Jump to content

Options for Edoga: Starter or Depth?


JetNation

Recommended Posts

Chuma Edoga

The success of the Green & White is predicated off good line play up front, as well as protecting the young franchise quarterback in Sam Darnold. Many can argue that offensive line was the most disappointing unit for the New York Jets in 2018. They finished 25th in PFF’s Offensive Line Power Rankings, and Kelvin Beachum finished with the highest individual grade of 66.0. During the draft, they addressed a need by selecting Chuma Edoga out of USC with the 92nd pick, which they traded up one spot with Minnesota to secure the former Trojan teammate of Darnold.

According to Bleacher Report’s Matt Miller, 10 teams had taken Edoga off of their draft boards, saying he was “lazy” with “bad drive”, so the risk is clearly there. If he is able to overcome the question marks, and thrive under new offensive line coach Frank Pollack, he may have a starting spot on the roster. Head coach Adam Gase said Edoga is slated to start as a backup at right tackle behind Brandon Shell, who is rehabbing from a knee injury he suffered late last season. During training camp, Edoga needs to show the coaches why he was a top 100 selection and he could be a potential starter by the first quarter of the season. If he fails to beat out Shell, he can be the sixth man on the offensive line, providing a stable replacement when the inevitable injury occurs. The Jets may also want to try him out at center if the Harrison experiment fails.

Long term, Edoga looks to be the in house replacement to veteran left tackle Kelvin Beachum, who is expected to be a free agent after the season. His chemistry with New York’s signal caller will help him, but it is ultimately up to him to come in and fight for a starting role. The Jets have two question marks with both their third round selections, but Chuma Edoga and Jachai Polite could make this draft class look really good for Maccagnan if they bloom in the system and live up to their potential.

The post Options for Edoga: Starter or Depth? appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
av_npk3CQ1E

Click here to read the full story...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

it's just about always about attitude.  the talent has to be there but if a guy doesn't want to learn or work out or practice then it doesn't matter.  this guy has the size and speed to be a good oline player.  here's to hoping he decides to be a good player.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The plan does seem obvious.  Compete at RT with Brandon Shell and hopefully transition to LT in 2020.  The things Edoga seems to do well are important....he mirrors DEs well, sliding left and right and staying between the pass rusher and the QB.  He's not an extremely powerful guy but if we have stout OG play and some TE help (Wesco?) then I don't think he'd be that much of a liability in the run game.  As @rangerous said, it's all about attitude.  If he has a good work ethic, can limit his penalties and mature as a person and player then I see no reason he's not a starting LT within a year or two.

Another point, Darnold knows this guy.  Hopefully the Jets asked Sam about Edoga during the pre-Draft process and I don't think they would have drafted him if Sam voiced any concerns.  Maybe Sam is the mature voice and leader that helps keep Edoga in line.

Final thought, how Edoga does in 2019 will have a BIG influence on the Jets FA and Draft next year.  2020 is expected to be a good Draft year for offensive talent (like 2019 was for D) and this includes a good group of OTs.  If Edoga doesn't look like he'll grow into a reliable LT then I think the Jets will have to target one in the first two rounds next year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

The plan does seem obvious.  Compete at RT with Brandon Shell and hopefully transition to LT in 2020.  

LT isn't in the cards for him, or at the least is highly unlikely.  He's built to be a run-blocker.  If he works out as a starter in this league, he'll either beat Shell out at RT and stay there, or kick inside as a long-term replacement for Osemele or Winters (both of whose contracts expire after 2020). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

The plan does seem obvious.  Compete at RT with Brandon Shell and hopefully transition to LT in 2020.  The things Edoga seems to do well are important....he mirrors DEs well, sliding left and right and staying between the pass rusher and the QB.  He's not an extremely powerful guy but if we have stout OG play and some TE help (Wesco?) then I don't think he'd be that much of a liability in the run game.  As @rangerous said, it's all about attitude.  If he has a good work ethic, can limit his penalties and mature as a person and player then I see no reason he's not a starting LT within a year or two.

Another point, Darnold knows this guy.  Hopefully the Jets asked Sam about Edoga during the pre-Draft process and I don't think they would have drafted him if Sam voiced any concerns.  Maybe Sam is the mature voice and leader that helps keep Edoga in line.

Final thought, how Edoga does in 2019 will have a BIG influence on the Jets FA and Draft next year.  2020 is expected to be a good Draft year for offensive talent (like 2019 was for D) and this includes a good group of OTs.  If Edoga doesn't look like he'll grow into a reliable LT then I think the Jets will have to target one in the first two rounds next year.

