Texas is full of Idiots

Smizzy

Seahawks | Use of "12th Man" moniker angers Texas A&M

Sat, 28 Jan 2006 10:53:02 -0800

The Associated Press reports Texas A&M is upset with the Seattle Seahawks over their use of the "12th Man" moniker during Seahawks' home games. Texas A&M has twice registered trademarks for "The 12th Man" label, first in 1990 and again in 1996. The school claims they have contacted the Seahawks, but says the franchise "has been slow-rolling is." The Seahawks claim the media and fans are running with the slogan and that it has not been generated by the organization. Texas A&M could take the Seahawks to court, but say they are not prepared to take that course of action yet

A little ridiculous, but on the otherhand the whole 12th man thing in Seattle is totally lame.

Except for the whole noise factor thing they got going on there. There 12th man is legit. Anybody who says different has never watched a game in seattle.

So does Tx lose by default?

Smizz, why do you say they are "idiots"?

A&M registered that trademark in 1990 and they have every right, by law, to request, and enforce, that the Seahawks stop using it.

Think Bill Gates would look the other way if people started infringing on the Microsoft trademark?

Except for the whole noise factor thing they got going on there. There 12th man is legit. Anybody who says different has never watched a game in seattle.

Still ripped it off. A&M's 12th man is backed by tradition. They give the #12 to a walk on who plays special teams. And like I said, where have these Seahwak fans been the past 20 years?

How the frig does anybody get to trademark a saying like "the twelfth man" anyway? There is no intellectual property there, I've heard that saying used a million times when watching games. They did not invent that saying. Actually I've heard the refs being called the twelfth man for Patriots many times too. If this goes to court, my prediction is that the Aggies would lose because you can't corner the market on a phrase that is common usage like that.

Gotta go with A&M on this one. The Seahawks have a 12th Man sign inside the Stadium, just like A&M. Plus on those stupid bets that Governer's do before the SB the Pennsylvania State House will have to fly a flag that says 12th Man on it if the Seahwaks win.

I really dont care that much. I just don't see a problem with A&m being pissed. Especially with a team like the friggin Seahwaks using it.

exactly.

like at jet games, there is a school bus/camper that says "12th man express". do they owe TX money?

Its like madonna TMing her "name", as if she made it u[p

F tx

How the frig does anybody get to trademark a saying like "the twelfth man" anyway? There is no intellectual property there, I've heard that saying used a million times when watching games. They did not invent that saying. Actually I've heard the refs being called the twelfth man for Patriots many times too. If this goes to court, my prediction is that the Aggies would lose because you can't corner the market on a phrase that is common usage like that.

It's not like something like this hasn't happened before. Case in point, when USC was going for their three-peet (get over it LSU slappies, you shared the title), people from Pat Riley called and told them they couldn't use the term "three-peet". Why? Riley trademarked it when the Lakers were doing their thing in the 80's.

It's not like something like this hasn't happened before. Case in point, when USC was going for their three-peet (get over it LSU slappies, you shared the title), people from Pat Riley called and told them they couldn't use the term "three-peet". Why? Riley trademarked it when the Lakers were doing their thing in the 80's.

How many crystal balls are in USC's trophy case?

Archived