Cimini: Lee a scheme fit on Jags due to Smith’s absence

Team archer

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Jags were prepared for this. In addition to Josh Allen, they drafted Quincy Williams in the top of the 3rd and acquired 4 vetera LB's shortly after the draft.  I doubt they're giving up any draft capital for a 1 year rental. 

This is absurd. Even if the next team had to move him to Safety, he will be in the league. You're just angry because he was so disappointing with the Jets. How quickly people forget Darron Lee had 3 interceptions last season. Mac has already fielded a few offers for him if the reports were true.

Yup, I remember this exact conversation when we cut Hobson. He was a starter for us for years, was like 27 when we cut him, NE picked him up and the board went nuts. NE cut him in camp and he went to Canada. Same exact path Lee will take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Ridiculous.

Sure he was mocked there but to blame the guy for the situation is just wrong. He was played out of position in a scheme that did not suit him. Should have never been drafted and now it's gone south. He is what he is. Overvaluing players worth is a thing that Jet Fans have done for years. This is nothing new. You should know better.

So it's ridiculous that he was mocked at 19 and picked at 20 so it's Macc screwing up.  Not Lee.  Because he should have drafted who?  

It was a shltty draft to be picking at 19.  You know every draft pick doesn't need someone to be blamed for.  You want to blame Bowles for misusing him, fine, then why give him away now?  Nothing more. 

Now that the draft us over, there’s no reason to trade him unless we get an offer that’s greater than what we would be projected to receive for a comp pick.

I think we would get a 5th comp pick for him. So no reason to trade him unless someone’s offering a 4th, which I doubt anyone is. 

13 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Coughlin would never tolerate Lee

True, he's got his own issues with players in Jax. Bortles got that team to the playoffs with feet in 2017 & beat the Steelers by running for 1st downs. 

Ol lead feet Foles is in for an eye opener after playing behind Kelce, Lane Johnson, Wisniewski & Jason Peters! That line was similar to the Jets in 2009/2010 & beat up the Pats defense in the Super Bowl.

4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

So it's ridiculous that he was mocked at 19 and picked at 20 so it's Macc screwing up.  Not Lee.  Because he should have drafted who?  

It was a shltty draft to be picking at 19.  You know every draft pick doesn't need someone to be blamed for.  You want to blame Bowles for misusing him, fine, then why give him away now?  Nothing more. 

Well pal I'm not the one advocating trading him. In fact if you read the damn thread you see I say I don't think they will trade him. He is relatively cheap and his cost is already factored in for this season. I doubt they resign him but that's besides the point.

Lee was not suited for the scheme they were running at the time and should have never been drafted for that scheme. Macc did the drafting correct? Considering how most of his draft picks have turned out AND he wasn't let go with Bowles Macc should be held accountable no? I'm not going to get into an argument with you about Macc needing to be fired or not because that's not what this thread is about. Lee is a cheap back-up at this point who will most likely not be re-signed. His trade value is non-existent at his point and you could do worse for the price you're paying him. What a 5th or 6th rounder at most? I would rather keep him at his cap number than have to replace him with an unknown.

1 minute ago, JetFaninMI said:

Well pal I'm not the one advocating trading him. In fact if you read the damn thread you see I say I don't think they will trade him. He is relatively cheap and his cost is already factored in for this season. I doubt they resign him but that's besides the point.

Lee was not suited for the scheme they were running at the time and should have never been drafted for that scheme. Macc did the drafting correct? Considering how most of his draft picks have turned out AND he wasn't let go with Bowles Macc should be held accountable no? I'm not going to get into an argument with you about Macc needing to be fired or not because that's not what this thread is about. Lee is a cheap back-up at this point who will most likely not be re-signed. His trade value is non-existent at his point and you could do worse for the price you're paying him. What a 5th or 6th rounder at most? I would rather keep him at his cap number than have to replace him with an unknown.

We're not talking about the rest of his picks, we're talking about Lee.  And no, when a player is taken where he was rated, wasn't a reach and no one of note was taken after him there's nothing to be held accountable for.  What's so hard here to see it or to admit this one isn't one of Maccs screwed up picks.  I said keep him, see what he does under Williams, maybe we get lucky that it was all Bowles.

23 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I think there will be a market for Lee at some point this offseason.  Perhaps the Jags are the right trade partner.  But I'm fine with the Jets holding the line on compensation and not letting Lee go for something like a 5th or 6th rounder.  He's a NFL starter....even if he's not a great one.  I would probably take a 4th for him.

