Mid-May Musings

7 hours ago, CTM said:

As you said, most, if not all  of Bell, Mosley, Crowder and Osemele will not be here in 3/4 years.  All should be high performers but are at the back end of their prime, and overpaid due to a QB making peanuts (yet designed to be cut with no cap hit when it's time to pay Darnold).

I'm think Mac sold and is attempting to execute a 2 year championship window to the johnson

So you're saying Brady will be retired in 2 years?

26 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

Exactly.  What's particularly interesting (illogical) is the prediction that we will need to rebuild in two years when all of Mac's 2019 free agent signings are 27 or younger.  Bell (27), Crowder (25), Poole (26) are all young and the guy we didn't sign but Mac haters insist we should have made Paradis (29) the highest paid center in the league.  And he is coming off injuries.  Interesting indeed.

I admitted to bouts of unabashed optimism in my original post but I HATED the choice of Idzik from the moment he was signed.  He was dreadful and the fact that he was chosen by a headhunter, an accountant and a lawyer made it obvious from the start.  My point is I don't just find all good in what the Jets do and ignore the rest.  But I think we're on the right track and believe in the plan.

We will need to rebuild because we will have to replace a RB (easiest position to draft and 2020 draft is loaded), slot CB, and 2 or 3 offensive lineman, while having cap space and all our draft picks?

I dont get it, saying we "only" have a 3/4 year window with CJ and Osmele is a long time in NFL years.  Is it really impossible to believe this team can make a Rams level leap?  Is Goff better then Sam (no he isnt)?  Is Gase not an innovative coach?   No NFL team gets 4 years to do anything.  We need to realize we can contend for the SB in 2020-2021 with most of these players and Darnold on his rookie deal

• Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, CTM said:

As you said, most, if not all  of Bell, Mosley, Crowder and Osemele will not be here in 3/4 years.  All should be high performers but are at the back end of their prime, and overpaid due to a QB making peanuts (yet designed to be cut with no cap hit when it's time to pay Darnold).

I'm think Mac sold and is attempting to execute a 2 year championship window to the johnson

Bell is 27, Mosely is 26, and Crowder is 25.  Why won't they be here in 3-4 years?  A 26 and a 25 year old are in the back end of their prime???  If Mac was executing a 2 year window he would have given Paradis $15mm/year and would have traded for Antonio Brown.  Or he would have traded a 2020 second round pick and more to move into the second round this year.   It's simply not true.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, slats said:

I generally agree, although I think the Mosley signing was probably the most questionable move of the entire offseason. If instead they made Paradis the highest paid center in the league, and let Hewitt battle Lee for the other ILB job, I'd've probably been happier. That said, I think they did a pretty good job this offseason. 

One of the guys I'm quietly really excited about is Herndon. He had a terrific rookie season as a fourth round pick, and if he makes a second year jump along with Darnold, the offense could be very good. 

I'm optimistic about the Polite and Wesco picks, too. Hoping they get a lot of playing time between them. 

Making Mosley the highest paid ILB in the league definitely wasnt something I was banging on the table to see happen prior to the offseason, but it's not a move I have any issue with. Once we missed out on signing/trading for a Clowney, Ford, Clark, Lawrence, etc., Mac almost had to sign Mosley just to be able to point to the fact that he used the money lol. 

Herndon has been the single player I'm most excited for behind Darnold since last season. Significantly more than Bell. I feel like he showed glimpses of being the kind of TE we havent had in... Forever? I feel like the last time we has a TE with any game impact was Chris Baker, and I'm not sure what an impact that was. 

Also agree that I'm very excited for Polite. Infinitely more than I have been for any of the other later round possible edge guys Mac has drafted. 

I've been pretty vocal that I'm not a huge fan of the Quinnen pick, but that's purely because of his position and Mac not having any balls. I could easily be proven wrong about that, but it's very much contingent on not only Q's performance but also Allen and Polite. If we hit on Polite, I've got no issues with Q and Leo can go be overpaid by someone that'll use him in a 4-3. One of my biggest issues right now is having both Williams and not running a 4-3 base. But we'll see.

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I thought it was interesting when Gase said yesterday they were trying to get a lot of things accomplished in a short period of time, which makes you think he’s aware the clock is ticking. They drafted like they think they only have a two year window, too. 

I think they do have only a 2 year window. I could even see one if we finsihed something like 4-12 again.

