Jump to content

If the Jets go 9-7 or better, who gets the credit


Jet Nut
 Share

If the Jets go 9-7 or better who gets the credit  

70 members have voted

  1. 1. If the Jets go 9-7 or better who gets the credit.



Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, jamesr said:

Not necessarily. There's a great quote from The Producers that sums this one up, for me at least:

You can actually do your best to fail and still end up succeeding, Not suggesting Macc is doing this on purpose, but if it works does it become a blueprint for other teams to follow?

Sounds good except I was answering someone who said if they go 9-7 it's because of the players.  The players that were drafted by Macc.  The situation doesn't fit.  I would bet against the idea that if the Jets go 9-7, 10-6, 11-4 that Macc and Gase don't get tons of props and no one is saying Macc had nothing to do with it.  Especially try to make it out to be a situation where he did his best to fail and somehow found. success.  

9-7, 10-6, 11-4 and I could care less who doesn't give either credit.  There will be some that whine even with any of those win totals for 2019. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

10 wins and no playoffs = 2015

Sorry, I'm NOT celebrating another season without the Jets making the playoffs. It likely means the Jets didn't have a good enough record in their division and their conference for them to not get a wild card spot with 10 wins. Still, you go ahead and pat the Jets on the back for 10 wins and no playoffs after you finished watching the Bills with nothing to play for beat the Jets in week 17. Groundhogs Day!

Who cares about 2015.  Has nothing to do with it.  We go from 4 wins to 10 and you're whining that we didn't make the playoffs you'll sound clueless.  It's not a fluke trip to the playoffs, it's how they play.  Are they improving and the talent there and developing.  To get all that worked up about playoffs and make fun of anyone who's ok with the 10 wins.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Or both? 

Both, macc put a talented team together and Gase for coaching them up.  Remember, macc didn't hire Bowles so while we have plenty to complain about now he gets a chance to have his players coaches by a competent HC.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't  see a clear answer here. If we win because Darnold is lighting it up and Bell is running wild, Mac and Gase would both get the credit.  If we are winning because the D is suffocating  the other teams, Mac and CJ get credit for bringing in William's. If we are winning purely on smart play design by getting the most out of players like Anderson, Q, Herndon, or anyone that doesn't  normally play a major role, then Gase gets the credit

 

It all depends how we win these games. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I don't  see a clear answer here. If we win because Darnold is lighting it up and Bell is running wild, Mac and Gase would both get the credit.  If we are winning because the D is suffocating  the other teams, Mac and CJ get credit for bringing in William's. If we are winning purely on smart play design by getting the most out of players like Anderson, Q, Herndon, or anyone that doesn't  normally play a major role, then Gase gets the credit

 

It all depends how we win these games. 

Anderson, Q, Herndon were brought in by who?  Two of them are already favorites.  How do you not give Macc at least a part of the credit for the players who he brought in and were contributors to the teams success?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Who cares about 2015.  Has nothing to do with it.  We go from 4 wins to 10 and you're whining that we didn't make the playoffs you'll sound clueless.  It's not a fluke trip to the playoffs, it's how they play.  Are they improving and the talent there and developing.  To get all that worked up about playoffs and make fun of anyone who's ok with the 10 wins.  

You're a fool for calling me clueless because I won't give credit for another 10 win season without the playoffs. The reason the 2015 season has relevance is because it was the Mac's first season as the Jets GM and just before the 2015 season Mac went on a free agency spending spree just like he recently did this off-season. The only difference is a young Sam Darnold instead of the journeyman Ryan Fitzpatrick. So unless Darnold steps up and takes a Goff like jump in his second year in the league the 2019 would/could be reminiscent to 2015 if the Jets won 10 games without making the playoffs in the first season with a new coach...even more similar with a loss to the Bill in week 17 with the playoffs on the line again and the Jets quarterback having a poor game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Anderson, Q, Herndon were brought in by who?  Two of them are already favorites.  How do you not give Macc at least a part of the credit for the players who he brought in and were contributors to the teams success?

All they did was flash so far. If we get a solid year of production,  Gase plays a larger role in that by putting them in a position to succeed. Herndon possibly  could be a player who succeeds no matter who he plays for in the same way Gates or Gonzo were but I would say Q and Anderson need help fromnthebscheme and play calling

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

You're a fool for calling me clueless because I won't give credit for another 10 win season without the playoffs. The reason the 2015 season has relevance is because it was the Mac's first season as the Jets GM and just before the 2015 season Mac went on a free agency spending spree just like he recently did this off-season. The only difference is a young Sam Darnold instead of the journeyman Ryan Fitzpatrick. So unless Darnold steps up and takes a Goff like jump in his second year in the league the 2019 would/could be reminiscent to 2015 if the Jets won 10 games without making the playoffs in the first season with a new coach...even more similar with a loss to the Bill in week 17 with the playoffs on the line again and the Jets quarterback having a poor game.

