Jachai Polite's ex-coach defends Jets 'big-time steal'

3 minutes ago, CTM said:

My aunt died of diabeetus she caught from the dog, you have to watch those little sh*ts, they are basically petri dishes of communicable diseases covered in fur. 

Well, yeah, I see it now.  After All, they do spend a lot of time licking their own balls.  

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And more importantly Ardarius Stewart has nothing to do with Polite, isn't the same type player as Polite, had nowhere near the production or potential of Polite.

ArDarius Stewart finished top ten in the SEC in receptions, yards, yards per catch, and TDs as a junior, won a National Championship, played in another, then went to the Combine and put up a 4.49/40.

Polite put up 11 sacks one year, showed up to the Combine 20 pounds overweight, showed up to his Pro Day even fatter, dropped a 5.01/40, and talked his way off a bunch of draft boards by blaming his bitch t!ts on some illusory "advice" he was receiving from someone(?) who told Polite it was a good idea to get fat(?) and run 40's with an incurably bad hamstring(?), and Polite believed every bit of this "advice"(????). You're correct that it's unfair to compare Stewart to Polite. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, RobR said:

I honestly hope this kid succeeds and turns into a terror on the edge but I just don't see it. The amount of red flags he is throwing as a prospect almost guarantees his failure, let alone that Mac picked him.

Three years down the road I can see poster after poster saying at least Mac swung for the fences with this pick, yet he ends up missing and striking out again.

This is how I felt when I first heard the pick.  With all the red flags and those numbers, how?  

Since my initial frustration,  I've warmed up it.  Maybe it's because I'm being a huge homer, though I'm typically good at not letting that get in the way of my opinions or maybe it's because I want a pass rusher so desperately that I want this to work out...but here's where I've landed:

I dont think anyone can argue his tape is that of a 1st rounder.  The kid was electric at Florida.  The combine numbers dont add up to what you see on film.  So yes, I might be one of those posters but I do think this is a solid 3rd round pick.  1st round talent who fell for various reasons have been doing pretty well around the league lately.

The other thing that really struck with me is when I saw Todd Grantham say he's right behind Ware and Houston for the fastest twitch players he's ever coached.  If you know anything about Todd, he's not exactly the most complimentary player friendly coach out there and he was already sour on Polite for leaving early.  You could even tell in the interview he was still butt hurt.  In addition to Ware and Houston, Grantham has coached guys like; Freeny, Mathis, Babin, Wimberly and recent combine freaks like Sheldon Rankins and Montez Sweat.  That's pretty high praise from a guy who doesnt usually give high praises about a guy he doesnt have a lot of love for.

I've come around.  I'm good with the pick.  If we can get the Polite from Florida, we're stoked. 

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, CTM said:

Let's not change the subject, did you bang the dog or brothers gf?

Herpes from dogs and towels is like the grownup deviant version of the dog ate my homework. 

It wasn't actually herpes. It was a rash that gets treated with herpes-like medication. Let me be clear. I did not **** a chihuahua.

8 minutes ago, JiF said:

This is how I felt when I first heard the pick.  With all the red flags and those numbers, how?  

Since my initial frustration,  I've warmed up it.  Maybe it's because I'm being a huge homer, though I'm typically good at not letting that get in the way of my opinions or maybe it's because I want a pass rusher so desperately that I want this to work out...but here's where I've landed:

I dont think anyone can argue his tape is that of a 1st rounder.  The kid was electric at Florida.  The combine numbers dont add up to what you see on film.  So yes, I might be one of those posters but I do think this is a solid 3rd round pick.  1st round talent who fell for various reasons have been doing pretty well around the league lately.

The other thing that really struck with me is when I saw Todd Grantham say he's right behind Ware and Houston for the fastest twitch players he's ever coached.  If you know anything about Todd, he's not exactly the most complimentary player friendly coach out there and he was already sour on Polite for leaving early.  You could even tell in the interview he was still butt hurt.  In addition to Ware and Houston, Grantham has coached guys like; Freeny, Mathis, Babin, Wimberly and recent combine freaks like Sheldon Rankins and Montez Sweat.  That's pretty high praise from a guy who doesnt usually give high praises about a guy he doesnt have a lot of love for.

I've come around.  I'm good with the pick.  If we can get the Polite from Florida, we're stoked. 

I'll buy that for a dollar!

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

ArDarius Stewart finished top ten in the SEC in receptions, yards, yards per catch, and TDs as a junior, won a National Championship, played in another, then went to the Combine and put up a 4.49/40.

Polite put up 11 sacks one year, showed up to the Combine 20 pounds overweight, showed up to his Pro Day even fatter, dropped a 5.01/40, and talked his way off a bunch of draft boards by blaming his bitch t!ts on some illusory "advice" he was receiving from someone(?) who told Polite it was a good idea to get fat(?) and run 40's with an incurably bad hamstring(?), and Polite believed every bit of this "advice"(????). You're correct that it's unfair to compare Stewart to Polite. 