8 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

Making Mosley the highest paid ILB in the league definitely wasnt something I was banging on the table to see happen prior to the offseason, but it's not a move I have any issue with. Once we missed out on signing/trading for a Clowney, Ford, Clark, Lawrence, etc., Mac almost had to sign Mosley just to be able to point to the fact that he used the money lol. 

Herndon has been the single player I'm most excited for behind Darnold since last season. Significantly more than Bell. I feel like he showed glimpses of being the kind of TE we havent had in... Forever? I feel like the last time we has a TE with any game impact was Chris Baker, and I'm not sure what an impact that was. 

Also agree that I'm very excited for Polite. Infinitely more than I have been for any of the other later round possible edge guys Mac has drafted. 

I've been pretty vocal that I'm not a huge fan of the Quinnen pick, but that's purely because of his position and Mac not having any balls. I could easily be proven wrong about that, but it's very much contingent on not only Q's performance but also Allen and Polite. If we hit on Polite, I've got no issues with Q and Leo can go be overpaid by someone that'll use him in a 4-3. One of my biggest issues right now is having both Williams and not running a 4-3 base. But we'll see.

Mosley was paid as much for his attitude and work ethic then he was for his play (which is also excellent).  This organization needs winners, and we haven't had them here in a long time and now we do.  If we paid him $14.5  vs $17  - would the $3 million make that much of a difference if we found another core guy to set a tone for the organization?

• Upvote 3

Everybody says Darnold is good but you cry when they act like they're counting on it instead of acting like he needs to be propped up and they're the ones who look stupid when this blows up? This is fascinating.

This is what there is. On all counts. It's what everybody gets. It's either burn it down or go with it. With Darnold entering his second year it's generally understood not to be a good idea to change a whole lot but they're not literally going to be running Jeremy Bates plays and incorporating Bell as a focal point so some other things are going to break in favor of preserving continuity. They're not going to replace half the line and half the receivers and make everybody listen to the bullsh*t from you ****ers about x offensive systems in y years ruined Sam.

There were defensive ends on the market and they blew that through some combination of predictable striking out and baffling disinterest, and spending it all on Mosley instead is clearly dubious. It wouldn't be surprising if they didn't exactly have carte blanche. The defense isn't the greatest and Leonard Williams isn't either but I'm not sure quite how bad it gets if he actually misses time. It's not the worst thing in the world that QWilliams is redundant and if he's good it's not like he's surplus to requirements. It's dumb beyond belief that we somehow just had no linebackers but at least Mosley is credible as the main guy and can play three downs and do leader things. I have no idea what Williams is actually going to do with this team since nobody besides Adams has ever shown any aptitude for blitzing and the corners might all basically be Justin Miller. Except Trumaine Johnson who is still Trumaine Johnson which is bad enough.

I don't know how easy it is to separate discrete acts of incompetence from the context in which they take place. I have no idea how things are supposed to work when there's a general manager who's out of rebuilds working not for or with or over but just sort of around a new head coach at the start of the quarterback's first offseason and the guys running the defense possibly aren't accountable to anybody but it doesn't matter because one of them is probably wearing a wire. There is no way it's supposed to work that involves screwing up the question of who's in charge by leaving it blank. Short of actually getting so crazyass lucky they actually win the super bowl, is there really any good outcome to this season at all? Anything else results in either more this, doubling down on more this, or oh **** they are really this bad again.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

19 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

I'm old.  I've been a Jets/Titans fan for a long, long time.  And like virtually every Jets fan I've had my share of cockeyed optimism.  And I have had much of those hopes and dreams about this team shattered.  C'est la vie.  It's sports.  Still, I have a renewed optimism about this team along with a healthy dose of skepticism.  Here are my reasons for both.

Optimism

• We have a really good chance of finally having our franchise QB.  We went through the Mark Sanchize, Geno Smith, Chad Pennington and (fill in the blank) QB, but there is something different about this kid.  With all of the other guys there was always something in the back of my mind telling me he wasn't the guy.  Darnold just seems to have 'it'.  He's smart, athletic, aware and just plain likable.  There's hope.
  • The defense has been collecting individual talent and pieces over the last few seasons.  Unlike most, I really like Leo and think he gets a bad rap.  And I think Jamal Adams is a great player and is a 'glue' guy. .............

I enjoy your optimism.

However Leo does not get a bad rap here. He is being judged fairly based on his draft position vs his production and Adams is a good player but certainly  nowhere near great. 

Adams is who he is and thats fine. Maybe with the addition of QW, LW can step it up but if not and he remains a Jet he will be an expensive jag.