All good points. 

I am not sure Darnold had part of the pre-draft process with drafting Edoga. I believe the Jets were under the impression Connor McGovern was going to fall to them before the Cowboys jumped in and scooped him. Edoga was more of an impulse pick with what was left on the board and our needs. 

I don't see him starting this year but more as good competition in camp and a potential year 2 starter or depth for injury, which happens a lot for our offensive line. 

No matter what expect the Jets to draft a OL day 1 or first pick day 2 next year. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Expect it?  Only if we have a new GM. 

lmao

I am a little surprised we weren't more aggressive with trading up for a center. 

I like the cashman pick, but I would give up him and the 6th round CB to move up for a potential starter.

A later 3rd, 5th, 6th round pick has to be enough to get into the end of the second round. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

LT isn't in the cards for him, or at the least is highly unlikely.  He's built to be a run-blocker.  If he works out as a starter in this league, he'll either beat Shell out at RT and stay there, or kick inside as a long-term replacement for Osemele or Winters (both of whose contracts expire after 2020). 

He can play LT at the next level.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

You never draft for depth, you always draft with the idea a guy is going to be a starter eventually.  Guys that end up being depth that you hope never have to play are fails.

Huh?  Of course you draft for depth.  The second you get to round 4, you're realistically looking at depth and back ups.  Team routinely take QB's for depth.  

You're just a Jets fan and every single position on the team could be upgraded, so maybe in our case you dont.  But teams absolutely draft for depth. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, RobR said:

He can play LT at the next level.

I saw him play with Sam a lot but I have to be honest I wasn’t really watching him and I didn’t watch a lot of USC this year but from everything I’ve read he can absolutely play LT in the NFL. 

 

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Huh?  Of course you draft for depth.  The second you get to round 4, you're realistically looking at depth and back ups.  Team routinely take QB's for depth.  

You're just a Jets fan and every single position on the team could be upgraded, so maybe in our case you dont.  But teams absolutely draft for depth. 

Yup. Especially 6 & 7 is for specials and depth and hoping to find a diamond in the rough. 

Taking a developmental QB in the 7th isn’t an attempt to find a starter. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He can play LT at the next level.

Recent history is not on his side on that one.  Of the current 32 starting LT's in the NFL, 20 were taken in the 1st round, and and only 7 outside of the first 2 rounds:

  • Eric Fisher (1st)
  • Trent Williams (1st)
  • Russell Okung (1st)
  • Matt Kalil (1st)
  • Ronnie Stanley (1st)
  • Taylor Lewan (1st)
  • Nate Solder (1st)
  • Jake Matthews (1st)
  • Tyron Smith (1st)
  • Riley Reiff (1st)
  • Duane Brown (1st)
  • Joe Staley (1st)
  • Laremy Tunsil (1st)
  • Anthony Costanzo (1st)
  • Greg Robinson (1st)
  • Kolton Miller (1st)
  • Tytus Howard (1st)
  • Garrett Bolles (1st)
  • Taylor Decker (1st)
  • DJ Humphries (1st)
  • Donovan Smith (2nd)
  • Cordy Glenn (2nd)
  • Andrew Whitworth (2nd)
  • Greg Little (2nd)
  • Cam Robinson (2nd)
  • Terron Armstead (3rd)
  • David Bakhtiari (4th)
  • Trent Brown (7th)
  • Charles Leno Jr. (7th)
  • Kelvin Beachum (7th)
  • Jason Peters (UDFA)
  • Alejandro Villanueva (UDFA)
 

Trent Brown, one of the above outliers, was a RT for the 49ers before heading to the Patriots and playing effectively at LT.  But we all know that's largely because the Patriots have some sketchy stuff going on over there. 

Regardless, relying on Edoga to eventually develop into our franchise LT is not a dependable means of finding our Beachum replacement/upgrade.  Very rarely do NFL teams pass on a potential LT for 1-2 full rounds.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, JiF said:

Huh?  Of course you draft for depth.  The second you get to round 4, you're realistically looking at depth and back ups.  Team routinely take QB's for depth.  

You're just a Jets fan and every single position on the team could be upgraded, so maybe in our case you dont.  But teams absolutely draft for depth. 

O-Line is a bit of a different story though.  Most positions on the field have rotational guys who filter in and out during games.  If you can get an effective WR4, 3rd down back, front 7 rotational piece or Dime Corner out of a 5th rounder, you're pretty happy.