But bigger question, would you try for a major trade here and make a run at CB Jalen Ramsey?  I don't know if a 2nd Round pick in 2020 + Darron Lee would get it done (likely not) but CB is the remaining big need on this Defense.

Why? Who? He's nothing but a backup right now on this roster.  Did Macc try and trade him during the draft? Probably but no takers for the lousy compensation that was offered or he would have been gone already.  A #1 and Lee for Ramsey may get it done. Dont see Jags giving Ramsey away for nothing. 

23 hours ago, GreenFish said:

I would hate to continue to use our prime resources on defense but Ramsey is an elite player at a premium position. Those guys don’t hit FA and get drafted in the 1st round. He also hasn’t turned 25 yet. 

I would trade our 2020 1st and Lee for Ramsey and their 2020 4th.

That leaves Center as the only glaring whole. WR and Edge are TBD as well. Those might be areas of need. 

Great, use another first round pick on D in an offensive league. That makes it, what, 30 out of the last 31 years?

33 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

We're not talking about the rest of his picks, we're talking about Lee.  And no, when a player is taken where he was rated, wasn't a reach and no one of note was taken after him there's nothing to be held accountable for.  What's so hard here to see it or to admit this one isn't one of Maccs screwed up picks.  I said keep him, see what he does under Williams, maybe we get lucky that it was all Bowles.

Lee has been a huge BUST. Sure, many 1st round picks were busts before and after Lee was taken.  That's not the issue. But to say there weren't others of note there for the taking is ridiculous.

Jaylon Smith
Myles Jack
Chris Jones
Sterling Shepard
Derrick Henry
Michael Thomas
Nick Martin  

All these players were taken AFTER lee and have been highly productive.  Greg Williams isn't going to turn Lee into Jack lambert.  

Lee was consistently mocked in the mid to late first round, picking him at 20 was not viewed as a reach at all.

The bottom line on Lee coming out was that he was surrounded by studs on that Ohio St. defense and was really a linebacker who played in A LOT of space, space that he needed to be successful.

The idea when we drafted him was that he was going to be playing behind the likes of Mo Wilkerson, Leo Williams & Sheldon Richardson.  Problem is, Wilkerson, Williams and Richardson never turned out to be the studs that the FO envisioned them to be.  If they were, I think Lee would have been in a much better position to succeed.

Instead, he's just been crap in an otherwise crappy defense.  The only hope for Lee with the Jets is that Williams makes him better from a coaching standpoint and maybe the combination of Leo and Q can help make him better on the field because Leo and Q become what Leo, Wilkerson and Richardson were supposed to be.

7 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Lee has been a huge BUST. Sure, many 1st round picks were busts before and after Lee was taken.  That's not the issue. But to say there weren't others of note there for the taking is ridiculous.

Jaylon Smith
Myles Jack
Chris Jones
Sterling Shepard
Derrick Henry
Michael Thomas
Nick Martin  

All these players were taken AFTER lee and have been highly productive.  Greg Williams isn't going to turn Lee into Jack lambert.  

Jaylon Smith was drafted a year later.

Myles Jack was a 2nd rd pick and is nothing to wish for

Derrick Henry 2nd rd pick.  

You're not going to blame a team for not drafting a 2nd rd talent in the first.  That's ridiculous.  Like blaming a GM of 6 rounds of the draft for not taking Brady with any of those picks.

7 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Jaylon Smith was drafted a year later.

Myles Jack was a 2nd rd pick and is nothing to wish for

Derrick Henry 2nd rd pick.  

You're not going to blame a team for not drafting a 2nd rd talent in the first.  That's ridiculous.  Like blaming a GM of 6 rounds of the draft for not taking Brady with any of those picks.

Illogical argument. Just because they were drafted in 2nd round is meaningless. All these players have played way better than Lee. And Jaylon was picked in 2016 by the Cowboys and sat a year. You couldn’t trade Lee for any of them. Indicative that Macc is a terrible evaluator of talent. 

56 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Illogical argument. Just because they were drafted in 2nd round is meaningless. All these players have played way better than Lee. And Jaylon was picked in 2016 by the Cowboys and sat a year. You couldn’t trade Lee for any of them. Inductive that Macc is a terrible evaluator of talent. 

No it's the right answer.  You're bringing in players out of the first as players that should have been drafted in the first.  None who are good enough to be 1st rd picks.  