9 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

Bell is 27, Mosely is 26, and Crowder is 25.  Why won't they be here in 3-4 years?  A 26 and a 25 year old are in the back end of their prime???  If Mac was executing a 2 year window he would have given Paradis $15mm/year and would have traded for Antonio Brown.  Or he would have traded a 2020 second round pick and more to move into the second round this year.   It's simply not true.

So we Bell is 30 (past prime for RB), Moseley is 29, and Crowder is 28 you’ll want to give them all the multi-year deals they’ll be looking for as one final cash out? Not me. No thanks. Those are all highly replaceable positions with middle to late round picks. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Everybody says Darnold is good but you cry when they act like they're counting on it instead of acting like he needs to be propped up and they're the ones who look stupid when this blows up? This is fascinating.

This is what there is. On all counts. It's what everybody gets. It's either burn it down or go with it. With Darnold entering his second year it's generally understood not to be a good idea to change a whole lot but they're not literally going to be running Jeremy Bates plays and incorporating Bell as a focal point so some other things are going to break in favor of preserving continuity. They're not going to replace half the line and half the receivers and make everybody listen to the bullsh*t from you ****ers about x offensive systems in y years ruined Sam.

There were defensive ends on the market and they blew that through some combination of predictable striking out and baffling disinterest, and spending it all on Mosley instead is clearly dubious. It wouldn't be surprising if they didn't exactly have carte blanche. The defense isn't the greatest and Leonard Williams isn't either but I'm not sure quite how bad it gets if he actually misses time. It's not the worst thing in the world that QWilliams is redundant and if he's good it's not like he's surplus to requirements. It's dumb beyond belief that we somehow just had no linebackers but at least Mosley is credible as the main guy and can play three downs and do leader things. I have no idea what Williams is actually going to do with this team since nobody besides Adams has ever shown any aptitude for blitzing and the corners might all basically be Justin Miller. Except Trumaine Johnson who is still Trumaine Johnson which is bad enough.

I don't know how easy it is to separate discrete acts of incompetence from the context in which they take place. I have no idea how things are supposed to work when there's a general manager who's out of rebuilds working not for or with or over but just sort of around a new head coach at the start of the quarterback's first offseason and the guys running the defense possibly aren't accountable to anybody but it doesn't matter because one of them is probably wearing a wire. There is no way it's supposed to work that involves screwing up the question of who's in charge by leaving it blank. Short of actually getting so crazyass lucky they actually win the super bowl, is there really any good outcome to this season at all? Anything else results in either more this, doubling down on more this, or oh **** they are really this bad again.

WTF? Can we let the new coaching staff at least coach a freaking game? This post is just filled with SOJF nonsense. The Rams got to the Super Bowl with a broken down RB, and 2 shrimps at WR in Cooks & Woods. 

The Pats 2nd WR was Chris freaking Hogan! This league is not filled with juggernauts anymore. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, BCJet said:

We will need to rebuild because we will have to replace a RB (easiest position to draft and 2020 draft is loaded), slot CB, and 2 or 3 offensive lineman, while having cap space and all our draft picks?

I dont get it, saying we "only" have a 3/4 year window with CJ and Osmele is a long time in NFL years.  Is it really impossible to believe this team can make a Rams level leap?  Is Goff better then Sam (no he isnt)?  Is Gase not an innovative coach?   No NFL team gets 4 years to do anything.  We need to realize we can contend for the SB in 2020-2021 with most of these players and Darnold on his rookie deal

You mean the same position we were in this off-season? Because the scenario you describe is the exact same thing that had to be done in this off-season. Did they do that? IMO no. Sure they signed Bell but Crowder? Mediocre at best. The OL still needs to be addressed and after Bell we still have the same sucky skill players that got us to 4 wins. They will all just be that much older and you think they will be contending for a Superbowl? Did I miss something? Is weed legal in NY? People are losing their M'fering minds.

Oh and Happy Mother's Day.

Every fan can play this game looking into the future! 

What does Dallas do with Dak? 

Houston with Watson? 

And on & on. 

Football is 1 year at time, the Patriots are an anomaly, and like Tom Shane stated Brady is usurping the salary cap, and betraying his brethren in the CBA. The Browns will be in the same spot with Mayfield, Landry, OBJ, Njoku, Chubb, Garrett, they better win a Bowl within 2 years! 

Its the way it is in the NFL outside of New England, and there time is coming, as time waits for no man & that includes Tom Brady. If Brady played when Namath played do you think he'd still be playing? 

