Under Construction; How Close are Jets to Completing Rebuild?

1 hour ago, slats said:

"Legitimate #1 WR," is the most overrated "need" in football. 

What you need is a QB who can read a defense and get the ball to the open guy. The Jets will have five guys on the field in their base, 3-WR set in Anderson, Enunwa, Crowder, Herndon, and Bell, who can all catch the ball anywhere on the field and do something with it. Darnold makes the jump, he has enough pieces in place. 

No..you need a WR that can be counted on - someone on 3rd and 7 and you can say - the ball's going to "xxx" and confident he'll make a play. 

Right now, from what I can see, the Jets don't have that guy.  You can call it what you want and mock the terminology all you want - but it's a gaping hole in this offense right now.

Find me that guy and and even a slight upgrade to the OL and this is a top 10 offense.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

This is NOT year 5 of a rebuild so please stop saying that. It's obvious to anyone without blind hatred of this GM we are in year 3 and should be expected to make the playoffs. 

In years one and two it was obvious this owner thought we could still make a run with some of the pieces we had in place, he was wrong after that failure we cleaned house of all the old vets and started the rebuild. We got rid of our imbecile HC and replaced him with a young offensive mind and a proven DC. Lets see how our draft pans out and if this team can move forward with a playoff berth.

Amen brother! Signing Revis, Cro, Skrine, Gilchrist, Fitz, McCown, Forte is head above water stuff. The true rebuild was cutting dead weight for 2 years and trading up to 3 for a QB. Obviously no one knew Sam Darnold would drop, THANK GOD a transcendent player named Sequan Barkley was the player at #2 & the Giants were dead set on taking him because, I guarantee you the Giants had offers when Baker Mayfields name was announced. 

We added another TE so we have Herndon, Leggett, Wesco (not a bad trio), we have at RB Bell, Ty, Eli, Cannon, not a bad group of RBs, at WR we have Anderson, Quincy, Crowder, Burnett, we could use an upgrade but a pretty diverse group, on Oline we've added KO, Toth, Chuma + Wesco, Shell & Beachum will be back, obviously this is another area that can be upgraded. 

WR, Oline are areas to build on in the 2020 draft on offense & CB/Edge on defense, unless Polite, Luvu, Copeland tear it up with Q & Leo wreaking havoc inside. I love where we're at in Darnolds 2nd year. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

No..you need a WR that can be counted on - someone on 3rd and 7 and you can say - the ball's going to "xxx" and confident he'll make a play. 

Right now, from what I can see, the Jets don't have that guy.  You can call it what you want and mock the terminology all you want - but it's a gaping hole in this offense right now.

Find me that guy and and even a slight upgrade to the OL and this is a top 10 offense.

How do you know Crowder can't be that guy with all of these other guys gaining attention? You have to stay with Bell, Herndon has proven he can get open, Anderson has killer speed & Enunwa can line up ANYWHERE, WR wide, slot, Hback & TE. It's harder to defend 5 guys than roll coverage to 1 stud. 

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Herndon and Bell 

51 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

As is often said here, its all about Darnold. He got plenty of help this offseason. An Offensive minded HC. By all accounts an excellent OL coach. Leveon Bell, Osemele, and Crowder amongst others.

At this point its up to Darnold to take that step forward in his second year that good young QBs do. I'm hoping we repeat the Ram's result when they fired Fischer, hired an offensive HC (McVay) and Goff took that next big step.

The training wheels are off. I've listened to those who proclaim this kid a generational superstar waiting to happen. So many here are convinced "they saw it".  I wanted to see what you saw, but I can't say I did. I saw a kid who struggled, then showed really nice progress for 3 games. Darnold definitely has the chance to become a top QB and long time NFL starter. Now's the time for us to stop talking about "seeing what we saw" and HIM to make it to happen.