That you believe a GM should be blamed for a 2nd or lower round player not being taken in the 1st is nonsense.  Pure nonsense.  You could make this argument every year. There are always players who play over their college potential and those that don't develop. Not always a talent evaluation issue.  Not one evaluator had those players rated higher than Lee.  It happens.   He's screwed up a lot of picks, this one wasn't anyone's fault other than Lee

2 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Jaylon Smith
Myles Jack
Chris Jones
Sterling Shepard
Derrick Henry
Michael Thomas
Nick Martin  

Good post but you're also leaving out Jackson and Clark who were picked just after Lee.

5 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

No it's the right answer.  You're bringing in players out of the first as players that should have been drafted in the first.  None who are good enough to be 1st rd picks.  

That you believe a GM should be blamed for a 2nd or lower round player not being taken in the 1st is nonsense.  Pure nonsense.  You could make this argument every year. There are always players who play over their college potential and those that don't develop. Not always a talent evaluation issue.  Not one evaluator had those players rated higher than Lee.  It happens.   He's screwed up a lot of picks, this one wasn't anyone's fault other than Lee

The draft is a crapshoot. Everyone knows this. The bottom line is no owner is going to continue endorsing a GM that continues to whiff on his draft picks regardless of where they’re drafted. Macc has a horrible draft record. His top picks have miserably underachieved with the exception of Darnold who fell into lap.  The only other pick he’s made that has shown promise is Herndon. Yes Lee sucks and is at fault but Macc shares the blame for picking him in the first place. 

Well, one thing that definitely should be noted. He was a 1st rounder number 20 overall that's NEVER lived up to where he was taken. The compensation the Jets might get from another team in return for Lee is where should have been taken to begin with.

Remember Toilet telling the press how Lee was going to play inside and outside, that he would be rushing the passer? Lol

On 5/9/2019 at 5:16 PM, NYJ1 said:

Lee definitely has trade value. That's been debated here quite a bit, but it's really a ridiculous argument. Lee was a really BAD player for the Jets. He was a poor fit for the 3-4 hybrid defense toilet ran. But that certainly doesn't mean he was useless? That's people that are just pissed with his arrogance in light of his embarrassing play. I understand. 

However, there are also posters here that think he should be kept and will play under Williams? I find that claim to be very risky, if not preposterous. Lee will not get anywhere near the amount of play those posters think he will. The Jets just paid BIG bucks for CJ Moseley. They will play him as often as possible. 

There's also posters that think holding on to him could possibly increase his trade value. I suppose that's possible, but it would have to be a team that's desperate to find LB on the fly? Like they're competing for a SB and just lost a very important cog in their defense. I think more than likely as the season wears on his trade value will decrease more and more. They know he'll be cut after this season anyway.

So honestly I think they should be shopping him right now. Don't mess around and do not go into the regular season with him on your roster. Make a deal before the regular season to get a player in return that addresses a position of need. That's the best approach imo.

My personal belief tells me the Jets could get a 4th rounder for him. If the Jets hold on to him hoping they can get a 3rd rounder for him in a compensatory pick? That's quite frankly absurd. There's no way he'd play enough to get a 3rd rounder, not with Moseley on the team.

The question is how many teams have a need for Lee's specific skill set.  Is it 5, 3, 1 and does he have any value in Williams defense.  Lee played some good football last year, but no one is going to trade for him if he's not a fit in their defense.  He's not for everyone.

14 hours ago, Greensleeves said:

Great, use another first round pick on D in an offensive league. That makes it, what, 30 out of the last 31 years?

Normally I would say your crazy to not want arguably the best corner in football .. but with the caliber of receivers coming out in this class gotta keep that 1st . 

15 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

You're talking in circles. Nowhere in that post do I mention Macc's other picks. In fact all talk about is Lee. I never said Lee was a reach I said he was not suited to the scheme they were running. Macc is the only holdover and he drafted him. Who should be held accountable?

On 5/10/2019 at 1:07 AM, NYJ1 said:

This is absurd. Even if the next team had to move him to Safety, he will be in the league. You're just angry because he was so disappointing with the Jets. How quickly people forget Darron Lee had 3 interceptions last season. Mac has already fielded a few offers for him if the reports were true.

Mac**** also had potential trade partners for the 3rd pick too.

Any Lee trade would have to be player for player no draft picks, we will take the Jags problem child’s Fournette, and Ramsey for a 3rd, Lee, and Leo Williams.

Or Lee str8 up for Fournette.  Run Fournette into the ground all year keeping Bell outside more of a pass catcher keeping him fresh for December while Fournette basically plays very little except for some situational football where his skill is needed, and then boom both RB’s healthy for January should the Jets find themselves playing still.