You could probably count the times Brady has been hit it's so little with that cheap azz offense that would have been made obsolete in 3 weeks in the old NFL when Head hunters prowled the secondary & dared guys like Edelman to come in there. They don't even play the same game anymore. My god, they throw flag now because the hit looked TOO HARD even though it was executed with perfect precision & execution. They've kinda ruined the game & anyone who understands lawyers & lawsuits should have known the direction Goodell & these owners had to take the 1st time CTE was established. Now they're just in preservation mode with the Wolves (lawyers) outside their billion dollar enterprises. 

• Post of the Week 2

18 hours ago, CTM said:

This looks to me to be designed for a 2020 / 2021 run which is frankly a sound strategy given a talent poor team and a qb drafted 1.3 in 2018.

The fact that the dope that created the talent poor roster is still running things is of course still an issue.

Sounds about right in view of the fact that there will probably be a strike in 21

3 hours ago, Jetster said:

Every fan can play this game looking into the future! 

What does Dallas do with Dak? 

Houston with Watson? 

And on & on. 

Football is 1 year at time, the Patriots are an anomaly, and like Tom Shane stated Brady is usurping the salary cap, and betraying his brethren in the CBA. The Browns will be in the same spot with Mayfield, Landry, OBJ, Njoku, Chubb, Garrett, they better win a Bowl within 2 years! 

Its the way it is in the NFL outside of New England, and there time is coming, as time waits for no man & that includes Tom Brady. If Brady played when Namath played do you think he'd still be playing? 

You could probably count the times Brady has been hit it's so little with that cheap azz offense that would have been made obsolete in 3 weeks in the old NFL when Head hunters prowled the secondary & dared guys like Edelman to come in there. They don't even play the same game anymore. My god, they throw flag now because the hit looked TOO HARD even though it was executed with perfect precision & execution. They've kinda ruined the game & anyone who understands lawyers & lawsuits should have known the direction Goodell & these owners had to take the 1st time CTE was established. Now they're just in preservation mode with the Wolves (lawyers) outside their billion dollar enterprises. 

Amazed that DCs facing the Pats look at how much Brady doesn't like to get hit and instead of playing it straight simply leave everyone in single man coverage and spend the 1st quarter on all out blitzes and rushes. Brady might very well connect, but you've got 3 quarters more to catch up and more importantly  if he spends a good chunk of the first half on his ass he's way less effective. Perhaps you even force a turnover or 2, or clobber him. Not an exaggeration to say Brady could've played every game vs. the Bowles Error Jets in a tuxedo without worrying about a drycleaning bill.This is why the Jets' decades long obsession with DBs is confounding; at exactly the time the rules made safeties and corners fungible overhead Jets organization double down on that.  

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Amazed that DCs facing the Pats look at how much Brady doesn't like to get hit and instead of playing it straight simply leave everyone in single man coverage and spend the 1st quarter on all out blitzes and rushes. Brady might very well connect, but you've got 3 quarters more to catch up and more importantly  if he spends a good chunk of the first half on his ass he's way less effective. Perhaps you even force a turnover or 2, or clobber him. Not an exaggeration to say Brady could've played every game vs. the Bowles Error Jets in a tuxedo without worrying about a drycleaning bill.This is why the Jets' decades long obsession with DBs is confounding; at exactly the time the rules made safeties and corners fungible overhead Jets organization double down on that.  

How about Rogers 10 yard off blitzes? I mean seriously, Brady & Belichick have zero respect for the Jets because the coaching & games plans have been laughable. At least Rex had a plan in 2010. Mixed it up a bit. Bowles/Rogers defense was so predictable they lost every game we played vs backup QBs! 

Just think about that! You could give Belichick the 32nd ranked defense in the league vs a guy that just got off his couch & 3 days of preparation he'd confound him. We made guys look like HOFers. We've spent every draft pick & free agent dollars on defense for Bowles & we let Blake Bortles go 25-28 with 2 drops!

We got SMOKED by Matt Barkley who's phone rang 10 days before the game. There is no doubt in my mind that Brady/Belichick laughed at our defensive schemes on game tape. "Tom, be aware of this blitz from 15 yards away", HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, OH GOD, I THINK I PEED MY PANTS!

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

RB's fall of a cliff around 28, I dont have research on the average shelf life of line backers but to be clear, "back end of their prime" to me means still in their prime but closer to the end than the beginning. 

Great post!  I think we've upgraded at least 5 or 6 starting spots out of 22.  Darnold should be better with a year under his belt.  The coaching staff was upgraded all over the place including areas that don't get as much attention like OLine with Frank Pollack.