I honestly think Sam will need another year, he has a ton of natural talent but not much experience, hence my focus on getting him more help, agree he is not a lock and he needs to put the work in but it's up to the Jets to help him take the next step - we have seen too many careers stopped short to think it's all on him 

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Crowder is an improvement (Is he better then Kearse... yes upgrade) ... Osmele is an improvement (Better then Carpenter, absolutely)... Bell is a massive upgrade... Wesco will be better then Tomlinson... Gase is an improvement... What you are failing to see is that they have improved at OL, WR, RB, and TE... we can debate on how much they improved... but its a fact that they have improved at each position. The Jets were close on a lot of games last year and had some others get away from them in the 4th... 

I think that the Defense will improve with Mosley running the show 

Crowder is a complementary player, as is Anderson and Enunwa. My point isnt to be pessimistic here, but lets be real. What SB team in the last couple decades had a roster similar to the Jets right now? We barely have a roster to compete for the division or a wildcard. 

The initial point was about providing more high level players, pro bowler/all pro types. 

I said that any of those guys we do get more often than not is on the offensive side of the ball, and any young talent we get via the draft is also on the defensive side of the ball. 

Im not failing to see anything here, it's the offseason and as usual folks are overvaluing what the front office has done. Crowder is an upgrade but comes with his own issues, such as being a known fumbler. He's been in the league 4 years and has fumbled 12 times. 

It's not only pro's here. When a complimentary player has 12 fumbles in 4 years then you see why he's just a complimentary player. 

The Jets need playmakers on offense as well if they want to compete for the division and make playoff run's. To their credit, they signed Bell, but it's also about drafting guys. You cant sit in free agency and expect to sign all pros every offseason. 

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Jets are 1 of 7 teams that don't have a 1000 yard receiver on their roster

• Sympathy 1

It's all on Darnold now.
These discussions are interesting but in reality it all comes down to the QB. 
They make other players, coaches, and GMs look like geniuses or idiots. 

It’s Darnold and the Jets defense, you know playing defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe that no team is built perfect and every year you need to fix or replace players at certain positions. Nobody can put a timeline on how long the construction will take to finish. Today, the Jets needed an oline, edge rusher and a RB,  what will they need tomorrow? Remember, they had the money to spend this year but next year will be a different story the money won't be there like it was. This team isn't built to win now or playoff ready!!! They don't have a favorable schedule!!!  

The team will be going through its growing pains this year with the new coaching staff and players. If this is the last year for Maccagnan as GM, they will need to look for an experienced GM with player personnel history. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

Crowder is a complementary player, as is Anderson and Enunwa. My point isnt to be pessimistic here, but lets be real. What SB team in the last couple decades had a roster similar to the Jets right now? We barely have a roster to compete for the division or a wildcard. 

The initial point was about providing more high level players, pro bowler/all pro types. 

I said that any of those guys we do get more often than not is on the offensive side of the ball, and any young talent we get via the draft is also on the defensive side of the ball. 

Im not failing to see anything here, it's the offseason and as usual folks are overvaluing what the front office has done. Crowder is an upgrade but comes with his own issues, such as being a known fumbler. He's been in the league 4 years and has fumbled 12 times. 

It's not only pro's here. When a complimentary player has 12 fumbles in 4 years then you see why he's just a complimentary player. 

The Jets need playmakers on offense as well if they want to compete for the division and make playoff run's. To their credit, they signed Bell, but it's also about drafting guys. You cant sit in free agency and expect to sign all pros every offseason. 

Every Patriot team minus 2007 was constructed similar to how the Jets are now built... Outside of Brady there is no singular offensive talent that would be all-pro without him (Gronk was always hurt)... The Ravens with Anquan Boldin, possession WR built on Def... Giants last 2 superbowls... Just because the league has had success with the offense lately doesn't mean that it is the only way to win.... Rams had a top Def and Gurley... Goff had a bunch of cast offs like woods ... Without Gurley their offense staggered... We can go at this all day but you are overrating what superbowl teams have on Offense

21 minutes ago, AL047 said:

I believe that no team is built perfect and every year you need to fix or replace players at certain positions. Nobody can put a timeline on how long the construction will take to finish. Today, the Jets needed an oline, edge rusher and a RB,  what will they need tomorrow? Remember, they had the money to spend this year but next year will be a different story the money won't be there like it was. This team isn't built to win now or playoff ready!!! They don't have a favorable schedule!!!  

