Jump to content
CrazyCarl40

Geno Smith Rides Again!

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Apache 51 said:

Can we name a Mountaineer Qb that was a big success?

Really thought Major Harris was going to be great. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

Can we name a Mountaineer Qb that was a big success?

There's quite a few upper level FBS football programs that have lacked successful pro QB's; Ohio State and Louisville being the best examples.  LSU is another, unless you want to count Bert Jones or go all the way back to Y.A. Tittle.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

There's quite a few upper level FBS football programs that have lacked successful pro QB's, Ohio State and Louisville being the best examples.  LSU is another, unless you want to count Bert Jones or go all the way back to Y.A. Tittle. 

 

Dot forget the old LB  U, Penn State.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Apache 51 said:

Dot forget the old LB  U, Penn State.

Yep.  And FSU's best product was Brad Johnson. 

West Virginia had 2x Pro Bowler Marc Bulger and Super Bowl winner Jeff Hostetler, for whatever its worth....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was all in on Geno Smith.  Watching his descent into irrelevance since being exiled from the Jets is not enough to quench my dislike for this man.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

People love ripping on Idzik for taking Geno Smith in the 2nd round.  He was a 3-year starter who completed 71 % of his throws and had a 42/6 TD:INT ratio his Senior season.

Meanwhile, Christian Hackenberg never had a season where he completed more than 59 % of his throws and had a career 48/31 TD:INT ratio.  He also couldn't complete 60 % of his throws against lowly Indiana despite getting 3 attempts at it.

Hackenberg wasn't in Geno's stratosphere as a prospect. 

Yeah Maccagnan never got the memo that if a guy can’t complete at least 60% in college...he’s undraftable.

Hackenberg was his lottery ticket, if he hits he looks like a total genius, if he whiffs..”hey it’s not like other GMs who miss QBs in the 1st Rd”, and he thought of that before he made that pick.

I think he drafts lots of old rookies with the same mentality.  I know I would have much preferred using last years #3 on Oline (cause you know you just lucked into your Franchise QB, saving your job, do you think he might need you to build up the most important unit on any football team?) rather than another “old” rookie DT from some college no one ever heard of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yeah Maccagnan never got the memo that if a guy can’t complete at least 60% in college...he’s undraftable. Hackenberg was his lottery ticket, if he hits he looks like a total genius, if he whiffs..”hey it’s not like other GMs who miss QBs in the 1st Rd”, and he thought of that before he made that pick. I think he drafts lots of old rookies with the same mentality.  I know I would have much preferred using last years #3 on Oline (cause you know you just lucked into your Franchise QB, saving your job, do you think he might need you to build up the most important unit on any football team?) rather than another “old” rookie DT from some college no one ever heard of. 

 

 

 No one with Hacks resume had ever succeeded in the NFL. Not even close. Guys with his resume were Dave Ragone types: a guy who belonged in the late rounds. Not the 2nd round.

 

He wasn’t a lottery ticket, because at least someone usually wins the lottery. It was always going to be a bust pick. And everyone but Macc knew it. That’s why it was his worst pick here. And not only did he take Hack, we passed on QBs in the next class too because of him.

 

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

 No one with Hacks resume had ever succeeded in the NFL. Not even close. Guys with his resume were Dave Ragone types: a guy who belonged in the late rounds. Not the 2nd round.

 

He wasn’t a lottery ticket, because at least someone usually wins the lottery. It was always going to be a bust pick. And everyone but Macc knew it. That’s why it was his worst pick here. And not only did he take Hack, we passed on QBs in the next class too because of him.

 

 

Good post, totally agree.  And you’re right, I’m wrong, Hackenberg couldn’t even be called a “lottery ticket”.

Not only did Maccagnan “hold his b*lls” and pick a Safety the following year, when the Jets were in dire need of a QB, he passed on a 1st ballot HOFer, Mahomes, who I was yelling for him to pick in the SAME way I was in ‘83 for Dan Marino.

Understand, and this is crucial when assessing Maccagnan, if not for Gettleman forgetting how to be a GM since coming to the Giants, the Jets could very well have either Josh Allen or Josh Rosen as their QB right now (Maccagnan’s hand was forced to get a QB last year to save his job, and he knew it).  Kenny O’Brien, taken instead of Marino, was 10x the QB Allen or Rosen will EVER BE.....and O’Brien never won a playoff game in his 10 year career.

But, out of sheer luck, I think Sam Darnold is the ultimate consolation prize if you can’t have Mahomes, because I think he’ll be one of the best QBs in the league for a long time.  

Maccagnan shouldn’t get credit, because his trade up guaranteed ONLY Allen or Rosen.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

People love ripping on Idzik for taking Geno Smith in the 2nd round.  He was a 3-year starter who completed 71 % of his throws and had a 42/6 TD:INT ratio his Senior season.

Meanwhile, Christian Hackenberg never had a season where he completed more than 59 % of his throws and had a career 48/31 TD:INT ratio.  He also couldn't complete 60 % of his throws against lowly Indiana despite getting 3 attempts at it.

Hackenberg wasn't in Geno's stratosphere as a prospect. 

I was never much of a Geno fan, as folks know, but I still have to +1 this post.

The Geno pick wasn't a bad pick.  Geno just turned out to be a bad, immature, person.

The Hack pick....whoah.