Definitely reasons for optimism and I share your concerns as well.  I can talk myself slightly out of the OLine concerns in this way though...

1. The Jets either stayed the same or got better at every spot.

2. Osemele is a big upgrade and Harrison, while not ideal, did handle Center moderately well over the final two months of last season.  He was an in-season upgrade over Spencer Long and the fact that the Jets didn't push hard for a Center in FA and obviously didn't draft someone could indicate that the coaching staff has more confidence in Harrison than we fans do.  I also wouldn't discount the possibility that the FO and coaching staff asked Darnold for his opinion of playing behind Harrison as they went into the offseason.  If Sam said he was uncomfortable or really wanted a new Center then I'm 99% sure the Jets would have made the modest investment to get one.  They could have even done something like trade a 3rd this year and a future 2nd rounder to get into the 2nd round this year for Elgton Jenkins or Erik McCoy.

3. New coach Frank Pollack will bring something different.  I don't think he's a huge upgrade over Dennison because I did like Dennison, but Pollack is a little better and will bring a fresh perspective.

4. This is a nuanced point but I think just having better skill personnel, particularly Bell, and an improved Darnold will put less pressure on the OLine.  This is really just a theory but Bell's running style is unique.  He's almost a read and react RB who sets up blocks and looks to see where the holes are before exploding through them.  Some defensive lines hesitate a tiny bit because of this and try not to tip their hands.  Bell's ability as a pass catcher and Darnold's ability to scramble and throw on the run will aid the OLine a bit too.

So there, I've convinced myself not to worry about the OLine so much in 2019.  :D 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, Jetster said:

How about Rogers 10 yard off blitzes? I mean seriously, Brady & Belichick have zero respect for the Jets because the coaching & games plans have been laughable. At least Rex had a plan in 2010. Mixed it up a bit. Bowles/Rogers defense was so predictable they lost every game we played vs backup QBs! 

Just think about that! You could give Belichick the 32nd ranked defense in the league vs a guy that just got off his couch & 3 days of preparation he'd confound him. We made guys look like HOFers. We've spent every draft pick & free agent dollars on defense for Bowles & we let Blake Bortles go 25-28 with 2 drops!

We got SMOKED by Matt Barkley who's phone rang 10 days before the game. There is no doubt in my mind that Brady/Belichick laughed at our defensive schemes on game tape. "Tom, be aware of this blitz from 15 yards away", HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, OH GOD, I THINK I PEED MY PANTS!

Simple explanation, Bowles should never have been made a HC in the NFL just as his good friend Rogers should never have been made a DC.  How it lasted for 4 years (and Bowles actually gets paid for 6) is beyond a disgrace.

Neither will ever have those positions again, you already knew that in their 2nd year with the Jets, probably even the 1st as the 10 “wins” were ALL compiled against the Worst teams in the league (all barely won, with each game in doubt at the end).

After Bowles’ benefactor Arians retires, he will too.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, BCJet said:

Mosley was paid as much for his attitude and work ethic then he was for his play (which is also excellent).  This organization needs winners, and we haven't had them here in a long time and now we do.  If we paid him $14.5  vs $17  - would the $3 million make that much of a difference if we found another core guy to set a tone for the organization?

I've got no issues whatsoever with the Mosley signing. I'm just admitting he wasnt the player/position I would have guessed they were investing that kind or money in prior to the offseason. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

Exactly.  What's particularly interesting (illogical) is the prediction that we will need to rebuild in two years when all of Mac's 2019 free agent signings are 27 or younger.  Bell (27), Crowder (25), Poole (26) are all young

Bell and Crowder's contracts are set up so that they'll both be gone after 2020.  Osemele's is in the same boat.  All three of those guys will want to hit the open market again and maximize their earnings. 

And Poole is only signed to a 1 year "show me" deal. 

On 5/11/2019 at 11:56 AM, BettyBoop said:

I'm old.  I've been a Jets/Titans fan for a long, long time.  And like virtually every Jets fan I've had my share of cockeyed optimism.  And I have had much of those hopes and dreams about this team shattered.  C'est la vie.  It's sports.  Still, I have a renewed optimism about this team along with a healthy dose of skepticism.  Here are my reasons for both.

