Sign in to follow this  
jetstream23

Prosecutors allege Kraft attorney lied in court (to the surprise of nobody!)

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26694657/prosecutors-say-kraft-attorneys-lied-court

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- Two of New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft's high-profile defense attorneys lied during his misdemeanor solicitation of prostitution case and falsely alleged a police officer admitted to fabricating a traffic violation to stop another massage parlor customer, prosecutors asserted Tuesday.

The Palm Beach County State Attorney's Office filed a motion asking Judge Leonard Hanser to hold attorneys Alex Spiro and William Burck in contempt and throw out their questioning of Jupiter police officer Scott Kimbark. While questioning Kimbark at a court hearing last week, Spiro accused him of telling other officers he would make up a reason to stop the customer who left the Orchids of Asia Day Spa directly before Kraft in January, using an obscenity to describe what he would do.

Prosecutors say Kimbark never did that.

"There are no rationalizations, justifications, or excuses for Spiro's and Burck's knowing presentation of false and misleading accusations directly affecting the credibility" of Kimbark, prosecutors Judith Arco, Greg Kridos and Craig Williams wrote.

Burck told The Associated Press by phone that he and Spiro "will not be intimidated." He said they will provide evidence supporting their claims. Burck represented former White House Counsel Don McGahn during special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation. Spiro also represents Jay-Z, Mick Jagger and other celebrities in various matters.

"They have made a series of false accusations against us," Burck said. "This is all an obvious and desperate attempt to deflect attention away from the illegal and unconstitutional actions of the Jupiter Police Department and the state lawyers."

Last week, Kraft's attorneys asked the judge to throw out video recordings allegedly showing the 77-year-old owner twice paying for sex in January at Orchids of Asia. Kraft, who is worth $6 billion, is one of 25 men charged with paying between about $50 and $100 for sex. Kraft has pleaded not guilty but issued a public apology for his actions.

In court documents and proceedings, Jupiter police said that after receiving a tip from a neighboring county that Orchids of Asia might be a prostitution front, detectives placed it under surveillance in November and persuaded a judge in January to issue a warrant letting them install hidden cameras in the spa. Kraft's attorneys accused them of lying to obtain the warrant, calling that a violation of the customers' privacy rights.

According to testimony, if detectives monitoring the cameras saw a customer pay for sex, the suspect was tailed by Jupiter officers as he left the parking lot until he committed a traffic violation. He was then pulled over to obtain his identification so he could later be charged with solicitation. The men were not told immediately that they had been seen at Orchids of Asia. Police said they didn't want to tip off the spa's owner about the surveillance.

Kimbark pulled over Kraft's chauffeur after one of his visits. During questioning last week, Spiro asked Kimbark about his recorded conversation with other officers about pulling over the previous customer. Spiro four times accused Kimbark of acknowledging he didn't have probable cause to stop the man, but would "make some ... up," using a common obscenity.

Kimbark denied saying that, as did prosecutors Tuesday. Prosecutors said to avoid telling the man that his traffic violation had occurred in the spa's parking lot, Kimbark was recorded telling another officer that if the man asked about its location he would "come up with something."

Prosecutors said the wording of Spiro's question "was designed to mislead (the judge) as to the lawfulness of the traffic stop."

Burck and Spiro filed a rebuttal late Tuesday saying Spiro "had a good faith basis" to question the officer as he did, based on what he was told by the other man's attorney. They said prosecutors didn't give them Kimbark's video before the hearing as requested.

Prosecutors also accused Spiro of trying to intimidate Kimbark during a lunch break, allegedly telling the officer he had video of Kimbark saying "stupid" things.

Burck in his phone interview laughed at the accusation, saying prosecutors were present during Spiro's conversation with Kimbark.

"If they thought it was such a terrible thing, it is interesting that they decided to raise it a week later and not right after it happened in front of the judge," he said.

David Weinstein, a Miami-based defense attorney and former prosecutor not involved in the case, said he understands the prosecutors' frustration with "these big-time, out-of-town lawyers," but added, "They went a little overboard by filing the motion."

He said Judge Hanser will review the recording, but knows attorneys stretch their questions and arguments as far as they can. If Hanser finds Spiro and Burck crossed the line, he could kick them off the case, Weinstein said.

"The judge is probably really aggravated with both sides," he said.

• Upvote 1

Time for Robert Kraft to meet Bubba or Bobby in a federal prison. 