On 5/10/2019 at 11:02 AM, Jet Nut said:

I think the Jets had their hearts set on K Neal, but Bowles was also smitten with Lee while maybe Macc was not as smitten well because Neal was his guy, but when looking at most draft boards Lee was right in line with that, and Macc seeing that match up, and making his HC happy at the same time probably seemed like a safe easy decision at the time, and in hindsight for the players picked after Lee (next 5-10 picks) maybe 1 is a good player.

The whole problem there was Macc not accepting the trade down with the Cowboys so they could get Paxton Lynch for more draft capital, and could have taken Jaylon Smith instead of the Cowboys.  Hindsight.

On 5/10/2019 at 4:49 PM, Wonderboy said:

Jaylon Smith
Myles Jack
Chris Jones
Sterling Shepard
Derrick Henry
Michael Thomas
Nick Martin  

Holy 20-20 hindsight. 

This is exactly what I was talking about in the other thread. 

Dudes googling “2016 NFL Draft” looking up stats and saying “we shoulda drafted DIS GUY!”  

Geezuz. 

On 5/10/2019 at 11:02 AM, Jet Nut said:

You’re arguing with a bunch of whiny cucks using perfect 20-20 hindsight to bury the pick. 

He didn’t pan out. In hindsight. 

With foresight, he was picked right about where he should have been picked. 

Some times it doesn’t work out. Especially in such a weak draft. 

6 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Holy 20-20 hindsight. 

Dudes googling “2016 NFL Draft” looking up stats and saying “we shoulda drafted DIS GUY!”  

Geezuz. 

He also fails to mention all those players were 2nd round picks if my memory serves me correctly, the only player you can argue there for is Will Fuller, but you know the Jets thought Decker, and Marshall had 10 more years of 2015 production in them ??.  

Though I was all for drafting Jaylon Smith in Rd 1, and would have been even more ecstatic getting him in a trade down with the Cowboys who were aggressively trying to get that pick for Lynch, but Macc didn’t like the value to move back like 15 picks in the part of the draft where just about every single player has a almost identical grade, and is no guarantee to be a long term starter, but hey what do I know over here on my couch (not hindsight I was “pounding the table” for Smith, and/or trade back once the draft unfolded the way it did the Jets sitting there with the last 1st round QB left according to most teams, and the Jets sitting in the drivers seat to get much needed extra assets, but you know Darron Lee was just way to good to pass no matter the trade value blah blah blah blah blah........

10 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Holy 20-20 hindsight. 

Geezuz. 

Wow you should get a job reading palms. I guess you picked my card

9277A720-658E-4F8E-A992-C95F1312BEEA.jpeg

1 minute ago, Lupz27 said:

He also fails to mention all those players were 2nd round picks if my memory serves me correctly, the only player you can argue there for is Will Fuller, but you know the Jets thought Decker, and Marshall had 10 more years of 2015 production in them ??.  

Though I was all for drafting Jaylon Smith in Rd 1, and would have been even more ecstatic getting him in a trade down with the Cowboys who were aggressively trying to get that pick for Lynch, but Macc didn’t like the value to move back like 15 picks in the part of the draft where just about every single player has a almost identical grade, and is no guarantee to be a long term starter, but hey what do I know over here on my couch (not hindsight I was “pounding the table” for Smith, and/or trade back once the draft unfolded the way it did the Jets sitting there with the last 1st round QB left according to most teams, and the Jets sitting in the drivers seat to get much needed extra assets, but you know Darron Lee was just way to good to pass no matter the trade value blah blah blah blah blah........

If Mac used a first round pick to draft a player who had to sit out a whole year he would have gotten crucified. 

He used a freaking 6th round pick on an injured CB and people are killing Mac. 

This place is insane. 

8 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

He if the shoe fits. 

Well since you have no idea what it means I’ll give you a brief idea

The Fool represents new beginnings and carefree adventure. Though this card could indicate foolishness, it is more optimistic in the sense that it stands for pure actions and being free from the constraints of your present life. More than likely, there are important decisions coming your way, and the answer to your question is YES.

943686BC-B071-4AB3-914F-8726385698B6.jpeg

Guess that makes you an idiot. ?

2 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Well since you have no idea what it means I’ll give you a brief idea

The Fool represents new beginnings and carefree adventure. Though this card could indicate foolishness, it is more optimistic in the sense that it stands for pure actions and being free from the constraints of your present life. More than likely, there are important decisions coming your way, and the answer to your 

943686BC-B071-4AB3-914F-8726385698B6.jpeg

Guess that makes you an idiot. ?

Only an idiot believes in tarot cards. 

Archived