Jachai Polite's ex-coach defends Jets 'big-time steal'

joewilly12

• Shane Ray was a failed first round pick.  I think Polite's tape was good enough for a third-round flyer.   The comparison is Terrell Suggs.  We shall soon see.
  • I am ok with the Jet's first two picks.  I am sort of ok with Chuma-this is where Mac's scouting will come into play.  He needs to be better than Cajuste.  Would the Patriots have taken Chuma if he were there, or was Cajuste the player the Patriots wanted?   Brady or no Brady, the Jets are not going to overtake the Patriots if they can't pick in the 3rd round as well as the Patriots.  
  • It is the fourth round and below where Mac lost me in this draft.  Honestly, I like Wesco, but I think that is a big you make when you already have an OL that you feel good about.   Especially when you hear the predictions for next year's draft, the strategy this year shoudl have been to accumulate picks in the 3-5 round and grab OL.
  • Mac's strategy appears to be to make up the the OL weakness with a two-threat RB, slot receivers and blocking TE.   We shall see soon on that too. 
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

It just comes across as a pessimistic viewpoint, pure and simple.  Maybe it helps you to cope with all the lack of success around this organization but if other people around here want to be positive, that is their prerogative and you don't necessarily need to come down on them like a ton of bricks.

it's called schtick

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

“He was a first round pick until they started talking to him and putting a stopwatch on him” is a weird defense of the player.

You should really try to carve out a couple hours a year where you make a real effort at genuine optimism. Could change your life. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, slats said:

You should really try to carve out a couple hours a year where you make a real effort at genuine optimism. Could change your life. 

I’ll give it a shot right now. 

<focusing>

Ahem

The NFL dropped Jachai Polite a full two rounds in the draft because of a hamstring pull.

Indeed, my life has changed. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’ll give it a shot right now. 

<focusing>

Ahem

The NFL dropped Jachai Polite a full two rounds in the draft because of a hamstring pull.

Indeed, my life has changed. 

I'd say, "don't ever change," but I feel that would be redundant. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

She was a secretary. I’m sure those interviews with scouts are sh*t. Scouts are hideous failures. If you hold it together for a few weeks with those scouts, you can make $20 million dollars in one day. If you think having a jackass ask you mean questions for a few hours of your life is too much to handle in life, you probably shouldn’t have access to $20 million dollars. Dez Bryant is 30 years old, lasted eight years in the league, and couldn’t get a contract in the NFL if he offered to play for free.

I guess Bryant's injuries while playing like pro bowler for the Cowboys had nothing to do with the shortened career, right?  How he was coming out of college and for the majority of his Cowboyz career are conveniently ignored by you in your half-baked attempt to extend your logicless argument. I'm totally disappointed in your performance in this thread. You always do better than this. In fact your performance in this thread is exactly like Polite's at the combine and pro day. Definitely not representative of the usual performance. But using your "logic", you are going to suck big time for the rest of your stay at JN, just like Polite will for the Jets  right?

Now that's a good analogy for you!

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, thshadow said:

Here's the thing that I don't get.

A concern that came from the combine / pre-draft process is, if he did that badly for that, he must be lazy and hard to coach.  And yet you never heard that during actual football games, and in fact here is his coach also saying good things about him. 

Another concern is that he was lying about his hammy, and that he's actually as slow as an offensive lineman.  But if anyone has watched any of his tape - that has to be 100% false...

I agree with people that say typically if you can't prepare well for the combine / pro-day, something is wrong, and his explanation sounds pretty far fetched.  But TBH, his explanation sounds a lot more believable than any alternative I can imagine...

preparing for the combine is an individual thing.  people sometimes are more motivated when they workout  with teammates.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, varjet said:
  • Shane Ray was a failed first round pick.  I think Polite's tape was good enough for a third-round flyer.   The comparison is Terrell Suggs.  We shall soon see.
  • I am ok with the Jet's first two picks.  I am sort of ok with Chuma-this is where Mac's scouting will come into play.  He needs to be better than Cajuste.  Would the Patriots have taken Chuma if he were there, or was Cajuste the player the Patriots wanted?   Brady or no Brady, the Jets are not going to overtake the Patriots if they can't pick in the 3rd round as well as the Patriots.  
  • It is the fourth round and below where Mac lost me in this draft.  Honestly, I like Wesco, but I think that is a big you make when you already have an OL that you feel good about.   Especially when you hear the predictions for next year's draft, the strategy this year shoudl have been to accumulate picks in the 3-5 round and grab OL.
  • Mac's strategy appears to be to make up the the OL weakness with a two-threat RB, slot receivers and blocking TE.   We shall see soon on that too. 

