Rank the players on the Jets Defense

Take the top 11 (or 12) players on the Defense and rank them from best to worst.  Who are the best and most talented players?  Who are on the bottom rung and need to be prioritized for upgrade/replacement in the next year or so?  For purposes of this discussion feel free to include rookies and try to project how talented you feel they are, and if you want to include 12 players due to frequently used sub packages (like nickel, etc.) go for it.

I want to get a sense for where the strengths of this defense are and our tiers of players.

My attempt below...

1. LB C.J. Mosely

2. S Jamal Adams

3. DE Leo Williams

4. DT Quinnen Williams

5. OLB Jordan Jenkins

6. DE Henry Anderson

7. S Marcus Maye

8. LB Avery Williamson

9. CB Trumaine Johnson

10. OLB Jachai Polite

11. CB Brian Poole

12. CB Daryl Roberts

This was not as easy to do as I thought partially because of the unknowns surrounding rookies (I could potentially see both QW and Polite two to three spots higher next year) but also due to some injury/availability concerns clouding certain guys like Maye and even T. Johnson who obviously had a down year compared to his previous seasons.  Johnson at 9 is strictly based on his 2018 season when his prior two years were played under the Franchise Tag with the Rams.  He could turn out to be higher on the list as well after this year. I admittedly don't know much about Poole but I know the Falcons didn't really want him back, refusing to tender him at the low level amount.  He started 21 of 47 games and was signed by the Jets for 1-year and $3.5M.  I didn't include Darron Lee in my list.

I expect people to have different rankings, maybe even significantly different.  But based on mine a few things pop out.....The Jets have a potentially dominant Front 7 with the only real question being how well they can pressure from the Edge with guys like Polite, Jenkins, Copeland, etc.  5 of my Top 6 players are in the Front 7.  Aside from Safeties the Jets are looking vulnerable in the Secondary.  CB is my biggest concern.

5 of my Top 7 were acquired through the Draft by the Jets, Mosely came via FA and Henry Anderson was acquired via Trade.

Finally, it was hard for me to separate and rank the guys below QW.  I think we clearly have 4 excellent, potentially Pro Bowl caliber players with my first 4.  The next group could probably have been ordered any which way and at least to me seem like similar caliber players.  

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Take the top 11 (or 12) players on the Defense and rank them from best to worst.  Who are the best and most talented players?  Who are on the bottom rung and need to be prioritized for upgrade/replacement in the next year or so?  For purposes of this discussion feel free to include rookies and try to project how talented you feel they are, and if you want to include 12 players due to frequently used sub packages (like nickel, etc.) go for it.

I want to get a sense for where the strengths of this defense are and our tiers of players.

My attempt below...

1. LB C.J. Mosely

2. S Jamal Adams

3. DE Leo Williams

4. DT Quinnen Williams

5. OLB Jordan Jenkins

6. DE Henry Anderson

7. S Marcus Maye

8. LB Avery Williamson

9. CB Trumaine Johnson

10. OLB Jachai Polite

11. CB Brian Poole

12. CB Daryl Roberts

This was not as easy to do as I thought partially because of the unknowns surrounding rookies (I could potentially see both QW and Polite two to three spots higher next year) but also due to some injury/availability concerns clouding certain guys like Maye and even T. Johnson who obviously had a down year compared to his previous seasons.  Johnson at 9 is strictly based on his 2018 season when his prior two years were played under the Franchise Tag with the Rams.  He could turn out to be higher on the list as well after this year. I admittedly don't know much about Poole but I know the Falcons didn't really want him back, refusing to tender him at the low level amount.  He started 21 of 47 games and was signed by the Jets for 1-year and $3.5M.  I didn't include Darron Lee in my list.

I expect people to have different rankings, maybe even significantly different.  But based on mine a few things pop out.....The Jets have a potentially dominant Front 7 with the only real question being how well they can pressure from the Edge with guys like Polite, Jenkins, Copeland, etc.  5 of my Top 6 players are in the Front 7.  Aside from Safeties the Jets are looking vulnerable in the Secondary.  CB is my biggest concern.

