highest paid offensive lineman in football, thanks to Jon Gruden)

they also lost LaAdrian Waddle to the Bills. Doesn't sound like much but started seven games due to injury.  

Their projected starter for this season is Isaiah Wynn, as some might remember as a Cordy Glenn like prospect from a couple drafts ago. He's short by tackle standards 6'2" and only 33 1/3 arm length. (Cordy Glenn has 35 1/3 inch arms btw) Left tackle is where wynn played at UGA but it's a projection at the NFL level. He would have a year to prepare, except Wynn tore his Achillies' tendon during the first game of last year's preseason. so Wynn, who is a 1st round pick, has zero snaps as an NFL starter, and possibly not the correct attributes required for the position. He's taken mental snaps or whatever but essentially a redshirt rookie starting week 1 for Brady's blind side.

***RIGHT SIDE STORY***

on the right side, Marcus Cannon is 31 and injury prone (he's been in the league 8 years and never completed a full 16 game season once)

Jared Veldheer also is 31 and hasn't finished a season healthy since 2015 

They drafted Yodny Cajuste out of WVU with the 101st pick in the 3rd round this year as a Cannon replacement. But the Veldheer signing shows what they think of his chances of being ready right away. 

beyond that they have Cole Croston who is young and strong as far as I can tell has never taken a real snap. Certainly never started. 

***COMPARED TO THE JETS***

Kelvin Beachum is not Tony Boselli but he has gotten through 2 16 game seasons, doing an acceptable job (at least as good as Trent Brown, if only he were allowed to hold as much) 

Brandon Shell is one of the most underrated Jets. He's still young, and a load in the run game when he wants to be. A pretty decent ROI on a 5th rd pick and his bloodline relations to Art Shell means he's going to get about 1000 chances even if the Jets give on him (which as long as Mac is accepting paychecks, they wont)

Tom Compton has starting experience at RT when he was with Washington in 2015 (even though he's more of a guard at this point his career). Most fans forgot they signed this dude but he's country strong and could push winters at RG 

Chuma Edoga the 3rd pick is a Kelvin Beachum replacement... in about a year. Those USC recruits are often excellent athletes. I am not going to pretend I know the future on this player but he was drafted a few picks before Cajuste, who seems like more of a RT type (altho with BB starting Wynn who people thought was a RT type, who can say?)  

***CONCLUSION***

So, if you didn't know anything about the Jets or the Pats and the horrible baggage involved with their W-L records, and the NFL started an expansion team and let you picked a group of four tackles to start a team with,  which group of players would you rather have for your football team, tomorrow? 

I would make  a poll but I won't spam the board with a new thread

the choice would be Wynn/Cannon/Veldheer/Cadjuste/Crolston or Beachum/Shell/Compton/Edoga/Qvalue

btw I hate Qvale but we are talking 5OT here probably neither guy makes their team unless injury strikes 

Great post, Bit.  Just one question...  Did you trade Brian Winters??