But O-Line, barring injuries, is a unit that stays the same all game long, with the starters getting all of the snaps.  So you want those middle rounders to be "pipeline" types who will eventually start.  The only saving grace is if you draft a "swing" O-Lineman who can play multiple positions off the bench, thus reducing the number of roster spots you have to devote to the Line.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

LT isn't in the cards for him, or at the least is highly unlikely.  He's built to be a run-blocker.  If he works out as a starter in this league, he'll either beat Shell out at RT and stay there, or kick inside as a long-term replacement for Osemele or Winters (both of whose contracts expire after 2020). 

His strength is in pass blocking.  FWIW, PFF had him rated as their best pass-blocking RT (it might have been all tackles, I can't remember) as he apparently did not give up a sack all year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

O-Line is a bit of a different story though.  Most positions on the field have rotational guys who filter in and out during games.  If you can get an effective WR4, 3rd down back, front 7 rotational piece or Dime Corner out of a 5th rounder, you're pretty happy.

But O-Line, barring injuries, is a unit that stays the same all game long, with the starters getting all of the snaps.  So you want those middle rounders to be "pipeline" types who will eventually start.  The only saving grace is if you draft a "swing" O-Lineman who can play multiple positions off the bench, thus reducing the number of roster spots you have to devote to the Line.

I'm not following you here.  If you take an offensive lineman in rounds 5-7, you're not penicling him as a starter in 3 years.  You're hoping he's good enough to make the roster and provide depth.  If they ended up being a starter, you thank your lucky blessings because it's rare. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

I saw him play with Sam a lot but I have to be honest I wasn’t really watching him and I didn’t watch a lot of USC this year but from everything I’ve read he can absolutely play LT in the NFL. 

He played LT strictly at the SB and he was dominant.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Regardless, relying on Edoga to eventually develop into our franchise LT is not a dependable means of finding our Beachum replacement/upgrade.  Very rarely do NFL teams pass on a potential LT for 1 full round, much less 4. 

Well he was drafted in the third round and like I mentioned in another post he played exclusively at LT in the SB and was dominant. He's also taller than Beachum, although still short for a LT prospect but he makes up for it with his vine like arms. He also graded as the best pass blocking Tackle in the nation last year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well he was drafted in the third round and like I mentioned in another post he played exclusively at LT in the SB and was dominant. He's also taller than Beachum, although still short for a LT prospect but he makes up for it with his vine like arms. He also graded as the best pass blocking Tackle in the nation last year.


Hey I’ll be thrilled if he beats the odds and that’s what ends up happening. But the number of times Macc has outsmarted the league in any way is somewhere in the 0-2 range, so I’m not counting on it. I’m just glad he finally invested a “high pick” on the OL and that the kid seems to have potential.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not following you here.  If you take an offensive lineman in rounds 5-7, you're not penicling him as a starter in 3 years.  You're hoping he's good enough to make the roster and provide depth.  If they ended up being a starter, you thank your lucky blessings because it's rare. 

 

 

16 % of 5th round OL go on to be starters. It’s not a bad bet to hope for a starter every now and again.

 

But yes, the 2-4 range is the ideal area to find your non-LT starters.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Expect it?  Only if we have a new GM. 

I expect the pick to be...drumroll, the CONSENSUS “best player” when the Jets pick next year in the 1st.

That player could well be a Safety or a DT.

Hey you can’t blame Maccagnan for being consistent, he’ll do that...again. He has somehow managed to remain GM of the NYJ for 5 YEARS, with more of his picks busting than ANY GM over that same timeframe.

Could only happen with the current and ALWAYS Jet Owners.  Team appreciates in Value over $50 Million EVERY year, rain or shine, 1-15 season, doesn’t matter.  You own ANY team with NY in front of it, same as being able to print money.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

 

16 % of 5th round OL go on to be starters. It’s not a bad bet to hope for a starter every now and again.

 

But yes, the 2-4 range is the ideal area to find your non-LT starters.

That's interesting.  Where did you get that stat?  Does it include guys who started game because of injury to a starter or is truly guys who went on to be full time staters.

The Jets have taken 3 that I can remember, Aboushi, Shell and Harrison.  Harrison never played.  Shell started.  Aboushi was a depth guy but started games (I wonder if he's part of your stats).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, RobR said:

He played LT strictly at the SB and he was dominant.

Exactly. Don’t understand why folks are dismissing him as a LT at the NFL level.

It’s all about projecting what these guys can do at the next level, what their strengths and weaknesses are. I don’t really see him as a bruising road grader type RT but it’s apparent he has the athleticism and arm length to play LT and at a very high level. 

It’s not a stretch to believe you can find such a player in the 3rd round. Especially just the 4th pick in the third round. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Huh?  Of course you draft for depth.  The second you get to round 4, you're realistically looking at depth and back ups.  Team routinely take QB's for depth.  