Optimism

• We have a really good chance of finally having our franchise QB.  We went through the Mark Sanchize, Geno Smith, Chad Pennington and (fill in the blank) QB, but there is something different about this kid.  With all of the other guys there was always something in the back of my mind telling me he wasn't the guy.  Darnold just seems to have 'it'.  He's smart, athletic, aware and just plain likable.  There's hope.
  • The defense has been collecting individual talent and pieces over the last few seasons.  Unlike most, I really like Leo and think he gets a bad rap.  And I think Jamal Adams is a great player and is a 'glue' guy.  He brings this defense together and gives them an identify.  Unfortunately, there wasn't much talent around him but I think that has changed.  I am thrilled we took Q and I believe he will be a game changer in middle of the defense.  He's smart, athletic and extremely likable.
  • CJ Mosely was a great signing.  Swapping him out for Darren Lee is an improvement of monumental proportions.  Around these guys are solid, if not spectacular complimentary pieces.  Williamson, Henry Anderson (kudos to Mac for that trade) and Jenkins (if only all of our third round picks turned out this way) are very soild, as is Marcus Maye if he can stay healthy.
  • Another key aspect of this team is youth.  Among the alpha-dawgs Le'Veon is 27 and the rest are between 21-26.  With Darnold, Adams, Q, Leo, Maye, Herndon, Crowder, Anderson and Enunwa all on the right side of 26, the window should remain open for several years.
  • I really, really like the Wesco pick.  I think it's safe to say he is an addition to the OL (see skepticism below).  

Skepticism

• The biggest potential issue I see is chemistry.  Not between the players but among the coaching staff.  Will Gase and Williams co-exist?  That's the wild card (pun intended) here.  As for the rift between Gase and Mac, I think, or at least hope, that's the media trying to remain relevant between the draft and camp.  I'm surprised they haven't called for an independent investigation and asked for Mac's tax returns since he took office.
  • While most are clamoring away for a better CB2 I am more concerned about CB1.  IF Trumaine returns to form, I think the CB2 issue is far less relevant.  IF Tru locks down one side of the field Williams can give CB2, whomever that is, enough help to keep the damage to a minimum.  If not, we can expect a lot of 42-41 final scores.
  • This "concern" actually falls somewhere between optimism and skepticism.  I love the Polite pick and I'm hoping that his poor decisions leading up to the draft turn out to be the "20 pounds that saved the Jets season".  He has first round talent and falling to us in the third round may be the saving grace to finally provide us with a pass rush.  I watched every Florida game last year (notice I didn't say I watched the "tape".  Let's face it we posters don't watch tape, we watch CBS!) and this kid stood out.  And playing next to CJ and Williamson and behind Leo, Q and Anderson, I am optimistic.  If not, well, that's where the skepticism part comes in.
  • As for the OL, I remain skeptical.  I think Winters has finally proven he is not the RG we need.  I really hope Mac has a trade up his leave so we don't go into the season with Harrison and Toth as the two guys.

Overall I am excited about this season.  I think this team will be fun to watch on both sides of the ball.  There will be hiccups and bad plays/games but the final product should be far better than last year's version.  I expect around eight wins but more importantly I think we will go into the 2020 offseason with just a few holes to fill and a plan to fill them.

And I think Jamal Adams is a great player and is a 'glue' guy.  He brings this defense together and gives them an identify. 

This is where I stopped reading. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

I've got no issues whatsoever with the Mosley signing. I'm just admitting he wasnt the player/position I would have guessed they were investing that kind or money in prior to the offseason. 

Would have thought the OL would have been a better investment. Mosley is a heck of a LB but we could have gotten a kick azz OL with that cash to sign FA OL and trading back to grab some OL prospects. Oh well, maybe next year.

8 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Would have thought the OL would have been a better investment. Mosley is a heck of a LB but we could have gotten a kick azz OL with that cash to sign FA OL and trading back to grab some OL prospects. Oh well, maybe next year.

The best Olineman available were centers coming off injuries. All of them WAY overpaid, there was not a Kevin Mawae available. We traded for KO & drafted Chuma. Next year we'll draft a few more & probably sign another free agent if a good one becomes available.

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

The best Olineman available were centers coming off injuries. All of them WAY overpaid, there was not a Kevin Mawae available. We traded for KO & drafted Chuma. Next year we'll draft a few more & probably sign another free agent if a good one becomes available.

That’s why the top 2 FA centers were scooped up so quickly. Gotcha by golly wow.