They win 10, id bet they make the playoffs.  If they don't to complain would be silly..  To complain that they went from 4 wins to 10 and it wasn't enough would be ridiculous.  Just as comparing a young team with a 2nd year QB to a team of vets led by Fitz is totally different situation.  Darnold leads them to 10 wins I'll be happy.  Being in a playoff hunt for 17 weeks, each game having playoff implications and watching the team win 10 games would be great and mean were moving forward.  Im not complaining if that happens.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/12/2019 at 8:51 PM, Jetsplayer21 said:

Some Mac fan boys will blame darnold if he doesn’t have a great season, without factoring in he had one of the worst time to throw protection in nfl 💁‍♂️That would obviously be 100% macs fault 

Top half in the NFL for pass protection, top ten in fewest hits.  Where do you get this from?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/12/2019 at 10:31 AM, T0mShane said:

Gase. If they do it while six or seven players go to the Pro Bowl? Then Macc gets the apology

agree with this.  mac will get credit if there are a bunch of pro bowlers from this group.  if they just go 9-7 without much fanfare then gase gets the nod.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 12:13 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

9 wins would be amazing. This team has won 14 games in 3 seasons. Possible? Sure. But in reality unlikely

8-8 would be a huge success, doubling last years win total would be big.  

 

 

Totally agree.  It's remarkable how many "playoffs or they're fired" rants there are.  I think the key is not only going 8-8, but we need to see a few of the young guys step up to fill roles/backups.  For example, if Eli McGuire and Parry Nickerson get playing time and prove they will be ready to take over starting roles in two seasons, that would be a huge step forward.  If Sheppard and/or Fotukasi prove they can provide depth on the DL, that would be huge.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

Totally agree.  It's remarkable how many "playoffs or they're fired" rants there are.  I think the key is not only going 8-8, but we need to see a few of the young guys step up to fill roles/backups.  For example, if Eli McGuire and Parry Nickerson get playing time and prove they will be ready to take over starting roles in two seasons, that would be a huge step forward.  If Sheppard and/or Fotukasi prove they can provide depth on the DL, that would be huge.  

Someone said that if they win 10 and dont make the playoffs should be firings, disappointment.  After 4 wins, 10 isnt enough, LOL

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, RichardTodd27 said:

I want to see how Q, Polite & Edoga look this year. If they look legit, Macc deserves credit and the right to keep his job (even if the Jets go 8-8)

Agreed Richard.  I would add to that previous years picks, such as McGuire and Nickerson.  For sixth round picks, I think they performed admirably.  Especially when you consider the OL and lack of receivers (when Anderson and Q were out) and a rookie QB, I think McGuire showed something.  Same with Derrick Jones who may be Mac's best late round pick.  I'm also not so quick to write off Sheppard and Fotukasi.  They were rookies, albeit one was a 25 year old rook!  Most posters say it takes three years to evaluate a draft class but want to write off second year guys immediately. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Top half in the NFL for pass protection, top ten in fewest hits.  Where do you get this from?

Did you leave out sacks for a reason ? Everywhere I look we are near bottom. Sure would like to see what your looking at. https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-2018-nfl-offensive-line-rankings-all-32-teams-units-after-week-17

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Did you leave out sacks for a reason ? Everywhere I look we are near bottom. Sure would like to see what your looking at. https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-2018-nfl-offensive-line-rankings-all-32-teams-units-after-week-17

They were ranked in the top half of all OLs in the NFL.  

From the site you linked to.  The 115 hurries was pretty good.  5th fewest hurries according to their numbers. 

Not the run for your life scenario some keep crying over and repeating in any and every OL conversation.  

 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-offensive-lines-by-pass-blocking-efficiency 

T-14. NEW YORK JETS

2018 pass-blocking efficiency: 85.5

Heading into 2018, the Jets’ offensive line was correctly pegged as an underwhelming unit that was made up of average-level veterans. At the end of 2018, they met expectations. They allowed 17 sacks, 19 hits, and 115 hurries from their 581 passing plays in 2018.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Did you leave out sacks for a reason ? Everywhere I look we are near bottom. Sure would like to see what your looking at. https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-2018-nfl-offensive-line-rankings-all-32-teams-units-after-week-17

 Granted the line was garbage last year, but giving up sacks was the least of their problems.  Actually "protecting" the quarterback was a bright spot.   They were tied for twentieth in the league in sacks allowed,  not a bad statistic.  Whether it was Sam's agility and ability to avoid the rush or the result of adequate protection, he wasn't "running for his life" as much as many others in the league.

