Christopher Johnson vs Woody Johnson

43 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Most people seem to like Chris more but I see no tangible difference.

While I think they're both pretty bad I think it's for different reasons.  Not really basing this on much other than my own limited observations...but...

Woody - seemed to always focus with an eye toward PR as his primary focus.  Winning was second to positive press...i.e. Tebow (there are plenty of examples)

Chris - Seems like winning is his priority but he's way too hands on - he seems to have injected himself into the day-to-day running of the team more than Woody did.  Hence the GM and HC reporting into the owner

Just one mans opinion.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

Chris - Seems like winning is his priority but he's way too hands on - he seems to have injected himself into the day-to-day running of the team more than Woody did.  Hence the GM and HC reporting into the owner

Pretty sure the GM and HC on the same level was instituted by Woody when Bowles and Mac came on in 2015

They both are afraid to make real decisions. Firing Bowles and keeping Mac was idiotic. Keeping Bowles even last year with a rookie Darnold was idiotic. Keeeping Rex and additional year was idiotic.

Look the Jets have wasted the last 30 years clinging to the concepts and ideals of Parcells, desperately trying to find the next one, while the NFL morphs and changes around them

At least Chis finally realized he needs an offensive guy to shepherd Darnold and that we need to focus more on offense, but even then he keeps Mac who has shown no ability to recognize offensive talent, and does not value the OL, which has actually become almost as important as QB in the modern NFL.

Other teams use the management structure of both GM and HC reporting to owner, but our owners are political corporate guys unable to effectively manage that dynamic in the NFL.

I am not sold on the Gase hire and it seems we decided to force Williams on whoever we hired, but I will say Gase has created a much better staff than Bowles ever did. 

In their defense they have gotten very bad advice from their advisors as well in Wolf and Casserly, that didn't help much either.

• Upvote 2

I think all of this hate is pure blind speculation, what we know about Woody and Chris are their ACTIONS. Stick to that and you might get a decent take on the owner.

I find it so ridiculous all these blind conclusions cast against them both based on 100% perception, but not a shred of real live direct evidence.

To be fair, and I've posted this many times before, you can definitely criticize him for poor hiring choices. You can further criticize him for giving Mac a second contract and firing the minority HC. 

However, you cannot criticize him for selecting Darron Lee, Devin Smith, Hackenberg, etc. You cannot criticize him for having a roster completely devoid of talent. You cannot criticize him for all of the bad things Toilet did.

Those are all functions of the GM and HC. So if Mac's actions upset (as they do many Jets fans) you, BLAME HIM. Blame Woody for hiring him and giving him a second contract.

My own personal belief is Woody is a nice, down to earth, guy. Just like I'm sure Leon Hess was. They just both made the very worst hiring choices. Do I blame him for that? Sure I do. But I'm not sure I wouldn't have made the same poor hiring choices? I know I would have canned Tanny in 2009 of it would have persuaded Cowher to coach the Jets. I never would have hired Mangini. Instead, I would have decided between Mike Heimerdinger and Mike Westhoff. Probably hiring Westhoff because he was a coordinator for the Jets for years prior. I never would have hired BBQ man. I would have kept Rex Ryan and seen it he could play nice with someone else besides Idzik? The fact is, Todd Bowles was never an upgrade over Rex like so many here believed he would be. He was most certainly a DOWNGRADE from Rex. No matter how poorly you thought of Rex he was, and probably will always be, a BETTER HC than toilet.

14 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

They both are afraid to make real decisions. Firing Bowles and keeping Mac was idiotic. Keeping Bowles even last year with a rookie Darnold was idiotic. Keeeping Rex and additional year was idiotic.

Look the Jets have wasted the last 30 years clinging to the concepts and ideals of Parcells, desperately trying to find the next one, while the NFL morphs and changes around them

At least Chis finally realized he needs an offensive guy to shepherd Darnold and that we need to focus more on offense, but even then he keeps Mac who has shown no ability to recognize offensive talent, and does not value the OL, which has actually become almost as important as QB in the modern NFL.

Other teams use the management structure of both GM and HC reporting to owner, but our owners are political corporate guys unable to effectively manage that dynamic in the NFL.