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Apache 51 said:

Can we name a Mountaineer Qb that was a big success? Besides HOSS

I would have to look that up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, slats said:

People love to crap all over Geno -and I get it, it's not like he's a likable guy- but he's a better QB than Paxton Lynch, who he'll be replacing. You look around the league, and he's better than a lot of backups out there. 

But but but buttfumble 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, slats said:

Unlike Geno, Mark got paid. He'd probably still be in the league if he needed the money, but he doesn't seem to want to put in the work. 

Only got paid by the jets lol. He was a 3rd stringer everywhere else. He was a 3rd stringer when he got busted for PEDs.. So he was desperate to even play as a 3rd stringer if he was resulting to illegal drug use. Just like with kaperncick, he is nowhere near good enough to take the baggage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

 No one with Hacks resume had ever succeeded in the NFL. Not even close. Guys with his resume were Dave Ragone types: a guy who belonged in the late rounds. Not the 2nd round.

 

He wasn’t a lottery ticket, because at least someone usually wins the lottery. It was always going to be a bust pick. And everyone but Macc knew it. That’s why it was his worst pick here. And not only did he take Hack, we passed on QBs in the next class too because of him.

 

 

It’s almost over

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Geno Smith is the Nuke Laloosh of the NFL

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JiF said:

That's weird, I was told Geno was going to be blackballed from the league after the Jets.

hmph

Four teams in four years... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a horrible qb. Worst deep ball thrower I have ever scene.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have never known anyone as dumb as he is.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

I have never known anyone as dumb as he is.

The movies excuse! So many holes. Did the threater post the showtimes in East Coast time? Wouldn’t he be 3 hours early rather than late if he messed up the time zones? The best was during media availability he was asked what movie he saw and he froze like a deer in headlights before stammering out “no comment.” Brainiac didn’t anticipate that question and have his lie pre-ready? 

Fact is he was out doing God knows what, maybe hungover maybe still drunk, and the movies is the only way to excuse not picking up his cell. THAT’S why he was forced into such an idiotic tale, even though it made him look like a friendless jerk who nobody on the team wanted to hang with. But hey Rex bought it, so maybe Geno was only the second dumbest on the squad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, jgb said:

The movies excuse! So many holes. Did the threater post the showtimes in East Coast time? Wouldn’t he be 3 hours early rather than late if he messed up the time zones? The best was during media availability he was asked what movie he saw and he froze like a deer in headlights before stammering out “no comment.” Brainiac didn’t anticipate that question and have his lie pre-ready? 

Fact is he was out doing God knows what, maybe hungover maybe still drunk, and the movies is the only way to excuse not picking up his cell. THAT’S why he was forced into such an idiotic tale, even though it made him look like a friendless jerk who nobody on the team wanted to hang with. But hey Rex bought it, so maybe Geno was only the second dumbest on the squad.

Hey, finishing second in a loaded field like that is pretty impressive.😎

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, rammagen said:

I would have to look that up

If only you were sitting in front of some sort of device that could allow you to do such a thing.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Geno is a worse backup than he was a starter. You want your backup to either be a guy with "promise" or a veteran with good work habits who can help the younger players (and maybe win a game or two). He fills neither of those roles and he's not a good QB so he's unlikely to win you a game or two. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Geno's NYC legacy will always be.

 

The Giants announced Tuesday that Eli Manning would not be starting for the team in Week 13, instead turning the reigns over the Geno Smith. With Smith starting under center, the Giants are starting the franchise’s first black quarterback and becoming the final team in the NFL to do so.

Smith getting the nod now means that all 32 teams in the NFL will have started a black quarterback in at least one game. The Giants were the last remaining team after the Patriotsstarted Jacoby Brissett in 2016.

Manning was initially offered to get a ceremonial start in Week 13 before being pulled for Smith but declined the offer — feeling it would tarnish his streak with the team by artificially lengthening it, rather than letting it end.

“My feeling is that if you are going to play the other guys, play them,” Manning said. “Starting just to keep the streak going and knowing you won’t finish the game and have a chance to win it is pointless to me, and it tarnishes the streak.

Smith has not started a game since 2016 with the Jets, where he was the team’s second-round pick in the 2013 NFL draft. He had a series of ups and downs, languishing in largely mediocre Jets’ offenses before being benched and leaving at the end of his rookie deal.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Geno Smith rides what? The mini bike used in dumb and dumber? With Robbie Anderson on the back?

Geno Smith is not only one of the dumbest people on the planet but he's also an organizational CANCER. Geno Smith is yet another indictment on John Idzik as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2019 at 5:46 PM, Warfish said:

I was never much of a Geno fan, as folks know, but I still have to +1 this post.

The Geno pick wasn't a bad pick.  Geno just turned out to be a bad, immature, person.

The Hack pick....whoah.

Isn't that what the combine interviews are for - to identify bad, immature prospects?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Isn't that what the combine interviews are for - to identify bad, immature prospects?

 His immaturity/personality is what dropped him to round 2. But from a talent standpoint he was still the best QB prospect amongst a very bad group of QBs that year, so he was a good gamble in the 2nd.

 

I’m sure a few teams removed Geno from their boards entirely during that draft prep process.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
People love to crap all over Geno -and I get it, it's not like he's a likable guy- but he's a better QB than Paxton Lynch, who he'll be replacing. You look around the league, and he's better than a lot of backups out there. 
Paxton lynch has more upside. Geno might have more experience but most of that doesn't make him look good. Additionally Paxton is not prone to season ending facial injuries.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now



Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...