Jachai Polite's ex-coach defends Jets 'big-time steal'

Well boom or bust the Jets have the right guy in Williams to get the most out of this guy. Hopefully He responds to Williams style of coaching and excels. Macc and the Jets sure need him too. I think Polite will be a work in progress.  Hopefully he gets better and better as the Season goes on and lives up too the building hype. Otherwise he will just be another Macc mistake. We will see.

sometimes these kids just act like kids and don't want to kowtow to the combine scouts.  they're acting too cool for school and all that.  well polite showed them.  he's a third rounder and missed out on all of the extra money he would've gotten for getting picked higher.  and the thing is he's going to be working just as hard for less money.

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

His heart is in the right place” is not an actual, lucid defense of anyone 

Funny thing, that's what I always try to tell myself when I try to reconcile some of the things I read that you promulgate.  Ironic, isn't it TOm?

As for Polite, I see him quickly developing into a cult hero.  Can't wait.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Who cares what his high school coach says... It's high school... Good or bad it means nothing. 

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Jachai Polite’s ex-coach defends Jets’ ‘big-time steal’

Rumph was an assistant at the University of Florida at the time, and the Gators were looking at Polite initially as a tight end. Then, Rumph saw Polite play defensive end against a top-rated tackle who had committed to Auburn.

“He just proceeded to wear this guy out,” Rumph, now the defensive coordinator at Tennessee, said by phone Wednesday. “We were like, ‘Boys, we got us one.’ ”

“I think [the Jets] got a steal with him in the third round,” Rumph, who was Polite’s defensive line coach in 2016-17, said.

image.gif.82b93ab616fb7d81cab7a1e9bbb9e704.gif

• Upvote 4

I honestly hope this kid succeeds and turns into a terror on the edge but I just don't see it. The amount of red flags he is throwing as a prospect almost guarantees his failure, let alone that Mac picked him.

Three years down the road I can see poster after poster saying at least Mac swung for the fences with this pick, yet he ends up missing and striking out again.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, rangerous said:

sometimes these kids just act like kids and don't want to kowtow to the combine scouts.  they're acting too cool for school and all that.  well polite showed them.  he's a third rounder and missed out on all of the extra money he would've gotten for getting picked higher.  and the thing is he's going to be working just as hard for less money.

he should have stayed for his senior season but some lessons are better learned the hard way I guess. in fairness to him though the UF program does not seem to be doing a great job of training their kids. their top prospects have a bad track record with staying healthy- you saw jawaan taylor fall all the way down to 35 too despite widely being considered as a top 15 pick this year

1 minute ago, cant wait said:

he should have stayed for his senior season but some lessons are better learned the hard way I guess. in fairness to him though the UF program does not seem to be doing a great job of training their kids. their top prospects have a bad track record with staying healthy- you saw jawaan taylor fall all the way down to 35 too despite widely being considered as a top 15 pick this year

That’s because Right Tackles normally don’t get drafted in the top 15

• Sympathy 1

Really getting sick of that ridiculously stupid Music in these highlight videos. Who thought that was good choice ?  This kid can play for sure, Lets hope it translates to the NFL.

Also I think Greg Williams will make sure none of those celebrations before the play was over happen on his watch :)

• Upvote 2

Just now, Philc1 said:

Neither Taylor nor Jonah were great OT prospects

Jonah was and always will be considered a LT prospect, hence why he got drafted so high. I agree that Taylor was always a RT prospect and that is why he dropped.

2 minutes ago, RobR said:

Jonah was and always will be considered a LT prospect, hence why he got drafted so high. I agree that Taylor was always a RT prospect and that is why he dropped.

Is that why the bengals are going to move Jonah to Center?

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Which way was yours?

When my brother was living with me, his girlfriend had two chihuahuas and she brought over some disgusting chihuahua rash and gave it to my brother. And even though I bought him his own towels to use, he would continue to use mine and I got this rash on my chest and had to go see a dermatologist, who recommended Herpecin and some pill. A year later, I go for a yearly physical and my doctor brings in this hot nursing intern to help him and what’s the first thing she see when she pops open my chart? Herpes meds. Disgusting 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Neither Taylor nor Jonah were great OT prospects

I wanted Dillard 1st.  I figured mid 1st round.  If they traded lower I was thinking Ford.  I assumed Taylor and Jonah would have been off the board

His actual pass-rush moves are better than Josh Allen's right now.  Allen is the monster prospect because of his size and speed off the snap combo, but he doesn't have crafty moves.  If Allen develops those moves he'll be a monster with his size and get-off.

Polite probably has a higher floor though and will be a better day 1 NFL player.  He could be a beast if he works on those moves more.  I really like his up-and-under move when rushing the edge.  See this play:

https://youtu.be/LqggMXbcmaM?t=135

• Upvote 4