• Upvote 2

Looks like Kraft’s attorneys could be in trouble but not Kraft himself

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Kraft's already in trouble if you haven't heard.  That's why he needed lawyers in the first place.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

I'm not sure why they're bothering Mr. Kraft, he's rich for goodness sake.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

Well have you seen Kraft? Going by that I'm thinking this isn't the first time he's had to pay for it.

In cases like these you know Kraft is getting off .....the charges I mean

• Upvote 1

One weird thing about this case. Police (at least in California) are WELL aware of what happens in massage parlors. In fact it is assumed that happy endings and some elements of prostitution are happening in these establishments. Vice cops generally allow it, and call them "nuisances" because often times it is better to let them operate which reduces some other forms of prostitution they have to deal with, and frees their time for bigger crimes. They do raid them from time to time, usually around election time as the behest of city council members, but usually they stay in business and the clientele are almost never prosecuted. It sounds like this investigation was instigated by a cop outside of vice, that was offended by the presence of this establishment and not a normal way of handling these types of places.

The other weird thing is that Kraft is an idiot. Doesnt he know that his method of dealing with this makes him look more guilty then if he had just done a plea deal and just explained it away? It would have been done and largely forgotten now. His arrogance not only makes him look guilty but now the video will come out too and that will be really bad for him.

• Upvote 4

23 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

I see a lot of money being spent over an old man getting his rocks off.

Have to keep the U.S. economy stimulated. 

• Upvote 3

Kraft, who is worth $6 billion, is one of 25 men charged with paying between about $50 and $100 for sex.

What is that, minimum, wage?

• Haha 2

Oh Robert, see why upscale hotel rooms and checking in your "bereaved niece" are standard practice in this situation.  He was probably listening to prime era Stones and thought he could get away with cheap thrills for boomers....

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Time for Robert Kraft to meet Bubba in a federal prison. 

@14 in Green who disagrees or knows Bubba WHATS WITH THE NEGATIVE REP?

I usually never leave a negative rep for anyone, I'd rather debate a point I disagree with, so I'll remove it.

In this instance I thought the idea of Federal prison for solicitation was an absurd thing to suggest. You made a weak attempt at humor, it failed, and now you're doubling down on it by editing the post and tagging me. 

I also think we've milked this Kraft story for way more then its worth, especially since the Jupiter Police and DA's office seem to look more and more inept every time they speak. If they weren't into "selective prosecution" here, this thing would've been long forgotten. However Kraft has refused to roll over and cop a plea, so they press on, embarrassing themselves in the process.

ONE FINAL PIECE OF ADVICE JOE. I KNOW YOU WON'T PAY ANY ATTENTION TO IT, BUT THE WAY THINGS HAVE BEEN GOING FOR YOU HERE LATELY, MAYBE YOU SHOULD AVOID THE "BUBBA IN FEDERAL PRISON" JOKES?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

ONE FINAL PIECE OF ADVICE JOE. I KNOW YOU WON'T PAY ANY ATTENTION TO IT, BUT THE WAY THINGS HAVE BEEN GOING FOR YOU HERE LATELY, MAYBE YOU SHOULD AVOID THE "BUBBA IN FEDERAL PRISON" JOKES?

Dude, it never works.  Joe is like herpes, he never goes away and flares up at the worst times.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Par for the course - check!

Business as usual - check!

Status Quo - check!

Patriot Way - check!

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

LMFAO you take this forum and this situation way too seriously and seem to be thin skinned....do me a favor SHUT UP I certainly don't care what you think about anything. You interpret things anyway you want to, usually the warped minded way and always trying to get someone else in trouble. This is called being a TROLL. 

Before you respond with an ill fated attempt to make me look  like the bad guy don't bother I don't care. 

You've chosen to ignore content by 14 in Green. 

Every time I read about this story I become more convinced it does have a happy ending.

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

LMFAO you take this forum and this situation way too seriously and seem to be thin skinned....do me a favor SHUT UP I certainly don't care what you think about anything. You interpret things anyway you want to, usually the warped minded way and always trying to get someone else in trouble. This is called being a TROLL. 

Before you respond with an ill fated attempt to make me look  like the bad guy don't bother I don't care. 

LMAO. I just had the "classic @joewilly12 encounter" on this forum.

You know the one, its when Joe says something crazy to someone in a thread, then when that person calls him on it, Joe goes nuts again and puts them on ignore for 20 minutes or so.