This.

I have no complaints about Rounds 1 - 3.  Ideally, we would have traded down but I'm glad the Jets didn't give up the #3 at a discount simply to accumulate a couple of other picks.  But with that said, Day 3 was tough for me to stomach.  The Jets entered the day with only 2 picks and it's obvious they wanted to move down and accumulate additional picks.  I would have much rather stayed put and taken someone like CB Julian Love rather than take a 6th round swing at CB Blessuan Austin.  I would have rather they took a WR or an OL like Lamont Gaillard rather than another ILB (don't we have about 5 already and one who costs like $85 Trillion?).  I too am okay with Wesco.  I think he'll be good and he'll aid the OLine and running game as well as contribute a catch or two per game, but the Jets really went with a quantity over quality approach.  They only had 5 picks....I get it.  They want to add some more bodies and maneuvered to get 6 players.  I would have been happier with 5 quality guys with decent risk/rewards profiles rather than a blocking TE and two guys with injury histories and other risks.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, thshadow said:

Here's the thing that I don't get.

A concern that came from the combine / pre-draft process is, if he did that badly for that, he must be lazy and hard to coach.  And yet you never heard that during actual football games, and in fact here is his coach also saying good things about him. 

Another concern is that he was lying about his hammy, and that he's actually as slow as an offensive lineman.  But if anyone has watched any of his tape - that has to be 100% false...

I agree with people that say typically if you can't prepare well for the combine / pro-day, something is wrong, and his explanation sounds pretty far fetched.  But TBH, his explanation sounds a lot more believable than any alternative I can imagine...

There’s a big difference between being fast and quick. Having quickness off the ball as opposed to sprinting a 40 yard dash is night and day. A DE has to go about 5-7 yards or less to get to the QB. In addition a lot of very good to great D-Linemen didn’t do exceptionally well in the combine.  Personally I really like this prospect.

2 hours ago, whodeawhodat said:

I am happy with the risk we took in rd 3. There is a difference between game speed and track speed.  IMO, the combine should be held in full pads.  Even then you cant correctly judge how fast someone is while another person has a hand on you, that is pure strength combined with speed. This guy put together some really impressive film against good opponents. Hopefully he gives our DC something to like and is put in a position to help our team in a position of need.

Agree with this 100%

I used to go to the track a lot.  Would watch a 1,000 pound race horse go wire to wire carrying 118 pounds.  Two weeks later the same horse would race similar competition carrying 124 pounds, and finish OOP.

Some guys can carry the extra weight of pads, and some just can't.

4 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

Maybe it helps you to cope with all the lack of success around this organization but if other people around here want to be positive, that is their prerogative and you don't necessarily need to come down on them like a ton of bricks.

I read this earlier but I didn't really notice this part until now. Is this how you guys feel? That I'm coming down on or picking on people that have a positive view of the Jets? If so, I was unaware that it came off that way and certainly wasn't my intention. I apologize if I ever made anyone feel bad or stupid for liking the Jets.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I read this earlier but I didn't really notice this part until now. Is this how you guys feel? That I'm coming down on or picking on people that have a positive view of the Jets? If so, I was unaware that it came off that way and certainly wasn't my intention. I apologize if I ever made anyone feel bad or stupid for liking the Jets.

I have always kind of viewed you as a happy hater.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Still don’t understand how his agent  let him run twice. Either hold him out of the 40 for the combine or stand on the first time. You have to know he was in the 5 range by then

As fans, we typically only hear about 4-5 agents by name. It’s because there are so few good ones. This is an example of what happens when you choose the guy with his medical degree from a Big 10 party school, rather than Harvard.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

What is this sh*t. Your dog herpes must be invading your brain.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I apologize if I ever made anyone feel bad or stupid for liking the Jets.

If you said that we were stupid for liking the Jets, who could argue???

I personally mainly like your negativity, which is usually rational, though sometimes over-the-top. 

In my opinion.

Not that anyone should care...

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Nobody would be confused if you just ended every post with: EAD GFY 😃

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

So @T0mShane hates Jamal Adams and Jachai Polite now?  

PatsFanTX would be so proud of him. 

Nope, apparently his brothers girlfriends dog gave him herpes via a shared towel (wink) , and the miserable sob has developed a conscience 

Next thing I know you'll be coming out as hetero and omg did I wake up in a different timeline or what 

• Haha 1

Maybe I overstated it in the heat of the moment.  Probably my issue more than yours. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, CTM said:

Nope, apparently his brothers girlfriends dog gave him herpes via a shared towel (wink) , and the miserable sob has developed a conscious.