5 of my Top 7 were acquired through the Draft by the Jets, Mosely came via FA and Henry Anderson was acquired via Trade.

Finally, it was hard for me to separate and rank the guys below QW.  I think we clearly have 4 excellent, potentially Pro Bowl caliber players with my first 4.  The next group could probably have been ordered any which way and at least to me seem like similar caliber players.  

Good list and solid reasoning. If healthy and playing at a high level, imo Trumaine J. and Avery Williamson deserve to be higher. Williamson put up solid stats in the middle last year and now he will have an even bigger bully (Mosley) next to him. Trumaine i'm hoping can go back to playing press with Williams on board, if that happens he should go back to being a top 10-15 corner. 

The wildcards are Polite, Maye staying healthy and how good the Williams bros can be in the middle. If they all reach expectations it will be a fun year, especially with the offense presumably pulling their weight.

• Upvote 4

CJ Mosely

Jamal Adams

Leo Williams

Henry Anderson

Avery Williamson

Le'Veon Bell (he will be the defense's best friend by keeping them off the field)

Jordan Jenkins

Frankie Luvu

Daryl Roberts

50 feet of crap...

Trumaine Johnson

(The other guys are unknowns or injured too much ala Maye)

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

My attempt below...

1. LB C.J. Mosely

2. S Jamal Adams

3. DE Leo Williams

4. DT Quinnen Williams

5. OLB Jordan Jenkins

6. DE Henry Anderson

7. S Marcus Maye

8. LB Avery Williamson

9. CB Trumaine Johnson

10. OLB Jachai Polite

11. CB Brian Poole

12. CB Daryl Roberts

Where is Fatukasi?

My initial reaction would be to drop Leo below Quinnen, Jenkins below Henry, and Maye below Williamson.  

The secondary is going to be bad next year.  

1. LB C.J. Mosely

2. S Jamal Adams

3. DT Quinnen Williams

4.DE Leo Williams

5. DE Henry Anderson

6.OLB Jordan Jenkins

7. LB Avery Williamson

8.S Marcus Maye

9. CB Trumaine Johnson

10. OLB Jachai Polite

11. CB Brian Poole

12. CB Daryl Roberts

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

My attempt below...

1. LB C.J. Mosely

2. S Jamal Adams

3. DE Leo Williams

4. DT Quinnen Williams

5. OLB Jordan Jenkins

6. DE Henry Anderson

7. S Marcus Maye

8. LB Avery Williamson

9. CB Trumaine Johnson

10. OLB Jachai Polite

11. CB Brian Poole

12. CB Daryl Roberts

My list looks like this:

1) Mosley

2) Adams

3) L. Williams

4) Williamson

5) Anderson

6) Jenkins

7) Maye

8) Roberts

9) Johnson

10) Nate Shepard

11) Q. Williams

12) Polite

Why isn't Shepard listed? He's been playing for a year now. 

I'm never going to rank rookies any better than dead last when they haven't ever taken a snap. That would be like ranking the players in 2016 and placing Hackenberg as top 10 on offense. Or Vernon Gholston on defense in 2008? Must wait and see.....

17 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

1) Jamal

2) Mosley

3) Leo

4) Trumaine

5) Quinnen

6) Anderson

7) Maye

8 ) Jenkins

9) Polite

10) Roberts

11) Poole

12) Copeland

This pretty much nails it.  Adams is the best player on this D like it or not forget the nonsense.

T Johnson way better than he played last year coaching staff was a complete mess. 

List is missing Williamson though

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Titan24 said:

This pretty much nails it.  Adams is the best player on this D like it or not forget the nonsense.

T Johnson way better than he played last year coaching staff was a complete mess. 

List is missing Williamson though

Oh. Totally forgot about Williamson. I’ll probably slot him somewhere around Anderson, Maye etc 

13 hours ago, MindOverMatter said:

Good list and solid reasoning. If healthy and playing at a high level, imo Trumaine J. and Avery Williamson deserve to be higher. Williamson put up solid stats in the middle last year and now he will have an even bigger bully (Mosley) next to him. Trumaine i'm hoping can go back to playing press with Williams on board, if that happens he should go back to being a top 10-15 corner. 

