Adam Gase press conference

7 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Why would you have to tell someone you will show up to something mandatory??

Im no scholar but doesnt everyone have to be there hence its “mandatory”?

As a response to media-driven skepticism. Obviously.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Probably the same kind of reasons that people asked over and over again why he wasn't in for voluntary workouts.  You had no problem complaining about Bell choosing to workout at home and missing voluntary workouts.  Or does mandatory paint a clearer description than voluntary?

Or because he was asked 1000 times if he expects Bell will show.

****. When you get it, it’s a glaring example of how dumb our typical fans are.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Cimini: ...your relationship with Mike...

Gase: Unless I say it, it’s really irrelevant to me. I don’t know who decides to put that stuff out there. It kinda pisses me off a little bit. We have discussions about everything and that’s our job. We have to work through so much stuff and that’s what we’ve gotta do and that’s all we’ve done. [sh*t about his office, my office, constant communication]. We’re trying to put this thing together as well as we can in the shortest period of time.

Cimini: ...Disagreements?

Gase: Sure. If everyone agreed on everything it’d be boring. You have to have some excitement every once in awhile. 

It's not quite the story pushed earlier.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

It's not quite the story pushed earlier.  

Gase just gave a press conference regarding rookie camp and treated it like it was the Spanish Inquisition. Not too much of a stretch to believe he’s fairly high strung as it concerns the team he’s about to coach and the obvious loser who built it. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

3 hours ago, docdhc said:

If you watched it he actually treated it like a press conference in May when the season starts in September. To make more of it than that is just pushing some hyper critical narrative that fits your shtick but not reality. 

It may be a schtick but I’ll be durned it hits like 95% of the time

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, jgb said:

It may be a schtick but I’ll be durned it hits like 95% of the time

I’d say 50-50 especially when opining on Mac and Adams.  I’m not saying it’s not often clever, funny, or entertaining but sometimes i like a little reality. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Like it worked in Miami? So by next year his players will already be turning on him and wanting out?

I understand your concern, and it is valid.   I believe the difference is Sam Darnold.  Gase is the hard-ass captain, and Darnold the deck boss.  The captain can push really hard... but if the deck boss is a likeable leader, knows what he is doing, and the boat is pulling in tons of crab; the crew is content and more importantly productive.  

I lived in Colorado during the Bronco Super Bowl years.  I see Mike Shanahan in Gase.  Shanny, aka "the mastermind", worked in Denver but not so much in Washington.  The difference was QB play. Shanahan even did fairly well with Plummer.  Just like Gase when Tannehill actually played.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, shuler82 said:

Isn’t not being Todd Bowles enough?

For starters yes but that will wear off soon enough.

Beat Miami twice and split with the Pats.  Those two things will add up to a really nice rookie campaign almost regardless of what happens in the other 12 games this year.

I think it’s really going to be something that could help our defense, especially up the middle,” Gase said Friday of the Jets picking Williams. “The push up the middle is going to be big for us, especially in this division.”

Typically, teams that can get a good pass rush push up the middle are effective against Brady.

Friday, when the Jets began their rookie orientation weekend, marked Gase’s first public comments about Williams, since Gase didn’t speak to reporters on draft weekend.

Williams played all over the defensive line at Alabama, and Gase envisions something similar happening with the Jets under defensive coordinator Gregg Williams.

“With the way Gregg does things, he’ll play a lot of different spots," Gase said of Williams’ role with the Jets. "Everybody plays a lot of spots [on the defensive line in Williams’ system]. There’s a lot of different personnel groupings. Nobody is really set in one area.”

So expect to see Williams lining up some as a traditional nose tackle, some as a three-technique tackle (on the offensive guard’s outside shoulder), and perhaps some on the edge of the Jets’ defensive line, to take advantage of his quickness.

“Gregg moves these guys around so much, it’s hard to really pinpoint them,” Gase said.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, docdhc said:

If you watched it he actually treated it like a press conference in May when the season starts in September. To make more of it than that is just pushing some hyper critical narrative that fits your shtick but not reality. 

What does that mean: a press conference in May when the season starts in September? That the press conferences get easier or less contentious in September? I like Gase and I enjoy that no-nonsense demeanor, and I’d be deeply concerned if he wasn’t pressuring Maccagnan to improve his performance and change his philosophy of team building. Given how Gase chose to answer these questions, it’s significantly harder to believe that Gase *didn’t* have an issue with Maccagnan this off-season than the opposite. This thread is filled with comments about how great it is that Gase is a straight-shooting hardo who tells it like it is. Well, you look at what he said and he doesn’t deny the issue with Maccagnan for a second. Cimini gave him three different ways to deny the story and Gase deflected each time. “We are in constant communication/we’re trying to get a lot of things done/free agency is hard, we had a plan, agents lie.” None of that ever comes close to approximating a denial. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Cliff notes so far:

he hates the media

he hates answering questions

he hates free agency

he hates agents

he hates the draft process

he hates dealing with the front office

He LOVES Darnold

so far so good.  all he has to do is win.