The team will be going through its growing pains this year with the new coaching staff and players. If this is the last year for Maccagnan as GM, they will need to look for an experienced GM with player personnel history. 

We have guys with a lot of experience now, I don't think the growing pains will be as bad as you think. Beachum, KO, Harrison, Winters, Shell, not one rookie in the bunch it's more about staying healthy. 

Anderson in his 3rd year, Quincy 5th, Crowder 4th, Herndon 2nd, Leggett 3rd but 2nd full, Wesco will 1st be asked to block. 

Bell is one of the best backs in the league, TY knows how to find open spaces to catch the ball from his experience with Rogers, Elis 3rd year, Cannons 2nd. 

Then we have a lot of experience sprinkled around on defense. 

Sams growth & absorbing Gase system will key, he'll have plenty of players around him who will be where they should be on any given play.

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I agree with this... Every team needs a Welker, Edelman, Boldin, Smith, Ward, on and on... they need a #1 WR.  Some teams evolve that into a TE like Gronk, Gonzalez, Gates.... So maybe Herndon can turn into that guy... but the Jets need that #1 Receiver.

• Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Every Patriot team minus 2007 was constructed similar to how the Jets are now built... Outside of Brady there is no singular offensive talent that would be all-pro without him... The Ravens with Anquan Boldin, possession WR built on Def... Giants last 2 superbowls... Just because the league has had success with the offense lately doesn't mean that it is the only way to win.... Rams had a top Def and Gurley... Goff had a bunch of cast offs like woods ... Without Gurley their offense staggered... We can go at this all day but you are overrating what superbowl teams have on Offense

Gurley & Cooper Kupp, their only WR with size went down & they only had 2 schrimps in Cooks & Woods. 

For all the smashing of our offensive weapons, Anderson, Quincy, Crowder, Herndon, Bell, Ty, are more weapons than the Rams had in the Super Bowl with no Cooper Krupp, a useless Gurley, 2 nothing TEs & 2 schrimp WRs. 

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

How do you know Crowder can't be that guy with all of these other guys gaining attention? You have to stay with Bell, Herndon has proven he can get open, Anderson has killer speed & Enunwa can line up ANYWHERE, WR wide, slot, Hback & TE. It's harder to defend 5 guys than roll coverage to 1 stud. 

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

Herndon and Bell 

@FidelioJet, like these replies you already got, I don't think you're describing a true #1 WR like a Megatron or OBJ but rather a complimentary guy. 

I'm sticking to my original post: what you need is a QB who can find the open guy. Everything else is secondary. If you have a #1 WR, that's the guy Bill Belichick is going to take away from you. If you have five guys spread out running patterns and a QB who can see the field, you don't need that #1 guy. In fact, I could argue that that #1 guy could be a distraction. Of course I'd love another, better, WR on the roster. I think they're thin there, though I hope guys like Dortch and Montgomery can provide a little depth. But I like the TE and RB groups right now. I think they can make up for the WR shortage to a degree. Looking forward to a lot of two-TE sets, too, with Leggett and/or future HoF'er Trevon Wesco. 

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

None of this is even in the conversation unless the DRAFTING improves dramatically. It bears mentioning again Mac is terrible at drafting players. After 4 years his yield stinks. Unless Mac actually darts doing his job, this team will never even make the playoffs.

We'll go based on the 2019 draft as it will be coached by Gase on O and Williams on D. I know many of the failed Mac draft picks couldn't remain on NFL rosters, which is an indictment on Mac, but if just the 5 players/events below occur I'll hold off on Mac being incinerated:

1) DT QWilliams - DC Williams gets the most out of him as an inside pass rusher and run stuffer.

2) OLB JPolite - DC Williams gets him to provide an impact off the Edge even if he is not a starter in year 1.

3) ILB Cashmen - DC Williams gets him to provide some decent depth and rotation play here and there on the D.

4) OT Odego - OC and Gase and OL Pollack get this guy some level of playing time in 2019 and maybe starting at year end or early at RT and/or RG depending on injury/PUP and play of starters.

