What if Polite AND Quinnen BOTH shine?

39 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He’ll still be the one in the middle getting double and triple teamed, right? Thought so.

You're missing the point on how he will be used. He's NOT going to be a double gap zero tech which most people assume when the hear the NT comparisons.

I posted earlier in another thread about a Williams defense and then another poster put up a great article about a Wade Phillips 3-4 attacking style defense.

All interior DT's get double teamed, it's part of playing the position. The ones drafted 3rd overall should be able too overcome it and excel.

It would confirm Mac should have traded down?

Maybe it signals the Jets would have the best DL of all the teams that missed the playoffs?

or Leo is cut or traded for peanuts?

not a ton of transformation goodness from this revelation, considering the #3 pick is expected to shine and polite is boom or bust prospect - heads or tails?

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Im so bored right now but i was thinking......

This team has the worst luck drafting ever. ......

What if the stars align and not only does QW become a star but Polite also becomes a force?

How good can this defense be? All you guys are doom and gloom and I get it, but this defense on paper should be pretty good. So how good if the 2 rooks are home runs?

If they add another CB and Q and Polite hit it big they could easily be top 5. I don't think many opponents hold out hope of running the ball against us already?

12 hours ago, HighPitch said:

What if the stars align and not only does QW become a star but Polite also becomes a force?

How good can this defense be? All you guys are doom and gloom and I get it, but this defense on paper should be pretty good. So how good if the 2 rooks are home runs?

Then next off season we can complain how much they’re both going to cost 4 years from now 

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Beerfish said:

If Q Williams shines the Jets will trade or let Leo williams go.

If polite shines we will have a thing on defense we have lacked for 10-15 years and it will be a true game changer for our defense.

If polite shines it will be far more important to the defense than if Q Williams shines.

Q Williams shining could enable Polite shining.  

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Quick passes to the outside and that force is neutralized. Pats do it very well. Our biggest weakness is our #2 CB position. #1CB hasn’t done well either. Maybe Q can help the CBs with pressure up the middle, causing the pocket to collapse. Shady will lay down like a cheap hooker. 

What I find to be rather conspicuous is even after two rookies turn out to be superstars (in this scenario) and a resulting top 5 to number 1 defense, no one is talking SB seriously?

So what would still be missing?

WR, OL, BETTER QB PLAY, BETTER ST, etc.

The Jets still have a lot of needs to be SB ready. WR and OL would be players that are currently not on the roster. The same may/May not be said for special teams. The ST last season were pretty good but they parted ways with both of their pro bowlers. So honestly this unit to me is a mystery?

Last, but not least is Sammy must play better. Don't get me wrong, I'm not beating up on the guy, but his play last season was NOT good enough for even a playoff spot.

So I guess this thread is very telling? Even if the defense ended the season as number 1, the Jets still wouldn't be looking at a SB. They're simply not good enough.

11 hours ago, RobR said:

You're missing the point on how he will be used. He's NOT going to be a double gap zero tech which most people assume when the hear the NT comparisons.

I posted earlier in another thread about a Williams defense and then another poster put up a great article about a Wade Phillips 3-4 attacking style defense.

All interior DT's get double teamed, it's part of playing the position. The ones drafted 3rd overall should be able too overcome it and excel.

Teams are going to have to pick and choose who they double-team on any given down. It's gonna be hard to double QW every snap with Leo on one side of him, Anderson (who had seven sacks last year) on the other, and Mosley and Williamson standing behind them, with Polite coming from somewhere. If the rookies pan out, this is a very formidable front seven. 

I get the laments about the Jets' CBs, but every CB gets worse the longer the QB has to throw the ball. The key against these fast-paced, short-pass offenses is to get a hand in the QB's face right up the middle. The Jets should be built to do that now. 

It's no coincidence that every team in Tom Brady's division took a DT in the first round. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

28 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

What i get out of this thread is most guys are super jaded.

heres a possibility thats been brushed aside: if q and p are a hit, we might be playoff bound.

or are the jets always going to suck? And nothing will ever change that?

I want the Jets to be a great NFL football team (not to suck) I want to see them win a championship and I think the key to getting there is Sam's development and signing high draft picks to second contracts because they earned it, QW does very little to help Sam and probably spells the end for Leo, so I am not excited about the draft, just felt like bad rerun...

I watched rookie camp on NFL network and all the other teams glowing about new offensive pieces, it's just frustrating 

QW seems like a great kid, Bell is a great addition and Sam is showing teflon, and yes we have to watch them play, hope burns eternal

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Pretty good. A D needs help from the other 2 phases ie. field position, and keeping the opposing O off the field by at least moving the chains. 6 points not 3 is key also, we don't want Pro Bowl kickers more like Qb's, Rb's, Wr's.

There is another lesson for you Sheena.