 

RK TEAM ATT COMP PCT YDS YDS/A LONG TD INT SACK YDSL RATE YDS/G
1 Houston 506 345 68.2 3781 8.2 73 26 9 62 384 102.9 236
2 Dallas 527 356 67.6 3538 7.4 90 22 8 56 347 96.7 221
3 Green Bay 640 392 61.3 4238 7.2 75 25 4 53 391 93.7 265
  Jacksonville 536 329 61.4 3109 6.4 80 15 13 53 322 79.1 194
5 Oakland 556 382 68.7 3751 7.3 66 19 10 52 306 93.6 234
  Miami 455 292 64.2 2900 7.3 75 26 13 52 409 93.0 181
  Arizona 495 283 57.2 2523 5.8 75 15 18 52 361 69.0 158
8 Seattle 427 280 65.6 3093 8.1 66 35 7 51 355 110.9 193
9 San Francisco 532 331 62.2 3867 8.0 85 26 20 48 380 87.8 242
10 Tennessee 437 293 67.0 2975 7.4 66 16 12 47 280 89.8 186
  NY Giants 583 382 65.5 4047 7.6 58 23 12 47 358 92.7 253
12 Washington 509 311 61.1 3021 6.5 79 16 15 44 266 78.1 189
13 Atlanta 617 428 69.4 4653 8.0 75 36 7 42 296 108.0 291
14 Buffalo 499 271 54.3 2794 6.2 75 13 23 41 288 62.6 175
  Detroit 574 375 65.3 3576 6.7 67 22 12 41 268 88.5 224
  Tampa Bay 625 408 65.3 5125 8.6 75 36 26 41 233 94.1 320
17 Minnesota 606 425 70.1 4036 7.1 75 30 10 40 262 99.7 252
  Philadelphia 599 422 70.5 4275 7.6 83 29 11 40 249 100.8 267
19 Cleveland 574 353 61.5 4007 7.4 71 29 17 38 254 88.8 250
20 Cincinnati 542 331 61.1 3290 6.6 49 27 13 37 279 87.0 206
  NY Jets 524 299 57.1 3165 6.5 76 18 19 37 239 73.0 198
22 Denver 588 367 62.4 3695 6.7 64 19 15 34 235 82.1 231
  LA Chargers 512 348 68.0 4089 8.4 75 32 12 34 227 104.9 256
24 Chicago 512 344 67.2 3564 7.3 70 28 14 33 183 95.4 223
  LA Rams 568 368 64.8 4507 8.3 70 32 12 33 223 100.7 282
26 Carolina 563 378 67.1 3836 7.2 82 28 16 32 235 92.9 240
  Baltimore 556 334 60.1 3558 6.7 74 18 9 32 150 84.0 222
28 Kansas City 583 385 66.0 4955 8.8 89 50 12 26 171 113.8 310
29 Pittsburgh 689 459 66.6 5008 7.5 97 35 17 24 166 95.5 313
30 New England 574 378 65.9 4258 7.7 63 29 11 21 147 97.8 266
31 New Orleans 519 381 73.4 4042 8.0 72 33 7 20 132 112.3 253
32 Indianapolis 644 432 67.1 4461 7.1 68 39 15 18 134 98.2 279
http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/passing/sort/sacks
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

They were ranked in the top half of all OLs in the NFL.  

From the site you linked to.  The 115 hurries was pretty good.  5th fewest hurries according to their numbers. 

Not the run for your life scenario some keep crying over and repeating in any and every OL conversation.  

 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-offensive-lines-by-pass-blocking-efficiency 

T-14. NEW YORK JETS

2018 pass-blocking efficiency: 85.5

Heading into 2018, the Jets’ offensive line was correctly pegged as an underwhelming unit that was made up of average-level veterans. At the end of 2018, they met expectations. They allowed 17 sacks, 19 hits, and 115 hurries from their 581 passing plays in 2018.

 

lol ok. I don’t see why some fans accept a average at best OL, with not much youth at all. Darnold’s agility and ability to escape the pocket is a major reason why the O didn’t look that bad. If we had a statue like Eli, it may have been Ranked the worse. Point is, I think darnold will be a better qb not always being pushed out of the pocket.. Just providing the bare minimum for him is not the best idea to build a franchise qb 

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

lol ok. I don’t see why some fans accept a average at best OL, with not much youth at all. Darnold’s agility and ability to escape the pocket is a major reason why the O didn’t look that bad. If we had a statue like Eli, it may have been Ranked the worse. Point is, I think darnold will be a better qb not always being pushed out of the pocket.. Just providing the bare minimum for him is not the best idea to build a franchise qb 

New point, new direction.  No one said they were happy or accepting of average.  Actually from your site theyre better than average.  Theyre not particularly old.  

The point was he wasn't running for his life.  Keep hearing how he was and he wasnt.  115 hurries left him around 4th or 5th least hurried QB.  Not hit, hurried.  Agility isnt in the equation.  Plus McCown played 4 games.   I get it, we all do, no pressure is the goal, 115 hurries isnt a fire drill though

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...