5) TE Wesco - OC and Gase get this guy multiple roles on O helping the run and the pass.

The above all occurs as stated and more credit is shifted to Mac and more blame(though it is moot) is shifted to the peewee league coaching of Bowles and his OC/DC. 

5 minutes ago, slats said:

@FidelioJet, like these replies you already got, I don't think you're describing a true #1 WR like a Megatron or OBJ but rather a complimentary guy. 

I'm sticking to my original post: what you need is a QB who can find the open guy. Everything else is secondary. If you have a #1 WR, that's the guy Bill Belichick is going to take away from you. If you have five guys spread out running patterns and a QB who can see the field, you don't need that #1 guy. In fact, I could argue that that #1 guy could be a distraction. Of course I'd love another, better, WR on the roster. I think they're thin there, though I hope guys like Dortch and Montgomery can provide a little depth. But I like the TE and RB groups right now. I think they can make up for the WR shortage to a degree. Looking forward to a lot of two-TE sets, too, with Leggett and/or future HoF'er Trevon Wesco. 

I largely agree, however, you need a receiver who can get open as well and get separation via good routes and getting off the line. A good OC can also help with route design and "pick plays".  If you don't have that, no QB can succeed. 

[mention=28455]FidelioJet[/mention], like these replies you already got, I don't think you're describing a true #1 WR like a Megatron or OBJ but rather a complimentary guy. 

Look, I’m not saying they don’t some talent but right now I don’t see a WR I can truly trust as a go to guy. And I certainly don’t want to get into the semantics of #1 WR vs. Go to guy.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

24:25:31
  • Upvote 1

After next offseason, this team SHOULD be one of the best in the AFC. They are projected to have all 7 of their draft picks + a lot of cap space to spend. 

The rebuild is over though. This is no longer a bottom 5-10 team. We should be competitive in most games this year and should win around 7-10 games. 

6 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Ah yes, another classic.  The GM isn't at fault for the failures at his job, because we'll just assume he simply wasn't even doing his own job at all.

BG I don't think Macc has done well drafting and he's obviously made some questionable draft decisions. My argument is the guy is in year 3 of this rebuild not year 5. IMHO this team, needs to make the playoffs this year or Macc may very well be on the hot seat. He has added some nice players this year via FA and the draft lets see how it all plays out

6 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

So Maccagnan's ongoing incompetence for the past 5 years was actually 2 different sets of incompetence, instead of just 1?  Well that's a relief!

Well his first year he added a nice mix of players that should have ended in a playoff berth so that was not a total disaster the loss to the Bills was inexcusable for a team that was basically on a roll up until that point.

1 hour ago, NYJetsDaddy said:

After next offseason, this team SHOULD be one of the best in the AFC. They are projected to have all 7 of their draft picks + a lot of cap space to spend. 

The rebuild is over though. This is no longer a bottom 5-10 team. We should be competitive in most games this year and should win around 7-10 games. 

I’ve seen 2020 mocks putting us at 18-19. That’s on the cusp of the layoffs. 

I think we may surprise this year. 

18 hours ago, JetNation said:

Under-Construction.jpg

A massive spending spree from Jets GM Mike Maccagnan and a top three draft pick mean the Jets have added plenty of players this off-season.  Where will they fit and how does the roster look with the draft behind us?  Alex Varallo and Glenn Naughton take a look while discussing what they believe is the biggest question for the Jets heading in to 2019 while acknowledging some of their past (very) cold takes. Listen to the number one New York Jets Podcast and be sure to follow @JetNation Radio on Twitter.

This episode of JetNation Radio is sponsored by FanDuel Sportsbook – if you’re in New Jersey, you can get a $500 risk free bet when you sign up. This applies to all of their markets, whether you go for NBA, NHL, MLB or anything else! Check it out here.

Be sure to subscribe to us on iTunes or Google Play:

The post Under Construction; How Close are Jets to Completing Rebuild? appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

aP6rYBjPhAs

Click here to read the full story...