Optimism

• The defense has been collecting individual talent and pieces over the last few seasons.  Unlike most, I really like Leo and think he gets a bad rap.  And I think Jamal Adams is a great player and is a 'glue' guy.  He brings this defense together and gives them an identify.  Unfortunately, there wasn't much talent around him but I think that has changed.  I am thrilled we took Q and I believe he will be a game changer in middle of the defense.  He's smart, athletic and extremely likable.
  • CJ Mosely was a great signing.  Swapping him out for Darren Lee is an improvement of monumental proportions.  Around these guys are solid, if not spectacular complimentary pieces.  Williamson, Henry Anderson (kudos to Mac for that trade) and Jenkins (if only all of our third round picks turned out this way) are very soild, as is Marcus Maye if he can stay healthy.
  • Another key aspect of this team is youth.  Among the alpha-dawgs Le'Veon is 27 and the rest are between 21-26.  With Darnold, Adams, Q, Leo, Maye, Herndon, Crowder, Anderson and Enunwa all on the right side of 26, the window should remain open for several years.
  • I really, really like the Wesco pick.  I think it's safe to say he is an addition to the OL (see skepticism below).  

Skepticism

• The biggest potential issue I see is chemistry.  Not between the players but among the coaching staff.  Will Gase and Williams co-exist?  That's the wild card (pun intended) here.  As for the rift between Gase and Mac, I think, or at least hope, that's the media trying to remain relevant between the draft and camp.  I'm surprised they haven't called for an independent investigation and asked for Mac's tax returns since he took office.
  • While most are clamoring away for a better CB2 I am more concerned about CB1.  IF Trumaine returns to form, I think the CB2 issue is far less relevant.  IF Tru locks down one side of the field Williams can give CB2, whomever that is, enough help to keep the damage to a minimum.  If not, we can expect a lot of 42-41 final scores.
  • This "concern" actually falls somewhere between optimism and skepticism.  I love the Polite pick and I'm hoping that his poor decisions leading up to the draft turn out to be the "20 pounds that saved the Jets season".  He has first round talent and falling to us in the third round may be the saving grace to finally provide us with a pass rush.  I watched every Florida game last year (notice I didn't say I watched the "tape".  Let's face it we posters don't watch tape, we watch CBS!) and this kid stood out.  And playing next to CJ and Williamson and behind Leo, Q and Anderson, I am optimistic.  If not, well, that's where the skepticism part comes in.
  • As for the OL, I remain skeptical.  I think Winters has finally proven he is not the RG we need.  I really hope Mac has a trade up his leave so we don't go into the season with Harrison and Toth as the two guys.

Overall I am excited about this season.  I think this team will be fun to watch on both sides of the ball.  There will be hiccups and bad plays/games but the final product should be far better than last year's version.  I expect around eight wins but more importantly I think we will go into the 2020 offseason with just a few holes to fill and a plan to fill them.

Hey this is good stuff. Do you mind if I shout this out on the front page and social media?

1 hour ago, Wonderboy said:

That’s why the top 2 FA centers were scooped up so quickly. Gotcha by golly wow.

One didn't want to come to NY & both battled injuries. The Saints signed Jonathon Goodwin when we let him go & he was the starting center on the Saints Super Bowl winning team. Hell, Miami had Pouncy all those years & didn't win sh*t. This is a team game. Tell me who the starting center is for most teams? You wont even know them.

Kelvin Beachum, Sam Darnold

One of the things we enjoy about JetNation is the passion and knowledge we see every day in our forums. Thousands of die-hard fans all talking about their favorite team. Sure, it can get heated and there are times where we read posts that are real head scratchers. There is a post from this weekend from “Betty Boop” and I feel that it is worth sharing. Jets fans often see the worst possible outcome in every situation. There are reasons to feel good though and this post shares both sides, the reasons for optimism and what we should be skeptical about. Check it out and let us know what you think in our NY Jets forum.

I’m old.  I’ve been a Jets/Titans fan for a long, long time.  And like virtually every Jets fan I’ve had my share of cockeyed optimism.  And I have had much of those hopes and dreams about this team shattered.  C’est la vie.  It’s sports.  Still, I have a renewed optimism about this team along with a healthy dose of skepticism.  Here are my reasons for both.