I am not sold on the Gase hire and it seems we decided to force Williams on whoever we hired, but I will say Gase has created a much better staff than Bowles ever did. 

In their defense they have gotten very bad advice from their advisors as well in Wolf and Casserly, that didn't help much either.

Since it is on CJ's watch this year Mac invested decent in Oline with the trade for a pro bowl LG, 3rd round pick T prospect and a swing T/G FA in Compton.

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Most people seem to like Chris more but I see no tangible difference.

Trust fund babies. Imagine owning an NFL team and simply handing it over to your brother?  THAT shows the lack of respect Woody has for the knowledge it takes to run a business and why we are where we are.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

Trust fund babies. Imagine owning an NFL team and simply handing it over to your brother?  THAT shows the lack of respect Woody has for the knowledge it takes to run a business and why we are where we are.  

It’s even worse than that Woody still meddles with the team while doing his pretend job 

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Bowles getting 4 years was obvious evidence that our ownership does not care 

No other owner in the nfl would have put up with such a horrible coaching staff.  Even a scenile Leon Hess knew to get rid of his buddy Dick Kotite after 2 years

I think Chris has a better heart and more common sense.  He just does not have the power or knowledge to add any value, and he does not seem to demand results.  I get the sense that it is easy to provide him with excuses.  

Woody is not that smart but thinks he is smarter than he is.  I give him credit for demanding results in the early years of his ownership and delivering a good product to the fans before it all caught to him.  

Neither are the answer.   The really need to be passive owners and hand the team to a real football person who to run. 

• WTF? 1

Chris by far. He comes off more professional than Woody and seems to be an all around cool dude.

I like his position on players kneeling for the anthem. And Woody is a right wing wanna be and currently servy in the Trump administration so he looses major points for that.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 1

Holy crap. 

It’s not about the owners. 

It has been and always will be about the quarterback. 

It's funny when folks say Woody or Chris don’t care about winning, all they care is about the cash cow. 

They OWN an NFL team- it is by definition a CASH COW. Regardless of what they do. 

Of course they both want to win, they’ve just never had the QB. 

Now they do  

They’re both fine and Woody is the guy that put his cash up (inherited or earned) so I’m going with Woody. But Chris is fine as the substitute teacher. 

2 hours ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Since it is on CJ's watch this year Mac invested decent in Oline with the trade for a pro bowl LG, 3rd round pick T prospect and a swing T/G FA in Compton.

You are joking right? We have no center still. Mac didn’t even attempt to find one. Why Gase blew a gasket. We our new LG has injury concerns. He is an upgrade over carpenter, but he was given up by the raiders for basically nothing.  Mac should not be praised for picking 2 Olineman before 6 round in five years. Fifth and 3rd. This OL is in need of a major make over next yr. Mac is not the  gm for that job 

34 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

No other owner in the nfl would have put up with such a horrible coaching staff.  Even a scenile Leon Hess knew to get rid of his buddy Dick Kotite after 2 years

Think about the Arizona fans who will get 1 or 2 years Arians before the HC gig is just given to Bowles so he can wreck another team for 4 years.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Think about the Arizona fans who will get 1 or 2 years Arians before the HC gig is just given to Bowles so he can wreck another team for 4 years.

The cardinals are a hot mess right now I feel sorry for David Johnson

4 hours ago, rex-n-effect said:

Pretty sure the GM and HC on the same level was instituted by Woody when Bowles and Mac came on in 2015

Even more importantly after initially saying the reporting to the owner would stay under his lead he has lulled back and said they would go to the traditional system that for some reason people here think is a huge deal. 

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Kotite was much worse than Bowles.

Walton was on the level of Bowles.  And lasted 7 years.  Hess was never close to being senile

3 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

So whether you respect the way Woody and Chris got their money or not ( you obviously don't), they've taken said money and become part of a very exclusive group giving them almost guaranteed returns (when was the last time the NFL actually lost money?) of a minimum of 255 million annually. The NFL is almost a sure fire money maker and the guy you're making out to be a villain of filthy rich because of it. He's already made billions since owning the Jets, and with the new stadium he's likely added about a billion dollars to the overall estimated value of the franchise.