Yes I would trade a 1st rounder for an excellent GM. 1st round picks can be recovered, but a great GM is pretty hard to come by. If you get one and you know it, you'd better move heaven and earth to keep him.

6 hours ago, TeddEY said:

The labels are largely irrelevant and just words.  Macc's tenure has been a complete failure, save Dave Gettleman's Barkley decision.  And Trumaine Johnson becoming like the 2nd highest paid CB in the league kind of disputes your "dump all the vets" and "focus on young players" part of the definition anyway.

It's convenient to blame Bowles for all of the teams failures.  It ignores that fact that not one player who the Jets have let go of has made a meaningful contribution to the league when with "better coaching," but it is convenient.  I'm super curious how the draft would have been different were he still here?  Would we not have taken the 'consensus BAP can't believe he fell to us' defensive player at lower impact position?  I mean, that seems super familiar?  Would we not have largely ignored the skill positions and the offensive line?  Would we not have failed to trade down, despite announcing our intent weeks before?  Because all of this draft seems about as 'Todd Bowles' a draft as I can recall.

Its also hard to discuss the possibility of trade downs for all we know he got sh*tty offers and decided to stay put. Everyone seems to have this idea just cause the Jets should do something or attempt too we should automatically have suitors to make such a trade. It was well known we wanted to trade out but that usually happens when a team really wants a QB who will become their franchise guy and that player was just not there, so we really were not in a position to have even a good haul on a possible trade out. That much was evident when just about every team that had their eyes on a player got their player. Giants at 6 Bills at 9 Macc was not going to trade out with a crappy offer. 

In the case of Trumaine ...he sucks ass but he was hardly old for a corner at 27 . You could argue that trade (at the time) got us a corner for 4 _ years . The only way Trumaine excel's is if we develop a pass rush and he only has to cover in a small window just like Revis in 09 10 . Revis turned into a Good or ordinary corner once he didn't have to cover guys in a 10 yard window. So a good pass rush makes a good corner into an exceptional corner. Revis in those two years was a great corner turned into a GOAT corner simply due to Rex's ability to create pressure. If we get a pass rush like that from the players we added and and aggressive Greg Williams defense you might see a crappy Trumaine turn into a good corner not a crappy one. Either way ass soon as possible this guy needs to go and up to this point Macc has been very good in how he structures contracts so he could get out of some of the mistakes he made/

In the case of Todd Bowles he always seemed over the top ecstatic over our picks when shown in the draft room I can't help but think what my eyes told me not some idiot beat writer that Bowles had a big influence. Hard to make the point just like on the possible trade out for more picks but I know what I saw 

I don't want to argue the MAcc success or failures as much as I want to prove the point we were not in rebuild mode when Macc got here, we tried to win now in years one an two then abandoned that in year three. How we feel about Macc has no relevance in that argument

11 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

I’ve seen 2020 mocks putting us at 18-19. That’s on the cusp of the layoffs. 

I think we may surprise this year. 

We may very well make the Playoffs. Sometimes a break here and there with a few wins helps in that regard just like a few freak losses can put the dagger in a supposed playoff caliber team

5 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

As is often said here, its all about Darnold. He got plenty of help this offseason. An Offensive minded HC. By all accounts an excellent OL coach. Leveon Bell, Osemele, and Crowder amongst others.

At this point its up to Darnold to take that step forward in his second year that good young QBs do. I'm hoping we repeat the Ram's result when they fired Fischer, hired an offensive HC (McVay) and Goff took that next big step.

The training wheels are off. I've listened to those who proclaim this kid a generational superstar waiting to happen. So many here are convinced "they saw it".  I wanted to see what you saw, but I can't say I did. I saw a kid who struggled, then showed really nice progress for 3 games. Darnold definitely has the chance to become a top QB and long time NFL starter. Now's the time for us to stop talking about "seeing what we saw" and HIM to make it to happen.

This is spot on. Count me among those who "saw it" and hope it wasn't a mirage. 

I haven't been this optimistic since Vinnie & Co. If Sam takes the hoped for step we're in the mix and it will be fun to tune in on Sundays.

Can't wait!