And still wasnt the prospect that Polite was.  Polite was a 1st round pick until he tore a leg muscle and screwed up his combine.  You can spin it anyway you want

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Polite was 3rd in the SEC in sacks, 8th in the nation.  3rd in the SEC in tackles for loss, 11th in the nation  He led the nation is forced fumbles. 

Polite will have a much better career than Stewart, not like that is saying much but that's how low the bar was set by Stewart. 

Just now, Jet Nut said:

And still wasnt the prospect that Polite was.  Polite was a 1st round pick until he tore a leg muscle and screwed up his combine.  You can spin it anyway you want

“He was a first round pick until they started talking to him and putting a stopwatch on him” is a weird defense of the player.

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

Polite was 3rd in the SEC in sacks, 8th in the nation.  3rd in the SEC in tackles for loss, 11th in the nation  He led the nation is forced fumbles. 

Polite will have a much better career than Stewart, not like that is saying much but that's how low the bar was set by Stewart. 

I guess if we could count on getting the guy who held it together for three months during his cash-out season, but has been a disaster otherwise, sure. Here’s hoping. 

When my brother was living with me, his girlfriend had two chihuahuas and she brought over some disgusting chihuahua rash and gave it to my brother. And even though I bought him his own towels to use, he would continue to use mine and I got this rash on my chest and had to go see a dermatologist, who recommended Herpecin and some pill. A year later, I go for a yearly physical and my doctor brings in this hot nursing intern to help him and what’s the first thing she see when she pops open my chart? Herpes meds. Disgusting 

You never had a legitimate shot at her anyway ...

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

“He was a first round pick until they started talking to him and putting a stopwatch on him” is a weird defense of the player.

Honest question: have you watched any of him?  Do you think that the combine is truly indicative of his athleticism?  If so how does a player that explosive and fast perform so badly at the combine? 

Call him an idiot, I wont argue but there has to be something to his "story" or excuse or whatever.  It really just doesnt add up.  Especially with Grantham saying he's right behind Ware and Houston from a fast twitch perspective.

I guess if we could count on getting the guy who held it together for three months during his cash-out season, but has been a disaster otherwise, sure. Here’s hoping. 

Huh?  Other than the combine, what's been a disaster?  

How great can the Jets D be if Polite and Big Q are great players? 

Each Level of Jets D with a mixture of good to great players.

The Jets biggest question mark on defense is a starting cornerback alongside Trumaine Johnson. If Mac can fill that need before training camp the Jets defense next season will be the best we've had since Rex.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I know that you are a Jets fan and I believe that you would be happy if the Jets became a good team.  BUT:  the passion infused in your negativity really makes it sound like you are rooting for these guys to fail.  Let me guess:  You will say that you're just being realistic, but that's not how it comes across.  As an example, one of your favorite devices is to reference a player who played a totally different position and shares virtually nothing in common with the player being discussed and suggest that because that player failed, the one that is being discussed also will inevitably fail.  (The failure of a WR bears on the future probability of success of an OLB, really?)  It just comes across as a pessimistic viewpoint, pure and simple.  Maybe it helps you to cope with all the lack of success around this organization but if other people around here want to be positive, that is their prerogative and you don't necessarily need to come down on them like a ton of bricks.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Would you prefer the opposite, "He was off our radar because of lack of production and game film, but once we saw him him at the combine and interviewed him he shot up our boards."?

Polite has plenty of faults, and rarely does a player with so many red flags pan out but for some reason, i think Polite will be the exception. Loved the pick in the 3rd.

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

Honest question: have you watched any of him?  Do you think that the combine is truly indicative of his athleticism?  If so how does a player that explosive and fast perform so badly at the combine? 

Call him an idiot, I wont argue but there has to be something to his "story" or excuse or whatever.  It really just doesnt add up.  Especially with Grantham saying he's right behind Ware and Houston from a fast twitch perspective.

Have you ever seen Shane Ray’s tape? Michael Sam’s? Hau’oli Kikaha? Lots of guys put up big sack numbers in college and look great doing it but it doesn’t carry over because you have to be a freak athlete in the pros. If you’re telling me that Polite is actually a 4.6/40-sub-7 three cone-124”+ broad jump guy who’s just been crippled since January, then I’d be intrigued. Based on the evidence we have—some zapruder film of him rushing the passer effectively for one season but everything else being bad—you have to conclude he’s less than a coin flip to succeed here. Even the people defending him are saying, in a nice way, that he’s an immature dope that they hope can pull it together. 

• Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

I know that you are a Jets fan and I believe that you would be happy if the Jets became a good team.  BUT:  the passion infused in your negativity really makes it sound like you are rooting for these guys to fail.  Let me guess:  You will say that you're just being realistic, but that's not how it comes across.  As an example, one of your favorite devices is to reference a player who played a totally different position and shares virtually nothing in common with the player being discussed and suggest that because that player failed, the one that is being discussed also will inevitably fail.  (The failure of a WR bears on the future probability of success of an OLB, really?)  It just comes across as a pessimistic viewpoint, pure and simple.  Maybe it helps you to cope with all the lack of success around this organization but if other people around here want to be positive, that is their prerogative and you don't necessarily need to come down on them like a ton of bricks.

That’s fair. I am oppressively pessimistic about the Jets. As to the post you’re referencing, someone said that if Belichick had drafted Polite, everyone would think it’s a great pick. I used ArDarius Stewart as a counterexample because you could have said the exact same thing about that player as you could have about Polite and it wouldn’t have made Stewart a better player or pick. Belichick drafted Chase Winovich after we drafted Polite, so we get to see a real-time comparison of How draft picks by each team are perceived versus what they actually produce.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, MindOverMatter said:

Polite has plenty of faults, and rarely does a player with so many red flags pan out

That’s all I’m saying. A single red flag in reference to attitude, OR athleticism, OR maturity is hard to overcome for any edge prospect, but when that player has all three?

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

And more importantly Ardarius Stewart has nothing to do with Polite, isn't the same type player as Polite, had nowhere near the production or potential of Polite.

For Ardarius to be a better player he needed town toughs in a pickup truck to chase him Forrest Gump style & he would have run right out of those leg braces.

• Haha 1

That’s all I’m saying. A single red flag in reference to attitude, OR athleticism, OR maturity is hard to overcome for any edge prospect, but when that player has all three?

but Shane, you've overcome all those red flags 

so, about your mama... what does she do for work, exactly? 

Have you ever seen Shane Ray’s tape? Michael Sam’s? Hau’oli Kikaha? Lots of guys put up big sack numbers in college and look great doing it but it doesn’t carry over because you have to be a freak athlete in the pros. If you’re telling me that Polite is actually a 4.6/40-sub-7 three cone-124”+ broad jump guy who’s just been crippled since January, then I’d be intrigued. Based on the evidence we have—some zapruder film of him rushing the passer effectively for one season but everything else being bad—you have to conclude he’s less than a coin flip to succeed here. Even the people defending him are saying, in a nice way, that he’s an immature dope that they hope can pull it together. 

I get you have to be a freak athlete.  Which is the concern and why we're having this conversation and why he fell to the 3rd.  I'm saying it doesnt add up.  The tape shows a freak.  Grantham said he's Ware/Houston caliber.  You want to brush those off and focus on the one negative thing with Polite, workouts.  Which to a certain extent I get.  If there is one position I think the measurements hold true, it's pass rusher.  I just think there might be something to the fact he was injured and clearly was getting bad advice.  He didnt go from being the hardest working kid on the Gators defense to a piece of sh*t 3 months before the biggest interview of his life.  I'm just trying to piece it together and maybe make myself feel better.  You're probably the wrong person for that conversation.  lol

Oh and none of those guys came close to Polite in terms of the initial burst first step.  Not even close.  All those dudes were just hard nose never give up finally get the QB type of pass rushers.  Not, I got you 2 seconds after the ball was snapped and oh by the way, I'm getting the ball too because I was just shot out of a cannon and can bend like gumby.  Polite was that, those dudes, were not.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

but Shane, you've overcome all those red flags 

so, about your mama... what does she do for work, exactly? 

She was a secretary. I’m sure those interviews with scouts are sh*t. Scouts are hideous failures. If you hold it together for a few weeks with those scouts, you can make $20 million dollars in one day. If you think having a jackass ask you mean questions for a few hours of your life is too much to handle in life, you probably shouldn’t have access to $20 million dollars. Dez Bryant is 30 years old, lasted eight years in the league, and couldn’t get a contract in the NFL if he offered to play for free.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

I get you have to be a freak athlete.  Which is the concern and why we're having this conversation and why he fell to the 3rd.  I'm saying it doesnt add up.  The tape shows a freak.  Grantham said he's Ware/Houston caliber.  You want to brush those off and focus on the one negative thing with Polite, workouts.  Which to a certain extent I get.  If there is one position I think the measurements hold true, it's pass rusher.  I just think there might be something to the fact he was injured and clearly was getting bad advice.  He didnt go from being the hardest working kid on the Gators defense to a piece of sh*t 3 months before the biggest interview of his life.  I'm just trying to piece it together and maybe make myself feel better.  You're probably the wrong person for that conversation.  lol

Oh and none of those guys came close to Polite in terms of the initial burst first step.  Not even close.  All those dudes were just hard nose never give up finally get the QB type of pass rushers.  Not, I got you 2 seconds after the ball was snapped and oh by the way, I'm getting the ball too because I was just shot out of a cannon and can bend like gumby.  Polite was that, those dudes, were not.  

