What if Polite AND Quinnen BOTH shine?

Im so bored right now but i was thinking......

This team has the worst luck drafting ever. ......

What if the stars align and not only does QW become a star but Polite also becomes a force?

How good can this defense be? All you guys are doom and gloom and I get it, but this defense on paper should be pretty good. So how good if the 2 rooks are home runs?

24 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

What if the stars align and not only does QW become a star but Polite also becomes a force?

How good can this defense be? All you guys are doom and gloom and I get it, but this defense on paper should be pretty good. So how good if the 2 rooks are home runs?

If they're both great, we'll have a much better D-Line.

As for the Defense, in your both shine scenario, it will be as good as the top two-three Cornerbacks make it.  

1 hour ago, HighPitch said:

Cant wait until we talk like this about the offense, or the team overall.

Always defense.

I'm all in on Polite, since we haven't had a pass rusher since 2005.  There's tons of red flags on him, but if he plays here like he did at Florida, that'll be Macc's best draft pick in his tenure here. 

Can Quinnen Williams shine as a NT?  Probably not.  We need him playing the 3-4 DE spot as much as possible in 2019. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm all in on Polite, since we haven't had a pass rusher since 2005.  There's tons of red flags on him, but if he plays here like he did at Florida, that'll be Macc's best draft pick in his tenure here. 

Can Quinnen Williams shine as a NT?  Probably not.  We need him playing the 3-4 DE spot as much as possible in 2019. 

Don't underestimate the power of interior pressure. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Then the Jets lose 13-10 instead of 33-10 ?‍♂️

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I don't, but its almost impossible to generate that from the NT position.  4-3 DT or 3-4 DE, yes.  But not NT.

Agreed unless he is the second coming of Kris Jenkins.  Which I don’t think Q Will will be, but then again we may never see another player as dominant as he was when healthy.

• Sympathy 1

If they're both great, we'll have a much better D-Line.
As for the Defense, in your both shine scenario, it will be as good as the top two-three Cornerbacks make it.  

Interestingly I think the db’s in general have an opportunity to be much better than last year. They KO interview in another thread spoke volumes toward how this team went about the day to day. Lacking energy or intensity. No accountability. One week with Greg Williams and staff and everyone “grinding”.

If these two young guys come out and shine as the OP pondered, and couple with a new found intensity we have the ability to be a very good defense.

D line and pass rush are a CB’s best friend.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I don't, but its almost impossible to generate that from the NT position.  4-3 DT or 3-4 DE, yes.  But not NT.

You keep saying this but it's highly unlikely that QW will be playing at the zero tech. He'll be lining up in the one and three gaps and thus should be able too generate pressure. 

You do realize that every player labeled as a NT is not the same depending on the defensive scheme? 

You want to say something like we'd be the #1 defense if both hit, and definitely both hitting would make us much better. But likely what we would see is teams attacking the other edge away from polites side both in run and pass and seeing if the Jets can stand up to it.

• Upvote 1

You keep saying this but it's highly unlikely that QW will be playing at the zero tech. He'll be lining up in the one and three gaps and thus should be able too generate pressure.  You do realize that every player labeled as a NT is not the same depending on the defensive scheme? 

He’ll still be the one in the middle getting double and triple teamed, right? Thought so.

It can always be schemed in. Plenty of ways to get him 1 on 1.

People keep saying this, but I don’t see any reason to believe it’ll happen all that often. Gregg Williams is no genius and there’s very few players on our defense to fear on passing downs.

5 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Cant wait until we talk like this about the offense, or the team overall.

Always defense.

A great defense helps a good offense. If we had Sam on our 2009, 2010 squad, we may be repeat Super Bowl winners. 

Even with an average at best O-line, Sam is a smart enough QB to escape the run and make plays. 

• Upvote 4