3 hours ago, Skeptable said:

Every Patriot team minus 2007 was constructed similar to how the Jets are now built... Outside of Brady there is no singular offensive talent that would be all-pro without him (Gronk was always hurt)... The Ravens with Anquan Boldin, possession WR built on Def... Giants last 2 superbowls... Just because the league has had success with the offense lately doesn't mean that it is the only way to win.... Rams had a top Def and Gurley... Goff had a bunch of cast offs like woods ... Without Gurley their offense staggered... We can go at this all day but you are overrating what superbowl teams have on Offense

Gronk was always hurt, except when he retired as the best TE ever and holds every major regular season and playoff season record. 

The Patriots has arguably the best Oline coach in NFL history and consistently has one of the best, if not the best coaching staffs in the league. They wont even give Belichick the "coach of the year" award anymore. 

They have the most winningest QB of all time in Brady. 

So let me get this right, Having the best coach, QB and TE of all time, with both of those all time players mentioned beinf offensive players is how the Jets are now built? 

The Ravens had legit receivers and an awesome special teams along with HOF LB in Ray Lewis and one of the best FS of all time in Ed Reed. 

You telling me that Boldin and Anderson are equivalent?

The Giants had quality offensive weapons in Cruz and had three legit pass rushers in JPP, Umenyora and Strahan during their run. The Jets have Jordan Jenkins.

And the Rams without Gurley made it to the Superbowl, because of the othet talent on the team along with the other RB signing that picked up the slack.

C'mon

3 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Gronk was always hurt, except when he retired as the best TE ever and holds every major regular season and playoff season record. 

The Patriots has arguably the best Oline coach in NFL history and consistently has one of the best, if not the best coaching staffs in the league. They wont even give Belichick the "coach of the year" award anymore. 

They have the most winningest QB of all time in Brady. 

So let me get this right, Having the best coach, QB and TE of all time, with both of those all time players mentioned beinf offensive players is how the Jets are now built? 

The Ravens had legit receivers and an awesome special teams along with HOF LB in Ray Lewis and one of the best FS of all time in Ed Reed. 

You telling me that Boldin and Anderson are equivalent?

The Giants had quality offensive weapons in Cruz and had three legit pass rushers in JPP, Umenyora and Strahan during their run. The Jets have Jordan Jenkins.

And the Rams without Gurley made it to the Superbowl, because of the othet talent on the team along with the other RB signing that picked up the slack.

C'mon

Hindsight is 20/20. Giants were dragged to the playoffs despite manning... 

Rams made the superb owl because of their Def in the playoffs not the offense. 

Ravens had boldin on offense and an ok qb... Brought to the superbowl by their hof inside lb and hof safety... 

Ravens are the easiest comparison... Jets brought in the best inside lb in the league trained by the Ravens and a young safety that is growing into an all star... Darnold is young and growing into a position that he didn't play until college. Bell is a top 3 back that has a chance to be #1... 

That is an exact copy of the Ravens... Instead of an ok wr they have one of the best rb/wrs in the league 

Brady has the best OL coach in the league but the jets just hired the 3rd best in the league... Not #1 but pollock is a game changer. 

Gronk on the field changed how Brady played but before gronk the pats won on their Def before he was a hof qb... 

You sh*t on these players because they are young and haven't proven anything yet... But yet all of these teams were built slowly until one year it all clicked... 

The best jets season in recent memory was 1998 was built off the 2 worst seasons in jets history... Just because you can find holes and sh*t on the jets does not make you right. Yes, history is on your side... So I guess I have to believe it will always be that way, according to you... 

This is the best qb the jets have ever drafted and the majority of jets fans just sh*t on that like it doesn't mean sh*t because they only upgraded 1 position of the 5 olineman... 

They cry he doesn't have weapons yet they paid a hof rb in his prime to play for them... They draft the best blocking Te in the draft to help with the run game... But that means nothing because they didn't draft an oline in a terrible oline draft... 

The arguments here are terrible... Just because you choose to live in the misery of a jets fandom is your choice...