23 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Why would you have to tell someone you will show up to something mandatory??

Im no scholar but doesnt everyone have to be there hence its “mandatory”?

Probably because of the media attention around it. I would probably do the same thing. Go talk to my coach and make sure we are on the same page. 

12 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Gase just gave a press conference regarding rookie camp and treated it like it was the Spanish Inquisition. Not too much of a stretch to believe he’s fairly high strung as it concerns the team he’s about to coach and the obvious loser who built it. 

Not too much too much of a stretch?  This whole take from you is an extreme stretch that only you see.

I like Gase, there are some red flags for sure, but any coach we got was going to have question marks.

you should have a disciplined team

you should have a competent offense

you should have good game plans

if they win his pain in the assery will be part of his charm, if they don’t, it will be his undoing.

I really think of all the possible hires he was the best choice. 

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, David Harris said:

I loved the Gase presser.  The jets lacked accountability- Gase and Williams will call guys out and they are all football all the time. Detail oriented and will coach these guys hard, they needed a kick in the ass.

Accountability is calling out Macc for his horrendous record and inability to build a team

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, jack48 said:

I love the way he threw in the "No disrespect" at the end

I love that backhanded dig. 

Btw I don’t give a half baked crap how he responds to the media. He does not give a f*ck and that makes me happy. Coach, design innovative offensive mismatches, develop Sam, that’s all I want from him. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

What does that mean: a press conference in May when the season starts in September? That the press conferences get easier or less contentious in September? I like Gase and I enjoy that no-nonsense demeanor, and I’d be deeply concerned if he wasn’t pressuring Maccagnan to improve his performance and change his philosophy of team building. Given how Gase chose to answer these questions, it’s significantly harder to believe that Gase *didn’t* have an issue with Maccagnan this off-season than the opposite. This thread is filled with comments about how great it is that Gase is a straight-shooting hardo who tells it like it is. Well, you look at what he said and he doesn’t deny the issue with Maccagnan for a second. Cimini gave him three different ways to deny the story and Gase deflected each time. “We are in constant communication/we’re trying to get a lot of things done/free agency is hard, we had a plan, agents lie.” None of that ever comes close to approximating a denial. 

In September he can talk about actual football. Opponents, game performance, why they won or lost. This stuff now is not significant to me. He has disagreements on personnel which seems normal and it morphs into a story that he’s trying to push Mac out and bring the Eagles guy in, which seems to be a fantasy. You can try and parse every sentence to suggest dysfunction but I still think it’s no big deal. 

On 5/10/2019 at 12:16 PM, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Cliff notes so far:

he hates the media

he hates answering questions

he hates free agency

he hates agents

he hates the draft process

he hates dealing with the front office

He LOVES Darnold

That’s all I need to know. I’m gonna love the coach.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, docdhc said:

In September he can talk about actual football. Opponents, game performance, why they won or lost. This stuff now is not significant to me. He has disagreements on personnel which seems normal and it morphs into a story that he’s trying to push Mac out and bring the Eagles guy in, which seems to be a fantasy. You can try and parse every sentence to suggest dysfunction but I still think it’s no big deal. 

If there's a disagreement on Bell then that's going to linger all season long. 

2 hours ago, docdhc said:

He has disagreements on personnel which seems normal and it morphs into a story that he’s trying to push Mac out and bring the Eagles guy in, which seems to be a fantasy

Do you think someone pulled the name of the Eagles guy out of a hat? 

6 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

If there's a disagreement on Bell then that's going to linger all season long. 

If you had to guess, you’d say that the disagreement about Bell involved Gase wanting to take a hard stance about him not being at camp and Maccagnan not having the spine to do it. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

If you had to guess, you’d say that the disagreement about Bell involved Gase wanting to take a hard stance about him not being at camp and Maccagnan not having the spine to do it. 

Or there’s no disagreement at all and it’s just a crummy Jets beat writer trying to generate twitter views? Equally as likely to be true.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, static14 said:

Or there’s no disagreement at all and it’s just a crummy Jets beat writer trying to generate twitter views? Equally as likely to be true.

Cimini asked Gase if there had been disagreements and Gase said yes, but maybe Gase is in on the conspiracy 

9 minutes ago, static14 said:

We'll see how it progresses. If Bell no shows OTA's (likely) then we'll get probably something from Gase. Chris Johnson probably doesnt love the fact Gase speaks out, considering how absurdly guarded the franchise has been over the last 5 years or so.