Next thing I know you'll be coming out as hetero and omg did I wake up in a different timeline or what 

Wow you guys are getting a bit personal with peoples personal lives on this forum. 

Quite frankly I don't give a damn what any of you do and how you choose to live your lives. 

Thanks for the heads up on things I may need to expand my ignore list. 

• Haha 1

Adam Gase: Jachai Polite gets a fresh start with us

Posted by Josh Alper on May 10, 2019, 12:28 PM EDT
gettyimages-1038128350-e1557505730345.jp
Getty Images

When Jachai Polite’s final season at Florida came to an end, there were thoughts that his pass rushing ability could make him an early pick in this year’s draft.

Polite wound up going to the Jets in the third round after a poor showing on and off the field at the Scouting Combine. He hurt his hamstring while turning in disappointing results in drills and then complained about teams “bashing” him during interviews, which left him saying he had a lot of people to prove wrong now that he’s in the NFL.

On Friday, Jets coach Adam Gase said that Polite’s new team isn’t in that group. Gase said the rookie is getting a “fresh start.”

“What happened in the past is irrelevant to me,” Gase said at a press conference.

Polite had 11 sacks at Florida last year and the Jets have a big need for pass rush off the edge of their defense, which is a combination that should offer the rookie plenty of opportunities to author a better story.

• Upvote 1

On 5/9/2019 at 7:50 AM, JiF said:

This is how I felt when I first heard the pick.  With all the red flags and those numbers, how?  

Since my initial frustration,  I've warmed up it.  Maybe it's because I'm being a huge homer, though I'm typically good at not letting that get in the way of my opinions or maybe it's because I want a pass rusher so desperately that I want this to work out...but here's where I've landed:

I dont think anyone can argue his tape is that of a 1st rounder.  The kid was electric at Florida.  The combine numbers dont add up to what you see on film.  So yes, I might be one of those posters but I do think this is a solid 3rd round pick.  1st round talent who fell for various reasons have been doing pretty well around the league lately.

The other thing that really struck with me is when I saw Todd Grantham say he's right behind Ware and Houston for the fastest twitch players he's ever coached.  If you know anything about Todd, he's not exactly the most complimentary player friendly coach out there and he was already sour on Polite for leaving early.  You could even tell in the interview he was still butt hurt.  In addition to Ware and Houston, Grantham has coached guys like; Freeny, Mathis, Babin, Wimberly and recent combine freaks like Sheldon Rankins and Montez Sweat.  That's pretty high praise from a guy who doesnt usually give high praises about a guy he doesnt have a lot of love for.

I've come around.  I'm good with the pick.  If we can get the Polite from Florida, we're stoked. 

Sorry @JiF but I missed this post. One thing that is never brought up about Polite is his playing weight and how that transitions to the NFL. The guy was about 230lbs. in college and when he tried to add weight he failed in a miserable fashion.

My only question is how many sub 240lbers in the NFL actually make a difference when it comes to sacking the QB? I can't think of any within the last ten years. 

I sure as hell hope he pans out so I can cheer his name on every upcoming third down......I just don't see it. Time will tell.

17 minutes ago, RobR said:

Sorry @JiF but I missed this post. One thing that is never brought up about Polite is his playing weight and how that transitions to the NFL. The guy was about 230lbs. in college and when he tried to add weight he failed in a miserable fashion.

My only question is how many sub 240lbers in the NFL actually make a difference when it comes to sacking the QB? I can't think of any within the last ten years. 

I sure as hell hope he pans out so I can cheer his name on every upcoming third down......I just don't see it. Time will tell.

I thought his playing weight last year was 245lbs. I'm pretty sure that's what it was.

40 minutes ago, genot said:

I thought his playing weight last year was 245lbs. I'm pretty sure that's what it was.

He just said in todays presser that he played at 235. 

7 minutes ago, RobR said:

He just said in todays presser that he played at 235. 

Lol. Can't believe i missed that. He's going to have to add weight to be an every down player i would think. With today's advances i'm sure they'll come up with some plan for him.

10 minutes ago, genot said:

Lol. Can't believe i missed that. He's going to have to add weight to be an every down player i would think. With today's advances i'm sure they'll come up with some plan for him.

I hope so because his agent or UF didn't do him any favors. If he can't maintain around 245-250lbs. he doesn't have a chance and the odds are already stacked against him.

4 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Even without a training regimen he’ll naturally get to 240-245 in a year or 2. 

Do you even think that weight is enough for a 3-4 OLB that was drafted to rush the passer? I don't, and if you look at the good passrushers in the league they all have something in common......every single one weighs 250lbs. or more.