The wildcards are Polite, Maye staying healthy and how good the Williams bros can be in the middle. If they all reach expectations it will be a fun year, especially with the offense presumably pulling their weight.

yep.  those are the guys who could be bumped up a bit.  we'll see soon enough.  trumaine will be all pro if the williams bros get enough push on the dline.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, varjet said:

My initial reaction would be to drop Leo below Quinnen, Jenkins below Henry, and Maye below Williamson.  

The secondary is going to be bad next year.  

1. LB C.J. Mosely

2. S Jamal Adams

3. DT Quinnen Williams

4.DE Leo Williams

5. DE Henry Anderson

6.OLB Jordan Jenkins

7. LB Avery Williamson

8.S Marcus Maye

9. CB Trumaine Johnson

10. OLB Jachai Polite

11. CB Brian Poole

12. CB Daryl Roberts

Tru is a lot better then he played last year... although he is not worth the money he was given... and I firmly believe that they are either going to sign Mo or trade for a Peterson or Harris.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Mosley > Adams > Williamson > Leo > Anderson > Jenkins > Johnson > Maye > Roberts > Poole > Q. Will

Rookies gotta prove it. 

Definitely to the bold.  As much as I hated the Quinnen pick, I have nothing against him as a player, but you also don't start touting the guy as one of the team's best players when he has done literally nothing in the NFL.

In truth, I doubt either him or Polite will be handed starting jobs.  While there's a very good chance they could win those jobs, I'm sure they'll still first be tasked with beating out McLendon/Anderson and Copeland.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Jet9 said:

Just read a quick article on him. Really seems like boom or bust but the personality questions seem to be misplaced. He doesnt sound like a bad guy.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2019/05/08/jachai-polites-ex-coach-calms-concerns-on-jets-big-time-steal/amp/

Before the combine he was projected to go top 15 by many. We got him in the 3rd!

he was always a disruption in FL.

He was never a problem in college.

his coaches like him.

ok, so he showed up a little fat to the combine and maybe had a lingering injury and did a bad job.

its a total steal for the jets. He will be a fan favorite

• Upvote 1

Yeah, no doubt the rookies are completely impossible to rank at this point, but that's why I suggested simply projecting them to what you think or expect they can be.  I do think QW is the real deal (he better be!) and by the end of the year he should be one of the top 3-5 players on the D.  Polite is MUCH harder to assess and it's still not clear if he'll be on the field for 1st downs or eventually become an every down player.  I think he'll certainly see the field on 3rd downs, 2nd and long, passing situations, etc.  Wouldn't surprise if Polite gets off to a slow/average start and is a much better player by November and December.

Trumaine has more variability in people's rankings than any other player.  Based on last year he's outside the Top 8.  Based on his 2016 and 2017 seasons with the Rams (and his contract), he should be a Top 4-5 player on this team.  It all comes down to some questionable coaching and mishandling of him last year, and what Gregg Williams can do with him in 2019.  Put it this way, if TJ ends up as one of the top players on the D in 2019, then the Jets defense is going to be great.

5 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Before the combine he was projected to go top 15 by many. We got him in the 3rd!

he was always a disruption in FL.

He was never a problem in college.

his coaches like him.

ok, so he showed up a little fat to the combine and maybe had a lingering injury and did a bad job.

its a total steal for the jets. He will be a fan favorite

This.  And, there's no pressure on him coming in here.  I trust the film and on-field production more than any type of timed test or combine workout.  That's the same reason Terrell Suggs dropped in the Draft.....and that guy is going to the HOF and has 100+ sacks in the NFL.

Some of the mock drafts for Polite AFTER his college football season but BEFORE the Combine and Pro Day (roughly February time period)....

928340243_ScreenShot2019-04-29at4_15_13PM.png.172e21592f4cd94d72cea2c5bef15490.png

1345155012_ScreenShot2019-04-29at4_14_38PM.png.fac50cc069a5db60263ca22ddd0e3cec.png

1514068592_ScreenShot2019-04-29at4_14_03PM.png.965a07c9ef48e1b8960ac9b84f0221f7.png