I like the jets hires... I think they were smart for the gase hire and was the best for the jets new QB. I think that hiring an aggressive defensive coach is very smart to take pressure off the offense... I think that getting Bell will make the oline better because of how well he runs... I think Pollock is one of the best oline coaches in the league... I like that adams has passion to win... I love signing a qb of the defense that is at the top of his game... 

Do they have holes... Yes of course... Many... But so does every team in the league at the moment... You have no idea how these FA and draft picks will help till they take the field... Should the jets draft oline... Absolutely... But the 2020 draft has a ton of good prospects at the moment... Do I think the jets can be special this year, maybe... Everyone thought the Yankees were going to be the worst in the league and on the backs of their young players they nearly made the world series.. 

I just choose to think that things will come together rather then focusing on what they should have done. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Its also hard to discuss the possibility of trade downs for all we know he got sh*tty offers and decided to stay put. Everyone seems to have this idea just cause the Jets should do something or attempt too we should automatically have suitors to make such a trade. It was well known we wanted to trade out but that usually happens when a team really wants a QB who will become their franchise guy and that player was just not there, so we really were not in a position to have even a good haul on a possible trade out. That much was evident when just about every team that had their eyes on a player got their player. Giants at 6 Bills at 9 Macc was not going to trade out with a crappy offer. 

In the case of Trumaine ...he sucks ass but he was hardly old for a corner at 27 . You could argue that trade (at the time) got us a corner for 4 _ years . The only way Trumaine excel's is if we develop a pass rush and he only has to cover in a small window just like Revis in 09 10 . Revis turned into a Good or ordinary corner once he didn't have to cover guys in a 10 yard window. So a good pass rush makes a good corner into an exceptional corner. Revis in those two years was a great corner turned into a GOAT corner simply due to Rex's ability to create pressure. If we get a pass rush like that from the players we added and and aggressive Greg Williams defense you might see a crappy Trumaine turn into a good corner not a crappy one. Either way ass soon as possible this guy needs to go and up to this point Macc has been very good in how he structures contracts so he could get out of some of the mistakes he made/

In the case of Todd Bowles he always seemed over the top ecstatic over our picks when shown in the draft room I can't help but think what my eyes told me not some idiot beat writer that Bowles had a big influence. Hard to make the point just like on the possible trade out for more picks but I know what I saw 

I don't want to argue the MAcc success or failures as much as I want to prove the point we were not in rebuild mode when Macc got here, we tried to win now in years one an two then abandoned that in year three. How we feel about Macc has no relevance in that argument

The trade down was only discussed in comparing this draft to other Macc drafts where they clearly tried to trade down.  Not as a criticism of Macc, as I certainly understand value was difficult this time around.

The Bowles thing is telling.  Bowles was smiling after the pick, so it was his idea.  That's what you're basing all of this on... I don't think anymore really needs to be said.  You've confused your eyes with your biases.

39 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

The trade down was only discussed in comparing this draft to other Macc drafts where they clearly tried to trade down.  Not as a criticism of Macc, as I certainly understand value was difficult this time around.

The Bowles thing is telling.  Bowles was smiling after the pick, so it was his idea.  That's what you're basing all of this on... I don't think anymore really needs to be said.  You've confused your eyes with your biases.

Bowles didn't seem to help Mac make better decisions hence he was part of the problem. Trade down was always unlikely unless someone felt that Williams was worth the extreme value of the extra picks it would cost to move up. 

12 hours ago, Apache 51 said:

Yes, now it's about everyone pulling in one direction, chemistry, lil luck and good health.  Not easy, but no excuses.

Veteran head coach with a chip on his shoulder. 

Veteran DC with a chip on his shoulder. 

Easy schedule with very little travel.

New uniforms. 

SAR I

9 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Crowder is a complementary player, as is Anderson and Enunwa. My point isnt to be pessimistic here, but lets be real. What SB team in the last couple decades had a roster similar to the Jets right now? 

Odell Beckham, Jarvis Landry, Antonio Callaway, David Njoku, Nick Chubb, Kareem Hunt and Duke Johnson will totally suck, but the Jets skills group is totally solid. 

• Upvote 1