You're just a Jets fan and every single position on the team could be upgraded, so maybe in our case you dont.  But teams absolutely draft for depth. 

Nope, you are projecting every player to be more than jag depth that you hope never plays.  The lower round guys not being as good end up being back ups or less but when you draft them you are not drafting a corner from rutgers with knee problems because you think he can be competition for Clark as the #6 Cb on the team.  You are drafting him because you figure he is dropping due to injury and has the ability to be a starter some day.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's interesting.  Where did you get that stat?  Does it include guys who started game because of injury to a starter or is truly guys who went on to be full time staters.
The Jets have taken 3 that I can remember, Aboushi, Shell and Harrison.  Harrison never played.  Shell started.  Aboushi was a depth guy but started games (I wonder if he's part of your stats).


I got it from another poster, I’ll try to find it!
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JiF said:

That's interesting.  Where did you get that stat?  Does it include guys who started game because of injury to a starter or is truly guys who went on to be full time staters.

The Jets have taken 3 that I can remember, Aboushi, Shell and Harrison.  Harrison never played.  Shell started.  Aboushi was a depth guy but started games (I wonder if he's part of your stats).

Defensive tackle from Michigan? It doesn't matter. It's not so many that one doesn't constitute exceeding expectations. Same as with Shell and Herndon as far as finding third day starters in general.

Maccagnan is an idiot but he's not so much bigger an idiot compared to all the other idiots as to make any difference. Embrace the variance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well I fully expect him to contribute right away and play multiple positions on this OL. He will be a starter at some point probably towards mid-season. Unless he totally scrubs out this situation is probably the best one for him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally I hope he practices 70-30 LT vs RT, simply so that he can fill in at RT in a pinch, but that he is groomed to be the LT of the future here and be able to fill in if Beachum gets hurt.

Most players "can't" play LT as they aren't athletic enough to handle speed rushers, well Egoda is athletic enough and would have been a top 50 selection if he had better work ethic which is one of the few things that is actually fixable.   He also had some weird thing where he bumped an official but I dont know the story around that.

We should hope that Shell and Beachum stay healthy, Egoda gets stronger and develops into a starting caliber LT for years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Nope, you are projecting every player to be more than jag depth that you hope never plays.  The lower round guys not being as good end up being back ups or less but when you draft them you are not drafting a corner from rutgers with knee problems because you think he can be competition for Clark as the #6 Cb on the team.  You are drafting him because you figure he is dropping due to injury and has the ability to be a starter some day.

 

I don’t think you could be more wrong.  You have a roster of 53 players and salary cap, you absolutely are looking for guys to fill the roster from a depth perspective.  You can only start 22 and there are 7 rounds of picks.  Having depth on next to nothing valued rookie contracts is highly valuable for a team.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Nope, you are projecting every player to be more than jag depth that you hope never plays.  The lower round guys not being as good end up being back ups or less but when you draft them you are not drafting a corner from rutgers with knee problems because you think he can be competition for Clark as the #6 Cb on the team.  You are drafting him because you figure he is dropping due to injury and has the ability to be a starter some day.

 

Because of the injury, this was not your typical 6th round pick where ordinarily you are looking for depth or a backup. 

This was betting on a steal. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Exactly. Don’t understand why folks are dismissing him as a LT at the NFL level.

It’s all about projecting what these guys can do at the next level, what their strengths and weaknesses are. I don’t really see him as a bruising road grader type RT but it’s apparent he has the athleticism and arm length to play LT and at a very high level. 

It’s not a stretch to believe you can find such a player in the 3rd round. Especially just the 4th pick in the third round. 

Good post and that is exactly how I feel about this prospect. He has long arms and does a great job with his kick slide which lends itself towards the left side. The Senior Bowl played him exclusively at LT, which speaks volumes. He also put on a bunch of weight this year so even at only 6'3" he'll probably end up playing around 310-315.

Only caveat with your post was that he was selected in the bottom half of the third, not the fourth pick of the round. You might be confusing him with Polite who went at that spot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, RobR said:

Good post and that is exactly how I feel about this prospect. He has long arms and does a great job with his kick slide which lends itself towards the left side. The Senior Bowl played him exclusively at LT, which speaks volumes. He also put on a bunch of weight this year so even at only 6'3" he'll probably end up playing around 310-315.

Only caveat with your post was that he was selected in the bottom half of the third, not the fourth pick of the round. You might be confusing him with Polite who went at that spot.

Yeah brain lock. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...