20 hours ago, HighPitch said:

key word is if.  williams is about as close to a sure thing that there is.  polite may turn out pretty well.  remember when mauldin was first on the team?  it looked like he was going to be a good player for his draft position.  it didn't work out.  polite has enough size and quickness to be a decent player.  he needs to put it all together upstairs.  and it would be a great thing if the jets hit on these tow guys.  throw in the guard too.  it's not an unreasonable opinion but at the end of the day mac still has to do a better job drafting players.

1 hour ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

I want the Jets to be a great NFL football team (not to suck) I want to see them win a championship and I think the key to getting there is Sam's development and signing high draft picks to second contracts because they earned it, QW does very little to help Sam and probably spells the end for Leo, so I am not excited about the draft, just felt like bad rerun...

I watched rookie camp on NFL network and all the other teams glowing about new offensive pieces, it's just frustrating 

QW seems like a great kid, Bell is a great addition and Sam is showing teflon, and yes we have to watch them play, hope burns eternal

Wow!  Imagine how much more they would be glowing if they added Bell, Crowder and Osemele.

1 hour ago, Apache 51 said:

Pretty good. A D needs help from the other 2 phases ie. field position, and keeping the opposing O off the field by at least moving the chains. 6 points not 3 is key also, we don't want Pro Bowl kickers more like Qb's, Rb's, Wr's.

There is another lesson for you Sheena.

The was Rex Ryan's trick. The years he had great defenses here the Jets' ground & pound offense was 8th & 9th in time of possession. Last year the Jets were 25th. Jets also weren't scoring a lot of points, so the defense wasn't really challenged. This is why I'm really not hung up on defensive rankings at all. Most important stats to me are takeaways and points against. If the Jets are putting up points this year, the defense is gonna wind up giving up yards. And I'm 100% fine with that. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, BettyBoop said:

Wow!  Imagine how much more they would be glowing if they added Bell, Crowder and Osemele.

No top draft picks (was talking about rookie camp)

and Bell is the only real addition (as I mentioned) - Osemele (coming off IR) replaces Carpenter who was good before last year and Crowder replaced Kearse who had a good first year and down year last year too - short term fixes to replace short term fixes

be happy if you want, I am not trying to pee in your cereal but please don't try to tell me the Jets helped Sam as much as they invested in him or a DT matters without a FQB

take a look at what Griggs did for Andrew Luck in the last two years after the team almost lost their FQB to IR thanks to previous  GM and lack of support for the OL

19 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Interestingly I think the db’s in general have an opportunity to be much better than last year. They KO interview in another thread spoke volumes toward how this team went about the day to day. Lacking energy or intensity. No accountability. One week with Greg Williams and staff and everyone “grinding”.

If these two young guys come out and shine as the OP pondered, and couple with a new found intensity we have the ability to be a very good defense.

D line and pass rush are a CB’s best friend.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Honestly with today’s rules making it impossible to play defense as a CB, yes there are a few guys who can lock down average WR’s who play for teams with terrible offensive schemes cough cough.  

I think DC’s who have an open mind about change, and the direction the league is going the most important thing to look for in DB’s isn’t man to man skills (listen if a great talent comes out he is the exception, they are very few and far between now), it’s can you create turnovers.  This is where in hindsight if your Macc, and Bowles, and hell bent on drafting a Safety at 6 it would have been so much smarter to trade back with whoever was calling in the top 15, and select a ball hawk FS in Hooker even knowing he missed half his rookie season, or more with an injury.

Greg Williams is all about creating turnovers, and IF he had his Darren Sharper IE Malik Hooker, but hopefully Maye can stay healthy, and be useful in that role, and he gets Tru back to the turnover creator he was using him at the LOS for man bump and run, and if our 4 MLB’s can play fast, and loose maybe Lee, Mosley, Williamson, and Adams can create some Fumbles, and get some scoops with scores, or decent returns.  Fumbles are where it’s gonna be at for this defense l just don’t see many INT’s from the secondary unless Williams schemes crazy confusing looks, and QB’s gift them, our guys are not gonna be flying around to passes making read, diagnose, be right, and be in better position to intercept that ball, maybe some big hits jar some in the air over the middle kind of like fumbles that land it Jets players hands.

Love Williams, hate the personal on that side of the ball for him to deploy a 2009 Saints type D.

If it’s me I ask Greg Williams if he thinks Eric Berry can play that Sharper like Center Field, if 80% healthy he can IMO, and is an immediate upgrade for what Williams will want to do with that position over Maye who can become the Jets 5th LB in the new 3-5-3 front ?

Berry would be a game changer on, and more importantly IMO OFF the field for Adams, and Maye, not to mention the likelihood of Maye being hurt most of the year anyways so another FS is needed why not get the best available?

• WTF? 1

And then you woke up!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app