I think we’re both trying to piece it together and we both agree it’d be amazing to luck into a freaky edge rusher in Round Three. I’m coming at it from the skeptical side (surprise!) and you’re looking at it from the hopeful/Gaytor side. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Wow this is stupid.  WTF?  

Please T0m...  I love reading your stuff when it's intelligent and/or clever.  But this is flat out moronic.

50 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

not at all.  Polite is just extremely immature for a 20 or 21 year old.  Some kids take a little longer to think and behave like a responsible adult.  He has exceptional talent.  Stewart did not. 

False analogy. Just stupid.

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

not at all.  Polite is just extremely immature for a 20 or 21 year old.  Some kids take a little longer to think and behave like a responsible adult.  He has exceptional talent.  Stewart did not. 

False analogy. Just stupid.

But I think we’re all just kinda hoping he has the talent. We’re guessing that he’s the kind of high-end athlete it takes to be a good edge rusher. I wasn’t comparing Stewart to Polite as prospects. I was pointing out that “if Belichick drafted X” is flawed and has no relation to how good a draft pick is 

32 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

She was a secretary. I’m sure those interviews with scouts are sh*t. Scouts are hideous failures. If you hold it together for a few weeks with those scouts, you can make $20 million dollars in one day. If you think having a jackass ask you mean questions for a few hours of your life is too much to handle in life, you probably shouldn’t have access to $20 million dollars. Dez Bryant is 30 years old, lasted eight years in the league, and couldn’t get a contract in the NFL if he offered to play for free.

This is going to sound like old man shakes fist at cloud but the 21 year olds I run into can't even handle constructive criticism. Scouting combine interview is like a clockwork orange having your eyes held open for a millennial

you're right. he could have kept it together. It sounds like Polite got baited and it cost him money.

But no one would have cared if he ran a 4.4

Here are 3 profiles on him - which I think might have been done before the combine, as none of them mention anything about it:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/jachai-polite

Lots of very positive comments about him there.  Hopefully they're all right!

A couple of (the best) excerpts from Marino:

Burst - Has dynamic speed up the arc and offensive tackles will be challenged to keep pace with him. Does have some recoil from a two-point stance that needs to be cleaned up. Steps two and three are a blur. Closes down distances rapidly.

Effort - No concerns here. Plays hard on every snap although it is helpful that he rotated quite a bit. Chases down plays from distance and his secondary effort is outstanding as well.

From Ledyard:

Lateral Mobility - All-around movement skills are top-notch. 

Competitive Toughness - Plays with his hair on fire and makes tons of plays in pursuit.

From Crabbs:

First Step Quickness –Woah. When get off is correct and he doesn't false step, this is superb burst. All the more impressive is secondary acceleration through the corner. Plays at a high rate of speed and nothing is done without twitch or burst. Blue chip quality.

Effort level as a rusher is tremendous, however. A lot of second effort plays working back to target.

The main concerns are his size and strength, and whether or not he's strong enough to play the run / be a 3-down player.  (Short answer: probably not.)  And I guess this also explains why he might have wanted to bulk up for the combine...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

After tearing a leg muscle.  Not weird when youre not stirring shlt 

Sometimes it might help to take a step back and breath

14 hours ago, thshadow said:

Here's the thing that I don't get.

A concern that came from the combine / pre-draft process is, if he did that badly for that, he must be lazy and hard to coach.  And yet you never heard that during actual football games, and in fact here is his coach also saying good things about him. 

Another concern is that he was lying about his hammy, and that he's actually as slow as an offensive lineman.  But if anyone has watched any of his tape - that has to be 100% false...

I agree with people that say typically if you can't prepare well for the combine / pro-day, something is wrong, and his explanation sounds pretty far fetched.  But TBH, his explanation sounds a lot more believable than any alternative I can imagine...

IMO the Combine is the WORST way to judge a football player. You want to get measurables for sure, but it tells you nothing about the kind of player the kid is. Look at the busts that have come out of great Combine workouts - Vernon Gholston is at the top of the list and Mike Mamula is not far behind. Just look at the tape and this kid jumps out at you. The Jets got a sure fire steal.

• Upvote 1

I am happy with the risk we took in rd 3. There is a difference between game speed and track speed.  IMO, the combine should be held in full pads.  Even then you cant correctly judge how fast someone is while another person has a hand on you, that is pure strength combined with speed. This guy put together some really impressive film against good opponents. Hopefully he gives our DC something to like and is put in a position to help our team in a position of need.

• Upvote 1