By BettyBoop

Optimism

• We have a really good chance of finally having our franchise QB.  We went through the Mark Sanchize, Geno Smith, Chad Pennington and (fill in the blank) QB, but there is something different about this kid.  With all of the other guys there was always something in the back of my mind telling me he wasn’t the guy.  Darnold just seems to have ‘it’.  He’s smart, athletic, aware and just plain likable.  There’s hope.
  • The defense has been collecting individual talent and pieces over the last few seasons.  Unlike most, I really like Leo and think he gets a bad rap.  And I think Jamal Adams is a great player and is a ‘glue’ guy.  He brings this defense together and gives them an identify.  Unfortunately, there wasn’t much talent around him but I think that has changed.  I am thrilled we took Q and I believe he will be a game changer in middle of the defense.  He’s smart, athletic and extremely likable.
  • CJ Mosely was a great signing.  Swapping him out for Darren Lee is an improvement of monumental proportions.  Around these guys are solid, if not spectacular complimentary pieces.  Williamson, Henry Anderson (kudos to Mac for that trade) and Jenkins (if only all of our third round picks turned out this way) are very solid, as is Marcus Maye if he can stay healthy.
  • Another key aspect of this team is youth.  Among the alpha-dawgs Le’Veon is 27 and the rest are between 21-26.  With Darnold, Adams, Q, Leo, Maye, Herndon, Crowder, Anderson and Enunwa all on the right side of 26, the window should remain open for several years.
  • I really, really like the Wesco pick.  I think it’s safe to say he is an addition to the OL (see skepticism below).  

Skepticism

• The biggest potential issue I see is chemistry.  Not between the players but among the coaching staff.  Will Gase and Williams co-exist?  That’s the wild card (pun intended) here.  As for the rift between Gase and Mac, I think, or at least hope, that’s the media trying to remain relevant between the draft and camp.  I’m surprised they haven’t called for an independent investigation and asked for Mac’s tax returns since he took office.
  • This “concern” actually falls somewhere between optimism and skepticism.  I love the Polite pick and I’m hoping that his poor decisions leading up to the draft turn out to be the “20 pounds that saved the Jets season”.  He has first round talent and falling to us in the third round may be the saving grace to finally provide us with a pass rush.  I watched every Florida game last year (notice I didn’t say I watched the “tape”.  Let’s face it we posters don’t watch tape, we watch CBS!) and this kid stood out.  And playing next to CJ and Williamson and behind Leo, Q and Anderson, I am optimistic.  If not, well, that’s where the skepticism part comes in.
  • As for the OL, I remain skeptical.  I think Winters has finally proven he is not the RG we need.  I really hope Mac has a trade up his leave so we don’t go into the season with Harrison and Toth as the two guys.

Overall I am excited about this season.  I think this team will be fun to watch on both sides of the ball.  There will be hiccups and bad plays/games but the final product should be far better than last year’s version.  I expect around eight wins but more importantly I think we will go into the 2020 offseason with just a few holes to fill and a plan to fill them.

The post Mid May Musings appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
tlw4O65RWvY

Click here to read the full story...

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 11:09 AM, CTM said:

RB's fall of a cliff around 28, I dont have research on the average shelf life of line backers but to be clear, "back end of their prime" to me means still in their prime but closer to the end than the beginning. 

Curtin Martin ran for 1308 yards at 30 and 1697 at 31 and made the pro bowl that year.

6 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

Curtis Martin ran for 1308 yards at 30 and 1697 at 31.

Very much the exception, not the rule.

In the NFL's 95-year history, there have only been 50 instances of a 1,000-yard season by a running back who is at least 30 years old. Only six times has it happened for one older than 32, and only twice (Adrian Peterson, 2018; Frank Gore, 2016) since 1984.

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Very much the exception, not the rule.

In the NFL's 95-year history, there have only been 50 instances of a 1,000-yard season by a running back who is at least 30 years old. Only six times has it happened for one older than 32, and only twice (Adrian Peterson, 2018; Frank Gore, 2016) since 1984.

So you're saying there's a chance!

Here's the bottom line.  Mac signed three guys in their prime to address significant areas of need.  The MDS crowd then crows "but we'll have to replace them in three years!".  Yes, that's how football works.  That's how all sports works.  The key to prolonged success is having a pipeline of young talent to step in when its time.  Mac hasn't done a great job in that area although it has improved slightly over the last two years.

It's time to stop the mental gymnastics to criticize every move Mac makes. We will know this year if we're finally on the right track.

5 hours ago, Jetster said:

One didn't want to come to NY & both battled injuries. The Saints signed Jonathon Goodwin when we let him go & he was the starting center on the Saints Super Bowl winning team. Hell, Miami had Pouncy all those years & didn't win sh*t. This is a team game. Tell me who the starting center is for most teams? You wont even know them.

I know ours sucks

Brian Winters and Kelvin Beachum both played every snap of every game last season. Both will likely be replaced next season (but Tom Compton could be the guy you are looking for) 

at center, someone's going to shake loose. Look at Buffalo's roster they have like 4 centers better than toth. Russell Bodine will probably shake loose.