Joe, go back and read what you and I just posted here. Then tell me who took this "situation too seriously and seem to be too thin skinned..." :rolleyes: 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, peebag said:

Dude, it never works.  Joe is like herpes, he never goes away and flares up at the worst times.

Is there a good time? 

26 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU THINK!!! WHY DID YOU LEAVE ME NEGATIVE REP?!?!?!?!

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Kraft, who is worth $6 billion, is one of 25 men charged with paying between about $50 and $100 for sex.

That's why he's worth 6 billion.

On 5/8/2019 at 11:23 AM, johnnysd said:

One weird thing about this case. Police (at least in California) are WELL aware of what happens in massage parlors. In fact it is assumed that happy endings and some elements of prostitution are happening in these establishments. Vice cops generally allow it, and call them "nuisances" because often times it is better to let them operate which reduces some other forms of prostitution they have to deal with, and frees their time for bigger crimes. They do raid them from time to time, usually around election time as the behest of city council members, but usually they stay in business and the clientele are almost never prosecuted. It sounds like this investigation was instigated by a cop outside of vice, that was offended by the presence of this establishment and not a normal way of handling these types of places.

The other weird thing is that Kraft is an idiot. Doesnt he know that his method of dealing with this makes him look more guilty then if he had just done a plea deal and just explained it away? It would have been done and largely forgotten now. His arrogance not only makes him look guilty but now the video will come out too and that will be really bad for him.

can't say i agree.  not having enough money to fight the man i know what it's like to get into the system.  kraft has the money.  once he was tagged with crime it just isn't going to go away any time soon because he's a prominent person.  imo it doesn't matter if he took a plea or fought it.  the pr damage is already done.  and he's likely to get off if he fights the charge.

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

can't say i agree.  not having enough money to fight the man i know what it's like to get into the system.  kraft has the money.  once he was tagged with crime it just isn't going to go away any time soon because he's a prominent person.  imo it doesn't matter if he took a plea or fought it.  the pr damage is already done.  and he's likely to get off if he fights the charge.

Maybe, I was just saying that if he had prevented the video coming out by taking a deal he can spin it, but even if he is found innocent because of fancy lawyering, the video will remove any doubt of innocence in most peoples eyes. The way he is handling this makes him seem silly guilty.

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

Maybe, I was just saying that if he had prevented the video coming out by taking a deal he can spin it, but even if he is found innocent because of fancy lawyering, the video will remove any doubt of innocence in most peoples eyes. The way he is handling this makes him seem silly guilty.

i sort of think seeing his willy will make him even more silly.

On 5/8/2019 at 11:27 AM, NYs Stepchild said:

LOL. One would think that 6 billion would allow Kraft to arrange a discrete encounter with a high-class hooker. Instead, the cheap f*ck went to an Asian Walmart for sex. They should throw him in prison for a few months just for being a miserly wretch.

• Upvote 1

On 5/8/2019 at 7:14 AM, joewilly12 said:

Time for Robert Kraft to meet Bubba or Bobby in a federal prison. 

Why even bother making that joke when there's  no chance in hell of it ever happening.  Nothing. Absolutely  nothing will happen to him. He'll be  in his usual  - **** you, Joe Fan, luxury  box all next season. As he always is

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

This won’t be a happy ending 

Actually,  he's  laughing and Jizzing all the way to the bank,  as usual,as always

• Upvote 1

I find nothing less interesting than an 80 year old man getting a jerk from a 50 year old woman and his lasting spinning yarns about it to try to get him off (har har).

On 5/8/2019 at 10:15 AM, Philc1 said:

Exactly. I can't understand how this hurts Kraft in any way? He'll just hire another scumbag lawyer to his misdeeds. He's got billions to spend on this. But imo if the prosecutors and cops just continue driving forward and doing things the right way, Kraft will ultimately be found guilty. They have him on video and there's nothing more compelling than being able to to watch the crime in open court.

6 hours ago, Hackenberg said:

Actually,  he's  laughing and Jizzing all the way to the bank,  as usual,as always

Laughing all the way to the bank?  He's paying a team of high priced lawyers a small fortune to get this finished as clean as possible.  Not even trying to claim he's innocent, just over on some technicality. 

On 5/8/2019 at 11:27 AM, NYs Stepchild said:

Wealth redistribution?