How mad were you all when Washignton poached the players in 2003?

Beerfish

I remember my older brother telling me about this back then, and I was pissed, even though I didn't know what it meant.

Nowadays, though, I know that if you end up losing a bunch of your free agents it's because either a) they weren't worth signing again, b) they didn't want to stay, or c) you planned your cap management poorly and it's your own damn fault.

So, I see no reason to blame the Redskins for that.

The Jetskins- we got roasted

the most Bradway move ever was trading Santana Moss a first round pick for Laveranues Coles the guy we let walk in the first place.

we also lost that really good guard- maybe the last time we used a second round pick on an OL

2 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Didn't they get Santana Moss the year before?

Moss didn’t put it together until after the 2003 season was already over

Mo Lewis and Marvin Jones both simultaneously hit the wall which killed our defense

Just now, David Harris said:

the most Bradway move ever was trading Santana Moss a first round pick for Laveranues Coles the guy we let walk in the first place.

we also lost that really good guard- maybe the last time we used a second round pick on an OL

Randy Thomas?  Yeah and then we lost Mackenzie a year later to the friggin Giants of all teams

the worst part was losing Coles when he was really good and then trading for him once he started declining for Moss, who just leaped into his prime.

At the time it seemed to have made sense. The Jets had a noodle armed QB and one of the best deep WR threats in the league. Moss's best skills were being held back. Coles was a possession WR, good for the short passes of Pennington.

Could have had one of the best WR does in the league. The Jets couldn't have screwed it up any worse.

47 minutes ago, David Harris said:

I remember hating that move with moss and coles but good lord I didn’t know it was that dumb. 

Pretty upset. I know who you're talking about without looking:

1) Chad Morton

2) Lav Coles

3) John Hall

4) Randy Thomas

losing Morton was a major blow to ST. All about avoidable years or something stupid like that.

Coles was Penny's best receiver. That hurt probably the most. Randy Thomas was a major leader and motivator in the locker room. John Hall probably hurt the least. The 2002 played with grit and determination after Herms, " You play to win the game " rant. I'm 2003, everything fell apart. Pennys broken/dislocated wrist started the season off in a very bad way. The Jets took a major step backwards that offseason. Broadway wasted two 1st rounders trading up to get Dwayne Robertson and the guy sucked.

7 minutes ago, jgb said:

Losing Pete Kendall was worse 

Kendall was a lousy low character dog when he left.  He was good when we got him but when he threw his hissy fit about a promise to re do his deal or whatever it was he totally let it affect him on the field.  In a preseason game he was playing center if I recall and was snapping as bad as spencer long, quite on purpose it looked like.

I have a bad memory but between losing the Penny to Coles connection,Randy Thomas it really screwed the chemistry. Not to mention McKenzie a year later. Ugh.  I myself was mad as hell. Then we trade Moss for Coles back only to realize chad didn't have the arm for a receiver like Moss and he became very good with a QB who he could utilize his skill set. I remember Parcels taking Jason Ferguson to the Cowboys and we would get run all over which drove me crazy. Don't remember the year though. We got gashed for a while after losing him.  He was an important part of that line. 

15 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Kendall was a lousy low character dog when he left.  He was good when we got him but when he threw his hissy fit about a promise to re do his deal or whatever it was he totally let it affect him on the field.  In a preseason game he was playing center if I recall and was snapping as bad as spencer long, quite on purpose it looked like.

Kendall was forced to play Center in 2005 and stunk. The following season he moved back to Guard and helped groom Mangold and Brick.  Mangini got rid of Kendall because he was a delegate with the NFLPA and knew the labor rules so he called Mangini on his crap if he ever tried to violate the CBA

So he wasn’t low character he just didn’t  suck up to Mangina

27 minutes ago, jgb said:

As good as the 2009 OL was the early 2000’s OL Parcells built with mid to low draft picks and signing Mawae was even better.

And Bradway mismanaged the cap so bad we lost everyone 

Funny, I was thinking about this recently.  I was extremely upset at the time, and it was made worse by Dan Snyder gloating about it after we lost the third player due to some contract error (I think it was Morton).  The Jets offense was money that year and it was just heartbreaking to see some perennially inept franchises just come in and gut us like that.  It killed me at the time and I’ve hated the Redskins and Dan Snyder ever since.

I’m surprised by the posters who are saying Morton wasn’t a big loss.  He was one of my favorite players that year - came out of nowhere and was the best returner in the game that year.  Also got involved with the offense in a gimmicky way.  Really fun to watch.

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

As good as the 2009 OL was the early 2000’s OL Parcells built with mid to low draft picks and signing Mawae was even better.

And Bradway mismanaged the cap so bad we lost everyone 

That OL was the best in the league, hands down.   We were so spoiled as fans because shortly after that we rebuilt with Brick and Nick.  Hopefully we can get back there!

And man how great was it back in 2002 having the best OL with two young ascending WRs and a QB?  I know we didn’t win the super bowl, but that was really fun to watch.

I was mad about Coles.  The others were just business, but letting Coles go in his prime was an act of stupidity.  Him and Moss would've been good together, especially in the 2004 season.  Who knows, maybe Chad never gets hurt in the Buffalo game then and they really do compete with NE for the AFC championship?

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Kendall was forced to play Center in 2005 and stunk. The following season he moved back to Guard and helped groom Mangold and Brick.  Mangini got rid of Kendall because he was a delegate with the NFLPA and knew the labor rules so he called Mangini on his crap if he ever tried to violate the CBA

So he wasn’t low character he just didn’t  suck up to Mangina

His performance at center and in that camp 100% showed he was low character.  He essentially threw and ex game and let his Qb take shots because he was pissed off.  Low character.

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I was not around as a fan back then.  How much of an uproar or hate was there in this fan base when the Redskins signed Coles, Morton and Randy Thomas?

Hate losing Coles and Thomas.  Think they stole John Hall too.

Worst part was that f'face Snyder bragging how he stole all of them from us an would bring Washington a championship.  

Think most fans thought Morton was a product of the system.   It he was signed by us and got out through a court order where the judge turned out to be a long time Wash. season ticket holder.  

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

He wanted to be paid according to a prior verbal agreement. When he complained, Mangini sent him to the rookie dorms at camp as punishment. Imagine if your boss reneged on the promise to give you a raise and then made you sit with the interns In retaliation for you standing up for yourself. It wouldn’t be all warm fuzzies at the office for you, either, and is actually unlawful retaliation in any other context but professional sports.

He wanted to be paid according to a prior verbal agreement. When he complained, Mangini sent him to the rookie dorms at camp as punishment. Imagine if your boss reneged on the promise to give you a raise and then made you sit with the interns In retaliation for you standing up for yourself. It wouldn’t be all warm fuzzies at the office for you, either, and is actually unlawful retaliation in any other context but professional sports.
Please remember this was the pre self.deserving millennials era.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Correct.....never bad to show guys like that the door.

11 hours ago, jgb said:

They didn't LOSE Pete Kendall. He forced the Jets to trade him. Tanny and Mangini pulled a fast one on Kendall. They thought they would get away with it but they were wrong. Kendall called them out and I think I would have done the same.

Archived